Old 04-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Ooooo a newbie! Hi Bibbity. I think we met in the Canadian thread.

Do you want to share what you're doing and maybe we can tweak it?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:01 PM   #77  
mudbug

S/C/G: 232/215/160

Height: 5'9

Hello Bibbity
I'm also 45, and it does seem harder this time around to get this weight off. Being a yo-yo dieter throughout the years I've always been able to lose weight pretty easily it's just the maintaining that gets me. I revert back to eating things I shouldn't because I think I deserve it . 1yr. ago I had a hysto. and now have to take Estrogen and piled on 40lbs through bad eating and inactivity. I've now taking controll and said enough! I need to be healthier for the next half of my life. but.... It does seem harder for me this time, and that just means I have to try harder. I don't want this to be my lot in life..to be fat, unhealthy,and feel older before my time. Each of our body's chemistry is different and what works for one might not work for the other. But comparing notes and tips on those things and finding support on this site is a good start.

One thing that has helped me is varying my calories through the week. Keeping them from 1300-1800. On days when I'm on the higher end I make sure I've had a good workout. Slowly but steadily the scale has been creeping down. Not as fast as before, but still I'll take anything. And what works now might not work next month . Our hormones are contantly changing ,so will our plan of action . Just hang in there and make good food choices and get active and hopfully your body will start to respond

Rhonda
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #78  
It Just Goes To Show You!

S/C/G: 222/195.5/136

Height: 5'2"

Hey All,

Happy Friday the 13th!

Hey there Bibbyityboo Welcome...the more the merrier!

Rhonda how the heck are you? We have talked before...Glad to see you again!

Jo...you are a real marvel to me...all you do in your personal life and you are this weight, cardio, exercise machine...Way to go for you! You increased your weights so maybe could it be that the toned arms are more heavier than the limp arms (sounds kind of goofy) because the muscle weighs more...when I bought my last pedometer this lady was talking about never weighing herself again but that she only measures herself...for her inches lost...You are doing really well! Be Proud! I wish I had your fortitude and stamina!

Susan B I just noticed that your kilometres moved (I hope they did or I am really losing it)...way to go!
Kimush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:16 AM   #79  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Morning Everyone!

Welcome to Bibbityboo!

Jo, Susan & Rhonda, reading your posts has made me feel so lazy ... it really is about time that I started to do some activity. I'm always finding excuses for not doing it ... I'm too tired ... I don't have time ... I hate it! ... etc. etc. But I realise that it's about time that I got moving! Susan, I think I'm going to take your advice to begin with and start walking again ... I used to do it 2 or 3 years ago with a friend and it really did help, but then she moved on and it was left up to me ... but with no one to drag me out I sort of gave up! I have got a pedometer somewhere ... haven't seen it in a while though so I'll have a search for it this weekend and get started! Now the weather is warming up I might also start swimming 2 or 3 times a week ... but I say every year and so far it hasn't happened! ... This year I'll do it!!

I totally agree that it's harder to lose weight as you get older. In my younger years I could lose weight so easily. But then I do often think that perhaps it's because I wasn't in such a state then and didn't have anywhere near as much weight to lose as I do now. It was usually just the odd few pounds. The more you have to lose, the more difficult the task seems to be and the easier it is to just give up, thinking that you'll never be able to do it. But I'm not giving up this time!! I've got 3 months until I go back to the UK to visit my family and friends and I'm not going back looking like this! At this stage, I'd be totally happy just being able to get into my clothes and feel comfortable, instead of struggling to do the zip up and fasten the buttons etc. Everything looks so awful ... I hate going out because nothing fits me and I can't just keep buying bigger clothes ... which is what I've been doing for a while now! Basically, there are no bigger clothes in Hong Kong, so this time I really have no choice!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Last edited by Fat in Hong Kong; 04-14-2007 at 01:25 AM.
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 195/194/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi, and thanks for the welcome's!
Since rejoining Curves just over a month ago I've been watching portions, drinking more water. It's been hard to get to Curves as much as I've wanted to this past month, but my schedule is now clearing up and I will be able to get in a much better routine of going 3-4 times a week. I'm also trying to add in some walking or video's at home on the days I don't go to Curves - I find I'm much more motivated to do that when I'm going to Curves regularly. Starting this Monday I will be getting out my Richard SImmons foodmover - it's based on calories for your present weight (I will be at 1400), however the first week there is a Blast Off week which is 1000-1200 calories. It's hard but it does work to really get you in a good groove. My doctor has also recommended that I look at vitamin supplements with a good B complex and perhaps (If I want) geared towards weightloss and women heading into menopause.
So that's my plan - I'm sure things will have to be tweaked and changed as I go along but I'm not gonna let anything stop me from getting to my goal.
For me also, the hard part in the past has not been getting to my goal but remaining there - I'm a stress eater!
bibbityboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:39 PM   #81  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimush View Post
Jo...you are a real marvel to me...all you do in your personal life and you are this weight, cardio, exercise machine...Way to go for you! You increased your weights so maybe could it be that the toned arms are more heavier than the limp arms (sounds kind of goofy) because the muscle weighs more...when I bought my last pedometer this lady was talking about never weighing herself again but that she only measures herself...for her inches lost...You are doing really well! Be Proud! I wish I had your fortitude and stamina!
Oh Kim -- thank you so much for those words!! What a boost they are to my weight loss commitment. It isn't at all how I feel but thank you, thank you for saying them. The scale did drop 1 lb. this a.m. so I'm thinking I was just eating too many calories w/out realizing it last week. While I'm not a scale freak, going up 2 lbs. in 4 days is quite the mind trip. I count calories in my head and am great until dinner. Then I have a hard time figuring calories on casseroles or stew and the like. I was using FitDay but never seem to remember to figure out dinner! LOL Just need to work a little harder at it I guess. Gotta start doing the Nancy and just say no! And for some inexplicable reason, I have an easier time tweaking the exercise end vs. the eating end. Aggghhh, if only food didn't taste so darn good! Thank you again for your encourgagement; it is truly appreciated. Oh and so self-absored was I that I forgot to say on your 3 lb. loss. WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat in Hong Kong View Post
Morning Everyone!

Welcome to Bibbityboo!

Jo, Susan & Rhonda, reading your posts has made me feel so lazy ... it really is about time that I started to do some activity. I'm always finding excuses for not doing it ... I'm too tired ... I don't have time ... I hate it! ... etc. etc. But I realise that it's about time that I got moving! Susan, I think I'm going to take your advice to begin with and start walking again ... I used to do it 2 or 3 years ago with a friend and it really did help, but then she moved on and it was left up to me ... but with no one to drag me out I sort of gave up! I have got a pedometer somewhere ... haven't seen it in a while though so I'll have a search for it this weekend and get started! Now the weather is warming up I might also start swimming 2 or 3 times a week ... but I say every year and so far it hasn't happened! ... This year I'll do it!!
FIHK - I struggled w/exercise in the beginning but after I finally acclimated to it . . . for me about three months b/4 I felt like I could fininsh an exercise tape and really felt like I'd gotten a 'workout' . . . I started to enjoy it. I discovered exercising after my oldest (she's 16 now) was born. It worked to get that weight off. I've fallen off and on the exercise wagon over the years and always feel better when doing it. Walking is the best place to start. I gets you going, you can vary your routes, the more you improve the hillier routes you can take and it's free! I'm waiting for the stuipd weather to finally decide that it's springtime so I can get the dog out 3-5 times during the week. That extra bit seems to really help. You can do, I know you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat in Hong Kong View Post

I totally agree that it's harder to lose weight as you get older. In my younger years I could lose weight so easily.
I remember being in my early twenties and I could drink beer for dinner on a Friday and Saturday night, skip b-fast and lose 2 lbs. by Monday! Aaah, the good old days!! If I had done back then what I'm doing now I'd have been a brickhouse!!!!!

bittyboo!! This is a great thread; lots of helpful, funny ladies here.

Have a great weekend all. We're preparing for a Nor'easter (the weathermen get such a rush saying this!) tomorrow. Might be a good day to rent movies.

Jo

Last edited by Is that really me; 04-14-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #82  

Hey Everyone...

Nichola...I wear my pedometer and I park so far from things now it isn't funny and if the weather is crappy I instead walk up and down my stairs and through the house...It has worked...as long as I get in the 6000 steps and it is easy...once I lose some more weight then I will try the something different...Kickboxing for something weird and fun...I love to hike and walk on nature trails so when the gets good that maybe a plan...

Ladies... Group Hug ...The slower weight loss has to do with age and maturity...GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE THAT WAIT! Right? So maybe since we are all older and wiser than when were 20 years old...maybe this weight loss will and we will all live HAPPILY EVER AFTER! YEAH FOR ALL OF US!...Okay I can admit it now...I have been cleaning the stove and I have probably inhaled too many stove cleaner fumes... and I have gone loopy!

Nichola I know what you mean about the clothes my daughter is going to university so any extra money is going there and I don't have a spouse...I got into the same position...I love used clothing places...they are my favourite...but I could not really find anything that fit me anymore...so it was lose weight or go to Penningtons...What diet are you following?

Hey there Bibbityboo where in Ontario are you from I am from Brantford...and I will be darned I have a Richard Simmons sweating to the oldies tape somewhere around here...I am an emotional eater with a "fat tooth"...I am on the Best Life Plan!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #83  
Ashley

Height: 5'8"

Hello everyone. I lost track of this thread and just stumbled across it again.

It is much harder to lose weight at this age, especially after my hysterectomy. While I've fought the weight for 25 years, I could drop 20 pounds in a month when in was in my twenties. Now that same 20 pounds takes months and months, plus it jumps back on in no time flat if I stop paying attention for just a little bit.

I've had a hard time keeping my calories down lately, but have been doing a great job with the exercise. Been making a real determined effort to find some new "active" activities. Somehow reading, sewing, watching TV just don't cut it in the exercise department. Just finished week 1 on the couch-to-5k running program. Can't say I'm finding it invigorating yet, but I'll stick with it for awhile anyway. Over the weekend, I took a 1/2 day class in canoeing at the local recreation center that was a lot of fun. Also do a 1-hour upper-body weight-lifting routine three times per week. I figure a more active life-style will stay with me longer than the motivation to attend the gym.

Hope you all have a great week.
Ashley103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:24 AM   #84  

Hey Everyone...

Hope everyone is okay with the Nor'easter my thoughts and prayers are going out to everyone!

Hey again Ashley103, I am glad you found us! It sounds like you and Jo are exercise gurus...holy hannah running, caneoing and weight lifting...I am just happy getting in my 6000 steps on my pedometer...

What type of diet/program do you follow?

Okay everyone I am going to bed...so have a good night and a rock on fabulous day!
Old 04-16-2007, 03:50 AM   #85  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Hi All & Welcome to Ashley!

It's my first day back at work today after the Easter Hols and boy was it difficult to get up this morning! I've been so used to staying in bed and having long lie-ins for the past couple of weeks ... I could have cried when the alarm went off this morning! One good thing about being back at work though, is that I don't tend to eat so much ... except when some inconsiderate people bring tempting stuff into the staff room, but I'm going to have to learn to deal with it!

Jo, thanks for the vote of confidence regarding the exercise ... I really will make an effort to get started!

Kimush, I'm basically counting calories ... I've tried many different 'diets' over the years and found that calories works best for me. Basically, I can't cope with plans that tell me what I can and can't have because I just start to crave the stuff that I'm not supposed to have and end up falling off the track. With calorie counting, I mostly try to stick to healthy stuff, but I know that I can have that chocolate bar/glass of wine/the odd takeaway, if I really feel like it ... as long as I count it in my calories of course!
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #86  
mudbug

S/C/G: 232/215/160

Height: 5'9

Hey guy's

Been off line for a few days. Glad to see everyone is doing fine

Did good on eating this weekend, didn't go overboard which I do when dh is

around with nothing to do Need to find him a hobby!! Other than

smoking ribs on his smoker, which are to die for by the way. My bike was

in the shop, finally got it back today went for a good 90 min. ride so

hopfuly I should see the scales moving down . That's not too much to

ask I really need to incorporate weights in my workouts, but I

absolutly hate doing them. Well, need to go mow.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #87  
Ashley

Height: 5'8"

I count calories too and write them down in a food log. If I don't keep track of the calorie count, pretty soon I'm eating 4,000 calories per day and wondering why the weight is packing back on. I've been trying to find new active activities for exercise vs sitting around doing "quiet" activities like reading. Right now, I'm either walking 10,000 steps per day, lifting weights for an hour or running every day.

I'm off on a business trip for the rest of the week and may not have computer access. Everyone - have a great week!
Ashley103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #88  

Hey All,

Nichola I know what you mean...some of those diets that have crazy dos and don'ts, I can't tolerate either...but I am equally as undisciplined when it comes to counting calories so I would be stuck...

Glad to see everyone did okay with the Nor'eater...

Everything is good here in Canada...but I am really crunching and could eat my own foot...I am wanting to munch...and it is too close to bed...so I a going to chew gum and drink water...

TTFN
Old 04-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #89  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Hi guys. I don't know what happens on the weekends but I never seem to find time to post. Hmm, more likely I never get a chance to actually get a minute to myself to even get on the computer. Kids!

I've been doing really well this week. I've spent the last two days shopping for something to wear to a wedding shower I have to go to this weekend. I HATE shopping for clothes when I'm not ready to do it yet. In another 10 lbs., sure but not just yet. Alas, I have nothing nice enough to wear. It's really depressing when you've lost some, feel good, are staying on track then you go into the dressing rooms w/rear view mirrors and get a gander at your own rear view. If that doesn't play mind games with you nothing will.

I did find a nice pair of pants and also a jacket/pants linen suit for the wedding. Alterior motive for my clothes is that I have to be able to wear them for work (tax write off!). I'm now headed to the mall to find shoes. 'Cause you know those of us w/a low ceiling height have to hem everything blessed thing and I can't do that till I get me some shoes.

Hope everyone is doing ok. I did start the 28 day body makeover on Monday. I can't follow the eating plan exactly (it's bascially just really clean eating w/very little starchy carbs). It's tough to eat oatmeal and eggs when you're driving a car. But I'm following the exercise part. Oh, lift heavy weights. And here I thought I was doing that all along!

Have a great day all!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #90  

Hello Everybody...

Jo It is a pity that we didn't live close by...I have sizes from 20 to 4...since I love to thrift store shop I have ton of designer stuff...that is half the fun of losing weight I always have new clothes to wear that I forgot about...aside from thrift store shopping I hate to spend money but I love window shopping (you don't have to try anything on!)...That is the other good thing about thrift stores...they have fewer mirrors... YEAH!

Oatmeal and eggs...UGG! I can't even think of anything funny to say about that!

I have tried that "pribiotic" bread...and for my digestive system it is essentially a laxative sandwich! Yup! I don't know if anyone else has digestive problems (constipation) but this would be a remedy for you...All I wanted something good and healthy and this bread hemp seeds and ancient grains and a ton of other healthy stuff but...it isn't for everyone!

So what is the 28 day makeover?

Tomorrow is weigh in!