Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #181  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning everyone,

Well, actually, good afternoon. I'm not moving too quickly this mornning. Nothing wrong, just lazy. Not a lot going on either, my favorite kind of day. I do need to go to the grocery store. This is my weekend to work and I need food for work. I've mentioned before how lacking out cafateria is. Being especially good this week with Thanksgiving just around the corner. I'm planning that too, making sure there are lots of things that I can eat without over doing it too much. I intend to have some treats though, it's Thanksgiving!!! DS called this morning and we talked about Christmas. Not a lot of gifts this year, please! One thing I would like though is one of the weighted hula-hoops that they have at Curves. It helps wittle the waist line. Who doesn't need that, and it's fun.

Rosie, your snow men/women are darling. I agree with Z, you need to market them.

Z, I watch my mother slowely getting more and more forgetful and it makes me realize that life is so fragile. We're all going to get old, if we're lucky. Only one alternative. I see people clinging to their homes well past the time they are able to care for themselves, and i understand it more and more. I don't want to have to live with my family, as much as I love them. Althought I come from a culture (southern) that it's not unusual to seeing 3 generations living together. I guess worrying about that is unproductive. Something you have to make decisions about then the time comes.

Jess, In store demonstrations? Like at Costco where they give all the samples and I want to try everything? I'm afraid I would try everything!

Bobbi, I know therapy isn't going to help overnight, but I hope you get relief soon.

Lynn, I love broccoli too. I intend to try the lemon broccoli soon and add it to my "book" of go to recipes, along with my broccoli salad. A marathon? Can't even imagine, but it sure gives you some focus on exercising.

Mary, son't watch Survivor but I was watching Dancing with the stars. I think I'm through with that too. I can't believe how that's going.

Everyone, have a wonderful day,

Freda
Old 11-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #182  

Morning everyone..its is cold here..i have on 2 pairs of socks(none of them match ) you would think that becuz my feet have no feeling i wouldnt be able to tell if they are cold but i do they ache..to answer some questions about the snow people..they are stuffed with rice,it weights them down,,years ago my dd and i sold our crafts at the annual xmas bazzarr..we did really well..my biggest seller was the snowmen and ornaments, maybe i should sell them in e-bay lol. Besides the snowmen i made hand crafted beaded jewelry and hair barretts,stamped cards,and other xmas decorations..becuz my dd family was growing and she works fulltime she had to give up the crafting for awhile,and i couldnt do it alone,its lots of work. I have always been a crafter,it keeps me sane,now i mostly make things and give them away,,i always have something going be it crocheting,quilting,making my own clothes,scrapbooking,card making,jewelry making etc ,i usually have crafty fluffs everywhere..right now its the glitter as i use adhesive spray on the snow people and sprinkel them with snow like glitter so they sparkel..see im quite passionate about my hobbies,,my dh puts up with it even tho he had glitter in his beard yesterday,,i must say he looked festive lol, no word on my surg date im going to call later and see whats up.. im irratated,i wish theyed get their act together,, hoping you all have a great day ttfn rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 11-19-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #183  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! We skipped the gym yesterday but we went this morning. What I'm doing is really not much of a workout for me but I figure if I were home I'd get less so it's better than that. We were there about 50 min I think. Stopped at the store and found some more iCool for $14.95 and this time I DID have my $5 coupon with me so got a great discount! Yea! I should be well stocked up now for the winter! If you don't yet know about iCool, check my post on menopause and hot flashes.

It is very wet and pretty cold out...it feels like snow is coming and it is predicted. We rarely get much snow or have it last long but about every 10 years we get a big one. Not sure when the last big snow was but they are forecasting a hard winter. So dh is more focused than ever on going south. I was trying to get him to stay home but then got to thinking it might be harder for him to be here if we do get a lot of snow and ice. And although I'd be happy to stay home, I want to be with him and for him to be happy.

Did well with my eating yesterday until last night. Went back to the family room to watch a show and picked up a bag of tortillas left from using a little for a topping on a Mexican type casserole. Wouldn't you know I had to eat them all...well almost all..I threw away the crumbs at bottom at least! My dh only had a handful so I ate most of them. Rarely even buy the things just because of this. So far today I have done well and hope to remember not to overeat tonight. Something just seems to take over my brain between 7 and 10 pm.......and this something is NOT my friend!! I'd say the made me do it but I know I'm doing it to myself. I have all the info and tools I need to get control of this, I just have to apply them.

All i have done since I got home is to clean out the door shelves and the front and top of the fridge, cleaned microwave (in/out) and dishwasher door. Funny how a dishwasher door can get so grimy, isn't it? Still need to change sheets and pickup the rest of the house.

Last night I went through the gifts I have purchased throughout the year online. Laid them out on the guest room bed in stacks for each person. Some I'm not sure who they will go to. Needed to see who I still have to buy for. As usual when I buy ahead, the purchases (all good buys) look so puny...feel like i need to buy more. But we have 20 people to buy more (incl ourselves) this year so I have to cut back. I figured what I spent throughout the year on good deals I could subtract from what we saved in our Christmas fund and maybe some of that money could instead go toward our savings for a new car! So I plan to stick to that no matter my misgivings right now. The thing is I love to give...and giving has always been one of those things I do best...according to my kids LOL, so it is difficult for me to cut back now even though I know I need to. Unless you are wealthy I don't see how grandparents can keep up with all their kids and grands for ever....do any of you have great-grandchildren and if so, how do you handle gifts?

Lynn - yeah, I love that the oldest woman on survivor is stronger than them all! I'd like to see her win the whole thing..so far there really isn't anyone else that stands out to me anyway. I think that nasty little troll, Russell spoiled me for any one else. I know, i know everyone else hated him but I liked him! Have to admit I liked the twinkle in his eye when he was conning someone!

Karen3 - loved the old lady story!! Really something to think about too in how we treat people young or old for that matter. You never know what's going on in their lives.

Zoe, I know what you mean...it's hard to think about being in that situation in life. But my philosophy is that I think that no matter what our condition in life, if we are still here, there's a purpose for our life. Even if we are wetting/messing our beds and have to be dependent for all our care. Maybe it's because others need to learn compassion and to take care of others, or maybe we need to learn to be humble and accept their help. Whatever, there's a reason and every stage of life is precious. One day our helper will likely be on the receiving in...and on it goes. So we need to learn compassion and to show mercy and love. No, It doesn't make us enjoy our condition but knowing that nothing is just by accident and we got the short end of the stick kinda helps me through things in life.

My grandmother lived to be 104. For most of her life she was pretty independent although she did live with her dds from time to time. There were several times when she almost died but she always got well and she used to say that she prayed to die. We'd tell her God wasn't done with her and she still had something to do for Him, and I truly believe she did. In her 80s and 90s she had her own apartment even where my mom and dad checked on her often and I'd spend the night with her when my parents were out of town. I remember as a teenager...I slept with her and I was so scared she would die while I was there! LOL Never told her of course. She had an antique clock that ticked so loudly I had a hard time sleeping too. Grandma had long white hair and looked so old to me. But later when I was about 28 we went back for a visit. By then she had a dd who was widowed and lived with her. Grandma was mostly bed-ridden and required a lot of care just because of weakness. She was 100 or maybe a little more by then and rarely got out of bed again and she also couldn't see very well. But she was completely alert and with it mentally and shesat up and talked with us and got to meet my first two children who were about 5 and 2 I think. I'm sure I learned a lot from her life even then and also from the loving care I saw my mom and aunts give her.

Well, better go do the things I haven't yet done today before it gets any later...have a good evening everyone and stay nice and cozy! Esp you Rosey!!

Last edited by maryea; 11-19-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #184  

Hi everyone.. well my surg is on for the 30th i need to be in anchorage on the 24 th for pre-op physical etc..then we are going to my dd's for thanksgiving..after the surg i need to stay in the area for 1 week..so i'll be in hosp 2-3 days if things go well and then another week at my dd's..am glad its finally going to happen,however im nervous and excited at the same time..i should be able to post from my dd's.. we can even take our dogs.. along with all my equipment,wheel chair, walker, bath bench and various grabbers (sigh at least they make my life easier).its a win win situation for us all..its my dd's 40th b-day today..hard to believe the yrs have gone by so fast..and im feeling old..i want to thank you all for the support,it means alot rosey
Old 11-20-2010, 01:23 AM   #185  

Wow Rosey it won't be long. I can imagine how you must feel. I'm sure you will be glad when it's all over and you can start your new life.

I just signed on to say that I FINALLY had a good eating day! And not even any real desire to overeat. Hope tomorrow will be the same.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:24 AM   #186  

Hi gee im newsey today im babysitting for my niece,she has custody of her brothers girls,he was killed in a car accident a yr ago and the girls mother is in jail for dealing..they are great kids but have kept me hopping..i luv it..my niece is at a church retreat..wanted to share a few pics ((hugs)) rosey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 117.jpg (17.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 120.jpg (21.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 123.jpg (29.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #187  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

After 2 weeks of leaving the candy alone, I noticed the mini-Musketeers bag was open. I stuffed myself with 10 of them. Double-dog rats! I am tightening my belt for the next two days (literally). Weigh-in is Monday. I am still under my goal weight, but I mean to keep it that way. Trouble time is between dinner and bed. I know I can do it!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #188  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all ~

Took a vacation day today ~ have to pick my son up at the airport this afternoon. Will be my first time to go there alone ~ I'm a little anxious and hoping not to make any wrong turns, but I need to do it.

4xcharm ~ I would struggle too if I came upon a stash of Three Musketeers. My little granddaughter (3 yrs old) was trying to shove a milk dud into my mouth the other night ~ I kept telling her no thank you and didn't give in to that milk dud ~ now if it had been a musketeers or some other chocolate candy bar ~ I might have given in ~ LOL.

Rosey ~ I love that swing in your house and your stair banister made out of the tree branches.

Zoe ~ enjoy your time off

Karen31 ~ the story about the little lady was thought provoking.

Sometimes I get to thinking about that time in my life ~ a lot of mixed emotions about it. First I will go through it with my parents. Makes me worry what will become of them. I wish I lived nearby them so I could help them more. For myself, I sometimes think some about that time in my life ~ I get to worrying and all. Then I try to stop myself, because I feel like I am missing the enjoyment of the present ~ worrying about what lies ahead.

Hello to everyone else ~ sorry not to get to make a comment for the rest of you. Got some stuff to do for getting ready to go to work tomorrow.

Hope you all have a nice weekend.

Take care
Old 11-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #189  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
So interesting that so many of us seem to be having the exact insanity issues... "OMG, I can't keep my mouth empty!" I even went so far as to snap a rubber band on my wrist whenever I wanted to sabotage/indulge, and that resulted in a sore wrist and nothing else! I got a huge shock from the dreaded scale, so, as of NOW (again! This time I MEAN it!), I am on my way to being a mere shadow of my former self!

Freda, I think we'd get canned if they caught us eating the samples! Yes, the in-store demonstrations can also be things like pet products, etc. It's just 4 hours on a Saturday and/or Sunday, which is doable, and the pay isn't bad. It'll get me into the shower, out into proper society, and will help a bit with the finances.

Rosey, I'm so happy for you! I know everything will be just fine!!

Bobbi, headache? PT/Zoe, what's on your agenda for the weekend? I hope you have something relaxing, for at least one of your days, during the long holiday break!

Everyone, hope you're all well! Be warm, dry, and safe!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #190  

Its a quiet overcast day here but not raining right now at least. My dh went to get gas and I'm about ready to go to the mall for some Christmas shopping. I don't really like to shop offline any more but am reluctant to do any more online in case it doesn't come before we have to ship and leave. Trying to plan for our trip in the event the doctors say yes as we think they will.

So far today...vacuumed main rooms, dusted a little and am doing laundry. Want to strip our bed completely...and wash everything down to the mattress pad today.

Well dh is back so I need to get off this computer. I also have to put on a roast to cook...bbq sandwiches tonight. Trying to say away from starchy carbs so I can eat a roll tonight. It isn't even a whole grain roll, by my dh's choice.

I ate good yesterday and dropped almost 3 lbs overnight! Probably some due to increased exercise but usually with me it's my eating mainly. However despite that, my morning bs was quite high! So still working on that.

Last edited by maryea; 11-20-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #191  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Good afternoon all....Spent the day getting the entire house cleaned up. Someone keeps sprinkling salt and crust all over the just wiped down kitchen counter and dropping them on the just washed kitchen floor. And it isn't me or even dash. like clean empty laundry hampers it just doesn't happen around here. Must be the troll.

Rosie....wow! 10 days! What a great start you'll have for the New Year.

Gayle...good luck with your drive to the airport. I have a GPS and it works fine when someone is in the car to hear it talk. It is a pitch that my hearing aides just don't pick up. Except when I make a wrong turn and she gets ticked off. Some reason i can hear...WRONG TURN RECalulating.....Or last year when on a new road and she started screaming back up you are in a field....love to screw up machines that are smarter than me!

Easy dinner tonight. Defrosted a tub of pork and red cabbage. The smell when defrosting in microwave brought the boys to the kitchen. It may not be Fall down here, but still want Fall flavors. Hey, check the moon out. It is beautiful. It is visible around 5pm here....and not dark until way later. Is this the harvest moon or was that last month?

4xcharm....Throw the darn bag away....Don't freeze they are great frozen. That's why i bought only candy I hate for halloween.

Just found the cutest apple pie lollipops in Martha S. magazine. "Food". Can't decide to do them for Thanksgiving or for bridge next Tuesday. That woud blow the old folks minds. Dessert a stick. I did pasta salad on a stick one time. They loved that. Where do you get lollipop sticks?

Time to go put dinner on to heat...hugs, karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 11-20-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #192  

S/C/G: 268/259/155

Height: 5'3.5"

Rosey , love the swing and your cabin !! The log cabin has been a dream of DH & mine for years ... instead we bought an RV and travel instead ( only during the summer ! ) !!! LOL ! The girls look happy ! Good luck on your surgery too ! So nice to have a date already !!! Sure can tell you don't live in BC or you would be waiting for 6 months - 2 yrs to get any kind of surgery with our long wait lists !

It has been a stressful week here as DH has been suffering a bad flare-up of Crohn's so he was home most of the week . It has been cold here too and we had a small blizzard go through one day and night which reminded us that winter starts before it says it dows on the calendar ! Unfortunately when I get stressed I make some very bad food choices ............................... which in turns leaves me feeling miserable and out of sorts ...........
Hopefully tomorrow is the start of a new week and I can shake this ' downer " attitude of mine and get on track ........................................
Old 11-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #193  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Good Morning Everyone,

Thanksgiving update - made the gravy last night (I use turkey wings); making the cranberry sauce this morning.

Marathon update - today is the dreaded 8-mile walk. The speed with which I do this will determine whether or not I commit to the 1/2 marathon in January.

Weight update - yesterday, I actually hit 150 - of course, today I am back up to 151. Oh well, it was nice to be at my current goal for at least one weigh in.

Have a good day,

Lynn
Old 11-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #194  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Howdy all...Quiet Sunday afternoon. Kinda cloudy and maybe a late afternoon shower. I hope. Did my weekly shopping this am and can't believe how much I got. Saved $50.59 between coupons and those buy1 get 1 free. ICBINB were 2:1, All 2:1, Mayo 2:1. Even the turkey was only .59/lb. Surprised me no end and the fact I even brought the coupons was a surprise. Couldn't find lollipop sticks. Looked in housewares and by cakes and baking stuff. ?????

Lynn...How did the walk go?

As far as winter goes has anyone checked the woolie bears?

Gotta go make up some dinners for the beginning of the week. Find cooking a storm on sunday helps me stay OP most of the week...hugs, karen3
Old 11-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #195  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
Howdy all...Quiet Sunday afternoon. Kinda cloudy and maybe a late afternoon shower. I hope. Did my weekly shopping this am and can't believe how much I got. Saved $50.59 between coupons and those buy1 get 1 free. ICBINB were 2:1, All 2:1, Mayo 2:1. Even the turkey was only .59/lb. Surprised me no end and the fact I even brought the coupons was a surprise. Couldn't find lollipop sticks. Looked in housewares and by cakes and baking stuff. ?????

Lynn...How did the walk go?

As far as winter goes has anyone checked the woolie bears?

Gotta go make up some dinners for the beginning of the week. Find cooking a storm on sunday helps me stay OP most of the week...hugs, karen3
Hi Karen,

I did great until I hit 6 miles (was doing a 16 min mile). At 6 miles, my foot went numb, and I had to slow down. Ended up finishing at 17 min mile. Was REALLY hurting by the end.

I decided that I will NOT do the January 1/2 marathon & that I will scale back my training next week. Go back to 6 miles as my big weekly walk.

Lynn
Closed Thread