Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #61  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

My son and I are at home with matching chest colds and fevers today. Lots of brothy soup with lemon and garlic prescribed. Not too sick to do homework, however.

Wrist is feeling better after a few days in the brace. But I've been counseled to keep it on for atleast a week or two before attempting the rowing machine again. Chest cold is helping me cooperate with that.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #62  

Morning everyone..its snowing and blowing out this am..im so sick of winter but had a nice weekend with dd and grdd here for regional bb tournamnets.. my grs team is going to the state playoffs ..thanks to modern tech i was able to watch the games on my commputer.. i sure enjoyed that..nothing else exciting in my world hope u all havea great day rosey
Old 03-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #63  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

1st time I sat down today, been in the kitchen catching up on stuff. I made a large bowl of vegetable soup to have ready tomorrow night for supper. My 'Bone Builders' class starts tomorrow 5:30pm and I wanted a quick meal. I've made lots of vegetable soup for my diet meals but never one to share with DH. He's a big meat eater and meals aren't complete without it. I told him this was going to be meatless but the recipe called for a can of Northern beans which is protein. He just looked at me funny It turned out very yummy, I think he'll like it.
I counted my calories all day until supper tonight, I was too pooped from being on my sore feet all day. I made very fattening sausage gravy over biscuits. I buy a large package of dry sausage seasoning from our butcher and use it to flavor ground elk. It tastes just like breakfast sausage so I did save some calories using elk instead of pork. The baking powder biscuits turned out really good, a new recipe. (1/2 white, 1/2 w.w. flour) I'll catch up on all the gab tomorrow, right now I gotta go down and work out for at least 15 minutes. I am really too tired but I can't preach to ya all and not follow up advice from my big mouth.
Here's a recipe to put you to sleep and stay asleep:
Quote:
Dreamy Nighttime Drink

Ingredients
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon honey
2 drops vanilla extract
1 pinch ground cinnamon
Directions
Pour milk into a microwave safe mug and place into microwave. Cook on High until the milk is very hot and begins to foam, about 3 minutes. Stir in honey and vanilla, then sprinkle with cinnamon before serving.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:26 AM   #64  

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone... sorry I've been out of touch lately. I'm just so busy! Too many things to do and not enough time! Also I haven't been losing weight - that's always a downer.

Seems like nothing short of starvation will erase this fat from my body.

Linda

Last edited by ToBThinAgain; 03-09-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #65  
Renaissance Woman

Still feeling sickly this morning. Went to bed really early last night but coughed all night long. Now my ribs hurt. Am looking forward to getting well and back on my rower!

Made a really lovely veggie soup for dinner last night. Used vegetable stock, potatoes, leeks, carrots and Swiss chard. When they were all soft, I blended them with my stick blender, then seasoned with parsley, thyme, oregano and nutmeg, plus put a little Parmesan on top. Yum!

Bobbi, bean soups are a big deal at our house. My sons love them, even without meat. Tuscan white bean soup is good with or without the sausage, and I like to add some baby spinach in at the end. I use lentils in soup as well as salads, and have even rolled them in grapeleaves instead of meat (so yummy!) for dolmas. My boys, if left to their own devices, would be having hummus with pita daily. When I lived in Kuwait, one of my Egyptian friends turned me on to foul mudammas, a fava bean stew they eat for breakfast. Both delicious and economical. A great way to have "meat" with beans is to add some Boca Crumbles to a bean soup. My boys never know the difference.

In the US, we are such meat eaters! When I lived in Indonesia, meat was more of a condiment or a special occasion thing when served in greater quantities. But rice was the big deal there. If rice didn't come with a meal, then the meal was only considered a snack. (But don't read a lack-of-meat as a healthy thing in Indonesia. They get diabetes even more than we do, and their average life-expectancy is still only in their 60s.)

Stick with the dandelion-eating Greeks. They live to be 100!

Last edited by geoblewis; 03-09-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Ticker -

Ability to create ticker is back. Made my ticker, copied url into my signature - and VOILA - back in business!

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 03-09-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Good Morning, Everyone,

1) Tickers are back!!!!!!!!!!!
2) Knee is stiff today. If it doesn’t get better after Florida, I will go to PT for a while.
3) The lemon water helped get rid of the fluid – I can get my rings on/off again & lost the 2 lbs I had gained. Thank you for that advice.
4) No special plans today.

Will check back later,

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Lynn, The Dr. usually puts you on Potassium (K) because lasix flushes the K out. If you aren't taking Lasix any more you might want to ask him if the K is still necessary. Usually taking extra K isn't necessary, and sometimes dangerous.
Hi Freda,

Thank you, I will call today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
Lynn, I'd love to have access to a hot therapy pool. That sounds so nice I'm thinking about jumping in the tub to have a hot bubble bath. I was thinking the ticker factory ticker is somewhat a nuisance to update. I hope 3FC get theirs up and running again.
Hi Isabella,

Pool felt good – got my knee up near one of the jets & just let that warm water do its job.

Ticker maker is back on 3FC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post
Sounds like all are doing well, motivated. I've seen a little "movement" but am considering going to the dark side. Something has to give! I haven't made any decisions, but I'm thinking "alternative". No, I won't go crazy! This really IS ridiculous, though![/COLOR]
Hi Donna,

I’ve been thinking “alternative” also. If I’m still at 156 after Italy, I might do NutriSystem D to get down to 145. NOTE: their food is HORRIBLE – probably the reason people lose – no one eats much of that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
My son and I are at home with matching chest colds and fevers today. Lots of brothy soup with lemon and garlic prescribed. Not too sick to do homework, however.
Hi Georgia,

Feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
Morning everyone..its snowing and blowing out this am..im so sick of winter but had a nice weekend with dd and grdd here for regional bb tournamnets.. my grs team is going to the state playoffs ..thanks to modern tech i was able to watch the games on my commputer.. i sure enjoyed that..nothing else exciting in my world hope u all havea great day rosey
Hi Rosey,

What sport are your grandchildren in? I'm sure you probably told us, but my old brain forgot. BTW - I also forgot to send you the pre-surgery book. I will send that out today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
1st time I sat down today, been in the kitchen catching up on stuff. I made a large bowl of vegetable soup to have ready tomorrow night for supper. My 'Bone Builders' class starts tomorrow 5:30pm and I wanted a quick meal. I've made lots of vegetable soup for my diet meals but never one to share with DH. He's a big meat eater and meals aren't complete without it. I told him this was going to be meatless but the recipe called for a can of Northern beans which is protein. He just looked at me funny It turned out very yummy, I think he'll like it.
Hi Bobbi,

That soup sounds good. I’ve got a bunch of veggies in my refrig that are past their prime. Maybe I’ll make some soup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBThinAgain View Post
Hi everyone... sorry I've been out of touch lately. I'm just so busy! Too many things to do and not enough time! Also I haven't been losing weight - that's always a downer. Seems like nothing short of starvation will erase this fat from my body. Linda
Hi Linda,

It is so hard to check into this thread when you are not losing. Of course, that is just the time we need support. Starvation only compounds the problem – leads to fast loss & even faster re-gain. Only sure-fire way to lose is to increase your exercise and decrease your calories.

After recording my daily weight/exercise/calories for many years, I know that in order for me to lose, I need to eat fewer than 1200 calories and exercise at least 60 minutes/day. If I do that, I lose. Keep records, and increase exercise, and decrease calories until you figure out what you need to do to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post
Made a really lovely veggie soup for dinner last night. Used vegetable stock, potatoes, leeks, carrots and Swiss chard. When they were all soft, I blended them with my stick blender, then seasoned with parsley, thyme, oregano and nutmeg, plus put a little Parmesan on top. Yum!
When I lived in Kuwait, one of my Egyptian friends turned me on to foul mudammas, a fava bean stew they eat for breakfast. Both delicious and economical. A great way to have "meat" with beans is to add some Boca Crumbles to a bean soup. My boys never know the difference.
In the US, we are such meat eaters! When I lived in Indonesia, meat was more of a condiment or a special occasion thing when served in greater quantities. But rice was the big deal there. If rice didn't come with a meal, then the meal was only considered a snack. (But don't read a lack-of-meat as a healthy thing in Indonesia. They get diabetes even more than we do, and their average life-expectancy is still only in their 60s.)
Stick with the dandelion-eating Greeks. They live to be 100!
Hi Georgia,

WOW! You lived in Kuwait AND Indonesia!!!! I am so impressed. How did you come to live in these places and what was it like? How many languages do you speak?
Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #68  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Lynn, I'm glad the lemon juice helped. It's been a standby for me. And tell me how you get the quoted parts in those cool little boxes?

Quote:
"Hi Linda,
It is so hard to check into this thread when you are not losing. Of course, that is just the time we need support."
I wanted to highlight that comment of yours and can't seem to figure it out... Anyway, I couldn't agree more and have felt the same way. Since I've been having so, so, so much difficulty lately, I've been embarrassed and ashamed to even be in the presence of such motivation and success. On the one hand, one needs the support; on the other hand, one feels like a total loser (and not in the good way!)....

PT, I'm going to work on Wendie today, if I have time. Is everything going well with you?

Everyone, be warm and safe! Have a good day!

Last edited by jess1; 03-09-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #69  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

And I figured it out!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #70  

Good Morning,

Another sunny day here, and it's warm enough to go for a bike ride this afternoon, when the Grands get here. Haven't riden in a long time so I know i'm going to feel some muscle aches tonight. It will be worth it though, can't wait to get out there.

Georgia, Oh My, I am so envious. The places you've been! That must have been so interesting! Hope you're feeling better, and the kiddies too.

Donna, We've all been there. You just keep practicing untill you get it right. It always takes me many false starts before I really get it "right". So just hang in there and keep practicing and planning. It will happen. And in the mean time, this is just the place you need to be.

Rosie, I was never interested that much in sports, especially soccer, untill my grands started playing. Now I'm the typical soccer grandma. So great that you can watch the girls.

Bobbi, Love bean soup. A cheap, neutritious, tasty way to get the neutrition you need. I just started adding greens but they do add a lot of flavor.

Lynn, glad the edema is less. I know it makes you very uncomfortable.

Lynda, Stick with us girl. It is harder to lose when we get older, but it's not impossible. And you don't have to starve. Just plans meals with lots of fiber. I know bobbi is a great believer in lots of fiber and it does work. Just start out slow.

Everyone, make it a good day,

Freda
Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #71  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Good evening girls. I'm starting to have a little muscle soreness from yesterday's walk but I was expecting that after 9 days without a walk. Didn't go out today but went on a marathon shopping trip with my friend today. Left the house at 9 am and never got home until 4:30 pm. I walked, I tell ya, I walked. Bought a few books for DGS for birthday and Easter. This child is getting an Easter Book Bag from Grandma and Grandpa. Between the bd and Easter I bought 6 or 7 books. I did buy a little chocolate bunny but his parents will eat that. Also a cute little bunny puppet to put in with the books.

Today I bought a very nice futon for the spare room. The room was DS's bedroom but since he married I've turned it into a sewing/ironing/pantry room but thought a futon would take care of any extra overnight company. It has a coil spring mattress and seemed very comfortable when I tried it out.

I also bought cookies. The grocery store had carts full of half price going out of date cookies and I couldn't resist buying a few packages. I promise I won't indulge or at least over-indulge. I'll keep them to make company desserts, etc. I have a hoard of gooey, throw together quick recipes that use whipped topping, instant puddings, cookies and other so unhealthy ingredients that people love to eat. Those desserts are great for potlucks too. Everyone just scarfs them down. You know, I'm justifying my purchase.

I'm just droning on and on. Oh, yes I'm down another 1/2 pound this morning. Hoping to have that regain of 2 pounds gone by the weekend. Must stay away from those cookies.

Lynn, I found out the tickers are back. Yesterday I had 2. One from the ticker factory that'd I just put there and my original one reappeared on its own. I was so happy to see my little pink bubbles and the little flower.

Bobbi and Georgia, I make bean soup all the time. Sometimes I throw in a can of whatever beans I have on hand or throw in a couple of handfuls of lentils. And of course there's pea soup--green or yellow. We're big bean eaters. And I made biscuits this morning to go with the vegetarian "beef" stew I'd made for dinner. I've been making them half white, half whole wheat for a couple of years now and find them quite palatable. I put raisins in the ones I made this morning.

Linda, don't stay away. We're here for you, especially when things are not going as you'd like. We're your support system.

Rosey
, I'm sick of winter, too. I got stuck in the driveway this afternoon, spinning my wheels in the slush. I'd rather be stuck in mud.

Donna, I knew you'd figure it out.

Freda, how'd your bike ride go? Not too sore I hope.

Anyway, have a great evening.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #72  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Omigosh, long, busy day.....tired here. PT, oh sister mine, we have ALL so "been there, done that, got the T-Shirt" when it comes to frustration over trying to lose weight!!! I didn't even have any really solid motivation until a few weeks ago...I've been really yo-yoing since the holidays. Now, I'm just sick of myself, sick of not being where I want to be, sick of feeling blubbery and marshmallowy, and I KNOW that the only way I'm NOT going to feel that way is to do what it takes to get these pounds off. You KNOW how I struggle with exercise, and I know that sooner or later, I'm going to regret it if I don't shake a leg and get moving a little better than I have been. Just hang in there, PT...you WILL do it. Just takes awhile...look how long it's taken me to get even within shouting distance of my goals. Bobbi, Freda, Isabella...I mean, they INSPIRE me, you know? I LOVE hearing about what they're doing, how they're doing it, what they're eating, and so on and so forth, because they DID it, and they're holding steady. AND, they're willing to give the rest of us encouragement, and that's really awesome, isn't it? The important thing, I think, is that those of us with weight still to lose are HERE, trying, and connecting with others who are here, trying right along with us.
Okay, I'm too tired to blather on any more, but I'm thinking of you all...PT, Lynn, Linda, Karen, Rosey, Georgia...
G'nite!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #73  
Bobbi

Good Morning girls!
I got my Leslie walking over early this morning plus 5 minutes on the stepper. Feels good and I have so much more energy doing them in the morning rather than evening. Last night was our 1st "Bone Builders" class, they last 1 hour twice a week. (Tuesday & Thursday, 5:30pm.) Dumb time but many people work and that was the best time for all. I was a tad disappointed in them, you don't exert yourself at all. They use 1 lb. weights, say what? That's like nothing, I'm going to bring my own tomorrow. Everything is in slooooooooooww motion, no wonder 80 & 90 year old people do it! I think I was the only one dissapointed because people had turtle necks with sweat shirts over them to exercise in, I wore a short sleeved T-shirt because I thought I'd work up a sweat. HaHa, that won't happen.
Rosey...my grandson's team isn't having such a good season in basketball, it's his last year playing too. Tomorrow night is his last game in playoffs unless they beat the # 3 team.
Quote:
dd and grdd here for regional bb tournamnets.. my grs team is going to the state playoffs

Linda...I'm having a senior moment here, what kind of plan are you on? One thing I've learned is being strick about posting every morsel that goes in my mouth. If you stay OP, you WILL LOSE. Plateau's are a bummer but eventually the scale will move.
Quote:
Hi everyone... sorry I've been out of touch lately. I'm just so busy! Too many things to do and not enough time! Also I haven't been losing weight - that's always a downer.

Seems like nothing short of starvation will erase this fat from my body.
Georgia...I'm impressed with your travels and food experiences too! I've tried the Boca Crumbles and didn't care for them. The TVP is more to my liking but I seldom use it because of my big meat eater husband. Plus we're still working on a bull Elk in the freezer. It's not smart letting game meat get too old or it gets stronger in taste.
Quote:
I use lentils in soup as well as salads, and have even rolled them in grapeleaves instead of meat (so yummy!) for dolmas. My boys, if left to their own devices, would be having hummus with pita daily. When I lived in Kuwait, one of my Egyptian friends turned me on to foul mudammas, a fava bean stew they eat for breakfast. Both delicious and economical. A great way to have "meat" with beans is to add some Boca Crumbles to a bean soup. My boys never know the difference.
Lynn...you could always steam the veggies, blend up and freeze for future soups bases. The veggie soup I made that was meatless turned out better than we thought, Bruce liked it. Glad to see you're easing back into exercising, some states take forever to get thru. I've been in Nebraska forever.
Quote:
That soup sounds good. I’ve got a bunch of veggies in my refrig that are past their prime. Maybe I’ll make some soup.
Jess...I was using lemon juice in my water for awhile, sure tastes good but it messed up my stomach. Too much acid and I'd get a side ache?
Quote:
I'm glad the lemon juice helped. It's been a standby for me. And tell me how you get the quoted parts in those cool little boxes?
Freda...I'm not big on greens, not that I don't like them but didn't grow up eating them. I saw a black lady picking over some greens at the grocery store and I stopped and asked her what she did with them. What a sweetie she was! She gave me her recipe using ham hocks, (I'd never seen ham hocks in the store before, frozen food section) She picked out some greens for me, took me over to the ham hocks. She lived in a different town, otherwise she would have come over to my house and cooked them. No kidding, a complete strangers, she had her grandson with. I have to say we weren't terribly impressed with them, not much flavor. Guess you have to aquire a taste for it.
Quote:
Bobbi, Love bean soup. A cheap, neutritious, tasty way to get the neutrition you need. I just started adding greens but they do add a lot of flavor.
Isabella...is your recipe for biscuits low calories? When you put raisins in, do you also put a tad of sugar? Biscuits are my fav, I love them with real butter and honey, yum. But I don't eat them that way because I can't eat just one.
Quote:
I've been making them half white, half whole wheat for a couple of years now and find them quite palatable. I put raisins in the ones I made this morning.
Zoe...me too, I've always hated exercise until it's over. But with making myself do it every day, it gets easier.
Quote:
You KNOW how I struggle with exercise,
Hey Karen...how's the flu bug. Have you tried taking echinacea?
I haven't had a cold or flu for years and years, 1st sign of a sniffle I pop a couple of these and never get it.
I gotta get busy now, my husband purchase a tiny box of molasses dog treat last month and paid over $6.00. I made some for a fraction of the cost after that, Charlies loves them. He's out so I need to make more this morning. DH is busy sanding the stairs going downstairs, painting and will glue on a new carpet runner. I hope the carpet glue isn't too stinky or I'll get a migraine headache.
Hi anyone I missed, see ya around.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #74  
Bobbi

This is Damian our grandson, he's a senior in high school this year.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 12-27-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #75  
Renaissance Woman

Oh Ella! You sound just like me. When I get mournful and regretful of my marshmallow-like existance, and I actually get angry with myself and situations too, that seems to be a sign of hitting bottom in a constant cycle of picking myself up and getting back to the road optimum health. It does take work, blech! I am not a lover of exercise. I get mad that after I've worked out I feel so good, but before I can workout, I seem to have trouble finding that motivation. I see those "Just Do It!" ads and I want to scream "Just Leave Me Alone!" I have to really search for the motivator to get me back on track. And usually, for me, it's a good group of supporters that cheer me on and keep me in line.

When I lived in Kazakhstan, I had a group of girlfriends with whom I exercised everyday. We'd go to the gym together after the kids went to school. If I didn't show up at the gym on time, you can bet they were calling me and lovingly barking orders at me to get my behind over there or they were going to hurt me. They were awesome! I really miss them. We lived in a company compound on the west side of Ural River (it sounds nice, but not so much) so we would walk in the afternoons from our compound down to one of the bridges, then up the river to another bridge and then back across and home. We called it the Bi-Continental Loop, because the Ural is the continental divide between Europe and Asia. Not a walk of remarkable beauty, but still, rather cool to walk two continents everyday (except during the winter...more like freezing bitter cold than cool). And then there was that street we walked down with giant heads and statues of Lenin, Marx and Stalin, toppled over and overgrow with weeds and trees. Very cool site indeed!

So that's where I've lived, Indonesia, Kuwait and Kazakhstan. X works for a big bad oil company, so we'd live in an assignment location four to five years, in a company compound with other expatriates from the US, Canada, UK mostly. The boys went to company-sponsored international American schools. We traveled a lot to some lovely places. Christmas in Paris, New Years in Athens, lots of shopping in Singapore, lazing on beaches all over Southeast Asia, rode camels in Egypt at the Pyramids, seen ruins all around the Mediteranean and Europe, smuggled alcohol out of Dubai (a vastly overrated place) and into Kuwait, smuggled pork into Indonesia (the trick is to wrap it in your soiled underwear and put you shoes over it, soles up), smuggled cheese from Amsterdam to Kazakhstan (not really smuggled, just bought a lot of cheese at the airport that I stuffed into pockets and handbags, etc.)...got lots of stories.

I learned to speak Bahasa Indonesia mostly while shopping, so I can shop in Bahasa like a pro in Jakarta and Malaysia. Didn't bother to learn Arabic in Kuwait because everybody speaks English. And was starting to pick up some Russian in Kazakhstan before I was sent away. It's very similar to Greek, my first language, so I can read it and I recognize sentence structure and parts of the vocabulary are in some ways like Latin-based languages. I didn't pick up any Kazakh, except to say thanks, which is important to know where ever you go.

World travel always sounds more fun when you're on holiday, but to pick up and move to a different country is another thing. I really loved it all, but it wasn't a picnic. And there are aspects of it that cost me my marriage, but poor character and poorer life-choices are pretty much a universal theme for middle-aged men.

After all my travels, I am so much happier and prouder to be an American than I was before the experience. People are people the world over. We all have the same needs, desires and dreams. We just go about achieving them all a little differently. It's much nicer to do that in a free society. You don't know how important that is until someone takes it away or limits it.

And that's our social studies lesson for today, girls.
Closed Thread