Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-31-2010, 07:14 PM   #1  
Mel

Default February - The longest shortest month!

How did we get here so quickly?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:48 AM   #2  

Hi Mel,

Thanks for starting up the thread!

Official report for the holiday season: I weighed yesterday and I'm happy to report that I'm back at a smidge below my pre-holiday weight! Sooo the"10 week challenge" with myself is paying off, even though my adherence has not been perfect. I'll continue untill feb 18th with the challenge, and commence a new one at march 2. I have a business trip to California coming up, leaving the 19th and returning the 1st of march, so I'll use that as "rest"

WO over the weekend: did not happen, unless you cound standing 5+ hours at a party on saturday, and taking a 1 hour walk through the snow on sunday. I did not get sweaty at either though...
WO today: 2 rounds of 12 pushups, assisted pullups, bench dips, back extensions (?) on the ball, jackknifes with the ball, bw squats, followed by some yoga.

I'm working from home today because the roads in the village are covered in snow. I hope they'll have it cleared tomorrow! Looks pretty tough. And I have bulbs in a flower pot in bloom on my table, so it smells nice and looks pretty at home as well.

Mel - how are you doing? Do the foam rolling,vibram shoes, and stretching (note that I am avoiding the y word here ) help?

Have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks, Lydia. Yes, it's the figure 4 pose to sort out recalcitrant ITBs.

Glad we got that sorted out!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #4  

(whispering) what is ITB actually?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #5  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Well I hope will get through February (and through March as well) as quickly as we we got to February. January was quite kind to us (weatherwise) but who knows what Mother Nature has up her sleeve for the next two months. And we sometimes get freezing rain even in blinking April.

I read with great interest all the posts about doing too much, IT band and recovery. My old issue, pain in the hip, resurfaced after being on the TM only a few times. I will have to think hard what I will be doing for cardio because I also feel that perhaps I am doing too much too soon (from the view point of plantar fasciitis).

An unpleasant surprise at the gym on Saturday: after my Zumba, I heard the other ladies talking in the change room about us being charged extra money for the Zumba classes (the two classes I took last week were with supply intructors but apparently Luanne, our instructor, was present on other days). So it turns out our gym got greedy and wants to charge us $5 for each Zumba class - on top of our regular gym membership, or a monthly add-on fee of $30. Supposedly the idea is that anyone (even people who do not have gym membership) should be able to come in, pay $5 for Zumba, have the class and leave.
But, I don't really understand the logic of it (other than the greediness) - there is NO SPACE for other people. Zumba classes are packed, mostly due to the fact that Luanne is really awesome. But where would the other people go? We can barely move as is.
Of course, there is a lot of uproar about this and I hear the ladies say that that we need to boycott the classes etc. The fee is supposed to kick in today (Feb 1st) so I guess I will go to my usual class tomorrow to hear the scoop from Luanne. Otherwise, I am not in favour of the idea of having to dish out another $30 on top of my membership fee ($47).

I had a really nice workout yesterday - mostly biceps and triceps, with some back exercises thrown in as well. Quite sore today.
Friday, I went swimming but the water was quite cold so I left, half-frozen, after 30 minutes.

Alena

Last edited by Tomato; 02-01-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #6  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rabbit View Post
(whispering) what is ITB actually?
Rabbit:

It's the Iliotibial Band. Here's a little light reading for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome

http://footcarexpress.com/foot-ortho...d-syndrome.jpg

Alena: I'm feeling for you. That's a lot of money each month! ~sigh~ Not to mention how this open availability to the class could prevent paying monthly members to the gym from actually participating in the class! It's wrong. if there was space, okay...maybe...but if it's already full it just seems like a disservice to those who are already there. It's a shame that they may be feeling like they missed the boat by not charging in the beginning but I'm not supportive of changing the rules now that the class could be profitable. Wonder if this is really a way to thin out the class. If they have to pay extra for it then they may not participate. Ehh. Just a thought.

Shannon: I wanted to get back to you about your interest in HIIT and heart rate. This was new material for me as I prepared for my NASM this fall.

Cardiorespiratory training is introduced and implemented in stages. They have broken up cardio training into three zones:

Zone 1: is aerobic at a heart rate percentage of 65 to 75% of heart rate max (220-age =Heart rate max).

This is the walking we can do on a treadmill till the cows come home. Might break a sweat, just cruising along...We also refer to this as the "Recovery Zone."

This zone is often implemented when working with a new client who hasn't done intentional cardio training for an extended period of time. (deconditioned) The benefits of this stage is increase blood volume (more blood means more nutrients to the cells for tissue repair and removal of waste)

Once you are capable of maintaining a zone one heart rate for at least 30 minutes two to three times a week they may proceed to Zone Two training.

Zone Two: is near anaerobic meaning working at a level where the body can not produce enough energy for the muscles given it's normal oxygen intake. As a result there is a build of lactic acid which can not be removed fast enough.

When at this zone we are working at 80 to 85% of our heart rate max. Many of us will work within this zone. We are working very hard, but our bodies have also begun to acclimate to the demands of this work load and is becoming efficient. An example of this is a really well worked group exercise class. It's generally the zone I hang out in when I'm working on the elliptical or lifting weights three or four days a week.

Zone Three true anaerobic. An example of this is a full out sprint. We are working at a heart rate of 85 to 90%. Welcome to the puke club. This is a very intense level and can't be sustained for more than 10 to 60 seconds. Seriously difficult. Generally its a level that we incorporate into our training one or two days a week. More often than this and it could lead to overtraining.

k. So how does this actually work.

Once you have been given the green light to proceed beyond Zone 1 which all of us are there you incorporate Zone 2 training.

To do Zone 2 training:
Warm up for 5 to 10 minutes within Zone 1 (60 to 75% HRmax)

Begin a 1 minute interval at Zone 2 (80 to 85% HRmax) *it may take a few seconds to actually get to the higher heart rate which is fine, the remaining time spent will be at Zone 2 but the actually minute includes the time needed to "ramp up"

After the 60 seconds are completed bring it back down to Zone 1 (60 to 75% HRmax) for 5 minutes. (This is why Zone 1 is also referred to as the Recovery Zone as well)

Repeat this pattern for the length of the cardio session. Reserve the last three to five minutes as recovery and then followed by the cooldown.

To do Zone 3 training: Ah, this is fun...
Really need to develop a great cardio baseline before jumping into this.
Begin with the warm up at Zone 1 for five to ten minutes
Slowly climb through Zone 2 for two minutes
Push into Zone 3 for one minute (or as close to a minute as possible) Decrease workload back into Zone 2. During this minute the heart rate will drop. The efficiency in which the heart rate lowers is an indication of strong the heart is becoming through your consistent cardio exercises.

Once the heart has dropped back into Zone 2 within that minute then dial it back up to Zone 3 again for the next interval (remember it may only last ten to 60 seconds max at Zone 3)

At the end of this interval slow things down to Zone 1(recovery) for ten minutes before beginning the interval pattern all over again.

Now, if your heart rate does not return to 80 to 85% efficiency during your return to Zone 2 then do not return to Zone 3. Keep the intensity between Zone 1 alternated with Zone 2 for the remainder of the workout. For various reasons you may not be rested enough or conditioned enough to complete Zone 3 at that time.

Rotating through these stages will prevent the body from becoming overly efficient with our workouts. It's also a lot of fun to challenge yourself as well. Just be aware of your heart rate level and do not incorporate the Zone 3 training more than once or twice a week. Seriously. It will be more than enough to make improvements.

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by Lydia227; 02-01-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #7  

Lydia, THANKS!!!
Of to the light reading...
Rabbit
Old 02-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #8  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Rabbit - was about to pass you a note with the wikipedia info in but Lydia got there first. My ITB issues began after a happy morning climbing (well, I thought) over glacial boulders.

Alena - that zumba business at your gymn is wrong.

Lydia - great info. Thank you.

Feeling ill with cough & cold - finally! Have been sub-clinical for 8 days since I went swimming last week. Really, this fitness business is bad for one's health.

Rest, warmth, fluids.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #9  
Let's salsa!

As the day went by, my arms felt more and more sore. That's normal for me, I always have the delayed onset of soreness. So I did the little Amy Dixon cardio today as I needed to get the blood moving. I hope you will all get good laugh out this because I have to admit that I found somewhere ONE POUND dumbbells and exercised with those. After all, doesn't Tracy Anderson prescribe that no woman should lift heavier than 3 pounds .... LOL.

I have to say that was an excellent investment of $4. That 37 minute cardio makes me sweat as if I was carting blocks of granite to the top of an Egyptian pyramid.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #10  
Workin' It

Wow... February...

Alena - I don't know that I have even seem 1 lb dumbells. And that is really ooky about the extra Zumba charge. I hate it when people change the rules after the game starts.

Birch - hope you are feeling better today!

Lydia - thanks for the HR info. Interesting. I have to keep an eye on recovery time for the next week or so.

Rabbit - glad your ten week plan worked well!

Mel - I swear it was 1/1 just yesterday...

Exercise yesterday was good. Food was good, though a little nut heavy. Run at the park planned today, provided the sun comes out like the weather says it will.
__________________________________________________ _______
Monday 2/1 workout:
Warmup:
-1:00 minute jump rope
-20 PVC ROM pass throughs
-10 PVC Sumo Deadlift High Pull
-2 Sumo Deadlift High Pull w/ empty bar
-WH Belly Off Workout warmup (10 y squat, 10 pushup, 10 'stickup', 10 mountain climber per side, 10 forward lunge per side, 10 'waiter bow', 10 spiderman crawl per side)
PN Day 1 Workout:
1a) Bulgarian Split Squat + contra-lateral shoulder press: 1x6x20 per side/3x6x15 per side
1b) BB corner toss into lumberack squat with calf raise & press: 4x6x65lb
1c) Bodyweight jump squat with tuck: 4x5xme
1d) Alternating lateral squat with push-out: 4x5x20 per side
2a) BB corner press: 3x11x60 per side
2b) BB corner row: 3x11x60 per side
3) T push-up: 3x4
Totals:
1:05 total time
11,060 pounds
455 cals burned
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #11  
No description available.

Lydia,
Do you think the "talk test" is useful at all? I have 3 speeds: one, where I can carry on a conversation easily; two, where I can talk a little but it's hard; and three, where talking would be impossible. So that's how I pick up my intervals when I'm running. For three, I pretend a velociraptor is after me----it's an all out sprint, and then I recover till I can talk a little and do it again. I'm not very techy. DH has a heart rate monitor so I might consider using it I guess.

So....I've been grain free since Saturday morning. I feel really good. Not missing them, but my grain free effort has made it more of a no brainer to avoid all sorts of things.

Last edited by midwife; 02-02-2010 at 01:33 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Alena, Pat, anyone else with info or experience - So tell me about plantar fasciitis... I have a spot on the bottom of my right foot - not on my heel, about 1/2 inch above the heel. When you run your finger over the area it feels like a blood vessel is distended a little above the surface. Like if you clench your fist to make the veins in the inner elbow pop up for a blood draw. It hurts to touch sometimes, not all the time. I noticed it first on Monday after standing at the funeral home in heels for several hours. I don't notice it being more or less painful at any time during the day, I can still flex my foot, twist, etc. Incidentally, it is the same place where I feel pressure on the bottom of my foot during Warrior II. And, the arch appears a little lower on that foot, or maybe there is a little swelling. Does it sound like the beginning of plantar fasciitis? Do I need to wear shoes with more arch support?

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 02-02-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #13  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I have no comment on plantar fasciitis or workout zones for HIIT. Nothing. Fresh out.

Turns out, I'm fresh out of motivation, too. I'm just ... tired today. Physically tired and mentally tired. And, my head hurts. Several well-meaning colleagues have told me that I look like crap today, only in kindlier terms of course. Run-down, when I should go running.

So, do I go to the gym and try to work through it? Or, do I head home, go to bed early, and try again another day?

Kim (not even a "be strong", today)
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #14  
Let's salsa!

Kim - go to bed and get some shut-eye! Tomorrow is another day. The road will be there. Get rest.

Shannon - oh no! I hope it's not PF. Hard to tell. In my case, the pain was located on the inner side of the heel, sort of on the edge of the heel. I don't know if a bit higher would still be PF. Here is a link that has a picture - scroll all the way down.
I never really felt sharp or stabbing pain, it felt more like there is something in the shoe that should not be there. It still feels this way when i stand or walk barefoot. But, standing in high heels could bring it on - remember, I got it from high heels as well. In any case, if it doesn't go away please get a diagnosis so that you can start with the right therapy right away. Don't waste any time.
Also, please visit the Exercise forum - there is a fresh thread about PF where I responded just yesterday.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it is only some temporary owie and not PF.

Alena
Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #15  
Mel

Kim- I hope you went home. Those are the days that I go to the gym anyway, have really LOUSY workout and feel bad about everything that is supposed to make me feel good. I hope you are smarter

I'm sitting here with an ice bag taped to one knee and a bag of frozen peas taped to the other. I took 2 days off from leg work. Obviously not enough.

Lydia- great explanation of the heart rate zone training. Thank you. Maybe some day I'll replace my dead Polar monitor. I used to use it a lot when I was doing spinning classes.

Midwife- Grain-free certainly does cut down on a lot of temptations. When our house was vigilantly gluten free, it was a lot easier.

Here's another book for the science nerds out there: Dangerous Grains by Dr. James Braly and Dr. Ron Hoggan.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote