Old 02-17-2016, 01:42 AM   #151  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Height: 5'2"

Fell off the wagon today. Not by much, but enough. I didn't exercise yesterday or today. I overate a little today. I have a sick kid at home, and this week is a busy week at work.

I'm feeling kind of blue. I wish that I had the drive to do something cool about ten years ago. I was a scaredy cat. I didn't feel very adept at anything then, and I still don't. I might have had a chance then, though.

I may not be at my job much longer. My next contract review comes up in March, and work has been sporadic. It makes me sad.

At least I've had the good fortune of being able to listen to what employers in my field want.

Got the old mini kind of fixed. The frame was so bent that the digitizer doesn't quite fit like it should. It works though. I'm typing on it now. I had to unplug the battery and plug it back in to get this thing to go. That was kind of weird. It's funny. I worry about a key logger after I get it set up.

Having trouble sleeping. I know that I need to sleep, but my mind is busy.
tootsieroll81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:02 AM   #152  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Sam I too felt horribly ill after eating bread products. I also craved bread like it was going out of style. I always wondered why? I also wondered why i got a rash on my arms and why i felt constantly fatigue andwhy i felt anxious all the time after eating bread and why my face always had the puffy look and why my stomach always looked so bloated that i could pass off as a pregnent person. Yah...the end result..All of the issues came down to a gluten intolerance. The moment i eat gluten and wheat based products, i crave it so bad and my body feels like its vibrating and i feel anxious..tummy bloats..i feel exhausted..its horrible! I didnt think that somthing could do that to me.

So long story short.. I went cold turkey..got off of everything containing any kind of gluten and did that non stop for several months. The results? My stomach is fat but not bloated..the rash on my arms is gone. My face isnt puffy and i have energy and i nolonger feel anxious. I feel totally different and even though i think from time to time that i would love to hop off the diet train and eat a piece of bread..i always think about the consequence of how i will feel after..so im just not going there..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:06 AM   #153  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

Thanks to everyone who has commented regarding my cholesterol. I started the medication today and so far, so good, no side effects. Thankyou for suggesting the other tests, I will speak to my doctor ASAP. I have to go back and have another raft of tests in 3 months, so I will make sure I have spoken to my doctor regarding the other tests.

I guess I just feel a bit embarrassed about being put on cholesterol medication when I am only in my mid 20s. I am overweight and I have a predisposition to developing high cholesterol as it runs in my family, I just thought I would have a little more time before I was given the news?

I have spoken to a couple of friends about it today, and I feel a bit better about it. I guess it is another facet of looking after myself. Thankyou to everyone for your support and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

I am really determined to make the changes I am making permanent for my own health and well-being. That in itself is really scary for me because with the cholesterol thing, I know this is dire, and I also know how much work I need to put in to essentially save my own life. Its scary.
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:09 AM   #154  
Porthardygurl

Well checkin in to say goodnight.. Such a busy day. I made 3 recipes today unexpectedly. I made my choco zucchini cake over again. It worked out this time thank god. I attempted the new recipe for low carb gluten free sugar free whey protein graham crackers...yah...it was a no go. It was supposed to result in a "stiff dough". Instead i got a ball of wet sticky glop. No matter how much extra protein powder i added to it..it didnt work. So in the garbage it went. I then made another low carb gluten free sugar free graham cracker recipe using a combo of almond flour and protein powder and success!!! I made homemade cinnamon toast crunch cereal. Hallelujah! I also made homemade gluten free low carb crutons in the oven for my ceasar salad using my soul bread and it was sooooo awesome being able to have crutons.. And earlier i had a piece of toast slathered in butter and garlic powder. There are certain things that you just cant live without food wise and its so nice when you find thatsweet spot with a recipe.

Coming up next.. going to make a low carb sugar free marshmellow fluff recipe to dip graham crackers in.. wahoo!
Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #155  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Hi everyone.

Porthardygurl, I love how creative you are in the kitchen. Maybe you should consider putting together a cookbook for others who are eating low-carb and glutein-free.

Betsy, I love your daily weather reports and sf pudding. I haven't made any in a long time so now I'm thinking I should.

Fi, I hope you had a good session with Mike yesterday, and you're starting to feel better.

Donna, you will have to let us know how the dance class goes on Thursday. It sounds like fun. I'm glad you had a chance to buy some new things for yourself. Why do we always wait to buy undergarments until ours are full of holes? I'm guilty of that too.

Sam, I love your determination and new-found resolve. You will do this. You have come so far. I believe in you. I think it's definitely possible that the bread could make you feel bloated, especially since you normally don't eat it. I've decided to stay away from bread and refined carbs for awhile myself and also get back to my veggie and protein diet, with a little fruit. I recently read that bananas help the bloated feeling and the last two nights I've had one as an evening snack and that seems to be true. They are also supposed to help you sleep so it's a win-win.

Tootsie, I hear you about not feeling very adept at work. I'm kind of going through that same kind of thing now that I'm out of work. I never really had a career, just went from job to job, and while I have learned a lot it doesn't seem to apply to anything I'm looking at doing now.

Caldawg, I'm glad to see you are feeling a bit better about the medication and about getting healthy. I think getting healthy is really what we're all trying to do. If you do start to experience side effects from the medication make sure you let the doctor know.

Thank you everyone for weighing in on the eating out issue. It's good to know I'm not alone. That is something I have to work on. I can eat out for breakfast or lunch and do ok. Something about dinner though...

Yesterday was a good food day. I had a salad for lunch and made a delicious chicken and asparagus stir-fry for dinner last night and have some left over for lunch today. Today I'm trying a new recipe called the best beef vegetable soup. We will see if it's actually the best lol. Of course I have to tweak it. I can rarely follow a recipe as written. I always have to put my own spin on it. Fortunately DH enjoys being my guinea pig.

I have to do some grocery shopping this morning, and some housework later. Otherwise it should be a quiet day.

I hope you all have a great day!

Last edited by Cindylh; 02-17-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Cindylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #156  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Sam...loved the kick up the a$s you gave yourself! When I watch Extreme Makeover weight Loss edition I always think that if someone shouted at me like that I would just become a snotty heap of tears but sometimes we need to stop making excuses...there will ALWAYS be excuses why we didn't stick to plan..You go gorgeous girl!
Cindy...I love soup...we have a Welsh version called "cawl" that is veggies, usually chicken but it can be lamb.....all cooked for ages in stock....mmmmm. Low calorie...low fat and really cheap to do with left overs from a roast chicken!
Port...your cooking is inspirational! I may try a low carb option if I get stuck doing what I am doing now which is eat less/do more.

So I weighed myself today and have lost 14lbs in total since 11th of January. The scale hadn't moved for a week...in part due to me sabotaging myself at the weekends but also because I was rather constipated!
This is honestly not starving myself, I think it is because I go from extreme couch-potato land to moving my body every day and eating healthily. If.....no...WHEN.......I get to a certain point the weight loss will slow down I know but this loss now gives me a real boost!
We have been on a day out to a Kid's attraction an hour's drive away. The weather wasn't great...cold and damp and it was all either outside or in big barns with no heating! But we lasted about 4 hours and although my knees ached a bit they were no where near as painful as I had expected.
Tonight I am going to the theatre with Sam to see a play for children about the Second World War which he is studying in school at the moment.
I am going to a friend's house for a Chinese tomorrow night (our Bible study group voted for Chinese!)....does anybody have any ideas about what is best to eat and avoid???
Thanks chickens!
Donna
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Good morning everyone. Repeat on yesterday's weather report. It must be cold out there though as Toby just came inside and his fur is cold.

Donna -- Why is it we wait and wait to get something as necessary as underwear when getting something a little special gives us so much pleasure. Congratulations on the great weight loss since January!!!!! Sounds like you've found a sweet spot in your eating plan. In terms of Chinese -- avoid the rice and go for the veggie dishes. Also, a lot of Chinese food (or at least the Americanized version of Chinese) is meat with a coating and a sweetened sauce. So, avoid any meat that isn't sauteed or grilled plain. And avoid the rice. It is so wonderful to read about your exploits and how much you and Sam are doing. I imagine some of the weight loss comes from just being happier and it being easier to stay on plan when we're happy. Good for you.

Porthardygurl -- Love your experimenting with the new recipes and having a lot more successes than failures. I do think that people who are successful on a LCHF diet do exactly what you're doing; i.e., finding ways to create favorite foods without the carbs. Plus you're adding in gluten free.

Sam -- Good for you for catching yourself. It is so easy to fall back into our old eating habits if for no other reason that most of the foods that we ate to get us to our unhealthy weights tasted so good. I'm sure you'll succeed. You are a very determined and mindful young woman and you can do this.

Tootsie -- That is so cool that you fixed your mini. The next time that Toby gets ahold of my Kindle (he's broken 2 of them!), I may send it to you for repair. You've got a lot of skills that are very much needed in our computer driven world -- don't sell yourself short.

Calda -- Glad that you're adjusting to the cholesterol medication and are feeling better about it. It's nothing to be ashamed of, especially when you're genetically predisposed to it.

Cindy -- Isn't it wonderful when eating on plan actually tastes good. That's been a hard thing for me to do -- learn to remake recipes that are favorites or else find new favorites. Soup sounds great especially on such an icky day like we're having.

Today will be a repeat of yesterday.......work on the photo albums. I'm still trying to figure out the electrical inspection, but I'm driven now to get this project finished up so I can start learning how to weave. I need to do a better job of finding activities that require me to move a lot more as well. Hope everyone has a good day.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Tootsie When your mind is racing it's hard to sleep isn't it? been down that road girly and it's hard. I got to a point where I had to rely on benadryl to knock me out every night because that is all I could find that would work. I got to where I had to take 4 a night just to sleep. I luckily weaned myself off of that because I was worried about hurting myself taking that much and things have changed. It will be ok my friend. You have a lot on your mind right now...Just keep at it (((HUGS)).

Port Thanks for listening hun. Those recipes sound awesome!

Cal Don't be embarrassed. It's OK! I was on blood pressure medication when I was 18. I stayed on it until last year...That's 11 years my friend!!! Also, cholesterol problems run in your family...not everyone who is fat will have a cholesterol problem...people who are healthy weight and overall fit can have those issues too. Size doesn't matter so don't be embarrassed. Just take care of you and move on. You are too pretty of a person (on the inside, I don't know what you look like but I'm sure you're beautiful there too) to let something like this bother you

Cindy Thank you for the encouragement You are always so sweet. I don't usually eat bananas but something maybe I should enjoy every so often. Your dinner last night sounded great. I love a good stir fry! I had to go grocery shopping today too so I feel your pain ...Hope you had a great rest of the day though!

Donna I'm ok to give myself the stern talking to but if someone else treated me the way I treat myself in my own head when it comes to weight loss I'd be a puddle on the ground. I am so sensitive....always have been and it stinks. It's one of those things I just can't break...but I'm also on the complete opposite of the spectrum and can stand up for myself. Have I told you I'm bi-polar? LOL! Your day sounded lovely even though the weather wasn't nice. Hope you and Sam have a great time at the theatre! As far as Chinese goes...It can be so hard because of all the sodium that is usually in things. The best thing is to stay away from anything that has a sauce. Try to opt for vegetables that are steamed if you can get them. I know here they have this vegetable dish that is usually in some kind of sauce..I can't remember the name, but I'll ask for the sauce on the side and just not eat it or ask for it without it period. A lot of times if I order it on the side they understand me more than asking for it without. I'll get roast pork egg foo young too because it's basically just eggs and veggies with some pork in it. It's not the best but it's one of the better options I think. Hope it all works out!

Betsy Thank you my cheerleader!! You are always there to help pick me back up. I'm going to do this for sure. I can't stop now. I was talking to one of my company reps about it yesterday and it helped me push even more to keep going. Get those photo albums done!!! Hope the weather turns around for you!

Keepin it short and sweet tonight...I got home late from grocery shopping. Went to Sam's then Kroger (or Fred Meyer wherever you are from). Left without getting some things I needed. Felt like I was going to have a panic attack in Kroger with all of the people. It wasn't bad when I first got there but half way through the trip BOOM! The bottom dropped out with people. So I'll be hitting up the local Wal-Mart after work tomorrow to get the rest of the things I need. I did however get some flavored seltzer in cans to help with the craving of soda. DH laughed at me...he doesn't get it. He seems to think it's no better than drinking a diet soda but I think he's wrong...I don't know though. I always thought even diet soda isn't good for you because of the added colorings and fake sugars?

Feeling a lot better today. Stomach bloat is going down despite me feeling my TOM coming on any day now. Today is day 2 of being 100% OP!!! Today was my rest day since I had to do all of the errands but tomorrow I'll be back to doing TURBO!!! Feeling good working out at home this week.

Ok ladies..It's bedtime for me...Be well and have great day's tomorrow!
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:20 AM   #159  
Porthardygurl

Just popping in to say goodnight. I survived the daygoing down island. DH had a CT scan for his fractured wrist and then we spent the afternoon visiting with family. His parents took us out for lunch and let us choose the restraunt(bonus) and it was an interesting experience. I asked the waitress if all the salad dressings had sugar in them and her response was "we can give you oil and vinegar on the side" to which i replied "i cant have balsamic vinegar because of the sugar". So i found a sockeye salmon burger on the menu and asked if i could have my fish wrapped in lettuce instead of having a bun and the lady stared at me like i was crazy and then responded with "we dont do that option here". Okay... so then i asked "is it possible to just get the salmon fillet and burger fixings on a plate?" "Oh sure" replied the waitress... "Do you want anything with it like soup or fries?". "No..just the fish thanks". What i really wanted to say was "well no..your soup has gluten and your fries are full of fat and salt". But i held my tounge. She was so snotty about it. Sure enough when my fillet arrived, it arrived on a desert plate with NONE of the burger toppings(onion,tomato,lettuce,pickle,tarter sauce) I was just like...whatever...The fish itself was great and i was glad i survived the social event without blowing my diet. I survived the whole day without collapsing.. Only downfall was the calories and salt content. When you travel 4 hours down and 4 hours back..you find yourself snackyand the snacky thing i could think of thats easiest to eat is peperoni..so i did. Its just high in salt and the calories add up. I had 5 peperoni sticks at 60 cals a stick. There is a wopping 300 cals. So..my cal count was 1700 today..and sadly i cant step on the scale causei still have tom. So..i hopefully wont gain from two days of higherish calories.

Anywho...night all.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #160  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Still off the wagon yesterday. I'm thinking of starting this morning by doing my walk-before the day gets busy. I tend to eat less on workout days. I tell myself that I don't want to destroy all that work, and I'm just less hungry after working out.
tootsieroll81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #161  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Despite a wonderful session with Mike on Tuesday, I'm not doing very well—depressed, legs hurting a lot, not exercising, eating too many carbs, generally miserable. Bob and I had a bad fight yesterday. I swear, we have fought more since summer of last year than we fought in 37 years of marriage prior to that. Too much stress, that's why.

I see Mike again today. I predict the same thing will happen: he'll cheer me up a great deal, but in half a day or so, I'll be back in the dumps.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #162  

S/C/G: 338/306.8/150

Hi everyone.

Donna, congrats on the 14 lbs. down. That's wonderful. I love soup too. I make a lot of soup during the winter. I looked up cawl, and it sounds similar to a chicken and veggie soup I make sometimes. The recipe I used yesterday used ground beef, something I really have never used before in soup. It was really good but I think next time I make it I will just make it with the veggies.

Betsy, I'm always on the lookout for new recipes and have tried a lot of new things in the last few months. Some are healthier and/or better tasting than others, but since I'm home now I have more time to experiment. Weaving, huh? That sounds interesting. One craft I have never done.

Sam, glad you're feeling better and the bloat is going away. One advantage of not working right now is being able to go grocery shopping when the stores are less crowded and not having to wait until after work. I don't miss that.

Porthardygurl, congrats for getting through lunch and staying on plan. I was thinking back to when you used to snack on salted almonds. I bought myself some almonds and I never buy the salted ones. Well, this time I did, by mistake, and they are really good. I could easily overdo it with those if I'm not careful.

Tootsie, sounds like a good plan to workout first. Most of this is a mental thing so the things we tell ourselves are important.

Fi, I'm sorry to hear that you're so down. I hope your session with Mike goes well enough that you can hold onto those good feelings for a little longer time.

I did something yesterday that's a little bit out of my comfort zone. I posted on Facebook that I was trying to lose weight and wondered if anyone would be interested in joining a Facebook group where we could share our successes, recipes, things that work for us, and things that don't. You know, kind of like what we do here, without any of the anonymity. Surprisingly, I have friends that are interested, so now I'm committed to doing it. I thought of it as another way to help me stay accountable. Someone mentioned we could sync our Fitbits to encourage each other, but that's not something I want to do lol. I have never once met the goal my Firbit tells me to strive for and really, I'm not trying to. That's not where I'm at right now. We'll see how this goes.

I hope you all have a great day!
Cindylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #163  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

I don't post here very often but I have to ask ........ Is anyone else opposed to having ads, in my case for Jenny Craig, added directly to your posts? I hate it. J.C. is not the direction I, personally, would send a friend for help losing weight and prefer not to advertise them on my posts.
j-ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #164  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Default A great day!

First of all
Fi....I am so sorry that you are so down and you and Bob are arguing. It must be hard for him to see you in pain so much but taking it out on you just isn't going to help! Sigh....why do men feel like they have to fix everything?
Sam....we had a lovely day...in fact we have had a lovely few days of half term. I love Sam's company so much. The trip to the theatre was excellent. The play was about our local big town Swansea and 3 nights of relentless bombing it suffered in World War 2. It is 75 years ago this week. They had interspersed facts with human stories and it was wonderful with a big dollop of Welsh humour thrown in.Although nothing in comparison to the Blitz in places like London it was still awful.
Tootsie.....it is weird but when I exercise I have absolutely no interest in overeating. I think it is related to the fact that exercise makes me feel so much better and I eat when I am depressed or lonely so the boost I get takes those feelings away. Of course on a sad/lonely day the difficulty is motivating yourself to go to the gym but at least I understand myself better now!!
Port......I cannot imagine asking for a burger in lettuce leaves! I just don't have that level of confidence! I would rather go without. I find it hard enough to ask for (and check!) that they have used skimmed milk in Costa or Starbucks!

Today has been a huuuuuuuuge day. Drum roll please! I turned up at the Leisure Centre for the dance class to find that it had been cancelled because it was half term. I didn't have my gym key with me so I had a perfect excuse to slink off home and pretend to do housework. But I didn't!!!! I borrowed a key and did an hour's workout. I was so proud of myself! I didn't cough once,though because I am constipated at the moment (too many painkillers!) my biggest fear was letting rip! I fell this morning.....long story but my fault for wearing walking boots in the house!.....and landed right on my knees because my hands were full. But despite this I managed to do my usual work out without too many problems....although I suspect I will pay for it later. I had been putting off going back to the gym as I was waiting for my friend to come along too...honestly! What did I think was going to happen!
I hope everybody is having a great day.
We had 5 flakes of snow earlier and everybody got excited!
Take care
Donna
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #165  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

j-ann— I'm sorry to be blunt about this, but I am strongly opposed to any ads for anything on this thread. I would be so angry to have to see an ad when I'm here, I would probably have to leave the thread. And that would make me very sad, because I have found true friends here, people whose support is crucial to my continuing to lose weight. And I don't understand what you are suggesting, either. If you "hate it," as you say, why are you even considering advertising for Jenny Craig? And what did you mean by "your posts"? How could an ad be put on my postings?

Last edited by Fiona W; 02-18-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote