Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello Phyllis! Nice to see you back. Glad to hear that you are doing so well. Will be looking forward to more posts from you. Take it easy.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #77  

Height: 5'1"

Good Afternoon Golden Girls,

Beautiful day here. Cool, but the sun is shining. Great day for a walk outside. I'm afraid those outside walks will be over soon. We got a few snow flurries over the weekend. Nothing to speak of, but a reminder of what is coming.

Phil, So glad to hear from you! I've never seen the home dialysis machines but how wonderful. I know it takes a major commitment to go to dialysis centers 3 days a week for hours at a time. I Pray that you will be able to get the kidney transplant. Please keep in touch, we worry!

Mary, Sorry to hear about your BIL. And I agree, when I eat well I feel so much better. Wouldn't you think we would learn?

Donna, Thanks for the article. We need fat in our diet. I think we make the mistake of thinking that fat is always the enemy. Moderation.

Lynn, Hope your SIL has good luck with the knee surgery. My friend just had the surgery. She did great, but it's a long process.

Rosey and Karen, My dog doesn't do any tricks but she is soooo smart. she has my DH and I trained so well.

Z, Like you, I would never be tempted to wear anything as uncomfortable as a STRING! YUCK!!! I wear uniforms to work and those are as close to PJ's as you can get, and I go for comfort! And all the better if they look good too, but comfort first!

Bobbi, I hope you get some answers at the Dr.'s office. That problem has gone on way too long.

Freda
Old 11-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #78  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Freda ~ enjoy those walks outside while you can

Karen 31 ~ have a safe trip to Colorado and enjoy your time with your son

Lynn ~ hoping for some sunshine up your way and that your SIL knee surgery goes well

Phyl ~ glad to see you back

Donna ~ sorry for the battle with that darn scale ~ but you're back on track now ~ you can do it

Bobbi ~ hope the dr can figure out what is causing your headaches and help make them go away

Zoe ~ glad you are feeling better ~ your cooking a big batch and freezing some for later is a cool idea

Rosey ~ thank you for sharing the pictures of snow and your doggy doing tricks ~ looking forward to seeing pictures of your Christmas projects

Mary ~ sorry to hear about your BIL ~ thoughts and prayers to you and your family

Karen 3 and Gramma J ~ hello how are you doing?

Woodlily ~ hope your sore throat and tiredness have gone and you are feeling better

Trying to get adjusted to the time change. I wish they'd stop messing with the time ~ it always messes me up for a few days. At least this year I wasn't working the night shift ~ on the night shift a 12 hour night becomes a 13 hour night when they turn back the clocks.

It has been cooler here now-a-days. That is nice, but it has been chilly in the house. The heat is on, but it still feels chilly. The down side of cooler weather and my diet is that salads and cold vegetables to munch on are not as appealing to me. Also fruits are cold ~ can't think of many ways to make fruit warm ~ warm applesauce is the only thing that comes to my mind ~ you wonderful cooks ~ any ideas?

Freda ~ what you were saying regarding eating right and feeling better and wouldn't you think we would learn ~ hit home for me. A patient's family brought in home made goodies as a thank you for caring for her mom. I had resisted the yummy looking halloween cookies the day before and the yummy looking doughnuts all morning. Then came those homemade goodies and my resolve broke down. I thought ~ I had gone off my diet for some less worthy thing ~ so I thought if I was gonna go off my diet, the thing should be worth while. I tried one piece of each (there were 3 kinds), but then later gave in to the doughnut and the cookie. After that I didn't feel as good. You'd think I'd learn ~ what is wrong with me?

The information Donna shared about how saturated fat affects overeating ~ maybe explains why I then continued last night and today to eat stuff I shouldn't. Tomorrow will be a better day. I think Wednesday at Weight Watchers weigh in probably won't be such a good one though

At the Weight Watchers meeting they are telling that the first week of Dec. they are introducing changes to the plan. I am excited to hear about that. I have been doing pretty good, but maybe these changes will help me stick with it better. I started out the first few weeks doing pretty good ~ hardly ever messing up, then from time to time got kind of lax with it. I need to do a better job again.

Hope you all are doing well.

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 11-08-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all....Gee Phylis I get to go back out on the interstate and wave to you breezing by...Welcome home kiddo!

The temp is still a wee chilly today and windy. Down in the low 40's tonight. The gas company came and filled our tank. We used 16 gallons of propane last year. That's for the fireplace. This house is double layered....first cinderblocks and then an air space and real brick facade. So when the fire place is lite it warms 6 rooms! Heck light two candles and do the same. Up North we had woodburning stoves and the dust was endless. Reallly love the gas. My test of proper amt of heat is the temperature of the toilet seat!

Dh had 2 bags of pecans for me this afternoon. He bragged to his fishing bud that I make the world's best pecan pie. And so the boys bought me pecans to make the pies for Thanksgiving dinner which we are sharing. Only problem is I have never ever in my whole life ever baked a pecan pie. Gesh looked up recipes and they all include 1 cup lite karo, 1-2 cups sugar, stick of butter plus! Just what the diabetic husband needs....any ideas? Thinking about the brown sugar splenda.....off to the drawing board. If I find a low cal recipe I'll post it.

Steamed all the sweet poatoes and frozen them. Darn freezer is full. There was a .99 sale on chicken breasts and thighs that i couldn't pass. Only meat I have bought in past 3 weeks is dash's turkey thighs and haven't made a dent in the freezer. Made a hugh pot of vegies soup and eating that as side dish every supper. That way i know am getting 5 servings of vegies per day.

I got a new microwave Sat. 1cu 1100KW Sharps. It is much smaller than old one, but right now boils water faster. Have to learn whole new key board. Oh have to pull out book and figure out how to change time in my car, too???? work work work never done...sighhhhhh

Be back tomorrow to do personals....be good...hugs, karen3
Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #80  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

This is just a test, 3fc's said I should try again and let them know what the upload failure says. (Trying to post pictures)

Last edited by Bobbolink; 12-27-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #81  

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers. So far we have been so busy planning our travel etc, not much time to dwell on it but I'm sure it will be harder to say goodbye once we are there at the viewing and memorial service. We went back and forth on flying and driving and decided to drive. Because we have ff miles (and could actually get a flight!) the price isn't much difference, but I think driving MIGHT actually be more comfortable for my dh and we will have our choice when to come home.

We had some bad news though...Joe took car in for change of transmission fluids and found out the transmission is shot! He apparently forgot to replace the fluid soon enough with all that's been going on. Now it is going to cost us $1800-1900 to have the transmission rebuilt! We won't do it until spring though as we will not be driving the car for a few months anyway as we will be RVing (5th wh/pickup). The transmission guy referred us to Enterprise (run by his cousin I guess) and they gave us a good deal on a car for this trip though as he couldn't say but what we might breakdown if we tried to drive our car. Might not, but never know.

So, I've been busy cleaning house, doing laundry and packing and lots of figuring and planning and phone calls to dh and dd. Almost done. Amazing how much I can get done when I have to!

Karen3 - Congrats on the new microwave! I love getting new anything.LOL Oh, I love pecan pie!! I know I should not eat it but very rarely my dh and I will share a pc in a restaurant.

Lynn - is the iCool helping you? The greens and beans diet just means I'm eat a lot more vegetables and beans than I even usually do. I love both so that's a good thing! LOL I find it's the only way to eat that keeps my tummy full and my bs loves it! It's just a hassle to be always looking for more veggies and to remember to eat beans daily. Oh, and also I eat one serving of seeds or nuts a day and very little meat. I do cheat and have 3 dairy daily and most days I eat meat. Tonight we are having tofu. I can have beans or tofu daily...but usually I eat beans. My calories are usually in the 1200-1500 range but eating this way I really don't seem to have to be very concerned about counting calories or even carbs but I still do just in case and because of my deviations to the diet. It's loosely based on the Eat to Live diet.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #82  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

It worked Bobbi ~ there is the picture
Old 11-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 268/259/155

Height: 5'3.5"

Hi ladies ! Just checking in . It has been a struggle the past week or so with DH away and I had a nasty cold so didn't feel like cooking ( which I don't usually mind when he is away ! ) . Saturday he arrived home and we had 2 good meals . Funny how you can actually miss a GOOD meal and not eat-and-grab ! This morning I woke with a horrible migraine so spent the day in bed but tonight I am starving !!! DH was a sweetie though and bought me a small fruit tray today though so at least I had something good to eat . tomorrow life goes back to normal ( whatever that is around here as we have been on a rollercoaster for so long that I am not sure what Normal is ! ) as DH is back to work ( short week though as he has Thursday off as well ! ) . Time to make a menu and try stick to it . DH goes back to the gastro dr on Wednesday though and things may go for another loop as his Crohn's is acting up badly . He has gone through a swack of tests over the past 4 months ( our medical system doesn't move quickly here ) so we will get the whole results then ................... and possibly another surgery in the future ! Life just is taken one day at a time here ... the same as me losing weight ! Thanks for listening ... Gramma J
Old 11-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Good Morning, Everyone,

Today is my SIL’s surgery. Just hanging around home until my DD calls for me to meet her at the hospital waiting room.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Good Afternoon Golden Girls,
Beautiful day here. Cool, but the sun is shining. Great day for a walk outside. I'm afraid those outside walks will be over soon. We got a few snow flurries over the weekend. Nothing to speak of, but a reminder of what is coming. Freda
Hi Freda,
I am worried about not being able to walk outside because of the weather. Next week, my training schedule calls for an 8-mile walk. This would be horrible to do in the gym – 136 times around the track or 2.5 hours on the treadmill! I guess we will just have to hope for mild weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Freda ~ what you were saying regarding eating right and feeling better and wouldn't you think we would learn ~ hit home for me. A patient's family brought in home made goodies as a thank you for caring for her mom. I had resisted the yummy looking halloween cookies the day before and the yummy looking doughnuts all morning. Then came those homemade goodies and my resolve broke down. I thought ~ I had gone off my diet for some less worthy thing ~ so I thought if I was gonna go off my diet, the thing should be worth while. I tried one piece of each (there were 3 kinds), but then later gave in to the doughnut and the cookie. After that I didn't feel as good. You'd think I'd learn ~ what is wrong with me?
Hi Gayle,
When my DH was in the hospital, I used to always bring doughnuts for the nurses. My goal was to have the nurses feel positive about us. For the nurses’ sakes, would have been better if I brought a fruit basket. Does anyone ever do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
Dh had 2 bags of pecans for me this afternoon. He bragged to his fishing bud that I make the world's best pecan pie. And so the boys bought me pecans to make the pies for Thanksgiving dinner which we are sharing. Only problem is I have never ever in my whole life ever baked a pecan pie. karen3
Hi Karen,
Below is my sweet potato pecan pie recipe. It is the best I ever ate – BUT NOT carb-friendly.
Sweet Potato Pie
With Pecan Topping

Ingredients:
 2-3 sweet potatoes (1.5 lbs.) peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
 2 large eggs
 1/3 cup plus ½ cup packed light brown sugar
 3 Tbsps. Pure maple sugar
 ¼ tsp salt
 ½ tsp cinnamon
 ¼ tsp nutmeg
 ¾ cup plus 1 Tbsp heavy cream
 1 prebaked pie crust (9 inch)
 3 Tbsps butter
 1 cup pecans crushed

Directions:
Sweet potato puree: In a large saucepan, cover sweet potatoes with water. Bring to a boil; cook until tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife (about 15 min). Drain; puree in a food processor until completely smooth. Let cool completely before using.

1 Make filling: Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, ½ cup brown sugar, and maple syrup until smooth. Add sweet-potato puree, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ¾ cup cream; whisk until completely smooth. Place cooled crust on a rimmed baking sheet; pour filling into crust.
2 Bake pie on lowest rack of oven until filling is set (about 50 mins). If crust browns too quickly, tent edges with foil. Transfer pie to a rack to cool (1 hour) transfer to refrigerator to cool completely.
3 Make pecan topping: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add remaining ½ cup light brown sugar and pecans. Cook, stiffing, until sugar is incorporated and the mixture is smooth (about 3 mins). Stir in remaining Tbsp cream; let cool 1-2 mins. Pour mixture over cooled pie. With a butter knife or spatula, spread mixture over pie. Cool until topping has hardened, about 30 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Lynn - is the iCool helping you? The greens and beans diet just means I'm eat a lot more vegetables and beans than I even usually do. I love both so that's a good thing! LOL I find it's the only way to eat that keeps my tummy full and my bs loves it! It's just a hassle to be always looking for more veggies and to remember to eat beans daily. Oh, and also I eat one serving of seeds or nuts a day and very little meat. I do cheat and have 3 dairy daily and most days I eat meat. Tonight we are having tofu. I can have beans or tofu daily...but usually I eat beans. My calories are usually in the 1200-1500 range but eating this way I really don't seem to have to be very concerned about counting calories or even carbs but I still do just in case and because of my deviations to the diet. It's loosely based on the Eat to Live diet.
Hi Mary,
I still get a few hot flashes, but they are not as strong as they used to be. I will definitely keep taking it. I need to get back on the track with eating more veggies. I did pretty good for a while but am drifting back to too many carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammajiggles View Post
Funny how you can actually miss a GOOD meal and not eat-and-grab ! This morning I woke with a horrible migraine so spent the day in bed but tonight I am starving !!!
DH goes back to the gastro dr on Wednesday though and things may go for another loop as his Crohn's is acting up badly . He has gone through a swack of tests over the past 4 months ( our medical system doesn't move quickly here ) so we will get the whole results then ................... and possibly another surgery in the future ! Life just is taken one day at a time here ... the same as me losing weight ! Thanks for listening ... Gramma J
Hi Gramma (how about sharing your name with us?)
I ABSOLUTELY agree that nowadays, when I am off my “good” eating, I miss it. Only problem is that eating “good” takes more shopping/planning/preparing than “eat-and-grab.”
Sorry to hear about your migraine. Hope the pain is gone quickly.
Are there any special foods that help or hurt with Crohn’s disease? I have heart issues, diabetes, and cancer. All food recommendations for each of these boil down to the same thing – reasonable portions, low simple carbs, low saturated fat, and lots of veggies.

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 11-09-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #85  

Good Morning all,

I am up early this morning, and with the time change, it's still dark outside. I don't mind the time change so much, but it messes with my little Benny Dog. he gets so confused for awhile.

Mary, have a safe trip.

Bobbi, It WORKED!!! You'll have to tell me how you managed that! And your dog is so handsome! (it is a boy, isn't it?)

Gayle, It's hard to resist goodies at work. And someone is always bringing something in. I have a plan that I use. I only eat it if it's something really great. And you know most of the things are not. If I am really tempted I will take one small bite and decide if it is worth the calories. If not I throw it away. IF it is I eat it and savor every bite. Most things are not worth the calories. Like the donuts. Become choosey.

Lynn, The nurses do appreciate the gifts that families bring in, and yes, people do bring in fruit baskets. I know you're anxious about SIL's surgery but the results are almost always great and people wonder why they waited so long to get it done.

HI Gramma, Hope that migraine is gone! I used to have them and know how painful they are. Have you tried the prescription medication for migraine? Worked wonders for me. It does take more planning to eat healthy. But if you do like Z and most of us I suppose, and freeze portions of healthy meals it makes it much easier to jusg grab something and pop it inot the microwave. Make it as easy for yourself as you can.

Karen, I love pecan (we say pecon, how do you pronounce it?) pie. I hope Lynn's recipe works for you. I just make the regular 1000 calorie a slice kind, but very seldom. Your husband obviously thinks you are a wonderful cook and can manage anything.

Everyone, make it a good day,

Freda
Old 11-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #86  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Gray day here. Drier than yesterday, tho, which is a help. I brought Beano, Rantadine, and Maalox tablets to work with me today because I've been getting wicked gas/heartburn lately. Don't know what that's all about, except possibly that I've been on and off eating a little more than usual. Maybe it's my yo-yo eating patterns? Anyway, I'm prepared, today. Yesterday I was really uncomfortable for most of the day. There doesn't seem to be much that I can just go ahead and straight-out eat anymore without taking some Beano first, and/or Rantadine after. And our "healthy" high-fiber stuff - beans, brocolli, onions, peppers, so on and so forth - really makes it worse, but I figure I don't really have much choice. I could never eat the fluff I used to eat. Overly-sweet stuff or creamy sauces or gravies and such don't even taste that good to me anymore. My biggest problem isn't so much WHAT I eat, as how MUCH of it I eat. Portion control is still a big problem for me, I'm afraid. Oh, well. Just have to keep trying, I guess. I think I might be down a pound or two since I last updated my little weight chart thingie, but I'm not weighing in yet, so I can't be sure. I just go by how my clothes are fitting. Loose = good, weighing in is a real possibility; not as loose = warning, perhaps better to stay off the scale; snug = Hey! Pay attention, here! (but don't get on the scale because it will make you cry); and tight = disgusting; time to get super-serious, but put the scale out in the back of the garage.
Phyllis! So good to hear from you! Glad to hear that your daughter is a good match as a donor, though. Hope everything continues to go well for you -
Freda, where I am, it's getting light earlier in the morning, but it's always dark, now when I'm coming home from work, and I truly dislike it. I'm getting so I don't much care for driving in the dark anymore, and having to do it five nights a week kinda stinks..
Lynn, I agree totally that how we see ourselves is what matters. And not just how we "see" ourselves in the physical sense, but how we feel about who we are at this stage in our lives. It's easy to say that it feels perfectly okay and all, but there really are some deep-seated stereotypes associated with aging that are bound to affect us in one way or another - and moreso, the older we get. I'm finding that I feel a great deal more empathy now with "crabby old ladies" because I can certainly see myself being well on the way to becoming one. I have always been very independent, and a fairly intelligent human being; once I start being treated as if that's not the case, I think it will make me crabby. ("Crabby" = infuriated).
Freda, we pronounce pecan like this: p'cahn. Is that the New England pronunciation, do you suppose? Karen3, be sure to let us know how your award-winning pie turns out!!!!
PT, I've cut back a bit on the Chia seed. Haven't cut it out entirely, but I think I was taking too much, and that it could be one of the factors in my recent digestive issues. I'm not sure, of course, and my diet is very high-fiber and heavy on the veggies and beans and such, but I'm kind of trying to figure myself out, here.
Oh, neat-o, Bobbi! Lovely doggie! Now you can update your avatar pic, too! Actually, I love the idea of changing it every month, but don't take pictures often enough to do it myself.
Gayle, I don't know too many ways to serve fruit hot, except, as you said, apple sauce. The other ways - in pies and cakes and such - wouldn't work for us fat chicks. Maybe somebody else has some good ideas. But for veggies, you can always make a good soup, and take it with you to work. Pop it in the microwave, and have yourself a 60-calorie piece of Joseph's Pita Bread along with it, and it's a very satisfying meal for a chilly day.
Karen3, I'm sending lots of positive vibes for your safe travel and a pleasant visit with your son.
Sorry about the car problems, Mary. It'd be nice if just ONCE in awhile, you took your car into the shop and they found some simple, easy-to-fix problem that they take care of for say, @ $25 ???? Yeah. When pigs fly, they will.
Hope all's well on your end of the continent, Rosey. So far, things are looking a little ominous here, but we'll see what we'll see, I guess.
Hi Lily.
Gramma, welcome and feel free to introduce yourself. I KNOW you're not old enough to be OUR gramma!!!!
Have a good day, one and all -

Z
Old 11-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Lynn, I agree totally that how we see ourselves is what matters. And not just how we "see" ourselves in the physical sense, but how we feel about who we are at this stage in our lives. It's easy to say that it feels perfectly okay and all, but there really are some deep-seated stereotypes associated with aging that are bound to affect us in one way or another - and moreso, the older we get. I'm finding that I feel a great deal more empathy now with "crabby old ladies" because I can certainly see myself being well on the way to becoming one. I have always been very independent, and a fairly intelligent human being; once I start being treated as if that's not the case, I think it will make me crabby. ("Crabby" = infuriated). Z
To be honest, I feel less sure of myself since I retired from work. When I was working, I had a lot of decision-making authority for issues that I felt VERY confident about. Now, my decision-making is about appliances and water heaters and things about which I feel VERY ignorant. I end up turning to my DD and SIL, which in turn, makes me feel dependent.

Also, the fact that I had the loss of my job followed soon after with the loss of my DH feels like I lost the passions in my life. I try to keep busy with things I enjoy in an effort to get myself away from the TV and computer solitaire. I cannot say that I am sad. It is more that the ups and downs of my used-to-be roller coaster life have changed to be slower-paced and more level.

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 11-09-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #88  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Just checking in.... nothing, nothing, nothing, NOTHING is going on here!

KarenMO, is your trip still a "go"? I don't think you'll have any weather problems, coming from your direction. It looks like the storms are coming in from the west and not supposed to be much (so sayeth the WF!)... Drive carefully!

PT/Zoe, hope the digestive woes go away! Maybe you did overdo the fiber; that certainly can mess things up. I'm still doing the chia goop. When I feed SamCat, he gets 1/8 tsp., and I get 1/2 tsp. Since he eats 4 times a day, we both get enough but not too much. I've noticed some good things that I'm attributing to it!

You also talked about portion control. I KNOW! That's the worst thing.... and I'm so impressed with people who can stop. I don't have a shut off button, apparently, and cannot have stuff around. If so, it's down the gullet. It's a sickness, I think...

Anyway... Bobbi, your pup is a cutie! The picture came through just fine! Lynn, hope the weather doesn't keep you inside... Freda, good to hear from you! Rosey, Mary, KarenFL, everyone...... have a good one and do be safe!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #89  

hey Off to get the rest of pie ingredients. Checked this recipe out on Fitday and it came out to 234 cal/slice which is less than 1/3 regular pie.

9" pie shell
1 1/2 cups of evaporated skimmed milk
1/4 cup splenda(brown??)
1tsp butter(oleo)
4 eggs (egg beaters??)
2 tsp corn starch
1/2tsp salt
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp vanilla

Combine milk, sugar, butter, butter, eggs,cornstarch and salt in heavy sauce pa. Cook over med-low heat until well blended. Remove from heat add pecans and vanilla. Allow to rest 10 minutes. Pour into crust and bake for 45-50 minutes @ 375 or until knife comes out clean.

Guess the corn starch acts as thickener instead of karo syrup.

Freda down here they are PeCans in season and peacons when expensive.

Bobbi puppy is beautiful. They get such an aloft look in front of a camera.

back after baking...karen3
Old 11-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #90  

Food report.....IT's a keeper. Considering about 29 different recipe sites said that pecan pie was impossible to make low calorie and to just use smaller slices. Sure Dh and most males have no idea about portion size! A regular rant from me.

I decided to roll out crust thinner and make tartlets. Took 30 minutes to bake and they are really good. Calories are about 43 per tartlet. And Dh was happy with 2! karen3
Closed Thread