Old 02-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #226  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

No personals this morning, as I want to get to the grocery store and the pharmacy to pick up our prescriptions and get those chores over with.

My scale moved downward again so I must be doing something right. We have a grandson's birthday party to go to tomorrow with pizza and cake. I've already had a talk with myself about that (yes I do talk to myself - if only I always listened) and said that if I avoid the pizza and cake I can have Chinese tomorrow night, without the rice. Since Chinese is my favorite and the party is only a two hour party this should be easy. We'll see lol.

I hope those of your who are suffering - which sounds like just about all of you - are feeling better soon. Take care of yourselves and I hope you all have a great day.
Cindylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #227  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

It's another absolutely gorgeous day here. The daffodils are blooming along with the early fruit trees. It got up into the 60s yesterday and was warm enough to be outside without a jacket. And the mountain -- our beautiful, snow covered, majestic mountain -- was out in all her glory. After 10 years here, I still go out on my porch and just look at her. It's my form of calming and meditation.

Sam -- Thank you for writing my personals! Actually, ditto on what Sam said. Hope DH had a good birthday, and it was nice of you BIL to treat for dinner. Glad you came through the stormy/tornado weather OK -- looks like the South took a beating.

Fi -- I do so appreciate the sympathy/empathy after my run in with frozen food of the large variety! There was an Alfred Hitchcock episode on once where the wife killed the husband with a frozen leg of lamb and then cooked it and fed it to the police investigating the murder. I thought of that as I was practicing using my inappropriate vocabulary! I'm so glad that Bob will be able to "fix" the pottery piece. I do that with things but seem to spend a lot of time removing the item from my fingers after using too much super glue. Man. I sound like a clutz.....I agree that Eastern and Western medicial approaches are far apart. There's a lot to Eastern medicine I don't understand, but I really admire your receptiveness to both learning and practicing this. And the image of you waving your upper body or legs to rock music will stay with me all day. You have a compatriot who does the same thing on the other side of the country.

Porthardygurl -- Breathe in. Breathe out. Have you been in touch with the husband while you're taking care of the kids and his wife? I know he has a restraining order, but wondered if he's tried to make contact with you during this. Not many good answers in this situation, and I doubt if your friend (the wife) will ever truly appreciate all you've done for her. I'm glad you can catch a nap and a swim -- sounds like you desperately need both each day.

Cindy -- Good for you for owning a downward moving scale. I need to get one of those (if only they made them without any dieting effort being involved). I totally understand talking to yourself. Some days the only conversations worth remembering are ones I have with myself. Have fun at the birthday party and enjoy having Chinese food sans rice.

Donna -- Were you this active before your marriage or are you making up for missed opportunities. Good for you for getting out there and doing. So much of what you're involved in sounds great. Are the workmen finished with the house? How are the ewes -- surely they've lambed by now.

I think I'll get Bill's dog, Becky, and bring her over for a play date with Toby. They love being together and both get a lot of exercise chasing each other all over the yard. And, more work on the photo album. I'm about 1/3 to 1/2 done with the last one and am eager to just be finished. Time to get it in gear. Hope everyone has a great day.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldawg89 View Post
Thanks SamIAm, I wouldn't leave him just because he was overweight, that would be crazy! I do love him more than anything, I'm just worried about him, I want to have a family with him, and I want to grow old with him, I am just worried if things keep going the way they are with his health, it wont happen. I will try to talk to him, but I am worried about how he will take it, because like you said, if someone had to have that discussion with me, I would be humiliated and sad. He really wants bariatric surgery, but he cant afford it.

I am not having thoughts of leaving him or anything, I am just worried. As for my parents, they can be really cruel. I know they want what is best for me, but they say some really hurtful things, and if they judged me on whether I was a catch or not based on my weight, I would die a spinster, because I am not an oil painting either!

I am so sorry!! I completely misunderstood what you had said...Please accept my apology. He obviously already knows his weight is an issue if he is considering bariatric surgery. Maybe having the talk with him and offering to help since that isn't something he can't afford might cheer him up. He could also start a go fund me account to help pay for the surgery if that is something that would interest him. There's also a website that you can do the same thing but it's specifically for plastic surgeries and of the like. Just a thought.
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #229  

Quickly checking in as I am still at work...scarfing down my lunch as we speak.

No personals today but just wanted to tell everyone to have a great weekend...We've all been having our own personal struggles here lately and just wanted to tell everyone...It's going to be ok. I'm having a hard time lately with not seeing any progress. I don't know what I could be doing wrong. Maybe I just can't lose anymore weight? I don't know...Do I really have that much skin that is taking up a good chunk of extra weight just hanging there? I mean how much does skin actually weigh? I'm going to keep pushing along even if it takes forever to get the rest of this weight gone. I'm so ready for it to be warm enough outside so I can actually get long walks in. As much as I love working out at home and going to the gym going on long walks/jogs is what I love the best. Especially when DH is with me. I remember in the summer time we'd get up to doing 5-8 miles a day depending on where we are and what we were doing. It was great and we both really saw some progress with that. I'll get it going in the right direction eventually...Just can't give up. Maybe this doctor's appointment next month will help me too.

Take care my friends. Sending love your way all day everyday!
Old 02-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #230  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

My progress toward getting my life back was short-lived, to say the least. I had one day, last Sunday, of being able to walk without crippling pain, of being able to move around my own house without a wheelchair. The following day was my birthday, so I did what I wanted to do and ignored the evidence that the pain was back, as bad as ever. That one day now appears to have been a fluke: I have no idea why. I am in the same place I've been in for many months: unable to walk more than 6 feet or so, and each step is very painful.

I am so discouraged, so angry, so frustrated... I've been brooding over all that happened to me during the terrible year of 2015, and finding a lot of people to blame—my doctors, that is. But what does blame accomplish? Nothing. Nothing at all.

All I want is to get my life back. I am so down right now I'm thinking about killing myself. Not seriously—don't worry. I am just thinking—not intending or planning. The only reason I even mention it is to give you an idea of how horrible I feel. I don't want to live like this. But I have no choice. Suicide is not, and will never be, an option.

And I'm not depressed, either. I can't ascribe these feelings to an abnormal state in my brain. This is reality.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #231  
rockin' my 60s!

Sorry for being so dark in my last posting. It's been a very weird week. I need to give myself (and perhaps Mike, too) a good talking-to about how the progress of recovery from my Big Disaster of 2015 is going to be glacial. So we all (that includes Bob, too) need to settle down, quit roller coastering, and commit to this for the long journey it's gonna be.

Kinda like weight loss, ain't it? =resigned grin=
Old 02-27-2016, 03:00 AM   #232  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Good evening..

And what an evening it is.. More drama just when i thought it would end. So just as my friend finally made a good decision to go live with her mom temporarily with her kids..she now decided that she shouldnt go and she should stay in town. Why is this not a good move? Because she cant care for her kids by herself. Well no problem...the government approved funding for her to be able to get a live out nanny for 56 hours a week so she can be at home with the kids. This is great news for the future but not good news for the present. Why? Cause its going to take a lot longer than a week to find a qualified person or 2 people due to criminal record checks and reference checks and clean drivers abstracts. But apparently she is okay with that as long as someone is there to do her laundry and pick up and drop off her kids and etc etc etc. She actually asked me if i would do it and she could pay me. I said no..flat out no. Yes..we need the money but she is my best friend and i am terrified of 2 thing.

1) i will lose my best friend because she would be my boss. I try not to work for friends and family
2) She knows how to take advantage of me and she could ask me to do things beyond what the job entitles because im her best friend and im generous in helping her. So yah...i said no.

I guess i wish she would get it figured out.

Funny thing though. My husband had to go to a drs appt in the next town over so i arranged someone to pick up her kids and she dealt with them for an hour by herself. Well..i get there just a little over an hour later and her kids have literally been inside all afternoon. The schedule i wrote out says snack first then outside for an hour. Her kids have special needs and they need to get outside every day to help deal with the high anxiety and hyperactivity. Yah...not only were they not outside..they finished snack late. She also hadnt started dinner. She hadnt even gotten them in there pajamas. Yah...the schedule doesnt function when she is there by herself with her kids.

On another note..i just want to say how pissed off i am at the fact that her husband is the one that assaulted her and yet she gets the crappy end of the deal having to sort out her emotional baggage on top of caring for the kids. Meanwhile we found out tonight that he is living it up as a single guy. He is living free of rent. People are buying his food for him. He has zero responsibilities and going to all of these social things happening at night and yet she is stuck at home dealing with the kids unable to go to social functions of any kind and un able to have a break from life cause sue is too busy trying to make sure she has a pkan in place for her kids lives..or should i say..she waits for me to make a plan for her and then claims it as her own. Point is- the abuser gets to take a vacation from life and responsibility while she has to worry and stress and deal with the aftermath of being the victim of a crime..sounds fair doesnt it??
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:01 AM   #233  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Sorry for spouting off..im still trying to relieve my stress at least a little so i dont get a stomach ulcer and so i can sleep tonight at least for 6 hours. I just cant let it out around her or her kids..i need to let it go somewhere and i hope here is okay.

Anyway..im so tired..im heading to sleep. Night night.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #234  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Default Hi everyone!

Good afternoon all my lovely chickens...well it is afternoon over here!
Oh Fi...I am so sorry you are suffering so much. Hang on to the thought and feeling that you COULD do it...all be it briefly. But I admit...it is almost like your body was deliberately being cruel to you. Hugs my lovely.
Port...I hope you are enjoying some "me"time? It was ever the way that men could walk out on a complicated family and live the single life whilst Mum ends up literally holding the baby. I know that he has had a hard time but you think he would be more invested in his childrens' well being wouldn't you? Or am I being too harsh? And for what it is worth I completely agree with your not taking the job as a paid carer. The lines would be too blurred. What a wonderful friend you are!
Betsy.....I have always liked being busy. I used to work full time and squeezed in as much as possible when I was in my 20's and 30's. However, having children and then a declining mental health(oh that sounds a bit wrong...I don't blame my children for my mental health problems....just my grey hairs!). And as I am not currently working I am seeing getting myself healthy and fit as "work" and try to use my time as positively as possible. I must say though that I have a tendency to do too much and leave myself rather washed out so I have to put rest days or rest periods in my diary to stop myself from overdoing it.
Sam...do not despair...see the bigger picture...blah blah! On Extreme Makeover weight loss the clients are doing at least 2 hours of hard physical exercise a day and their weight loss slows...so when confronted with real life it is bound to be achingly slow. Don't forget you are my hero so keep going!!!
Cindy....well done on the scale moving down my lovely!
Caldawg...how are you?

Well the scale went down again this morning. I know it is because doing anything other than sitting on the sofa uses about a zillion calories an hour and as I get smaller it will become harder but it pleased me anyway. I haven't put it on my ticker because I am going to wait until my official weigh day on Monday. I have just done 45 minutes on Wii dance ...much to the bemusement of the cat....I can't have the dogs in here when I do it...it would be chaos! A couple of months ago I could only do 20 minutes and then my knees really hurt so I was pleased!
I went to the gym yesterday and was able to use the static bike...albeit with the seat really high to accommodate my restricted knee movement.
I am off to have a modest pampering session and a shower!
Take care chickens...and for those of you in a bad place my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Donna

Last edited by mountain walker; 02-27-2016 at 11:39 AM.
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #235  

SO FREAKING MAD RIGHT NOW!!! HAD MY POST ALL TYPED OUT....HIT SUBMIT AND I GOT LOGGED OUT!!!!!!!

Too mad to type it all out again. Guess I'll have to go back to copying my post before I submit just in case. Will tell you at least I just finished the hardest workout I've ever done..Chalene Johnson's HIIT30 workout. It's seriously no joke...Look at my face LOL

Time to take a rest, have a snack and work on tidying up the house while DH takes a nap. Be well my friends!
Old 02-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #236  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Good morning. I think it's morning. It's so rainy, foggy, and gloomy that it's kind of hard to tell. However, I am in a really good mood because I finished the photo album project yesterday. And since I had ordered way too many supplies (the story of my life), the 2 extra binders, 3 reams of card stock, and 4 boxes of sheet protectors are going to my nephew who is a teacher. He said that his school desperately needs supplies like this so I'm glad they won't just sit on a shelf for a long time.

Sam -- To answer your question, yes, the excess skin can weigh a lot. I just googled, and average sized adult with no excess skin will have 8-10 pounds of skin. So, as much as we've stretched ours out, we would probably lose at least 5 pounds from having it removed. In terms of the slow down, maybe check your calories. I don't know if you are still tracking what you eat, but maybe doing that for a week will help with determining if you need to lower them. And maybe you've just hit one of those plateaus that are maddening. The important thing is you're not giving up and resorting to old eating habits. And I agree -- ready for spring to have sprung.

Fi -- I think you have every right to be mad at your doctors both for getting you into this and for not being more proactive on what it will take to get you back to being able to walk. The teaser day does give us all hope that eventually this will end for you. But glacial is definitely the speed at which this seems to be moving. It's so hard to remain positive and hopeful when our bodies won't let us do the simplest things.

Porthardygurl -- Please don't ever feel the need to apologize for spouting off with all you're going through right now. If it helps any, I concur that you made the right decision in not working for your friend. Maybe her mother can convince her to go stay with her until the workers are hired.

Donna -- Every day you just bring a ray of sunshine and hope into our lives. I love that all of your activities and efforts are resulting in a downward moving scale. Add in seeing improvements in the ever present sore knees and you are getting a win-win. So happy for you to have this happening after all you've gone through.

I FINALLY made it through a day yesterday without cheating on my plan. I am so addicted to sugar that every day has started with a "little" cheat which blossomed into a big cheat. And it always seemed to occur between 2-3 PM. So, I did some reading and found out that that's about when our bodies run low on serotonin and that tryptophan is the natural way to increase our serotonin levels. And, fortunately, tryptophan is found is several foods -- besides turkey. So, I had a snack yesterday about 2 -- which I never do -- and it definitely staved off the I've-got-to-have-some-sugar cravings. This probably isn't news to any of you, but I feel like maybe I've turned a corner on being able to believe that I can do this.

Does anyone else struggle with believing in themselves that they can lose the weight? I know all of the science behind weight loss and what I should and shouldn't eat and why. But actually believing that I can do it long term and lose the over 200 pounds that I need to lose just seems to bring out the I can't do it thoughts. And part of what pushes me has been my inability to stay on plan for even one day. Hopefully this will be the start of a better outlook on this.

I need to run to the grocery store today and get the tomato seeds planted so that they're big enough to be able to have tomatoes this summer. Toby needs a bath and so do I, so maybe I'll do that at the same time. Thank heavens for a very large shower! Hope everyone has a great day.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #237  
rockin' my 60s!

My legs are somewhat better today, enough in fact that I walked some 15'-20' feet (I'm lousy at judging distances) from the bottom of the stairway to the futon. Yes it hurt, but it was worth it. I think the weather affects them a lot: today is lovely and sunny here, with just a few wisps of clouds to show off the blue.

We are both immensely relieved that the window installation is finally done. They look good, too: the glass area is the same size as the old ones, and instead of shabby, leaky aluminum frames, they have nice, tight, white ones. Even the screens are an improvement: they hardly cut down at all on visibility. And of course the fancy new eco-glass is absolutely spotless. I can't wait for the crap to be cleared out of the hallway so I can wheel myself down to my studio and admire the new window in there.

Last night and today I've been reading Christopher Isherwood's semi-autobiographical Berlin Stories—the one about vivid characters, including gay men, in 1930s Berlin. It gave rise to the play "I Am a Camera" and the movie "Cabaret." It's a book I've promised myself for many years that I could read for the first time when I needed a pick-me-up. I've read so much about it, I knew it would be a splendid piece of literature. And it is—it's fabulous! It's not a collection of stories, but rather two novels, back to back. I've been so riveted, I've almost finished the first one. So many gay writers I admire were inspired to write by Isherwood; it's really something to be back at the source, as it were. So far the homosexual themes are quite subtle. I was surprised to read in Armistead Maupin's introduction that Isherwood didn't come out until he was an old man. How wonderful it is that things have changed since he was young... but of course they need to keep changing further before all human societies are fully accepting of sexual preference.

Let me say this to Sam (you poor dear) and to everyone else: once you find you've written a fair amount in a posting, select the text and save it to your clipboard. Then do so again before you submit it for posting. I've been lazy about doing that myself, but no more! It's such an easy precaution to take, and saves so much aggravation if disaster hits.

Last edited by Fiona W; 02-27-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:37 PM   #238  
rockin' my 60s!

Betsy— I'm responding to your question, "Does anyone else struggle with believing in themselves that they can lose the weight?"

There are four things that come to mind:

(1) I don't think you should frame the question that way: it's too big of a thing to believe in. What I mean is, you don't need to believe that you can lose over 200 pounds. That's a huge endeavor, and a long one, and few people can pull it off. In fact, I don't even think you should try to believe that. What you need to believe is that you are changing your eating and exercise habits one day at a time. Just like alcoholics in AA do—they don't choose to be sober for the rest of their lives: they choose not to drink on just one single day, from the moment they wake up in the morning until they go to bed that night. And then they do it again, the next day. That way, if they do slip up and drink, they can start over the next day with an absolutely clean slate. No recriminations, no guilt, no undermining of your confidence in yourself. No past, and no future! Just today. As Mike (my Qi Gong instructor/healer) puts it, when he teaches meditation, "There is no next breath. There is only this breath." You've probably heard of mindfulness: it's about being in the moment, right now. This one day.

(2) My own experience—and yours may differ—is that I had to get mastery over cravings. When I'm standing there at 2 PM or whenever, and I find myself wanting something sweet, it's very important for me to identify that as a craving, an impulse—not a done deal. Back before I began losing weight, I used to think that if I strongly desired, say, to drive to 7-11 and buy some cookies, that the steps were already in motion, as if riding on rails: I was picking up my car keys and my wallet, out the door, in my car, and so on... (Please note, by the way: Except for the three bars of dark chocolate I have on my birthday, Hallowe'en, and Yule, I never ever ever have sweets in the house. I know that you do, because you make sweet things for your relatives. That's a whole 'nother issue you may want to think through some time. Is there a way to minimize that, so that the number of hours you're alone in a house that has sweets in it are as few as possible? You owe it to your grands to live a long time, too, not just to give them yummy stuff to eat. But like I said, that's a separate issue.) Anyway, about the "done deal" thing: It was as if my eating cookies was decreed from on high, that's how irrevocable I thought it was.

I changed that way of thinking. I decided to use the word craving like a sticker: as soon as the desire appeared in my head, I stuck that sticker on it. I told myself, "Don't act, not yet at least. And don't be afraid. This is just a craving." Now it helped me that I had already done quite a bit of pondering on the distinction between a thought and an action. Anyone who suffers from serious depression has to confront that distinction, because when you're seriously depressed, the thought of suicide appears spontaneously in your head. It's one of the symptoms of the disease, just like lousy mood, memory problems, etc. But it's just something that messed-up chemicals in your brain are causing: it's not a plan, it's not a choice you've made, and above all, it's not an action.

Here's an analogy: the distinction between fiction and reality. I think it's important that if you watch a movie that has a violent scene in it, like someone being killed, no matter how powerfully you've entered into the fictional story as if it's really happening (Coleridge called it "the willing suspension of disbelief"), you simultaneously stay aware at all times that you are sitting in a room, in front of your TV, watching a movie in which special effects of some kind are being used to create the illusion that someone's being killed. Same deal if you read a crime novel: it's fiction.

So getting back to that thought with the sticker reading "craving" applied to it... What are some things you might do in response to that thought? Sure, you could choose to act on it and get something sweet to eat. But that's only one possibility. You could decide to just observe it. Look at the clock and see what time it is, then let the craving sit there in your head while you do something else, or even just think something else. No doubt you already do that, telling yourself "Don't do that—don't eat something sweet" or "I have to stick to my eating plan for today" and so on. But here's what's wrong with those thoughts: you're fighting the craving. Fighting the craving just gives it more power. If you tell a little kid they can't have something, how do they react? They want it all the more fiercely! So instead of doing that, just let the thought sit there with its "craving" sticker on it, and do, or think about, something completely unrelated to food, dieting, eating plans, losing weight, etc. Go about that activity, and simultaneously observe the craving. Don't judge it. Don't judge yourself. Just observe how the craving waxes and wanes, changes, whatever. Eventually, I guarantee you, you'll check in on the place where the craving was, and you'll notice that it's gone. You no longer have that thought of wanting something sweet. Then look at the clock: how long did it last? 30 minutes? That wasn't so bad, was it, observing the craving for 30 minutes? The pain in your foot when you dropped the ham on it lasted lots longer than that, didn't it? However long the craving lasts, I absolutely guarantee you: if you don't fight the craving, if you just let it sit there broadcasting its idiotic little "ice cream" image or whatever, it will eventually go away.

If you need more help with this maneuver, if you're having a hard time just observing it, I highly recommend you read Kathryn Hansen's Brain over Binge. The book starts off with her detailed personal story about being an athlete, then a bigtime binger, and so on. It's an interesting story, and you get to know the author by reading it, but if you find you don't relate to it, just skip it. The true gold in Hansen's book is in the second part, where she tells you about her brain-over-binge technique. If you don't want to use the word "binge," just substitute the word "craving." That's what I did. But she's a really good writer, and she explains the technique in such a way that anyone can do it, believe me.

(3) You may want to do something else in addition to getting distance from the cravings so you don't act on them. You may also want to buttress your intention, your will to get through just that one day on plan. I've described more than once the slow breathing technique: the real ticket to using that technique is to get your breathing rate down to no more than four breaths a minute. It takes a little practice, but it's not that hard to do. But even if you just get your rate down to five or six breaths a minute, that will also strengthen your will. As I've said before, this has been shown, with functional, real-time MRI's, to activate the part of your brain involved in making deliberate choices, the "executive center" as it's called. The craving to eat something sweet does not happen in the executive center: it originates in an older, more primitive part of your brain, the place where you make split-second decisions you're not even consciously aware of, like suddenly running as fast as you can because a sabertooth tiger is after you.

Now how long do you need to do the slow breathing? Ten minutes is plenty; twenty minutes is even better. But no more than that is necessary. When do you do it? Whenever you want, but don't wait until you're having the craving: do it earlier in the day, and the effect will last, for several hours. And you can use it for other stuff, too, like getting the will to do some unpleasant job.

But do it every day. It's meditation, too, because you're just relaxed and focused on your breathing, so it's good for you. Long, slow, deep breaths. Soon you'll find you don't think of it as some gimmick Fi is telling you about: you'll like doing it so much, you'll look forward to it.

(4) One last, short thought. You phrased your question with the word "belief." One time when I was struggling with getting a Qi Gong technique to work for me, I asked Mike, "What's the role of belief in all of this? Do I have to believe in this stuff to make it work?"

He answered, "Belief is the training wheels for intention."

I love that! First you mount the belief: I believe I can get through one single day eating and exercising on plan. Then you find you're rolling on the bicycle of intention, moving through your day with your will holding you up. Once you get the knack of that, once you know you're going to move forward and not fall down, you don't need the belief anymore. You've got intention. You've got will. You're doing it. One day at a time.

P.S. You may think that my saying this indicates I have a swelled head, and maybe I do, =laugh= but I suggest you print out this posting so you can re-read it when you need to. These weren't easy lessons for me to learn, so they probably won't be easy for you, either. Learning challenging things takes repetition: you know that. Good luck! =smile=

Last edited by Fiona W; 02-27-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:45 AM   #239  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

SamIA - no worries, just a misunderstanding. I hope things improve for you!

Betsy - YES! I have felt like that for a loooooooong time! I am lucky that my exercise/diet regimen is very strict, meaning I don't have to guess or fudge up anything; if the food isn't on my plan, it doesn't go in my mouth.. That has helped me dispel the horrid self doubts I have had since I was a little girl. It didn't come on overnight, so we wont lost it overnight. We just have to keep the faith. Have you revisited your diet/exercise regimen? I honestly could not have made 5 weeks on my new life without the support of this forum, or the support from the ladies at the gym I go to.. Even my own mother doesn't really think I am taking it seriously.. She said "Darl, some of us are meant to be thoroughbreds, and others are bred to be Clydesdales" - in her words, she was effectively telling me to accept the status quo and just live with the fact that I am morbidly obese (according to BMI) and have been for most of my life. To that, I say NO WAY! Keep up the great work, you will get there! And lean on us if you need anything!

To update everyone, I had the chat with my partner.. He was fine with it, he wasn't upset. I told him that I am blatantly refusing to start a family until we are BOTH within a healthy weight range. He really wants to have bariatric surgery but cant afford it at the moment, however he is looking into avenues to have it paid for. I thought the talk was going well, we went for a drive and I spoke to him about my feelings, I thought he was taking it in, yet through the course of the day, he had 2 big sandwiches, 3 massive serves of soft drink, and to top it off, a coffee full of sugar AND 3 macaroons on the way home at about 10pm last night.. I cant help feeling like it fell on deaf ears..

I am only in my mid 20s, and its not like my biological clock is ticking, but I know as well as anyone that weightloss takes time, and I am worried that I will be cutting it fine with us BOTH getting our lives in order, and then starting a family. I have had several issues relating to my reproductive system, and I am scared I will waste more time trying/getting help with falling pregnant, and before I know it, it will be too late for me and I will have missed my chance.. I don't know what to do. I am pretty set on us both being healthier before babies..

I weigh in tomorrow too, and as normal, I am nervous.. Hopefully it will be fine! My cholesterol medication is going fine, I haven't had any other side effects, other that a bad backache, a splitting headache, nausea and muscle aches in the first few days of taking them, so fingers crossed they are doing their job! I will update my weight tomorrow night. While I am thinking about it, can anyone tell me how to get a weight ticker on my profile? I just want to personalise it a bit! Thanks, I hope everyone is having a great weekend!
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #240  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Default Hope I don't lose this one!

I too have lost long posts!
Administrators....why do I have to log BACK in to post?
Fi....thank you so much for that long post which must have taken you ages. It was really interesting to read. One of the things that I struggle with is thinking of food as "the enemy" and being scared of it. On the face of it, that sounds like a ridiculous statement but I know there will be other ladies out there who understand! I was working with my therapist around the issue of allowing myself to have the odd blip in my healthy eating and exercise without feeling like I have failed and plunging into a massive binge period and low mood just because I have had one bad meal or even one bad day. This is forever this healthy eating stuff and it is unreasonable.....and highly unlikely that I can maintain ultra-strict control all the time! My "homework" was to go away from the therapy session and have a sweet treat in a coffee shop and accept that Yep, I enjoyed it.....but it doesn't mean that I have failed at my diet and I can go on with my day without being scared of failure. I actually had an ice cream that I shared with the dog, sitting in some sunshine by the beach. And ....the sky didn't fall in and I carried right on with my healthy eating and exercise!
Caldawg....It may be that your partner needs time to assimilate the conversation that you had with him? Good luck with your weigh in tomorrow!
Betsy...the improvement in my chest has really made a massive difference. Even if I go down with a chest infection this week.....it is still nearly 3 weeks since my last chest infection which is the longest gap in almost 3 years. It will change my life! The builders have also nearly finished which pleases me greatly!
Well....I had to take my jeans in again today. Once I get to 28lb lost (2 stone) I will treat myself to some new jeans as they will look a bit silly by then!
Sam and I intend going on the Wii-fit this afternoon and I might do 10 minutes on my mini trampoline later.
Have a great Sunday....Donna
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote