Old 11-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Default Evening Snack Attack

Hi all,
Don't know if any of you have this problem, but in the evening, I can't seem to help myself from eating - just about everything I see in the pantry or Fridge. I'm very good/controlled with breakfast and eat a small, healthy lunch, but somehow after I get home from work and have finished making dinner for my teen kids, I get this urge to eat, almost like a binge feeling. Makes me crazy and of course I feel bad about myself for caving in. Is there something that acts as an appetite suppresant that might prevent this? It may even be caused by the stress of the day, and the fact that my daily "tasks" are done? ...

Thanks friends
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I had this just last night - went from one thing to another - never a well-rounded plate and not sure why. Fiance was working nights and his daughter had left the day before ... wondered if it was because I was alone and no one was there to see - does that make me a sneak eater? And it was nearly ALL carbs. Will plan to eat a decent dinner this evening and snack on popcorn later. But I even made a cheese sandwich at 10 last night on a fresh, new roll! In my mind, that's how a close friend gained a lot of weight - cheese sandwiches all the time - to the exclusion of any balanced meals. So when I do that, I worry!!

Before I started drinking a glass of tomato juice to get in another veggie and to fill me up a bit, but last night i didn't feel full at all. I'll be looking here for others' tips!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Yes, it's usually when no one else is around, but I don't do it consciencly. I'll try to drink hot tea or something tonight. Hey, how do you get that weight ticker at the bottom of your profile?
Thanks
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #4  

Height: 5'3"

I have the very same problem, however my dh can be around and I still do it. I try to keep my cupboards free of any snack foods I really like, but I will binge on saltine crackers and Smart Balance or peanut butter and bread. It is hard to not have those types of things on hand! The only thing that helps me is what I call my beans and greens diet. The reason it helps is because beans and vegetables are very filling if you eat enough of them. Most are full of fiber. I allow myself 4 fruits a day, up to 1 cup beans or tofu (usually it's beans), up to 1 cup of nuts or seeds (I use flaxseed meal, chia seeds and esp sunflower seeds), one serving starchy grain or vegetable (potato, corn) and as many veggies I can eat a day...at least 1/2 fresh most days. I don't keep to it exactly as I also allow myself up to 3 serv of dairy (sometimes I substitute soy though) and about 2 oz meat a day. It is recommended that if you eat meat you should eat fish only but I do eat beef too. Because it takes some thinking and planning and just because I sometimes get away from this diet but when I keep to it, my weight drops (even when I get too many calories sometimes!) and my blood sugar is the best it ever is (I'm diabetic).

Good luck!
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

Before dinner, usually while I'm fixing it, I get myself a glass of wine. Maybe two. By the time we're eating, I'm pleasantly relaxed, if not downright sleepy. The trouble comes after dinner, especially after my husband has gone to bed, leaving his myriad of snackie snacks all over the place. I have a load of after dinner eats that I eke out. Two apples, two raw carrots, two yogurt cups and an applesauce cup. If I manage to plow through all this, I have made a good habit this past 18months, of eating just a few of his crackers or chips. It used to be after dinner, I'd start a new package of crackers, cookies, chips, whatever, and feel compelled to empty it. It's been working for me. What is it about after dinner?
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:26 AM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

I think my evening snacking (too often binging)is more habit than anything. I am a very addictive person anyway and I have eaten from dinner until bedtime for many many years. This is mostly the cause of my gaining weight. In the past I probably could blame some of it on the stress of raising four kids, and my work, but I haven't had that excuse for some time now.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #7  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

When I have the munchies, I eat sunflower seeds. I buy the giant seeds in the hulls, measure out the whole package in 100 calorie packets. one packet takes a long time to eat plus they're good for you. Or you can put 100 calories worth of popcorn in a brown paper bag, spray it with butter flavored pam and pop it. I have a stove top popper and a microwave popper but I still like the brown bag popcorn the best and no kitchen clean-up.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote