Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #226  

Morning everyone..welcome ruth ,i remember you from the diabetic forum.jess you were not imagining it i did post pictures last nite and deleted them..the kitty did not work out..it refused to use the litter box and we had an awful mess to clean up..yuk so we gave it back..i felt really bad but have enuff on my plate now..have agreat day everyone ..rosey
Old 10-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #227  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hello from Karen's test kitchnen. Everything is orange! Made up a recipe with sweet potato on the bottom of a pie crust and sliced apples on top with LF granola as topping. It is baking right now. Let you know in 45 minutes. House smells like cinnamon. Smells like Fall and it's 91 out.

Wow Rosey...you are like yup had a quake no biggy...I'd freak

So tired of ads and nasty phone calls. Mail box was full of trash talk, too. Most people now can use the internet and research everyone with out a spin. I voted a week ago and so they have wasted their money calling and mailing junk to me.

Fanny is draggin today. For some stupid reason I started watching the HBO special on Hussan around 11 last night. I lasted until start of 1st war. Needless to say had a night of scary dreams after that.

Off to check pie...if tasty will do cal count later...no sugar skim milk 1 potato divided by shouldn't be too bad. karen3
Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Survivor - anyone else surprised that Marty was not voted out?

Lynn

PS - reading a GREAT book - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Zoe, you will LOVE this one. Interesting and WELL-written about WWII.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #229  

Karen3 u made me giggel as i remember my 1st alaskan quake it was in 1977 and i was very new to alaska..i was sitting on the potty when it struck and water in the toilet sloshed and hit me in the rump ..i was up and out of there in a flash..we have them several times a year and we just deal with it..so far nothing was ever damaged and no one hurt rosey
Old 10-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #230  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Lynn...Yeah, I wanted him out ASAP. I got a charge out of the old hillybilly lady that caught some fish and ate one in the woods.
Quote:
Survivor - anyone else surprised that Marty was not voted out?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #231  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! We just got back from a few days with our son and his gf. we had a nice time with them. I am still having back spasms so not very comfortable sitting here plus tired from the trip. lots to catch up on here at home.

Lynn and bobbi - yes I was surprised that Marty was not eliminated. Jill seemed nice to me, but might have been difficult to beat in the end, plus maybe they thought it would throw Marty off guard...make him think he's safe ..then whammo..next time! LOL
Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #232  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
I posted a good vegetable soup base in our recipe section from Dr. Weil. He roasted the vegetables first to bring out the flavor before adding the water, then cooked on stove-top. You can add meat, beans, rice, etc. to make it a complete meal or just use the vegetable soup 'as is' for a low calorie lunch.
What's everyone doing for Thanksgiving this year? We're getting together with two of my brothers/spouse and one sister/spouse, and any kids/grandkids that don't have to take their turns with the in-laws. I've been thinking of goodies to bring, I saw a recipe for carmel apples with a twist. Instead of the whole apple, they cut it into slices, put wooden dowel in them, dip in carmel, rolled in candy sprinkles, chocolate mini chips, etc.
I'm going to make some and roll in crushed peanuts, Yum-O. Now I have to figure out a way to display them, any ideas? Maybe a tall glass? Or I could wrap in clear saran wrap and tie with a ribbon but don't know if it'd stick to the wrap. Maybe not if I have enough peanuts on them. The recipe for the carmel was just a whole package of carmels and 2 Tablespoons of milk melted in the microwave.
(refrigerate the apples overnight so the carmel sets up faster)
Time to get rolling, you all have a fun friday.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #233  
Bobbi

More White Vinegar tips
Quote:
Fruits and Vegetables
When cooking fruit on the stovetop, add a spoonful of vinegar to improve flavor.

When making mashed potatoes, add 1 tablespoon vinegar once you've used enough milk. This will help keep potatoes white. Whip them to desired consistency.
In a tomato sauce or a tomato-base soup, add 1 or 2 tablespoons vinegar just before completing the cooking process. Flavors will be enhanced.
Meat
Add zip to a pound of hamburger by adding garlic wine vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon mustard. Work these ingredients into meat before making into patties.
Improve the flavor of boiled ham by adding 1 tablespoon vinegar to cooking water.
The acid content and tangy flavor of vinegar makes it an excellent ingredient in a marinade for meat, poultry, fish, or vegetables. Vinegar can also tenderize tough cuts of meat.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #234  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All......
I wonder how vinegar would go with chia seeds?????????????

Nothing to report. Supposed to be in the mid 70s today. Of course, we're all sick! 40 one day, 70 the next.......

Rosey, I'm sorry it didn't work out with the cat. It's really, really hard to bring in an adult cat. It's so much easier to start with a kitten (or very young teen cat). Don't let this experience deter you, though, if you later decide you want to try living with a cat. After the initial trauma and angst, they're just the best pets! Speaking of which, how's TurtleTut, PT/Zoe?

I hope you're all well..... be safe, everyone! Geez, I wish we'd hear from Isabella. I really miss her!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #235  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Drat! What a week this has been/still is! Okay. STILL chi-chi-chia-ing, and methinks it is becoming a habit, now. WAY fewer cravings (almost none, in fact), no desire to help myself to the vast array of bagels, doughnuts, pastries and such in the employee lunch room every day, and virtually nothing in my diet that shouldn't be there. The tummy (which was growing pouchy towards the end of summer) is flattening out again, and my clothes are fitting more smoothly. So, I'm happy with that, but am still not so happy with the fact that I simply cannot seem to push past what I'm assuming (you KNOW I haven't weighed myself, right?) must be back in the vicinity of 155 - to become truly slim and elegant in my waning years. I have a picture of myself in mind as a stringy old lady with long bony fingers and prominent cheekbones. But I continue to hover around 155 and seem not to be able to get past that not-so-magical number! Very frustrating, but life in general is very frustrating, so why should my weight be any easier to deal with? I am wavering back and forth between taking early retirement or waiting until I'm 66 so that I can collect my full social security. If something were to happen to DH - I mean if he were to die before I do - I don't want to be penny-pinching for the rest of my life. On the other hand, I could continue to save every extra nickel, work towards full retirement, and then pop off myself before I could cash in on any of it. Decisions, decisions. But my job just gets more and more ludicrous; I'm being asked to design programs to meet federal guidelines - knowing full well that all the deadlines I have to meet are just busywork, essentially, because the funds simply aren't there to be had. Sheer stupidity. Okay, so they pay me decently - but I'd rather (I think) have less money, live more simply, and chuck it all. (I think).
Oh, blather.
Oh, Rosey! What a big kitty-cat! (And way too big not to know how to use a litter box!) Yikes!
Our little Mister kitty, formerly known as "Turtle" but more recently crowned "Tut" because of his kingly attitude, is growing bigger by the day, but still just as cuddly and purry (and he has never failed to use the litter box and clean up neatly behind himself). He's bigger and longer, but not very chubby - more sleek and streamlined. He sleeps most nights under the covers in bed with me - I don't know how he breathes in there, but he loves it, and hasn't smothered yet.
Well, it's mid-morning here, and I have another 5 hours yet to spend here at my desk. I've woken for the past two mornings with a sore throat - not merely scratchy, but full-throttle SORE - and a few scattered sneezes throughout the day, along with a LOT of achiness all over my aging bod. NOW, my head is acting weird...little shooting not-exactly-pains, but pressurey-feeling sensations. Throat's still ugly, too. Woe is me. We have a party to attend tomorrow night, and I REALLY.WANT.TO.GO. Seriously. Grrrrr.
A co-worker made reduced sugar pumpkin muffins and brought them in to work - very small, and I didn't have any of my super-fiber & fruity ones left, so I was very grateful. 200 calories at most, and maybe not even that. Made a nice little extra with my grapefruit sections and Chia gel.
Well, not much else to report - oh - DGD got her cast on yesterday, and my DD says the arm looks pretty good, and the cast seems to have gone on without too much pain and strain, so we shall hope for the best.
Happy weekend, all!!! (PT I could only wish for some of your tranquility in my life).

Z
Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #236  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Everyone,

I am off to Washington, DC with my DF and her DD. We are on the side of Sanity!

I'll let you know how it goes - will have my PC with me. We are staying at a Suites Hotel in VA - taking the Metro in to DC. Will be home on Sunday.

Have a good weekend & a Happy Halloween.

Lynn
Old 10-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #237  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Lynn, how fun!! Wave at the camera and pat Jon on his cute little rump for me!

PT/Zoe, yes, my life IS serene. I've developed an attitude that I can't do anything about anything, and I've never yet lived in a hovel and God knows I'm never hungry!... life is just fine! And my cold is 97.3572% gone! Yea!

I finally had the energy (and interest) to take a shower. The cat is speaking to me again, and I feel ever so much better!

Onward........
Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #238  

S/C/G: 148/146/124(edited goal)

Height: 4' 11"

Very busy week at work. Stayed late last night putting together a PowerPt presentation and preparing for meetings. I missed a dental appointment due to work and I need a haircut! Had a bad week for calorie intake but did get my chia "slurry" in twice a day. Hey, anyone try flavoring the brew? I put lemon juice in mine and it really helped. I just pretend it's lemonade. Next time I'll try some vanilla or almond flavoring.

Lily

Last edited by WoodLily; 10-29-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #239  

Height: 5'3"

Busy day...catching up with things but very slowly as we went shopping this afternoon. I bought a bathroom rug and some birthday cards for gk, and dh got a couple shirts for himself. Had some cards for extra discounts only reason we went.

Eating better today than I did on the trip but haven't had taken time to post my food yet. I have to get back on track as my weight is going up, up, up!

Zoe - I got to a point when I was working that I thought even if all I can afford to do in retirement is sip a cup of tea on my patio, I want to retire! I too was making good money and we took quite a drop to mostly dh's retirement. Since then of course I have my SS but I took it at age 62 so isn't the full amount. My mom died at age 64 without drawing hers and I didn't want that to happen to me. I have never regretted it so far and if my dh goes before me I get some of his retirement but it still won't be much. Even so I could not imagine working longer! I will manage somehow.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #240  

Good Morning Girls,

Busy, busy. We had a "PINK" part ar Curves Friday night. Lots of fun and some really nice prizes. I won a big basket of party light candles. Funny, I must be the only person around that doesn't burn candles! We were all laughing about that. Raised a lot fo money for great prize. There was a really good pumpkin dip (low calorie, of course) that we had with sliced apples and low calorie gramham crackers, but i've since thought of lots of other things that we could have put out with them. I'm taking the dip to work the next weekend I work.

Lynn, Have a good time.

Z, I HAVE to work untill i'm 65, for insurance. Not covered under DHs and it's an absolute necessity, so I have to work untill medicare kicks in. I'll be 63 in Dec., so that means 2 more years for me. I love my job but it's hard work. And my family lives a long time. All well into late 80 and 90's. My great grandma would have been 100 on her next birthday. So, i'm hoping I'll still have a long time to enjoy retirement. Like you, I want to be able to enjoy retirement. I want to travel and have fun, not pinch pennies.

Bobbi, Just family for Thanksgiving too. And hopefully, my husbands nephue. We haven't seen him since he was around 10 and I got in touch with him on facebook. And he's going to be in this area around that time and asked if he could stop in to say hi. We will be so happy to see him. The caramel apples are a good bet and not really high calorie either. You can sprinkle them with nuts, mini chocolate chips or jimmies. And after they are spinkled you will have no problems wrapping them in seran wrap. Tie with some pretty yellow, orange, brown ribbon.....too cute.

Lilly, I still haven't gotten my seeds. I hope to get out today. And I plan to put them into lots of flavors. Hopefully it will work. Actually, how do they taste plain?

Mary, sorry to hear that you are still having back spasms. Very painful. I hate being sick. It really makes me mad!

Donna, i'm glad you're feeling better.

Karen3, I love the smell of cinnamon. And it's so good for you. It's supposed to help stabalize blood sugar. I always have cinnamon with my oatmeal.

Rosie, Never had to deal with an earthquake. But we do get tornadoes through here from time to time. One really scarey one that took the roofs of several huge building just a 100 yards from us.

Take care all,

freda

Last edited by the slim me; 10-30-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Closed Thread