Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #91  

Hi all ---

Angela - I hope your mother is doing ok and has a speedy recovery. Remember to take care of YOU, too!

Ok Lilion - where did you get the flattering swimsuit? I didn't think there was any such thing! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Oh you people with horses - it's bringing back all of my "I wish I had a horse" longings from when I was a kid. I spent my entire childhood trying to convince my grandpa to let me have a horse on his farm. He had farmed with horses when he as young and wasn't having them again. Sigh. Maybe riding lessons should be my reward for losing weight. I LOVE horses and riding. I did find myself a boyfriend in HS who had horses and my hubby can ride because he worked on a cattle ranch when he was young, so......we COULD do it. I'd have to get an old plodding nag though

Terri - isn't fun to eat stuff from your own garden? We are in between things at the moment. Most of the spring crops are gone and we are waiting for the summer stuff like tomatoes to get going. The Farmer's Market is a great stop gap.

COngrats to all of you who are staying on plan and exercising, and to those of you who have lost weight.

Let's see - the sanding and prep work (which includes replacing rotten wood ) is coming a long. The weather hasn't been the most cooperative, although to day looks to be a good work day.

My friend convinced me creeping thyme was a great replacement for grass. So I ripped up my boulevard's grass and planted some. She forgot to tell me that it takes a LONG time to get established and you need TONS of it. So my boulevard looks HORRIBLE. A neighbor walked by looked at it (it's gotten very weedy) and said in that sardonic midwestern fashion - What DID you plant there. Yeah, I don't want to talk about it. Anyway, I was tipped off on this hidden little garden place run by the old guy that is amazing. I got a nice selection of perennials and annuals for a really good price, so I am going to try to repair the damage.

A new fancy salon also moved in two blocks from me - which excited me. My neighborhood needs all the help it can get. So I went this morning and got the best haircut I've had in years. So now I am even happier since whenever I want trot over there for a free bang trim.

Other than that is baseball all the time around here. My eldest son jumped into a league in the middle of the season, so now there are three leagues to haul people around to.

As far as the diet goes - OP as far as food. I bought new Kathy Smith videos from her Project You set to shake things up a bit. I like these - they are more like the old Kathy Smith before she went throught that manic phase.

I hope you are all having a glorious day!! I'm off to play in the dirt.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #92  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Nothing special going on here today. Going to join some friends for a movie tonight: Children of Men, which I've already seen but they haven't.

Food is pretty much OP. Hope the same's true for all of you!

Luja--Thanks for the good wishes. Glad you enjoyed the new salon. My favorite hair place of all time, which I've only had for a few years, is planning to leave for California soon. I think I'll shave my head.

Terri--I don't have my own garden, but I'm hoping to do some canning this summer, with things from the farmer's market.

Angela
Old 06-23-2007, 10:55 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

Our plans for the evening changed. We were supposed to drive to the city to have dinner with former neighbors. However, our farrier was running late which I didn't think would be that bad since we only have two horses here. Somehow, he wassn't done until 7 pm. Too late to drive. We feel really bad about having to reschedule at such late notice. But they have a 10 month old daughter so it just would have been too hard on them.

Pool school was really good this morning. Of course, so were their sales of chemicals and fun things for the pool. I got myself goggles so that I can relearn how to swim. Even though its only a 18 foot pool, I can make a eight strokes across. I figure that if I do that for long enough, it will be exercise. I also got dumbbells that are made out of styrofoam that are for use underwater. I spent about 45 minutes in the pool this afternoon before the farrier came. Felt good.

For additional exercise, I walked Phoenix and Spice up and down the driveway and worked with them waiting for the farrier. Good for sweating off some water weight.

I'm watching a Tom Selleck movie that was made last year. Mercy, he still looks good.

Dinner tonight is leftover BBQ chicken from last night and pasta salad we made to take for dinner tonight. Lots of veggies in with the pasta and a light Greek vinagrette dressing.

I started this about two hours ago. Think I'll post it and head off to bed.

Goodnight!
Old 06-23-2007, 11:56 PM   #94  
No More Excuses!

Hi, Everyone,

Another week has gone, but not much has been going on here. The weather has continued to be nice and warm, so I've been going in the pool nearly every night, - and I've been doing 1/2 hour of water exercises first thing each time I go in. Water exercise is my favorite because you don't get hot and sweaty, and it's easier on the joints.

I also stayed on plan with food this week and lost another 4 1/2 pounds. Tomorrow, we will be going to my sister in-law's birthday party at a local pizza restaurant. They are getting the party room there and will be having a pizza buffet! That will be a bit of a challenge, - I LOVE pizza, - it's my favorite food! I'm planning to fill up on salad and just have 1 or 2 small pieces of pizza. Wish me luck!!

Angela - I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom's stroke. Fortunately, it was a small stroke. How is she doing? I hope she makes a full recovery. In January, my mother in-law had a brain anyerism. It was caught just in time, and surgery was able to repair it. The one good thing that came from her stay in the hospital was that she was told in no uncertain terms by the doctor there that she had to stop smoking, and as she was in the hospital for 3 weeks and couldn't smoke there, she was sort of "forced" to give it up, and when she got home, she hasn't smoked since. Hopefully, it will be the same with your mom. Also, I know what you mean about making short-term goals for your weight loss. It just seems too overwhelming if you think all the time "I've got over 100 pounds to lose!" I, too, am setting my "mini-goal" to get under 300 pounds, and I am starting to get excited that it's only 12 1/2 pounds away until I can finally say I'm in the "two's" again! I look forward to the day when I can say I'm in the "one's"!!!

Lilion - Your time at the lake sounds wonderful!! I love going to the lake. As a child, our family always spent 2 weeks each summer at a cabin at a lake resort and spent the days fishing, boating, swimming, etc. It was wonderful!

Teri - Glad to hear that you got your pool installed. I bet you're really enjoying using it! You deserve to cool off and enjoy yourself in the pool, - you are such a hard worker! I really admire how much physical work you do, you always seem to have so much energy and are always busy with so much! That's wonderful,...............how do you do it???!!

Well, got to go now. Hope you all have a great week!
Old 06-24-2007, 12:04 AM   #95  
No More Excuses!

Sorry, Terri, - I just noticed I spelled your name wrong in my last post! Typing too fast, I think!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #96  

Default Morning chickies!

I was sitting here having a real pity party this morning and I decided to come in here and bore you all to death. LOL! DH and I had a real disagreement this morning over buying a new vent hood of all things. It seems that any time we have an argument money is involved. I know that most vent hoods are not worth the argument, but this is one of those big old commercial stainless steel with all the bells and whistles....that happens to be old and have a short in it Being male, he figured he would just tape it up and that is that. No way, says I! Scares me to think of that. Anyway to make a long story short, maybe, I finally realized the reason I was so short tempered is because I am not happy with myself these days. Eating is out of control again and I feel terrible. I know I have gained weight again even though I am not weighing right now. It seems I can just feel the fat popping out.

Lots and lots of stress involved here these days to. My kitchen has been torn up for over a week while we had the cabinets redone. That is just one of the many things we have been trying to update over the last few years, so I guess DH is about to the place where he says enough already. Little does he know that my next project is removing wall paper in the kitchen and repainting the dining room. LOL!

My Mom is not doing as well as we would like either. She has about quit eating. Makes me sad to see her doing so poorly.

Angela, I hope your Mom is going to be alright. I will add her to my prayer list.

Terri, you busy girl. Take time to enjoy that new pool. Do you have pics of Spice yet, new ones I mean?

Lilion, sounds as if you had a wonderful time at the lake. Escape is good.

Oh my, I have forgotten what the rest of you were talking about on this thread. Sorry! For the gardeners out there, I hope your weather is more growing friendly than ours has been. No rain for Ga. We are getting a few tomatoes now though and green beans. Everything looks so dry and wilted.

I think maybe I have rambled on enough for this time. I think of you all often, just not doing much writing. Take care all, Ruth
Old 06-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #97  

Morning ladies,

This is a really quickie post as I am late for work.

Spanky and Ginger came home yesterday. I went up to test ride him since he's had his 45 days of training. I was a little nervous but it felt good to ride him for the first time. He is a tall one and a long drop to the ground. We took Phoenix up for his 30-45 days so soon I will have two young boys to ride. We've had them since they were yearlings so this is so exciting to have them at 3 years and finally able to ride. And great exercise coming for me!

I can tell my "exercise" time in the pool is paying off. My muscles are telling me that I've been doing something different. Plus I have been having a blast.

I'll do personals later. Ruth, I did see you sneaking in and we miss you. Sorry that you're having a rough patch but you know you can get focused again.

to all!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #98  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Hey everyone! I've been so out of touch with these boards lately…there never seems to be enough hours in the day for me to read and post, but I'm trying!

Life has been really, REALLY busy the past week! For those of you who don't know, I help put on my towns renaissance festival. It's a huge deal for the Library, which is the main sponsor (I'm a mere volunteer - but do a lot of work!) http://www.mrrl.org/renfest/index.html along with City Parks and Rec. It's only one day, noon to 6 p.m. but it takes a lot of man-hours to prepare for. Anyway, it was Saturday and was a big success to my knowledge. All my merchants (I am Merchant Coordinator) seemed to have a prosperous day. I'll be interested in finding out the head count. Last year the estimate was about 6,000 in our little 6 hour festival, and that's really something when you consider that the St. Louis Renfaire rarely exceeds 3000 in a day! We ran out of volunteers to run the children's games and had to shut some down early and I and DS and DH ended up working games for several hours. It was okay. DS wasn't happy about being forced to "volunteer", but we told him he's old enough to lend a hand darn it! In fact, next year I'm just gonna schedule him to work a game for a couple hours and then it won't be a surprise! Once again, I made it through the day without ever seeing a show, hearing a musical group, shopping or seeing the joust. We have the PREMIER jousting group in the US at our show, and I've only ever seen them on DVD. Sad. We can only afford them because they stop by on their way between shows and they get free pasture and camping for a few days this way, in addition to their fee.

Sunday I slept until nearly NOON! We were just BEAT! Then we ate, watched the series finale of Stargate SG1 (and nearly cried when it was over – I LOVED that show) and lazed all day. The most I did Sunday was do a bit of grocery shopping and pick up my Naproxin script. You see, Friday I went to the doctor and was told I may have a stress facture in my foot!!! I was supposed to keep it elevated and take Naproxin all weekend…yeah, right. Not with the weekend I had planned, although I did spend most of Saturday in a golf cart and tried to keep it up when I could, propped on the dash. Today I'm still tired. BOY did I eat fattening too!!! Fried stuff and brats and pizza and brownies and ice cream. I'm back on track today or I'll die trying though!

Terri, You are the posting Queen! I bow before you! I never seem to take the time I ought to keep up and here you are every day! You go! I'm glad your horses are back and in riding form! I bet it was great to get up on the big guy! Swimming sounds like my kind of exercise – I envy you the pool!

Ruth! I was so glad to see your post! Sorry you are having a tough time though. At least it sounds like your projects are getting done! My bathroom STILL isn't finished! And we never even started on the kitchen! Life gets in the way of every project we think we'll start, or do start, and then it just takes forever! My weight is up a bit too…but it'll go back down – AND SO WILL YOURS! Your mom is in my thoughts and prayers!

Sparkles – You are doing great with exercise and staying OP – Keep it up!

Angela – I've been wanting to see Children of Man – was it good? I also am sending : to your mom! How's she doing?

Luja – Actually, I got my swimsuit from JC Penny at ½ price! It is a cami-type tank with separate little skirted bottom. It fits just right. And flattering if I don't actually look at my arms or my thighs!

So I should probably go for now. I'll try to keep up better!
Old 06-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #99  
Vortex

Hey, Lilion, Glad the weekend was a success. When will you have someone else take your job for a year so you can enjoy the fair? Children of Men is really powerful, visually quite lovely, and although I'm no film expert, I think it was really well made. The friends we watched it with had to pause it a couple of times, because no one wanted to miss a second to get up for a soda or bathroom break.

Mom's doing pretty well, I think. Over the weekend they have less physical therapy so she wasn't so exhausted when I called her, and her spirits seem to be better. Still has a catheter in, since she can't yet walk to the bathroom. That'll be a happy day, when she can!

Nothing much going on here. My scale's downward trend has paused, but I suspect that's Tom's fault. In general, since I got off yet another med that I wish I'd never been put on I'm feeling more energetic and getting more exercise.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:26 AM   #100  

Smile Hello!

Good morning ladies, I thought I would shock all of you by posting again this morning. LOL! I was in such a foul mood yesterday, OOOOEEE! Not good for anybody and should have just been quiet!

Our thread seems to be dying and I take responsibility for my part in that, sorry, I will try to do better. Even when I am not on program. I pulled myself back up yesterday and started over. I am trying to get more veggies in me and see if that helps with the cravings.....darn cravings! I have said it before and I say it again, I am my own worst enemy.

My DH has never minded what weight I am, but deep down I know that he would like to see me lose weight, I mean what man wouldn't want his wife to look her best. I, by his own words, was a fox when we married. I am afraid I am more of a blimpie now. I have always battled my weight but the older I get the more of a challenge it is. Easier to gain and harder to lose.

My left foot swelled up and got so sore I could hardly put it on the floor without screaming. I couldn't get my shoe on to go anywhere, so Dh had to go to the nursing home all last week to see about Mama. She had the bladder infection again! I don't think they got it completely cured the first time around. I didn't go to the Dr. with my foot, should have probably, but the workers were here doing my kitchen and I wanted to be here. My Dh said that I had gout! What? Isn't that an old mans ailment? LOL! I tell you if that was gout, you don't want it. Ouchie!! It is better and the swelling has gone down, but it is still tender.

I bet you are tired of hearing all of this natter by now, so I will hush up honey child and go do something constructive. Have a good one chickies, Later, Ruth

Last edited by Iwillbe; 06-26-2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:51 AM   #101  

HI all -

Ruth - I think any relationship that can survive remodeling can survive anything. What stress. I have a friend who has gout since he was in his early 20s - it is painful. I hope it goes away!! Sorry to hear about your Mom - it's so hard when our parents get older.

Angie - glad your Mom is going better.

Lilion - your weekend sounds like a lot of fun! What an accomplishment!

Terri- the pool sounds great. Glad you are finally getting to enjoy it!

I hope everyone else is going well. It's hotter than blazes and humid already and it's only 7:30. Not looking forward to today - I have a LOT of driving to do today for work and wouldn't you know it - my AC conked out yesterday. What timing. I hope I don't look too drippy when I show up at meetings.

Everything else is pretty much the same - gardening, hauling kids to baseball, and working on the house. I decided to learn Portuguese - I like the way it sounds and like Fado music and I've always wanted to go to Lisbon. My daughter thinks it's because Colin Firth was learning it in Love Actually. She may hae a point there There aren't any lessons around here so I got some Pimsler language CDs. They actually work - but I've had three lessons in a row on beer - I want beer. I like beer. Let's go get beer. I'll pay for the beer. Cold beer. It's kind of funny because paired with that is learning how to ask where the bathroom is - something that's important after all of that beer! So I'll go to Lisbon and only be able to order something I don't even like. I hope we at least learn water soon! I am guessing it's the same as in Spanish.

Other than that - I've been exercising, drinking water and staying on plan. I think I may even have FINALLY busted through this loooong plateau I've been on - but it won't be official until JUly 4 my next weigh-in day. I'm only weighing once a month to break myself of my horrible step on the scale 50 times a day obsession. I did cheat this morning and it is looking good - although a humid day can make that thing swing up five pounds in no time at all.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #102  
Vortex

Once again, not much here. Teaching every day. How do high school teachers do it?????? I spend all day getting ready for class, then I teach, then I spend the evening grading, then I get up and start over again.

Ruth--Yes, if that foot swells up again, you go to the doc, wouldja please? Gotta take care of yourself!

Luja--I tried to learn Portuguese a long time ago and made no progress. Good for you, and I hope that next weigh in is as good as you hope.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:14 AM   #103  
aka Karen

S/C/G: 299/293.5/175

Height: 5'6"

Just trying to play catch up. I've haven't been here in a while, major blues I guess, not to mention too much work! The scale is moving downward, though, which was rather shocking to me. I will try better to keep up.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #104  

Hi ladies,

Just to let you know I'm here. Just very busy at work and home and have overslept one morning and had to be at work early the next.

Rain has foiled my swimming and riding plans so far this week except for getting to swim on Monday. Probably will be too wet again tonight.

Trying to be OP with food. My biggest stumblers are afternoon snack attacks and eating too late at night.

Got to run.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:48 AM   #105  

Good Morning Ladies!

Sounds like we all have the same problems, too much work and too little motivation and too much snacking! I've been having major sweet snack attacks! I want chocolate and brownies and ice cream and ... you get the idea.

And I'm feeling the difference in my pants! When I went to the Dr. last Friday my WI was 225. 6 lbs UP - although it was after lunch and without worrying about water retention. Nevertheless, at this point I'm noticing a difference and that means it's time to get serious!

Monday.
Closed Thread