Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #136  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

mnemosyne - Wow, sounds like you had a great weekend! I really need to make it to the farmer's market here, but

I started belly dance because I love dancing and it is something that is lower impact, plus I know that there are a lot of larger women who do it. I lucked out and found a teacher who is amazing and has only ever been supportive even though I am by far the largest person there. Luckily I have stopped caring about that and just love to move!

Bella - Starting small is the way to go. At my highest I started by committing to 5 minutes of something once a day, which often was just marching in front of the tv. I worked up from there. It is amazing how doing a bit here and there can really improve your stamina.

I got my major items done over the weekend, but not quite as much cleaning as I had hoped, oh well. I will just have to find more energy during the week. Not tonight though. I worked out with my trainer in the afternoon and then did 15 minutes elliptical and a Zumba class tonight. I am wiped out again.

Oh, if anyone uses Fitocracy (exercise tracking website) please feel free to add me. My username is the same there as here.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #137  
Laura

Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest! Tacoma, Washington

S/C/G: 330/268/150

Height: 5'7"

Smile

Hi everyone! I'm back from my trip. Had a great time. Stayed op every day except one. Lost 2 pounds and gained 2 pounds so I'm even for the week. Not too bad considering the eating out and being away from my treadmill and pool.

Got engaged over the weekend! Yay!
Here's to being a thinner bride! Now I have even more motivation!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #138  

Mnem- Our town is super small and very rural. We have a dollar store and family dollar but not mexican or chinese restraunts. No real chain restraunt other than pizza hut. Yes we had bikers everywhere and I live about a mile from the rally. It was loud and kept alot of people awake all night with the constant roar of the bikes. I turned a fan on high and it helped to drown out the sound.

I had a good day of eating yesterday..its too hot to eat in this heat!!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #139  
the muse of memory

Bella - I hear you on the cheese. I really love it, and cannot buy my favorite hard (and semi-soft, full fat) cheeses because I will go a bit nuts. So hard to measure an appropriate serving of those things. I still buy feta and shredded cheese, but am working to wean myself from the need to put cheese on everything. And when I want to treat myself, I buy chevre - the soft goat cheese. So much flavor and much less fat. Plus it comes in much smaller packaging, which helps me too.

Nancy - I have never been particularly physically coordinated, but something about belly dancing still appeals. I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet, but I am going to look into it again in the fall, I think. We're a small enough town that the belly dancing class seemed pretty unusual. I do have an exercise video that is hula'ing for fitness. I'm terrible at isolating the muscles, but it is still pretty fun.

I should sign up for fitocracy (OR SOMETHING). Have really been slacking on exercise. Always seem to have a half-dozen other things going on. (But generally that is just an accessible excuse.

chubbygirl - hey, congrats on handling your vacation so well, and even bigger congrats on your engagement. How exciting! It's nice to come back from vacation with even more to look forward to than you had when you were leaving.

dgramie - oh dear, you have disproven my theory about small towns! Maybe the Mexican restaurants are confined to small mountain towns?

I live in a small - well, city - so we have every chain store plus some, and nice restaurants and the like. Hey, a friend even said that one of my favs was good enough to fit into the Portland food scene. Even have an Indian restaurant that is my fav place to eat. But so many of the curries have heavy cream in them, alas.

I'm glad you survived biker weekend!

I had a reasonable day yesterday & should have another one today. Am (hopefully) having someone fix a few shingles on my roof that blew up in a thunderstorm last week this afternoon and start on a few other small things around the house.

I also read that a small, non-profit farm-to-table store is opening soonish a few blocks from where I work. They'll have all organic produce, as well as local meats and cheeses, eggs and even dairy products. I'm excited about that.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #140  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

MNEM ~ your day trip sounded like a lot of fun; I googled some of the place you went to (the arches, natural bridges, Red River Gorge, the park, etc). Too funny about the retired gentlemen in the museum who can't remember how to dust; sounds like they need a ladie's touch ...

Funny thing is that dusting is sooo ez too; my DH doesn't mind doing that, but sometimes I do have to remind him. Vacuuming our rug (10' x 12') and the dusting are two housechores that DH volunteered to do to help me out (and drying the already dry dishes & putting them away).

Eating has been going well this week; sticking to plan and almost too low yesterday -- had to add a bit more today so not to have low sugar. I added a couple of cubes of cheeze. I cut mine up into small fingers and freeze them. Then I take out a couple to have for a snack; that is helping me to eat less of it too.

Very cool day today; and loved every minute of it becuz the heat is coming back tomorrow. It has been nice to have the cooler days in between. Just doing stuff around here; my beans are starting to sprout little beans. DH accidently mowed over my daylillies that I just discovered were there and now the are gone again. Will have to put up a tiny fence or I will never see them grow or bloom ...

Have a wonderful Wednesday ladies ...
Old 07-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi Everybody

Chubbygirl--Congratulations on your engagement! That is so exciting. Your vacation sounds like it was fun but even better, you were able to stay on plan. That is wonderful and deserves the applause the little guy is giving you. (I freaking LOVE smilies. ) I think it's wise to splurge a little and have a cheeseburger and a few fries one day--it doesn't make you feel bad or resentful towards yourself because you can't eat the same stuff as everyone else. I know that we all know it's only one day at a time, but that doesn't make us any easier on ourselves. You did GOOD and don't you forget it.

Just Wan--Because of my injuries, right now my BF does laundry, feeds the dogs, and does the dishes. When I say these things, I mean that he will wash and dry the clothes but not fold them--except for the towels which he folds wrong , he feeds the dogs and lets my Maxwell out and the puppies do their business on pads. They haven't quite gotten potty training down yet--but he doesn't mop right, and the dishes mean that he loads, runs and unloads the dishwasher. While he doesn't do it the way I do, I appreciate that he is doing it. We have good men and your post about your hubby helping you made me remember it.

Sorry to hear about the flowers and good luck with the beans. I would love to garden and grow my own veggies, but alas, I have what is known as a black thumb. I've killed spider plants, ivies, a cactus...I've had to give up on plants because I just feel so darned guilty.

Good work staying on plan and eating well. I am a little jealous because I am so weak sometimes.

Bella--one of the best things about being on the low carb diet was that I could eat about 5 oz. of cheese a day. Oh yeah, Vicki was a very happy girl. Now I'm doing WW and those days are kind of gone. But I'm worth the time it will take to get healthy again. You might have been over your points for the day, but you fixed that by doing time on the elliptical. That's what you are supposed to do and you had better be proud of yourself! You did GOOD, girl.

Nancy--still doing the belly dancing...hadn't you started that the last time I was here or was that someone else? Either way, I'm jealous because it looks so sexy and sinful. I think it's great that you've found something you like so much that you'll take a weekend class of it. I can't do small portions of ice cream either. At least it was only a little one and lower in sugar so that's good, like you said. Maybe, instead of buying a pint, you could buy one of those little kids cups that they sell at the convenience stores for the times when you are absolutely CRAVING ice cream? That way you're going to get your "fix" but it won't be in the house for you to overdo it with...I've actually found that I really CAN do a good job with those 100 calorie packs. I am surprised but happy.

dgramie--bike week must be awful for the locals. Good job on eating right, even if it was because it's too hot. Have I mentioned how much I don't like hot weather? *sigh* Okay--I actually don't like the humidity, and it's been so miserable up here in Massachusetts lately. I just want to cry.

mnem--another one who's trip sounded fantastic! Now was that all in one day? Or did I read that wrong?

Rosebud--you are an inspiration to me. I have arthritis in one knee and right now my back hurts. I feel so useless right now and you've given me some much needed inspiration to just do it even for only 5 minutes at a time if I can. Thank you.

So I started physical therapy today. I was in the pool and now I'm here and my whole body is sore. I don't think I expected to be as sore as I am--LOL. But I need to loosen up--apparently my back is as hard as a rock and I really have almost no flexibility anymore so it'll take time. I can even continue using the pool when my physical therapy is done! It's only $35 a month and while that is a lot, if I can use it as a springboard to get back to the gym that's a good thing. I love swimming. I've been doing EH with my eating. I have to go put my points in, but I've already drank one bottle of water since I just signed on for the 10 Day Challenge to start drinking at least 2 bottles a day. I meant the smaller bottles because I have them at home, but I'm at work and I'm almost done with one of the sports bottles which is almost 24 oz. so it's almost 3 glasses of water. If I drink another one that will be 5 glasses today and I'm happy. I've been drinking more root beer than anything else...I just LOVE the Mug Root Beer...=) Well, I'm going to go put my points in. You all have a great day and I'll try to get here tomorrow.

Vicki
Old 07-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #142  
Rosebud

Quote:
Rosebud--you are an inspiration to me. I have arthritis in one knee and right now my back hurts. I feel so useless right now and you've given me some much needed inspiration to just do it even for only 5 minutes at a time if I can. Thank you.

VICKI ~ you're quite welcome; I'm glad that by sharing my experience, it may help you and anyone else who reads about it. There were/are some days when I don't do any xtra exercise; but on the days I felt better, I would do what I could. Starting with 5 minutes of anything can help you get stronger every day; it does build up over time. Plus, 5 minutes 3-4 times a day = 15/20 minutes a day. When you need to rest, rest; but when you feel like doing a bit of something, do it.

ALTHOUGH, I have to say that standing on your feet all day cooking is quite a bit of exercise in itself, so I wouldn't feel guilty at all if I were you. By the time I got home, I didn't want or need to do anymore exercise. I remember how my back and feet felt after a long day of cooking or waitressing -- yikes, my feet would be so swollen and throbbing. I would come home and soak them; but sometimes I even cried myself to sleep. Then, my Mother told me of a trick to buy two pairs of shoes; one size bigger than the other. Just after lunch, I would change into the larger size; it was such a huge relief. Later on, after injuring my shoulder, my doctor said "enuff is enuff of that" -- and that ended my cooking career (not that I'm complaining).

Glad you are enjoying the swimming. My eating has been better this week; but sometimes I really have to ignore those nagging hunger pangs (like this afternoon), but we had a nice creamy chicken-veggie fettucini dinner tonight (very filling). I have found a lot of nice homemade meals that fill me up; and by making them lower calorie, I can have them and still keep within my calorie allotment for the day.

Today, I had an eggwich (an egg on wg tst/chz/ketchup) + coffee for breakfast; a veggie pita pizza for lunch; and the fettucini for dinner. I eat things I love, so I think that is why I am able to stick to my plan so well. I had a homemade fiber muffin for a snack with a lowcal HM cocoa; and a half piece of chz so far. I still have lots of cals left for an apple & chz for a snack tonight. I'm still under a bit right now. I often have a fruit in the morning as well, like an orange or banana, but some days I forget.

Hope you all have a terrifically OP Thursday tomorrow; just do the best you can ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 07-25-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #143  
the muse of memory

Vicki - oh, yes. That was a one-day trip. Left at around 9:30ish a.m. and got home after 10:00 p.m. Vacation without having to pay for a hotel room.

Hey, congrats on starting PT. It's great that you will have access to the pool after it is over, too. I love swimming as well! I hope that the PT gets easier and starts helping you with pain and mobility.

Rosebud - I never thought about freezing cheese. That makes alot of sense. I expect it wouldn't work as well for softer cheeses, but I am going to try it the next time I get an urge for manchego and see if I can use that method to make it work.

And heh, yes. Dusting is not hard (though harder when you would rather be sitting on the porch of your little museum talking with your buddies than inside learning how to use a Swiffer duster!) and it really does make a difference.

(Also: I love pita pizzas. Yum!)

I got a good bit accomplished in the last few days, and eating has gone well. This weekend, alas, no mini-trips! And a few challenges. I'm going to be house-sitting for my folks for the next two weeks (and more specifically, taking care of their golden retriever). He cannot come to my house because my cat will have anxiety-induced asthma attacks if a dog shows up, so I must go there. The thing is that my folks always have chips, ice cream, and chocolate. I can resist the chocolate bars okay, but the chips and the ice cream are harder for me. That is why I don't buy them!

It is supposed to be hot-hot-hot here today, with really bad storms tonight. We also had really bad storms on Tuesday, wind strong enough that it knocked my huge pot of mandevilla off the porch and so on. We have had pretty regular rain for the last several weeks, so I have not had to water outside except on the porch for a while. However, rain means damp means fungus, and my tomatoes (some of them) have yellow-spot disease while I think one of the melons has some powdery mildew.

Still, I have been getting some little tomatoes and plenty of cucumbers. Also, my first eggplant, which I combined with some other veg to make roast vegetables. I think I am going to make roasted vegetable enchiladas with some left-over verde sauce tonight or tomorrow night.

I went to the new farm-to-table market yesterday. Really I didn't need any produce, though I did buy a few things. They didn't have any cheese yet (I was hoping for some of the mozzerella from Snowville Creamery), but they had a good bit of meat and even organic local tofu, as well as organic local tofu-soysage (hah!), 'burgers' and 'meatballs.' I use those things a fair amount. These were a bit more expensive than the frozen, mass-produced ones, but not much. I made a few of the tofu-balls along with my dinner last night and they were really tasty. I know they didn't taste like meatballs, but they were really well-spiced, with a good texture and a great flavor.

We don't have shops like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods around here, so the access to smaller, local brands is really lovely and pleasing.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #144  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I've been lurking and decided I just need to come out and say "hi!"

Reading what you ladies have done, the ups, the downs, the journeys, the setbacks, the accomplishments, all of it...it is truly inspirational.

I've been dieting for a week now...well, doing a doctor monitored diet for a week now, I was dieting before with no luck. Tomorrow is my first official weigh in, but this first week, I can already tell a difference in my energy levels, my feet are not swollen, and my husband says I am not snoring as much. Gotta love him.

I never pictured myself this big. Still, to this day can't believe I allowed myself to get in this shape, but here I am, living breathing proof that I let myself down. But it is okay. I plan to pick myself back up. I may not ever get to the point I was when I was at my healthiest, but at least it isn't here, and that is all that matters
Old 07-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #145  
Laura

zoesmom

Hi all, hope everyone is well. I'm good. Been staying op and I stepped up the workouts this week. Today I worked out 3 hours and burned almost 2000 calories according to myfitnesspal.com. I'm so proud of myself! Yay me!

I was motivated to lose the weight before I got engaged last weekend but now even more so! I did the math... I need to lose 12 lbs a month every month consistently until the wedding. If I do I will hit my goal and be a super sexy bride!
Old 07-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #146  

Hello everychick
Im new to the forum, stambled on it by accident and after reading on it for a day i liked the community figured i'd drop in to share my troubles.

Ive been dieting for about 6 months now (started 330lbs) and lost quite a bit (current weight 272lbs). I have known for some time now that i have insulin resistance which complicates things a bit. Currently im struggling to focus on my goal, a healthy weight, and feel like all the effort ive done is just worthless. I follow a strict diet and exercise about 3-4 times week and i still feel discouraged and depressed like im just not getting anywhere. I feel like if eat an extra fruit or have a coffee with no sugar or have a slice of bread that ive let myself down. No matter what i do i feel like ive disapointed myself.

keylla

Last edited by Keylla; 07-27-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi Keylla

I know what you mean about feeling like you've disappointed yourself. You're trying for and "A" and what you is a "B". Meaning that like in school you've been trying and trying and you got a "B" instead of an "A". Now you KNOW that "B" is a passing grade, but you being a perfectionist, you aren't happy unless you get that "A". You need to stop and realize that losing weight--especially the amounts that we have to--is going to take time. =( I know, I want it off today too, but it didn't come on in one day and it won't come off. We need to give ourselves that extra piece of fruit or bread once in a while just so we don't feel resentful of ourselves and hate ourselves even more because we really cannot eat like other people. Just remember: You CAN do this! You CAN do this!You CAN do this! Now I have faith in you and I know--really I do--how hard it is to love yourself when you feel like you've screwed up...again! Because isn't that what we say..."I screwed up again!" When you feel that way, you get your butt to 3FC and we'll set you straight. You are a human being and you're bound to make mistakes...but that's okay--you just get right back up, brush yourself off and start moving again. I think it's awesome that you've lost 58 lbs! I am so jealous of that--and I am NOT lying or trying to make you feel better. You are on the path and doing it the right way by losing approximately 2-3 lbs. a week. You will keep it off that way. Focus on that. You are getting healthier every single day...
Old 07-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #148  
Laura

Thumbs up checking in for accountability

Hi y'all. I lost 2 more lbs! Yay! That made it totally worth waiting for since I should have weighed yesterday and didn't get to. I weigh on Sundays and Thursdays. So being as how I weigh again in 2 days I might not lose a lot before that but I'm still hoping like heck I can drop 1 more pound. I really want to meet my goal of 3 lbs loss per week. (If I drop 3 lbs every single week I will be at goal on my wedding day next summer. I can do it!)

Since joining the Y I have been working out a lot! I feel like I'm on biggest loser or something! Tuesday I started slow and worked out for an hour, Wed I worked out for 2 hrs, Thursday I worked out for 3 hrs, and today I've done 2.5 so far but I have a short hike with Mom scheduled for after dinner so that will make it 3 again! I'm so proud of myself!

Been staying on plan. I luv WW. So much variety.
So I'm down 14 lbs since I started and I'm only 4 lbs away from my 1st mini-goal. Can't wait!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #149  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the welcome Chubbygirl253....and huzzah on the 2 pounds!

Today, I did my first official weigh in and have dropped 9.6 pounds...yippie! And I am super proud of myself. I didn't go to the gym today (I know, I know) but I did take my daughter to Monkey Joe's and they had a bike machine there that I hit. Afterwards, we had to find her a place to eat. That caused a bit of an upset with my husband. He is super supportive, but doesn't understand the concept of emotional eating and that I am not ready to be faced with a fast food menu and push aside temptation and only order the salad. I threw out a few options in which I knew I could manage and he vetoed them all and went to Wendy's, mentioning they have baked potatoes and salads. EEK! So, I opted to stay in the car to avoid temptation, starving may I be. I was a good 5 hours out since my last shake and my god was I feeling rough. He got upset with me for being over dramatic and stormed in so he and the girl could eat. He'll get over it. Once he cools down I will explain why I made my choice. But you know what! I defeated temptation by staying in the car and I had my 4 oz of lean meat and my green and I survived! YEAH for the small steps!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #150  
Rosebud

KEYLLA ~ couldn't have said it better than VICKI did there. 58 lbs is nothing to sneeze at; that's a huge accomplishment! We have to watch that desire to overdo it; trying to lose too fast by not eating enuff -- that can stall WL. Even over-exercising can do the same. Slow and steady wins the race, and it stays off longer that way too.

ZOE'S MOM ~ glad you decided to join us too; good for you for sticking to your guns. Hopefully in time your Dh will see that you can eat healthy and they can still have their choices too. You are showing your daughter just how much being healthier means to you too.

CHUBBYGIRL ~ congrats on 2 more lbs down; I can feel your enthusiasm and glad you are doing things you enjoy -- it will be easier to stick to.

MNEM ~ yes, I have been freezing cheese for many years; I freeze both the cheddar and the mozzarella. I cut them up into sticks first (about 3/4" wide x 2" long), then when I want some for a snack or a pita pizza, I take them out and put them in the fridge to thaw (often the night before).

VICKI ~ you'll get that weight off again too; be kind to yourself -- you work very hard and your injuries need to heal as well ...

Eating went well this week; I did have a few times where I felt hungrier than usual, but I pushed through them, sometimes just having some chz or a drink to stave the pangs off a bit -- and it worked too. Today is my monthly flex day: had some popcorn but my meals are still on track.

We've had nice weather: been spoiled the last few days; got lots of walking in on Wednesday while doing shopping and errands. Just taking it ez at home this weekend; it is expected to be a bit hotter here. Hope you all have a good one too ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 07-27-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Closed Thread