Old 07-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #421  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Hi, friends. I had a fennel bulb that came in last Friday's CSA. With the CSA coming again tomorrow, I felt like I needed to "move" this bulb so I found a recipe for Spicy Chick Peas & Fennel over brown rice, which I'm making for lunch today. Looking forward to it! Carma it's from the Forks Over Knives cookbook; I have found LOTS of great recipes in that cookbook -- well worth the price! The website has good recipes, too.

Not much going on; it's CHILLY today, in the 50s when I got up! I'm planning to walk while DS is at tae kwon do this evening. And I've planned a little kayak excursion with the boys (maybe DH??) tomorrow night. Will do weights some time this afternoon.

Weight was 153.7 this AM. Certainly not challenge-worthy, but I'm happy. I'm definitely up for another challenge!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #422  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

Holding steady at 144.5....grrrrrrr......I am not hungry today so I'm sort of fasting....I have two dates tonight..I figured I might as well get it all over with in one night....another one tomorrow.
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #423  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Hanging in as well. Went to a ball game last night. We had burgers and peanuts, passed up on hot dogs, pierogi eps, salt potatoes, popcorn, etc., etc.

Hanging right around 165, so meeting goal is questionable, but ok, happy to be sticking with the exercise program and planning how to stay on it while we're away next weekend.

Feelings bit tired, not sure if I'll get another walkin, right now it's looking like a no, listening to my body on this one.

Best to all

Brave girl Zumba, best of luck!
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #424  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

I'm wondering if a shorter challenge, like Labor Day might be more doable for me. What do you guys think?

I'm willing to start a thread called something like August chat/labor day challenge or Labor Day challenge/August chat, of course not 'til August (what's that next week...yikes).

Let me know what you think.

Best to all
Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #425  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Sounds good Keli!

How did your date(s) go Zumba?

Heidi It felt like a fall here as well. It was heaven after that heatwave. I was so happy when walking.

---------------

Last weekend of travel baseball. No formal food plan, nor exercise. These days are usually quite long and loads of sitting. I have been guilty of mindless snacking whilst watching the games. So today I packed loads of fruits and veggies to munch on.

Scale jumped a pound (up), TOM should get here today. Only a pound gain is fantastic; I am expecting a nice whoosh after TOM leaves

Everyone have a fab day!!!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #426  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

Ok, getting ready to head out for a hike, nice sunny day, starting to cool off a bit.

Nice dinner, chicken sausage, roasted veg and potatoes.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #427  

Holding steady at 144.5....I ask to meet people for drinks but men love to feed me! This social experiment of mine was quite interesting....but I'm done with that for a while...

My appetite has dropped a bit..I could go hours without thinking about food...but still, no change in the scale. Atleast I'm not gaining!

I guess this is going to be another challenge I accomplish nothing in....more later I have to wake up my sons for breakfast!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #428  
Fat to Fab and Fit

I am posting this here and at the July Chat thread.

I am challenging myself and my family to eat and eat well for only $75 per week. I have seen so many sad posts about poverty and not having enough money for food, that kids and I decided to eat for less. This means eating things that are not that palatable, no more grass fed ground beef or organic air chilled chicken, and forget about our weekly milet mignon. -- Anyone interested in joining me?

I will post each day what we ate and the cost.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #429  

Sorry Sum, there is NO WAY we could eat well on 75 dollars a week...not in new York atleast...LOL....seriously though, I'm curious to hear how you are going to do this and what you will wind up eating.

I went to a reunion party for some women that I knew years ago of when oiur children were babies....the food choices were not good...I had carbs...there wasn't really enough protein to eat...and as we sat there and chatted the more I wanted to nosh......good thing I left before the desserts came out.

Have we decided about another challenge? I can start if if you'd like? Or do we just want to chat on the monthly chat threads?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #430  

S/C/G: 253.2/215.2/140

Height: 5'6"

okay personals first then update on me.

Sum: I like the sound of the 75 dollars a week grocery. However think it would involve a lot of meal planning. Can't wait to follow your posts thought. Will be interesting to see if the less appetizing food makes you lose weight. On the gluten free aspect of you my sister made a gluten free sunflower bread that held together pretty well. I am hoping to get the recipe off of her so I can share it with another friend of mine, let me know if you want it.

Heidi: Yum on the fennel. What is this CSA you speak of?
Zumba: good job on maintaining. Keep it up.
Aspen: hope your bloat is gone all the way.
Keli: I am okay with the Labor day goal. I already am shooting for 205 for that day.

Okay, well as far as I go I think I am getting back on track. 212.6 this morning and did my first real exercise in 6 days. Walked for 35 minutes. Will try and get an afternoon walk in as well, I am determined to be below 210 by August 4th. Would be nice to do it by the end of July but don't see it happening in 2 days.
Down to the last stages of cleaning my Mom's house. I have just a few pieces of furniture which are going to friends plus her gorgeous bedroom set which not takers. Going to relist on craigs list. Only response I got was a scam artist. I was so excited then I got the send the pick up agent 750 dollars from western union. Ugh.

Hope you all have a good day.
Carma

Last edited by soon2beskinnyCarma; 07-29-2013 at 09:32 AM.
soon2beskinnyCarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #431  
Fat to Fab and Fit

Day 1 of $75 challenge
Bfast
Homemade waffles, bacon, eggs and grapes
Lunch
Turkey and cheese sandwich (GF) with homegrown lettuce and tomato, home made potato wedges and apple
Dinner
Tuna casserole and green beans
Snacks
Icecream, pretzels, grapes and watermelon

Total cost $9.36 for 3 of us. I am not counting condiments into this mix...they would probably add 20c. I am dividing all pasta, flour etc costs as well-- I shopped all sales items at a local supermarket; not a low end one either. -- Many communities offer garden plots for people who are not well off, therefore I am using my own garden items as free items. So far so good...making crockpot chicken for tomorrow, found some super cheap bone-in chicken.

To be continued.......

ETA; I made my own GF bread

Last edited by Sum38; 07-29-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #432  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Carma the CSA is "Community Supported Agriculture". Basically, you sign up with a farm for a weekly box of assorted vegetables, whatever is in season that week. My farm is organic, and this week I got green beans, an eggplant, a fennel bulb, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, green onions, blueberries, basil, parsley. I'm sure there's other stuff that I'm forgetting already. I split it with a friend because the volume of vegetables can be a little overwhelming to have to deal with every week LOL

Sum Good luck with your experiment. What are you planning to do with the savings? How do the kids feel about this? Unless I was under financial strain, there's no way I could join in. Without a garden, I spend at least $50 - $60 each week on fruits & vegetables alone. There have been periods in our life when we have had a lot less disposable income, so I definitely have experienced the coupon clipping, debating over types of chicken, etc in the past.

Here, I'm doing well. Exercising a ton, doing 40 min of free weights 3x per week, walking briskly 3-5 miles most days, doing cardio on the elliptical or stairmaster a couple times a week. Kayaking 1 - 2x per week. I'm doing the weights and cardio in my basement, and I'm seriously considering giving up my gym membership. Now that I am motivated at home, I haven't gone since June, and at $231 / month for the family, it's pricey!

My weight is stable at 153-154 and I feel like I'm eating a ton. So, all is good. I'm thinking about moving my ticker to show 153 as goal. It was my 2nd goal (158 was my first, 142 is my third) and I truly feel like anything further is bonus. In fact, I think I'll go do that now.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #433  

Weight is up again....was out of town yesterday and had pizza and some other things I should not have eaten....countdown to convention is ON!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #434  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

Heidi, I'm so happy for you and congratulations! Also, I wish they did that sort of veg delivery here...

Howdy Sum! The budget idea sounds- especially since healthy eating is usually cheaper than junk anyway. I can't really compete, since I live in Switzerland, but I find the idea inspiring all the same.

Carma! That's really stinky. Have you tried ebay, or is that even worse? Good luck in any case.

I can't wait till I feel happy again in my own skin. It's been such a long time. Today is weigh day, but I'm trying not to get too hung up on the numbers. I don't just want thin, I want a life. Ever wake up and just think, "how the heck did I get here, how did I *let* myself get here?" Been doing a lot of thinking while I'm walking. Mostly, why does DH prefer to watch TV than engage in life? He watched me gain over 100 pounds and never said one single word (my responsibility, not his, I know) but we're married, and I care, so I'm trying to get him to see the value of an active life. Any ideas? He's not that much overweight, just totally not fit...

Last edited by Magicsusan; 07-30-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #435  
Fat to Fab and Fit

Day 2

Bfast Cereal with milk or roasted eggplant with tomatoes, grapes/bananas/strawberries
Lunch Tuna casserole left overs
Dinner Crockpot chicken in BBQ sauce, rice, onion/pepper/carrot strirfried veggie medley
Sancks bananas, yogurt, pretzels and ice cream

Total cost $6.78

This is very clean way of eating. DS may add peanutbutter sandwich if he gets hungry. I have used $38/75 budget and I have food planned for the first 4 days and enough veggies to last entire week. I may need to get some more fruit. Looks like I am spending aprx. $30 on protein, $10 on carbs/side items and milk products and rest goes to fruit and veggies, mostly fresh ones. I have given up a lot of conv. like boil-in-a-bag rice, I bought a huge bag (60 servings) for $3. We shall see what kids say about the bulk cereal I bought, but it was very cheap. No premade meals, I never use them anyways; well occasionally son eats bagelbites etc as a snack.

So far so good. Noone is complaining Maybe I will put us on a strict food budget and use the savings for a lavish vacation -- Seriously, I have wasted a lot of money on food, this experiment is making me think harder about the choices I will make in the future. I will not give up our organic meats etc but I can definitely cut corners what comes to conv. foods.

Last edited by Sum38; 07-30-2013 at 08:07 AM.