Old 05-05-2004, 04:02 PM   #31  
my body my temple

Good Wednesday Everyone!

Welcome Red!!

Well I jumped on the scale today at the gym and I am a 3 pounds lost happy chick. I believe alot of that has to do with my being sick so I won't break out the champagne, but I am going to do everything I can to keep it off.

Cat - Actually my friend DOES live at the gym! HA!

At the gym I pushed it to the ultimate I could go. I was there for an hour and 45 mins and burnt 600 calories. It's actually not that hard if you up your speed and levels. I feel awesome!!! Anyways, I'm off to work, hope you all have a great day.
Miss.Procrastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:19 PM   #32  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Hi there. It's 5 a.m. and I just wanted to say thanks for the hellos.
Jenn, a kilo is 2.2 lbs. Losing 5 lbs of pure fat is not as easy as it sounds. It crawls off. And because I work out very heavy I need strength. Losing even just a little weight really cuts into the motivation to slog iron around. But I am determined!!

Scale masters! I get on every morning and write it down, make graphs, and like to look at them. I've always loved graphs since I was a kid and seeing that downward tendency is a great feeling. They're good too because it's hard to realize there is a tendency when it's so small and you're not writing things down. This way, with the graphs, I can see when weight tends to go up and even plateaus usually disappear in 4 or 5 days but if I didn't have that record there to look at, I'm sure it would seem like weeks. It does anyhow, I just can handle it when I think it's going to drop soon. Maybe you should give it a try.

Bye for now!

Last edited by redballoon; 05-05-2004 at 04:23 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:57 PM   #33  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hi Girls Hi Redballoon glad you joined us

I walked into that did'nt i? Miss P so what did you do to burn all those calories? i'm really interested in this i think the most my treadmill has ever told me i've burned in one session is 400 and i did'nt believe that

Red, i like using a graph too and i have one printed out ready to use i printed it out ages ago and then gained some weight over Easter and after Easter so, since i'd already written the weights on it i'll have to wait until i get to 164lbs again before i can start to use it

Hide that scale Krissy i sometimes stuff mine in the closet and i'm such an addict that i'll go and fish it out sometimes (well, most of the time)
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:46 PM   #34  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 236/236/166

Hehe I am a total scale addict...I am jumping on it all the time...and every day if there is the slighest change I update my fitday and let it make me a graph

I would never put the scale in the closet on myself though...Tim would start to wonder why I went in the closet so much, LOL
JEO1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:24 PM   #35  

Hi Ladies,
Well i did good at the gym yesterday...haha...didnt even look at that scale. I just walked right past it. I think i burn about 300 cals at the gym..going by their machines. I feel like im working hard, but then 300 isnt that much at all..Maybe i need to use a different machine or stay on them longer...
Anyway have a good day all!!
krissyp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:40 PM   #36  
my body my temple

Hi ya girlies! I LOVE that fitday website - it rocks thanks for the link *thumbs up*. My workout yesterday was 20mins on the treadmill, incline at 4.0 speed, 20mins on the eliptical trainer (this is the machine to sweat on!)level 2 keeping the pace between 75-80 and then the stationary bike for 20 mins at about 80. I also did circut and some free weights. But it was mostly cardio and I just added up all the calories from the machines that I used. Today though, I am LAZY I slept in and I have some laundry to do before work. I was going to go to the gym after work but with survivor and the seasonal finale of friends being on tonight - I think I might use this as a 'bad' day for exercise. See this is my pattern, I have a good gym day and then I'm lazy for two days then another good gym day - and so on and so on....
I might use my ball for some situps because my stomach is my biggest 'piss off' about my whole body. I think if it gets an inch bigger my navel piercing is going to pop right out! EEK!

Back to that fitday - did I say how much I love that!! I realize that my carbs are almost most of my pie chart for the day, but I don't think I have that many carbs - I will NOT, repeat NOT! give up my morning bagel or bowl of Special K. Oh Cruel world! I need to kick up the protein a bit more. Well, I have some laundry to do - be good girls!!
Old 05-06-2004, 04:28 PM   #37  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hi Everyone,

I don't know what you mean by keep the pace at 75-80 and 80 Miss P my stationary bike just measures time,distance,speed and calories..what is the 80? sorry to be a pain but i like to know what is working for other people

Well Done Krissy i'm going to go on my treadmill for half an hour it will be my first exercise for a MONTH!
Old 05-06-2004, 05:24 PM   #38  
Never give up

cat90, the 80 refers to the cadence, the revolutions per minute (rpm), how many times the pedals go around. 80 is a good pace, brisk. Just don't put the resistance too low or it won't mean much.

If your bike doesn't have this reading you can get monitors to attach to the wheel so you can keep an eye on cadence. Most bikes, however, have an rpm reading. Maybe it's hidden there somewhere.

Last edited by redballoon; 05-06-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:50 PM   #39  
my body my temple

Thanks Red couldn't of said it better myself! Just getting ready for my 'Friends' and 'Survivor' party - NO MUNCHIES!!!!! I hope Rob or Amber get oust tonight, let's cross our fingers. Later ladies and have a fabulous evening!
Old 05-06-2004, 10:13 PM   #40  
Never give up

Glad to be of help Miss P. Have fun with your shows.

Krissy, 300 calories burned exercising is a good amount. Yes, it doesn't seem like much considering how easy it is to just wallop that much in your mouth in seconds flat! Just shows you that losing weight is a very hard thing to do. Be proud of yourself and every little bit you get off.

I like to equate losing weight to earning money and gaining weight to spending. Easy come, easy go. With food, easy into the mouth, hard off the hips!!

Just wanted to say that I had a major foot stompin' day yesterday (Thursday). Blew off some work to go to the gym, weight train and run for 5 K. Kept my calories under my limit. Boy, was I ever hungry at night. Got woken up by a long-distance phone call (Italy to Japan) and my stomach was growling so much I couldn't get back to sleep. Finally did and when I woke up this morning the first thing I realized was that the hunger pangs weren't there.

I've decided to just make friends with hunger. Scale registered a small dip, but that's up and down every day. But I see the muscles coming out of hiding. Would but the flab leave my midsection!! Bit by bit. Consistency rules!!
Power to you all!

Last edited by redballoon; 05-06-2004 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:41 PM   #41  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hi Girls,

I ended up walking 3mls yesterday i drank quite a bit of water too got weighed tonight and i'm down 4.5lbs i won't expect this every week cos usually the first week is mostly water weight anyway but i'm very, very happy with it

Thanks for the info redballoon mine does'nt have it on so it must be an oldie
Old 05-08-2004, 12:20 PM   #42  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 236/236/166

Weighed in this morning at the gym - down 3.3#

Congratulations Cat! That is terrific - 4.5 pounds in a week!!
JEO1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #43  
my body my temple

Cat and Jenn *thumbs up* Awesome job!! I am still down the 3 pounds I lost last week, which for me is a total win win. I was wondering, (now that I'm on fitday calculating all my food intake), what are the daily calories we are able to have? I am pretty much about 1200 calories a day although at the beginning of the week I was about 900 calories a day. Last night I went up to 1400 because I had friends over for dinner and we all made something. I made lasagna (carbfest!) and the others brought breads and desserts and munchies - more carbs! I am going to the gym in a little bit to try and burn atleast half of this carb and calorie intake, even if I'm stuck there all morning. Looks like a rainy day anyways. Let's spice things up a bit in here with a daily question or something, let's make it non-weight related so that we can have a mental break. I'll start off, hehe....ummm....What was your favoraite all time movie? My answer to that is Pretty In Pink! Yes I was a retro teen, ha!

Happy saturday everyone and be good!

Last edited by Miss.Procrastinator; 05-08-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #44  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hi Girls,

Miss P, the calories you can take depend on your weight and height. I'm currently supposed to be able to eat 1900cals per day (according to the calculators i've used) and maintain but i want to lose so if i deduct 500cals per day i should lose 1lb per week and it leaves me with 1400cals to eat. If i want to lose at a faster rate i eat even less calories add some exercise and wallah i'm a fox there is a calculator on this site, just put in your weight and height and it will tell you yours then cut that amount down to a number you can live with.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #45  
Never give up

Good morning everyone,
Great to hear the weight losses. You're doing so well. Keep it up!
I've been on a roll here, really working out and limiting the calories. And I've been doing it even through some very rough work situations and stressful times, which normally are cues for me to dig in (to the food that is).

Watching calories is a must. It's something I didn't do as I was more concerned with eating healthful foods and cutting out all sugar. Now that I've got that down to where it's second nature, I think I can do this calorie counting thing. I hate it but I see the results. It's empowering.

For those of you asking about the number calories, yes, there are rules of thumb, such as multiplying your weight in pounds by 10 for a sedentary lifestyle or 13 for a very active lifestyle. The only way to do it though is to stay consistent and not "look the other way" when you go over your limit.

The other thing I'm doing is giving myself a point system. For every bit of exercise I do other than my normal sitting around I give myself points and each point is worth 100 calories. It's a great motivator. If I exercise I get to eat more. The points are very much on the low side, meaning I'm actually using up more calories than just 100 per point so I'm still ahead of the game.

Then, every few days I'll give myself a bonus say 500 extra calories. It allows for the body AND mind to relax as well as feeling like the reward it is.

Well, just wanted to share in the hopes that something may help someone else.

Miss P, best movie? Gosh, there is no way I can answer that. I've just seen too many movies and at different times in my life I'd have to say certain ones were great influencers, but overall, I don't think there's any one I could say was my favorite. I mean, I loved The Wizard of Oz when I was a kid and I think I saw Paper Moon over and over and listened to the soundtrack album over and over as a kid as well but I certainly don't know why now that it got to me as it did then. I guess I had a crush on Ryan O'Neal (spelling?) and I loved Tatum's attitude in the movie. As an adult, wow, there have been so many cool movies but I forget them very quickly. I guess I'm not really into them like some people are.

Ok, must go. I am exhausted from lack of sleep after doing a night shift at work yesterday and now have a very full day of work ahead of me. Beer, too, will be a temptation tonight but I will try, for the first time, to actually calculate in the calories, instead of throwing all care to the four winds!!! Wish me luck!!