Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-12-2010, 02:29 AM   #91  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Lydia, I probably won't get a pic up till after the weekend. I finished reading the tome today. I just wish I didn't know there is going to be a written exam at the end. Since there's really no info available on it anywhere in the packet or on the dotcom site, I would have just preferred them to spring it on me Sunday afternoon, so I couldn't spend the whole week worrying about it! At least some of my peeps will be there, because about half dozen of my friends are taking it, then my trainer and Todd are teaching at this one, so at least I will know some peeps, and it's at my gym, so it won't be all freakishly nerve-wracking! Still, I think I just won't relax until it gets underway, or maybe till it's over!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #92  
Mel

Cheryl! Best wished and have fun at the level one cert. I'm jealous too. I missed signing up for the one near here that was held last week-end and there aren't any near me for ages. A few of my CF buddies took it. They were exhausted, but happy. They did not have a test at the end- which I find horrifying. They said it was ALL about form, program building, and theory. They never used any except PVC pipe and light kettle bells.

I'm SORE from heavy back squats and then another session of "find the mailbox" after I got home from cross fit yesterday evening. I'm sooooo glad I picked a SKI vacation for 2 weeks from now If I never see snow again, it will be too soon. And I haven't even been on skis yet this season

Eating has been bizarre this week- probably the snow effect I just want hot chocolate, soup, and carbs. Luckily, I've had some restraint!

Gotta scoot,

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #93  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Howdy-do, everyone!

Just back from the gym. Not the best workout in the world. For some reason I was dragging, despite having taken 2 rest days in a row. Hope I'm not hitting the 6-week blahs.

Lydia -- step 2 of eliminating sugar and artificial sweeteners is going better than expected. I only miss the sweetness in my coffee if it's reheated or too strong coffee. I guess it's not such a bad thing if I start making half a pot at a time. But I can't say it's had a noticeable effect on my sweet tooth yet. I'll give it more time.

Cheryl -- good luck with the cert. Enjoy the process, and don't stress about the outcome. (My new mantra.)

Mel -- where did you decide to go for the ski vacation? (Not Whistler, I hope.)

Off to work, finally. Another long day ahead, including a work dinner.

be strong //
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #94  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl: You are going to be just fine tomorrow. I want to echo Kaw's sentiment and just live in the moment. You get to do this! At the end you will be Level 1 certified. Then! You can come on over to Columbus and show me how pathetic I am.

Kaw: I think I may be able to rid of the stuff in my coffee, it's more like the diet soda and crystal light in the am. I'm not stressing though. It's a choice that's always out there for me.

K. Taking the boys out for swimming lessons. Stay warm everyone.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #95  
Mel

Kim- I'm going to Breckenridge, but at this point I's so sick of snow I'd rather go to Aruba!

Knees feel cranky today even though I subbed kettle bell swings for the DUBs at cross fit last night. I think a rest day is in order (read: more snow removal ) instead of an official workout. My CF box has now added Sunday classes, so I have to be careful NOT to go 7 days a week

Lydia- I've eliminated the fake or real sweet stuff from everything except gum. I have horrible dry mouth from medications and my doc actually told me the chew sugar free gum. I do find that it makes me hungry. What I refuse to give up is 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee! I gave it up for about 5 years and hated coffee, one of the true joys of life To me, it's absolutely worth the extra 15-20 calories!

This has been a really tough week. Snowmageddon, job craziness, and job uncertainty have been a triple whammy. I just feel beat!

Thinking of Cheryl doing her cert!!!!

Mel
Old 02-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #96  
Workin' It

Quick flyby to send good vibes to Cheryl for certification day!!!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #97  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Cheryl: you are going to be great. Enjoy yourself!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #98  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Hey ladies, I survived day 1 of the CF cert!

The skinny on the written test is, the test is ready, so nobody has any idea why, but as far as they knew, we were not doing the written test this weekend. My trainer says we're hosting another Level 1 in April, so if the test is up and running by that one, I can take it then.

So, the report on today:
We went over the 9 essential (to CF) movements in groups of 3:
the squat series: air (bodyweight) squat, front squat, overhead squat
the pressing series: overhead (shoulder) press, push press, push jerk
the deadlift series: deadlift, sumo deadlift high pull, med ball clean
First for each series was a 45 minute lecture on the movement and demo of the movement, then we split into groups to spend about 30 minutes doing the movement ourselves and also critiquing and learning to see faults/fixes in each movement. I kept fading out about the last ten or fifteen of the lectures, almost falling asleep. I thought it was just me, but others said the same, not because it was boring, but just sitting and semi-exhausted from the first day jitters.

In between all that, they threw in one tabata squat workout, lunch, and various 5 minute bathroom breaks, to try and keep the group alert, lol. At the end of the day, we took a group picture of all the participants, then did a little warm-up with some running, squats, burpees, push-ups, walking lunges, and sampson stretches to get us ready for Fran. Fran was the final and big wod at the end of the day. They set up a ton of bars, we ran 3 groups, everybody got to scale as needed for barbell weight, and if you couldn't do pull-ups, you did jumping pull-ups, so everyone was able to participate. They set a 10 minute time limit, so nobody had to work past that even if they didn't finish. I used to do 65# thrusters, but had scaled to 55# since coming back off the injury. Today, after all that pvc abuse, my shoulder was already very sore and tired, just not in shape for an all day event, so by the time I got to Fran, the 55# was way too heavy, and I scaled to just the girl bar (33#), which was just right at that moment. I didn't actually get my time on this one, was just happy to finish, but with the lighter weight and jumping pull-ups, was around the 6 or 7 minute mark. I didn't care, though, just did not want to wreck my shoulder this weekend, not when it is just getting back to where I CAN do overhead anything with it!

At the end, Laurie and Kurtis (my trainers and the gym owners) brought beer and barbeque chicken wings (homemade on the chicken) for everybody, and some folks were hanging out, but I just had to get home, plus I don't drink beer, so I just said goodnight to all and headed home.

Todd says tomorrow starts with a question and answer period, for us to ask any questions we may have about CF, then more of the same as today with movement and workouts (I'm guessing a Fight Gone Bad is on the menu, if memory serves), then a lecture on programming to finish it off. I think they may cover some things in the middle like helping folks with kipping pull-ups, muscle-ups, etc, at least I hope so. Maybe I can get some help with my pull-up if my shoulder will stand the abuse.

The trainers are all great. We got Josh Everett, Nadia and Lisa (whose last names I don't know, but whom I've met before as they train up here at certs frequently), and some trainers I hadn't met before, along with my trainer Kurtis, and Todd W who works out at our gym, so I was glad they were there. All the trainers did a strongman workout at lunchtime, which was fun to watch...Kurtis loves strongman and Todd is really getting into it, but the poor visiting trainers all scraped the skin off their arms picking up the strongman stones, so they will be feeling beat up tonight. Nadia was smart enough to steer clear of that one, having already been through that torture once before, lol.

So, it was a fun day, lots of good info, great people, good learning experience, just a bit hard on the shoulder, but I'm icing it a few times before bed, and I don't think I did anything to reinjure it, I think it's probably just fatigued because I just started back to overhead anything like last week..? I've eaten enough food to feed 3 grown men today, okay, at least 2, but all good food, so I'm not freaking about it. My goal is just to get through the cert strong and injury-free! Monday is CF Total at our gym, which I had hoped to do, but if tomorrow is like today, I don't think I'll have the juice for it. I'll just see how I feel Monday morning.

Thanks for all the support and for keeping me sane, ladies! I'll report in tomorrow night with the day 2 report.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #99  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Forgot to say, for anyone who cares, there was an intro lecture in there on "What is Crossfit" and "What is Fitness", going over why we do what we do, why we don't specialize, what functional means to Crossfit movements, etc.

PS- uploaded the new hairdo pic for Lydia.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 02-13-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:58 AM   #100  
in development

Fantastic, Cheryl!

And your hair looks great, too!

Have another good day today - we're keen to hear.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:04 AM   #101  

Happy valentine!

Cheryl - you look sooooo good with the new hairdo!!!

keep us posted on the CF, it sounds positively brutal!

no wo's for me the poast days. i got some low level crud, stuffed head etc. worked too hard in the past 3 weeks, so I'm taking a rrest.

Birch, how is the trip?

we have snow today , yuck! as it is the day of the carnival parade.

Have a great weekend all,

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #102  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl: I love the new haircut! Wow, it's really a big transformation. Hope you are receiving lots of compliments because you look great! Seriously, I can also see strength in your face. (Does anyone else ever notice this in those who lift) It's a look, a good one, healthy!

Great job in using good judgement during the Fran. And no wings/beer. Keeping it clean even when the others aren't. They'll feel it today.

Hope you recovered enough for today and enjoy!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #103  
in development

rabbit: we're in London now, mulling over options. Our friends have gone off to Sweden and, yes, I can tell you that their filth is worse than ours. So get cleaning your house for your parents! I fancy a piano concert tomorrow and a play on Tuesday. Haven't consulted the rest of the group yet though. He's upstairs, thoroughly checking out another boy's bedroom.

Lydia - you're right about faces. Hadn't put that into words myself.

Cheryl - Lydia's right. Your face does look strong. It's a great picture. Who took it?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #104  
Mel

I love the haircut, Cheryl, and the day 1 synopsis. Have fun today, stay injury free!

Mel
Old 02-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #105  
No description available.

Sounds like a great day, Cheryl! I'd need better choices than wings and beer to fuel that kind of a day, too! You look great! I know what Lydia means about seeing strength in faces....such a lean, healthy look. I see it in forearms, too.

Happy Valentine's Day, all!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote