Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:34 AM   #106  

Smile Morning!

Hello ladies, it is still morning, barely.

I have been doing one of the things I have put off ever since my Mom went into the nursing home. I think I have finally excepted she will never be able to leave there. That is a hard one! I went back to her rooms and packed away all of her hanging clothes. Mostly suits, dresses and such. Things she won't be wearing in the home. It was a depressing job. Maybe it is better to do it now than later, who knows.

Excepting that she won't be living here anymore has made me try to plan what I will do with her rooms now. We had her set up in a bedroom, sitting room and bath, like an MIL apt. but with no kitchen. The biggest room could be the game room it was meant to be, but we don't play pool. I could always turn it into a gym.... Yeah right. Have I mentioned lately that i hate exercise?

I also cleaned up my pantry this morning, that place can get so disorganized. I am going to blame that on DH. LOL! I wouldn't dream of being so messy.

Other than those few measley things, that is my day so far. How is yours going. boy, I am glad I don't have a nine to five anymore. Feel for all of you working women, honest I do.

Take it easy, Later, Ruth
Old 06-28-2007, 12:29 AM   #107  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Today I spent 2 hours talking to a graduate student who wanted to appeal a grade that someone else gave her. She wanted my advice. It took me two hours but I talked her out of pursuing it. WHEN DID I GET ELECTED TO CLEAN UP OTHER PEOPLE'S MESSES?

Class is keeping me busy. Today I didn't get more than 10 token minutes of exercise and didn't eat the dinner that I'd planned to eat--although I'm still OP for the day. Sometimes I just feel doing everything I need and want to do is impossible.

Karen--Glad the scale is moving downward. What are you doing about those blues?

Terri, Lilion--Hang in there!

Ruth--I so sympathize. Big hugs.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:46 AM   #108  

Smile Good morning!

Well Gee, ladies where are all of you now that I came back? Was it something I said?

Angela, thanks for the cyber hug. Those still feel good.

Terri, ? I am used to reading your post first thing every morning.

Lilion, busy lady, take time to smell the roses. How is the garden coming along? ( leave those snackies alone! )

Breathless, good for you. I wish my scale would move downward instead of up and down

Hi sparkles and luja, hope you are having a good day.

Don't you ladies think we need a new thread? Wish I knew how to start one, but I don't.

I don't have any big plans for today other than baking a cake for the city. They are having the "BIG" festival this week and want all of the women to bake a cake for a cakewalk. What fun. We will see how that turns out. LOL! I don't think I would want to eat some of them. Small town, know too much about everyone.

Ok, I have done my bit for this thread Read you soon? Take care, Ruth
Old 06-28-2007, 10:13 AM   #109  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

THURSDAY! Only one more day until the weekend! Well, my weekend is more like and But it's better than and and

Ruth: It really must be hard, to think about your mom not coming home. Knowing she's lived an amazingly long life doesn't help... But I think you are doing the right thing by changing her rooms now. Waiting will only make it harder. Wish I could help. They still have cakewalks with homemade cakes in your town? That's wonderful! Where I grew up they always did that at school for carnivale...but where I am now you don't even take homemade cookies and stuff to your kids school for their birthdays! Everything in "original packaging" so they know you didn't poison it or something. And I'm in a pretty small town...What a world we live in, huh? As for the snacks...Captian Crunch at 10 p.m. It was that or Stress does bad things to me!

Angela: Other People's Messes!?! Welcome to my life! At least it sounded like your's listened to you... I understand completely the "overwhelmed" feeling that you can't possibly get everything done that you need to...that's my June each year...with parts of May and July thrown in!

Terri Are you getting soaked too? Hope it's cleared up and your pool is perfect!

Breathless! It was good to see your post! Hope all is well and on the continuing losses!

Luga: I can't even imagine trying to learn a new language at my age...other than maybe Spanish. I had two years of college Spanish, got A's! and at best I can order a beer, say "I speak no Spanish, please help me." and say "I don't want to dance with you!" - I thought those would cover most situations.

I really need to run now...but I'll try to get back tomorrow - FRIDAY before I start my long weekend in the Middle Ages!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi gals,

This just has not been a great week for getting up early and being with it. It has been raining for three days now and all I want to do is sleep in in the morning.

Since I can't do much outside, I've been working on getting things organized (again and again) after the disruption of having the house painted. My home office area has been a disaster. I'm sorting out things I need to get on Ebay. This includes books, craft magazines, horse tack, golf supplies, electronic stuff - anything that we haven't used and too good to throw away. Some will go to Goodwill.

Our garden is going great. I must get all the weeds gone this weekend. Anyone know how to kill out johnson grass? Hate that stuff. I read in Cooking Light a good tip. One of those "DUH" tips but still I never thought of it. I've put two trash cans at the side of the barn to collect rainwater. Then I use that water to water the plants on the front deck and the the new landscaping. Saves on the water bill and it counts as exercise as I carry the buckets of water.

I'll catch up later on personals. Yes, I know I've said that earlier this week but I really will today!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #111  
aka Karen

S/C/G: 299/293.5/175

Height: 5'6"

Thanks Lilion for noticing! I appreciate it and hope your weekend goes better than expected.

Vortex, this student probably values your opinion and needed some neutral advice from someone who may know better than they do. Be proud! As for my "blues", they come and go, just like everyone, I guess. Just wait fo them to pass, I'm sure it had something to do with TOM, as it arrived 2 days ago...yippee!

Did a lot of walking at the Flea Market today. For those of you who don't know, I buy things at garage sales, flea markets and yard sales and resell them eBay. Dealing mostly in vintage toys, dolls, odd and unusal things. I left my job (yes, a good paying one, but the hours were ****) of over 20 years to do this and have been doing it for about 4 years now. I don't want to jinx myself, but I would say it is a successful business. Let's just say I make a living anyway and the hours are probably more than I put in at my old job, BUT, when you like what you are doing, it doesn't matter! I wish I had done it sooner. I hated that job. Geez, look at me going on and on...sorry!

Hope everyone has an OP weekend! Thanks for listening to my mindless babble!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #112  
aka Karen

S/C/G: 299/293.5/175

Height: 5'6"

What is a cake walk?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #113  

Smile cake walk

Karen, You get a bunch of cakes and then sell tickets for the walk around on numbers. Kind of like musical chairs. The person that stops on the number on the cake gets the cake. See? Well, I really made that clear didn't I? LOL! There is music to walk by, and then it stops. Like I said like musical chairs.

I was an ebayer for a couple of years. I don't think I could have made a living at it, but I did enjoy it. The most I made at one time was 350.00 for a beer glass. Amazing what people collect. It is so much fun to watch the bidding climb, right?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 319/ticker/190

Hello, all!
I guess I'm new in this town. I've been looking for a thread where I could feel at home, and I think I've found it!

I'm afraid I don't know anybody as yet, so I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Susan, I live around Boston, I'm a librarian, which I have been doing for ((shudder)) 21 years now. I'm at my highest weight in my life, so I've joined up to get it back under control.

I've been browsing through the threads here, and I see we seem to have the same issues, particularly career/parental/kids issues. I've never been in a forum before where the life issues are so close to home!

Anyways, I just wanted to say hello, and I'll be by for later chinwags.

Susan
Old 06-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #115  

Susan! We are a slow, but dedicated bunch! Don't dispair when the thread ends with your post - especially if you post later in the day...we love newcomers! (We just don't always have a ton to say! )
Old 06-29-2007, 12:06 AM   #116  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default Exercise in July!

Hi All -- I just wanted to announce that I started the July exercise thread! We are doing so well as a group -- we are over halfway to our goal of 200,000 minutes for the year! But we could still use help -- the holidays and cold weather seem to make the last 2 months of the year a dead zone for exercise.

So, if you want some additional motivation to exercise, please join us! You don't have to set a goal, though many of us like to.

Help us get to 200,000 minutes and get fitter and build good habits in the meantime!!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:06 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Welcome, Susan! I grew up in the Boston area!
Old 06-29-2007, 07:04 AM   #118  

Smile Friday!

Good morning ladies, Yay, It is Friday! That is for all you working people. Fridays don't mean a lot to me other than another day. LOL! I can remember when it did though.

We still have not had rain in this part of Ga. It has been forever since we had a good soaker. Our garden is drying up. Only a few tomatoes are bearing now. Terri, that is such a good idea to catch the rain water to use. My Mom always did that for her flower beds. Of course you have to have rain in order to catch it, right? I feel sorry for the farmers and fruit growers in our area. We have pecan trees and they won't bear this year either. Two of our old trees blew down a couple of years ago and they had the best pecans, naturally. I sure do miss seeing them in my yard. They were hugh! I am thankful they missed my house when they fell.

I am still trying to eat more veggie than meat. I have read up on gout and meat seems to be an enemy to people who suffer from gout. I am not sure I had gout, but it won't hurt me to do more veggie anyway.

Susan, welcome to our hen house. I think You will find a lot of support from these ladies. The one thing I like best about this site is the fact that no one causes a lot of controversy over every little thing someone says. Or the fact that some of us can't spell worth a hoot or punctuate. (that would be me) I am horrified when I go back and read some of my post! LOL! It is ok though.

I made my DH a pudding pound cake yesterday and didn't eat a bite of it! It smelled soooo good. He loves sweets. The bad part is that I pass it every time I go through the kitchen. It is just sitting there in the cake plate waiting for me to weaken! Will I be strong?

Time for me to hit the shower and see what I am going to do today. I have already ironed some clothes this morning. Yeah, I know it is just 7 o'clock. I am an early riser though. I have always loved early mornings. Too bad the bugs also love morning as well. I haven't been able to enjoy my patio or breezeway this year. The bugs would have more coffee and than I would and part of my blood!

Have a terrific weekend. Ruth
Old 06-29-2007, 07:43 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Morning ladies,

Wow Ruth, you're up and about early. Not much happening around here but it is STILL raining. DH and the dogs are getting a little stir crazy during the day. I worked in the garden last night even though there was a light rain because I became possesses about the weeds taking over. When its wet, that is the best time to be able to get them out by the roots. I figure that was a good 45 minutes that I worked. We have lots of little bitty cukes. Looks like pickles.

Susan - Welcome to the group! We're here to help and encourage and whine and moan and cheer and cry. Sometimes we do get a little quiet but we're still around and kickin'.

Ruth - I haven't done a cake walk since I was a kid. What fun! We've been trying to start threads on a Monday and I forgot this week. It is great to see you posting again. I am so sorry that your mom won't be coming home again. It can be very hard to accept. Take care of that foot.

Angela - Two hours to convince that grad student???? Good for you for helping and be a good advisor. Hey, the token 10 minutes of exercise is better than none. I hear ya on the impossibility of getting everything done.

KarenNJ - Great to see your posts too. Good for you for gettin out of a job that you hated and finding something you enjoy. Also, even though you've had the blues, good job for keeping that scale from going up.

Lilion - Last weekend was Renfest, so what is this weekend? Is it all weekend? Rain or shine? No, :swim2: this week. That dang water is going to be cold too. We have had so much rain, we are going to have to drain some of the water off.

Luja - How did your meetings go? Portuguese?! Wow, how fun. I can barely do English some days let alone another language. Keep working at busting that plateau. Those can be so frustrating and it is so easy to just quit when they happen.

I better get going. I have to be at work before 8:00 am to be on a conference call because my boss is out of town. Which means I am leaving at 6:45 because of traffic and the rain.

to all and HAPPY FRIDAY!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #120  

Good Morning Ladies!

Quickie today while I wait for a guy to show for his hearing.

Terri, Still raining here too! Bet it's raining at the lake as well. This weekend my Adrian Empire group (medieval reinactment to those who don't know) is doing a weekend long demo at a 4-H camp. It's a special camp for children of servicemen and women serving in the Middle East. The theme is "Medieval Life" and thus, our contribution. We'll have archery and fighting demos (sword and shield) and cooking, weaving, etc. as well as a "period" encampment. That means, unfortunately, that I'll be putting up my 18'x13' medieval pavilion in the MUD thanks to all the rain! Of course, the tent is white and I just scrubbed the mud out of the walls from the last time we used it! You know, I own an actual rain barrel (with a faucet at the bottom) and I've thought about taking some of the guttering loose and running it into the barrel for plant watering...but haven't gotten it done yet.

Ruth, You are the busy bee! Mornings are NOT my friend. You should grow misquito plant and citronella on your patio! It would be a pity not to use it in the cool mornings. I'm one to talk though, I haven't been on mine much either.

That time - got to run!
Closed Thread