Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #241  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning!
Well...it's almost noon. I'm going to tackle my recipe boxes today, I have a drawer full of internet recipes I've printed out and never filed away. I'll take the time to throw out the older never used ones while I'm at it.
One of the bags of apples I purchased for the caramel apples I made yesterday was Cortlands. Yuk! They were mushy and I hate mushy apples. (I'm going to look for a recipe today using them cooked/baked and use them up)
Freda...I did roll some of the apples in crushed peanuts, others I used sprinkles. The apple slices didn't work as well as I thought, the caramel would stick to the peeling part but not the flesh, therefore only part of the slices were coated with caramel and toppings.
Mary...I've missed reading your daily menu's, glad to see you're going to get back on program. I do the same darn thing, stop posting and my weight goes up, up, up!
Lily...I think you can add the gelled Chia to anything you want since it has no or little taste. I don't gel it, just dump it in my morning packets of Fiber One, ground Flax seed and Chia. I make up a weeks worth of the Breakfast packets so I don't have to think in the mornings. One thing I have to be careful about after breakfast, check my teeth. Those little seeds get between my teeth and swell up and only dental floss or a pick will dislodge them.
Rosey...Do you think Sarah Palin will make a good president?
KarenFl...How'd the sweet potato pie come out? I can almost smell the cinnamon from here. I ordered some items on the internet yesterday, one of them was a cinnamon mill, it works like a pepper mill only you grind out fresh cinnamon instead. Should be interesting.
Quote:
Hello from Karen's test kitchnen. Everything is orange! Made up a recipe with sweet potato on the bottom of a pie crust and sliced apples on top with LF granola as topping. It is baking right now. Let you know in 45 minutes. House smells like cinnamon. Smells like Fall and it's 91 out.

KarenMo...So, what's happening with the son/girlfriend saga?
Zoe...I retired early in 1998 (53 years old) because of heel spurs, bunions and Plantar Fasciitis, it was very scary wondering if I would have to pinch pennies. But something happened that evened things out, instead of eating out so much and buying expensive short-cut foods, pre-made packages, I started cooking from scratch. Our grocery bills went way down, we had good nutritious meals and I got to stay home. I didn't have to keep up my dress clothes, went to blue jeans and sweatshirts. I started hanging laundry out on the line to dry, no high dryer bills. We never missed my income. I'd say quit and enjoy life, you never know what tomorrow brings.
Quote:
If something were to happen to DH - I mean if he were to die before I do - I don't want to be penny-pinching for the rest of my life. On the other hand, I could continue to save every extra nickel, work towards full retirement, and then pop off myself before I could cash in on any of it.
Donna...yeah, me too! Sometimes I get bored, how about you?
Quote:
yes, my life IS serene. I've developed an attitude that I can't do anything about anything, and I've never yet lived in a hovel and God knows I'm never hungry!...
Here's some more white vinegar tips:
(I've never used chili vinegar before)
Chili Vinegar: Put 3 ounces chopped chilies into 1 quart vinegar, store for 2 weeks in a capped bottle. Strain liquid after 2 weeks. For a spicier, stronger vinegar, let chilies steep longer, to taste.
Garlic Vinegar: Peel cloves from 1 large bulb of garlic, add them to 1 quart vinegar. Steep liquid for 2 weeks, strain and discard garlic. Use a few drops for flavoring salads, cooked meat, or vegetables. Variation: Use 1 quart red wine vinegar for a resulting vinegar that can be used in place of fresh garlic in most recipes. One teaspoon of the garlic vinegar will be equivalent to a small clove of garlic.
Hot Pepper Vinegar: Pour 1 pint vinegar into a clean bottle with cap, add 1/2 ounce cayenne pepper to it. Let mixture sit for 2 weeks out of direct sunlight. Shake bottle about every other day. After 2 weeks, strain and pour into a separate clean bottle for use.
I don't have a clue what I'd use hot pepper vinegar for?
Have a great week-end everyone and see you on Monday. Hi anyone I missed, where's all the new gals?
Good Night Isabella, wherever you are! Sounds like Jimmy Durante.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 10-30-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #242  
Bobbi

How many of you are old enough to remember Jimmy Durante?

Mrs. Calabash where are you?
Jimmy Durante made this mysterious women's name his signature sign-off during the 1940s. But did she really exist?

"GOOD NIGHT, Mrs. Calabash--wherever you are!"
For years, Jimmy Durante ended his radio and television shows with that unusual sign-off. Most people thought the mysterious Mrs. Calabash must have been some fictional character that Durante dreamed up just to tease his audiences. But longtime residents of Calabash, North Carolina believe otherwise. The folks in this town will tell you she was a real person with a real name--and a fascinating story to boot. They claim that Mrs. Calabash was really a local woman named Lucille "Lucy" Coleman.
In 1940, Lucy was 28 years old and running a restaurant in Calabash, then a tiny seaside community bordering South Carolina. Durante and his touring entertainment troupe are said to have stopped in for supper one night. It may have been the genuine homespun friendliness of the young restaurant owner that prompted the gregarious Jimmy Durante to beckon Lucy over to his table for some short chitchat. "I'm going to make you famous," vowed Durante, thinking she recognized his well-known face. (In fact, at that moment, she didn't even know who he was!) Lucy's daughter, Clarice Holden, says she will never forget what happened next.

SECRET SIGN OFF

"As Mr. Durante and his group were walking out the door after their meal," Clarice recalls,"he turned to my mom and said, 'Good night Mrs. Calabash.' "
It wasn't long afterward that this popular entertainer began signing off his radio shows with a similar message. For years, audiences enjoyed this rather lighthearted farewell mystery. By the time of Durante's death in 1980, it had become one of his trademarks, almost as recognizable as his big "schnozzola".

Last edited by Bobbolink; 10-30-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #243  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Hola!
Quick check-in... have to get to the store and buy a VERY FEW Halloween goodies. As soon as it gets dark, my porch light goes off!

Oh, Bobbi, you asked Rosey about Sarah Palin... my blood actually ran cold, and it was the weirdest sensation!

Everyone, have a good weekend! Hope the weather is moderate everywhere! Be safe....
Old 10-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #244  

Hi everyone..we had snow last nite..my dh is on his way to anch..my grson is in a play..i would have loved to go but their house is all steps at least one of gets to be there, he'll be home tomorrow..ive been doing dishes and house work..i wish i had a house keeper..you asked about sarah palin..i usually dont like to vocalize politics,,but i like her and how she thinks..she did a great job and has conservative values..she has had some really bad press. however,one thing she did do that i dont like is she resighned as our gov becuz of the press hounding her..i felt she should have fullfilled her term..im not sure about the pres thing..shes going to be on the tlc channel november 14th its called sarah palins alaska..watch it and see what u think..hope your weekends going great rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 10-30-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #245  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all....quiet here. No sweet potatoes cooking. Still have most of the last pie left. The apple/sweet potato pie is good. Not write home and brag to ma about...No prize winner at the fair....think I'll do up a couple of mashed batches and freeze.

Bobbi...you use hot pepper vinegar of greens. Don't forget to add 1/2 tsp of vinegar to biscuit dough helps baking soda rise. And the one every mother whispered to newly married daughter....I use white vinegar around faucets to lift up the calcium that gets built up there....did a faucet in Md and whole knob dissolved. As kids we put it on bee stings and bites. Oh and cidar vinegar on french fries.

Rosie....Even the NY Times is giving Sarah Palin's show an A+ plus. The hi-lites look wonderful. That is some beautiful country you live in. Sorry ladies but I like her and think what was done to her and her family was beyond awful by the press. I do not talk about politics but sometimes statements make me run cold too. Concern for others and common sense get lost so easy anymore. I actually joined NOW way back when it first started in the 70's (didn't/ couldn't burn my bra) and can not believe they did not speak up about the way Sarah and family was hounded....

Weather cooled off to low 80's and turned a/c off again yesterday. Looks like Tomas is already a #1 hurricane, but the model shows spinning and heading back out into the N.Atlantic....I hope. We must check the weatherunderground.com daily for another month....

We have been retired for 10 years. Loving every minute of it. Love being able say No I'm too old and cranky to put up with alot bologna. Don't do anything that doesn't keep me happy. hugs, karen3
Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #246  

Height: 5'3"

Here I am again..been trying to catch up with things here at home since our trip. Even though we were only gone four days it seems there is a lot of catching up to do! Plus our dd and her little ones will be here Wed so I'd like a clean house although they are only staying with us for one night. Her fil passed away and they are here for the memorial service so will stay with her mil after the first night and of course we understand that she would want them with her at this time. I am glad they will be with us one night though.

Stocked up on some things we like to buy at Costco today and shared lunch there. Also picked up our Halloween candy at Walmart. Told my dh to hide it from me, but did get kinds we like. He will hide whatever is left and just give me a piece now and then when I have the calories/carbs to handle it. I hope someday he won't have to hide it and I can have it in the cupboards without over indulging!

Together my dh and I changed an outside lightbulb...he'd like to do it himself, but I refuse to let him up on a ladder yet. Even myself...I insist on him holding the ladder while I climb and it's just a little step stool really, but kinda shaky on the concrete walkway.

Karen3 - I love retirement too...in fact I say I never knew what I wanted to be when I grew up and found out after I retired it was being retired!

Bobbi - Wish I could say the posting helps me esp as it is double posting for me since I use calorieking too, but really I do well for a while then goof off for a while. Eating out a lot on our little trip didn't help either! But I'm back home and trying once again to do better.

My back is still bothering me...sometimes not so bad then all of a sudden for no reason I can understand, it will begin again. The muscle relaxants made my mouth so dry I hate to take them so I didn't last night and couldn't tell any difference in the pain. I just took Ibuprophen. Hoping it will go away soon.

Looking forward to going to church tomorrow since I've missed two (or 3?) Sundays, so hoping my back is not killing me in the morning so I can sit there without too much pain.

We are having blackened fish tonight...guess better go fix it. Hope you all have a good evening.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:07 AM   #247  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning everyone,

It looks like it's going to be a clear day, at least. I was hoping for a little warmer for the kids out trick-or-treating, but it's going to be chilly. I hate for them to have to wear coats over their costumes. But they still have fun.

Bobbi, sorry, I thought you were putting the caramel over whole apples. I knew it wouldn't stick to the slices. But it's still good for dipping the apple slices in. I hate soft apples. I want that crisp, juicy bite. that is why i'm really loving the newer honeycrisp. but they are a little pricey. Gala and fuji aren't bad either. And I use the hot vinegar for greens and for fish.

Mary, have fun with the grands while they are there.

Rosey, Alaska does look beautiful. My friend from Wasali sends me pictures of moose looking in her windows. Not so great when they are bothering the dogs though.

Have a blessed Sunday,

Freda
Old 10-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #248  
Bobbi

Happy Halloween everyone, we don't get trick or treaters because we live out in the country so no candy to tempt me.
Freda...I got the idea of caramel dipped apple slices from a picture I saw on allrecipe.com. I don't know how they did it, maybe dried the slices off really well, dip and immediately put in freezer to set? I used honey crisp apples until I ran out, then switched to the Cortlands. I hate Cortlands, yesterday I made a wonderful, moist apple cake using up 5 cups of them, very good used in cooking.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 10-31-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:57 AM   #249  
Donna

Good Morning, All....
Mary (or KarenFLO), is it your husband who was eating the SF pudding before going to bed, to help with his blood sugars? Is it still working? I passed the tip on to my diabetic friend, but I don't think she followed up on it... and her BS are still all over the chart.

I can't believe tomorrow is November! I have to find a new picture for the avatar!

Looks like it'll be a good day for the little ones. Fortunately, our parents send them out between 5 and 6, before it gets dark. Anyone coming after that is probably of driving age!

Everyone, have a good Sunday and be safe!
Old 10-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #250  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Bleeeecccchhhhh. What a weekend! I got progressively more ill throughout the day yesterday until it became crystal clear that I wasn't going to any party last night. I STRONGLY encouraged DH to go, anyway, and he finally did fter much hemming and hawing. I'm afraid that my propensity for needing "space" becomes that much greater when I'm not feeling well. Absolutely abhor having anyone hover over me, trying to be helpful. All I want to do is be by myself to moan, groan, upchuck in peace if I must, and so on and so forth. So I spent last night watching about half of season one of "Dexter" on Netflix. As most of you know, I rarely watch TV, wouldn't know one show from another, but I've heard various people make comments about this "Dexter" show, and lo and behold, it caught my interest enough to keep clicking to the next episode between coughs, sneezes and various unmentionables.
DH brought home some teas for me to steep and drink from our friend, who is quite a talented herbalist. Tried one this morning, and am feeling a little less otherworldly and out of it.
Not anticipating any trick or treaters tonight...this neighborhood doesn't have a lot of young families with kids. (Thank goodness).
Well, the comments re: Sarah Palin just go to show, I guess, that people with very different political views can still come together with shared goals about weight loss and healthy living. (PT, we certainly ARE PTs!). Political - and religious - views are just a few facets, after all, of who we are, and those subjects are almost always inflammatory in any group.
And, now folks, back to lounging about sipping my herbals and trying to get myself into decent enough shape to go to work tomorrow, as I have deadlines to meet, and to steal a line from Robert Frost, "miles to go before I sleep....".
Have a lovely day, Golden Girls! (Oh, and Lynn, I sure would've LOVED to be with you in DC this weekend! This country could sure use a little reason and sanity, PLUS the fact that Jon Stewart does indeed have a cute little rump!)

Z
Old 10-31-2010, 12:26 PM   #251  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Rally for Sanity

We had a GREAT time. See my photos -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 027.jpg (32.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (24.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (30.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (56.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 015.jpg (33.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-31-2010, 03:36 PM   #252  
Donna

Lynn, I'm pretty sure I saw you on tv.... did you see me frantically waving at you? Lots of folks....... was it fun?

PT/Zoe, did I send you my cold? I wish for you as quick a recovery as I had! Feel better.......

Last edited by jess1; 10-31-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #253  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

It was GREAT! Such nice people. Metro was PACKED - over 330,000 people travelled on it to DC in the morning. Yet, everyone was friendly and helpful to each other. At the rally, place was PACKED! A young couple in front of me invited me to sit on their blanket & even helped me get up and down!

It was a LOT of fun & GREAT music & comedy & SANITY!

Lynn
Old 10-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #254  
Bobbi

New thread started for November.......see ya over there!
Closed Thread