Old 06-29-2007, 01:19 PM   #1  
Going around again

S/C/G: 289/249/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Do people notice your loss?

One thing about being larger than your average dieter, I have found that even after I lost 30 pounds (currently), no one has mentioned it.

I think I have so much to lose, they cannot even tell.

It's so frustrating, because I have a friend who lost ten pounds, and everyone makes a big deal about it. Grrrrrrr.

I know I am doing this for myself, and I do feel better, but I just needed to vent LOL.

Have you lost a good amount of weight, and yet no one has noticed at all?
MoragMunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #2  

Hi Morag,

When I started at 350+, people didn't notice until I had lost 50+ pounds. The other sad thing that I found was that my pictures didn't show any weight loss until after 50 lbs and mostly in the FACE! ugh.. mainly because I wore very loose clothing. My clothes could hide lots of fat rolls. To them 50lbs on a large person seems like 10lbs.

It gets better. I swear. When people started noticing, they were floored at the number I gave them. I'm doing this for me this time!

*hugs*
Ratkity
Ratkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

It took a while for people to say anything. They may have noticed earlier, but sometimes are hesitant to speak up for whatever reason.

I think when I first started, no one said anything for at least 30 pounds. More like 50-70 for people I knew casually to say anything. But now that I've lost 40% of my starting weight EVERYONE notices! Some people I don't know well have not recognized me.

In fact, it got to a point where so many people commented so often that it got tiring (a little) to talk about. Now that I've maintained a 115-120 pound loss since November, the comments have really died down again.

So, don't despair, the fun is there. Keep at it!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 208/193/137

Height: 5'2"

At first when I lost weight nobody said anything and it does get rather discouraging. I have lost 32 lbs since October but I've only begun tracking it since June 11th on 3FC. Up until the 11lbs that I recently lost, nobody said anything. Today, though, my best friend brought 2 pictures from New Year's Eve to work so she could show me how great I look now compared to then. It was nice that someone took the time to point it out to me and give me a pat on the back for my efforts. I still want to lose 60 lbs. I hope people become even more supportive. That is the reason I joined this site, though. I need all the support I can get! Thanks all!
MeGaLiciouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:14 PM   #5  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Talking

I've lost 18 pounds and people are only now starting to notice - and even so Its very rare somebody actually says "wow... you've lost so much weight" I wear the full islamic dress (except from covering my face) and so our clothes are meant to be loose.
Actually I'll give you an example

So if you imagine our clothes are supposed to be loose and flowing so no body knows what your figure looks like most people don't really notice when you've lost weight and the BEST THING IS people don't even notice when you put it on... except from in your face. Now those dresses (abayahs) are looking looser on me and are not hugging my figure (like when I had put on weight) people are like "wow... you've lost so much weight" or my favourite which happened last night "Hey skinny..." I actually turned around like "what? you talking to me!!!!"
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #6  
The Story Re-Written

S/C/G: 384/227/180-235

Height: 6ft 4in

I have lost almost 60lbs. and it seems that everyone noticed my face is thinner. Though my mom mentioned that my butt was going down as well. See, I had/have(?) the kind of butt that you could set a glass of water and an alarm clock on ( ), but now, I think they would slide off. My doctor also noticed that my legs are slimming down and such, but I am like you...I wonder how much more I will lose before someone that hasn't seem me everyday forever says something.
TheStorySoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

When I first started at 310, I had lost about 35 pounds before I got any comments, and even then, there were only 2 or 3 people who commented, and most of them KNEW I was trying to lose weight, so it was more like they were looking for it than just randomly noticing, if that makes sense. I had gotten down to about 264 from that 310 and never even went down one pants size, so I guess I couldn't really expect people to notice if even I couldn't really notice much myself.

Another thing I would like to say: some people may notice, but they won't say anything for fear of the words coming out wrong or you not wanting the attention, etc. Just because no one says anything doesn't mean no one notices
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:08 PM   #8  

Height: 5'6"

One person said something when I had lost about 30 lbs., but really the people I work with *just* said something to me last week when I was at about 68 lbs lost. A very good friend said something at about 40 lbs lost about "the girls" really getting alot smaller. lol! I still have ALOT to lose and I agree with Jilly that some people don't want to inadvertently hurt your feelings, etc. Either way...I feel GREAT!!
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #9  

I'm down about 20 pounds, but I am down quite a few inches so I know I smaller - so far the only people who have anything are my husband, daughter and a really good friend. There are a couple of people at work who look like they've wanted to say something, but I haven't worked with them very long and I think they are afraid to offend me. I'm actually ok with it and hope it stays this way - I've got some perverse nature that when people start noticing and complimenting me too much I totally fall off the wagon and gain it back. That may be another reason people don't say anything - how many times have I lost and gained it back. Maybe they are waiting to see if sticks this time!!
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

It was 30-40 pounds when I started getting asked if I was losing weight; I didn't really get the "wow, you look great" comments until 100 pounds later. I saw a picture of myself after I lost 60 pounds -- there was a difference, but not a substantial one. But from 240 to around where I am now -- huge difference.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:56 PM   #11  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

It took more than 50 lbs for most people to notice. And even then I was wearing some of the same baggy clothes. Once I had to get smaller clothes more people noticed. Don't despair, keep it up and EVERYONE will eventually want to comment on it and talk about it over and over.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

It's so true that the more you have to lose, the longer it will take for people to notice.

No one noticed the 30 pounds from 295 to 265. But several people who met me when I weighed in the low 200s noticed when I was in the 170s.

And buying new clothes really does make a difference! Especially when they fit just right and flatter. As SeranaB noted too!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:30 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 360/354/250

Height: 5'11

It took 40lbs b4 people noticed my weightloss, which just occurred this month. It's weird, because they have just started commenting and I have seen it in my clothe and scale, but I don't see it in the mirror when I look at myself.

Morag, don't get frustrated because before you know it people will notice!
Motivated74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:55 AM   #14  
Going around again

S/C/G: 289/249/140

Wow, thanks so much for all of your stories. Some actually made me chuckle. LOL.

Well, I guess it's true about people not wanting to offend or hurt my feelings ... and although I feel the loss in a huge way, I also cannot see it. I have gone down two pants sizes though .... but you are all right in that I don't necessarily want everyone to keep talking about it either
MoragMunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #15  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Morag, I didn't think to mention it, but *I* also couldn't really tell a difference until I had lost about 50 lbs either. Even then really only in my face.

Two pants sizes...That's wonderful. Keep it up.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote