Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:51 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

WOOHOO 2.75 lbs down this week. I am happy, I am healthier and I have a great life - and I love Tuesdays.

RK - all I saw in the pic was someone who needs smaller jeans. Waaaaaay too much room in those babies.

Nancy - love the new pic - what a change!

More later - have a great evening.

Carol
Old 10-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #47  
~Carrie~

S/C/G: 318/t/130

Height: 5'4"

tonight was a so so night. I didn't exercise and i kinda ate alot. all the snacks were 100 calorie packs (except the bagel w/cream cheese) i only had like 3 or four bags. I wasn't so bad at dinner but still a little bad. I don't know what is wrong with me i have like no will power.
I had to work with a lady i don't get along with at work today. That was great fun.
other than that today was okay
Old 10-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #48  

Midnight,

I hear ya on having to work with someone you aren't happy with.. I seemed to be around a bunch of angry people today. I tried not to let it mess with my head when they vented to me. I almost didn't exercise cuz I was so affected by it all, but made myself go. Yay me! I know I'm mentally in a better place because of it.

Hang in there!

Luv,
Rat
Old 10-16-2007, 10:17 PM   #49  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Hey everyone!

I finished my paper this morning just in time and I think I did fairly well on it. I'm popping in to ask any of you crafty ladies out there for advice. I'm going with the boyfriend to Boston for Thanksgiving to see his family and I want to get his parents a gift (to thank them for their hospitality and such). Since his parents are both artists and his mother loves arts and crafts and specifically asked Jed to ask me if I did any, I was thinking that it might be nice to needlepoint/cross-stitch something for them... I'm not really sure what the differences are between the two and I was looking to buy a kit, but there are so many different types I don't know where to start! What's the difference between stamped and counted? I want something as foolproof as possible, considering I'm quite crafty but haven't ever tried my hand at this in particular before. I only have a month to do it in, so I'm not sure as to what size to go with. Any advice you could offer would be much appreciated!!! Also, if there are any companies that make kits that are easier to deal with or whatever, I'd love some suggestions!

Thanks again!
Old 10-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Lindsay, I used to cross stitch all the time and its very intricate work and it takes tons of time, and you don't get very far very fast....so with that said, here's some info. Counted cross stitch is where you count each little square, and make a little "x" of a certain color goes in each square. Stamped is where the picture is already stamped on the cloth already, and you just do some fill in work. I've never done the stamped, so that's about all I know about it, but I've done lots of the counted. If you really want to do something like this, maybe do a very small one. Maybe some flowers, or maybe even get some hand towels that you can cross stitch on them. I hope this helped some.
If you have a Micha*l's around you, they have all kinds of kits.
Debbie
Old 10-16-2007, 10:51 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 351/ticker/175

Brandnewme, Great news on getting a better doc and even better that she is treating you with respect and interest. Hopefully she will get everything straightened out to where you will feel better and better all the time.

Luan, on the 5 lbs gone forever!!

Ratkity, Ha!! Those pants look like the ones I have on right now!!! Now it makes me want to throw them away!! LOL

Sharon, I'm having the same kinda day. Stuffing my face with everything bad. O how I hate TOM, it's all his fault for making me crazy!!

Donna, YaY!! for you getting all those punches in. I still don't understand what it is...but it sounds like fun. We are planning on getting the Wii this winter and I want to get the dance dance revolution..I was wondering if there is a weight limit on it...anyone know?

Catherine, I second that emotion...don't mess with us fat women...especially those of us PMSin'!!!

Peggy, on the great NSV...that sometimes is worth more than anything just for the recognition of all your hard work.

TFFU, feel better...ok?

Valerie, I was wondering what happened to you. Hope you get the puter fixed. How's your favorite horse doing?

Nancy, love the new avatar. You're looking better and better all the time. Yep, still am struggling with exercise and even food today. I gotta get back in control..but hormones abound!!!

Ayah, sounds like you are getting yourself in control with cutting back on the soda and going to the gym. Just take baby steps, and don't get overwhelmed with trying to do too much too fast....o and

Annie, we are having downpours today so no yard work once again. Glad you got yours done though..I bet they look so nice. I'm envious!!!!

Battleax, I'm with you on doing only 5 days. But lately I can't even get that going for me. What's your secret? What makes you actually get up and get moving? I haven't found anything to make me want to get up and move.

gggirls, on the lbs gone forever!!!

Soggy and wet out there tonight and I'm just sitting here thinking about what I can eat. So I got on here hoping it will help squelch the urge.
Hope to do better tomorrow...again.
Debbie
Old 10-16-2007, 10:56 PM   #52  

Just a quickie before I run off to bed...

Deb, I have DDR (dance dance revolution) for the xbox. No weight limit and I do it barefoot! I would recommend better floor pads than the one that comes with it. The best prices are at Newegg.com, but dunno if they sell pads for the wii yet. My little sis and I love DDR. We are going to get everyone hooked on it during thanksgiving week at the beach.

Hugs and Luv!
Ratkity
Old 10-17-2007, 12:23 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Lindsey: I am very particular about what I display in my home. I'm not a tchatske or a country-crafty person, and I have a simple, but carefully created decor. When someone gives me something meant for display, I am alternately delighted and uncomfortable, because I feel obligated to display something not of my choice, and most likely not matching my decor. I like my environment just the way it is. If the parents are artists, they may feel similarly about their home aesthetic.

Also, it's not necessary to go through as much trouble as a needlepoint would entail, especially as you are a crazy-busy student. They will understand this. A bunch of flowers, or some baked goods, or a nice bottle of wine, are really all that's needed.

GGirls: congrats on the weight loss!

Debbie: I hope your urge to eat has passed.

What gets me out of bed in the morning to exercise is that I really, truly cannot function when I'm not getting regular exercise. I can't think clearly, I can't do my job, I have no fun, I pack on the pounds like you wouldn't believe. It's amazing how much benefit a little bit of regular exercise has for me. Just like the eating plan, it's a commitment. Some days are easier than others.

Rat: Good job on following through with exercising today.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:50 AM   #54  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Battle, the only reason I considered doing something like this is because Jed's mother has done TONS of stuff like that for his apartment, like latch hook rugs and even knits him strange sweaters... which I don't want to get into... haha. I figured that since she does lots of that stuff for him that she probably has a lot of that kind of stuff as well, but maybe you're right. The only problem is that I really cannot think of another gift to get them. I can't get them wine because I'm under 21, I can't give them flowers or baked goods because we'll be flying to Boston and they're picking us up from the airport... so I don't know. I ran the cross-stitch idea by Jed (I found a mini kit for a picture of a panda with some bamboo, which is her favorite animal) and he seemed to think that she would love something like that, but then again he could be wrong... *sigh*. I know it's not necessary to do something that is so time consuming, but I really want to show that thought went into the gift and I didn't just run out to the store at the last minute and grabbed some generic host gift. I have a feeling that his mother's opinion of me may be VERY important, considering that she still calls him 2 or 3 times a day. I guess what it boils down to is that I *really* want for his parents to like me. In the past, I've had some very bad experiences with people's parents... usually because either they're very religious and I'm not or because they feel I'm taking their son away or something... and I really don't want that stress all over again. I dealt with parents hating me in my last relationship for a year and a half and cried countless times because of hateful, inconsiderate things that were said about me by his family, so I guess I'm in super-defense mode this time to try and do everything in my power to be liked...
Old 10-17-2007, 01:31 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

Lindsey, Jewish mothers generally are very important in a Jewish man's life, trust me! I remember well meeting my college boyfriend's parents and the scrutiny I received (I am also Jewish, but was not good enough for reasons I won't get into for the sake of brevity). The mother actually had the nerve to call my father and tell him how lucky I was to have a prize like her son give someone like me the time of day! OMG she had no idea who she was dealing with when she called my father LOL. It was something!

That being said don't try too hard. Just be yourself. It is better to be genuine and let them take you as the lovely person you are. Maybe the other chickies will have some suggestions on the hostess gift. It sounds like they would appreciate the crafty gift. But, in any case, try to relax, ok? Hugs!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:53 AM   #56  

Lindsey,

I echo the things Deb said about any project in needlepoint or xstitch. They are time consuming, but lots of fun! Instead of doing the kit, perhaps buying a book of patterns for his mom? Then she can pick!!

As far as jewish mamas, listen to Battle and be yourself

Hugs to you!

Luv,
Ratkity
Old 10-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #57  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

lindsey ~ if you think she would like the panda alot, why not do it for a christmas gift and just keep the hostess thing simple?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 380/Ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning!

Lindsey: I will let you in on an embarrassing secret...I have a stamped baby blanket w/Eeyore on it that I bought last December to crossstitch for my Great Nephew...he was born May 18th, and the running joke was that it was supposed to be done by the shower, then the birth, then the Christening...which was 2 weeks ago!!! Now maybe it will be done for Christmas...but I am really thinking maybe when he Graduates HS!!!
It is very easy to do but SOOOOOOOOOOOO time consuming. And as Battle said, Jewish Mama's are a breed of their own, and if you just be yourself, they will love you. ( I just hope I am not too bad when my sons find thier special someone!!)

RK & Debbie: We managed to get a Wii this summer in Pennsylvania since it is VERY scarce here in NY. Just walked into Walmart and there it was!!! It is really alot of fun and I am looking to get DDR for Christmas. We have had so many "dance mats" and I love to watch Andrew and Sammi do it together...it's a hoot!!

Ayah: This is a great place to be!!

Ok, since you guys think I am nutz and don't know anything about "Slammy" I have attached 2 pics so you can see what I am talking about. And no, the guy is not my DH!!

Have a Great Day!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0079399300646_AV_500X500.jpg (14.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 0079399300646_500X500.jpg (27.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-17-2007, 09:08 AM   #59  

Height: 5'6"

Oh Lindsey....meeting the "rents". So nerve wracking! Just be yourself and have a good time. You have no control over whether they like you or not...so don't stress out over it.

As far as a gift for the mom goes... I make homemade soaps and I used to take two bars and put them on a nice wood soap drying rack that my hubby would make and tie it up with a raffia bow and put it in a pretty gift bag. You could find out what scents she likes and do something like that. That is something she would use and everyone *loved* them when I showed up with them. I love lavender soap with bits of the flower in it myself. Another one I would make that went over well was pinkgrapefruit with peppermint essential oils. I *so* need to take a day and make some soap! Another idea that is simple, but nice is to find some nice potpouri and put it in a nice jelly jar (like a mason jar) whose lid has the removeable middle peice. Then take a nice piece of lace (cut in a circle - you can buy these pre-cut actually) over the jar opening and thenscrew the jar top on. Then wrap a pretty ribbon or raffia around the neck of the jar and its a nice little item to put in the powder room, etc. You can find out what colors she might have there and coordinate it to fit. If she likes to bake...you can make up a cookie making kit. You could also make some herb infused oil and put that in a decorative bottle, leaving the fresh herbs in there. I do that alot and it goes over well. It is a nice gift and something people wouldn't normally get for themselves.

Just some thoughts for ya!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #60  
Trying Intuitive Eating

S/C/G: 430/ticker/138

Height: 5'5.5

Lindsey...how exciting (and nervewracking!) to be offered an opportunity to "Meet the Parents". I'm with Battle on keeping the gift simple and more traditional. Decorative items, particularly handmade ones, are very personal and I think better left to when you know the family a little more and have shared more time with them.

Since it will be a holiday, a small basket of unique and tasty food items might be nice? Special crackers, real maple syrup for morning pancakes, jams, one of those "cookies in a jar" dry ingredient gifts with instructions, teas, coffees, ciders, cocoas etc. You could add a couple of mugs with logos from your school to make it uniquely from you. Not a dream to pack for flight, but doable and an appropriate gift for the whole family and not just mom.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be great!

Nancy, your new avatar is really nice. You SHOULD be feeling pretty!

Congrats on the 2.75 down gggirls...yay!

Hi ya to everybody else.
Closed Thread