Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 01:25 PM   #31  

Hello Ladies,

Hopefully those two swift kicks got me back on track. I did walk yesterday morning for my 3 mile walk, knee was still sore, but I have a appointment today to see my doctor. I think part is age, part is from playing softball (catching for 10 years) & part from my kickboxing class. I"m sure my weight doesn't help. Anyway we'll see what he says. I have a pretty busy weekend ahead. My parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary. We had planned a big celebration in San Antonio, but my dad got the shingles about a 1 - 1 1/2 months ago, & it has really slowed him down. So we cancelled the big party & now we're having a BBQ with just the family in town.

Thin & Mooz - thanks for the kick & now here's one back to you all , ok it's not a kick, but it's a rolling pin... same message..

Cat - Wishing you a happy belated birthday!

Chacha - I never pay attention to the worm virsus, I guess cause I really am not that computer literate, but anyway one of the girls showed me how to update & when i went to microsoft & updated I had like 17 updates to do, so I have been doing them in the evening. So I should be protected now.

Mitchellez - keeping you all in my prayers...

Hal, Nita, - hope you all are having a great day!
Old 08-14-2003, 06:15 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Good Afternoon Ladies,

You guessed it--it is still hot here today. I have been watching the news about the power outages in Cleveland, New York, Detroit and Toronto. I talked to my DD in Ohio and she said it is quite hot and humid there and she isn't sure what they can do without power. This is pretty scary, even though they say it is not related to terrorism. It just goes to show you we never know what can happen from one day to another.

I went to a seminar on financial planning today and I am very proud to say that I did not take the cake that was offered as dessert. The couple next to me were eating theirs and I almost wanted to ask them if it was tasty and did I miss something, but I opted not to. I have to get back into the mode for sewing. For some reason every now and then I lose interest. However, as I am writing this post I am putting Daisy Duck on a pair of short of mine. I thought that would get me going.

I am going to make a vegeterian tortilla for dinner tonight and if it comes out good I will share the recipe. It is very simple and I found it in a lowfat cookbook. Sometimes I just have to try something different. I am one of those people who gets bored very easy.

Well I had better get going so I can finish the embroidery and then make dinner.

Take care and "remember, we are on this journey together."

Anita
Old 08-14-2003, 06:56 PM   #33  
mej

Hey, gals! Got home this afternoon - good time at the lake, but i am always ready to come home, too! Just DD and i came home today - she has to work, I have Realy for Life cancer walk tomorrow. DM did pretty well - we swear she has developed a tapeworm or something - all she did was eat! It is just so hard to see her all slumped over and barely able to fee herself, but don't know - this could still last a long time!

I have been watching the news of the blackouts - scary thing, and we certainly do think immediately of terrorism. Hope all stay safe until they get things fixed. Makes me glad to live in my tiny little village!

Still trying to get caught up on the posts - I have missed you guys! I will join some of the rest of you in getting serious now - i ate way too much at the lake, too! Have that wedding coming i a month - would like to be about 10 pound lighter and get something new to wear.

DD will start moving tomorrow, then I need to get classroom ready - vacation is about over.
Sorry no individual posts - I will read up and talk to you all tomorrow!
Old 08-14-2003, 11:59 PM   #34  
Give peace a chance.

Default good evening

Wow, sounds like so many of you have been having great adventures--motorcycling, family get-togethers etc.

Michelle--hope you get a chance at least to lurk.

WI--back under 190~!!!!!

Need to get to sleep.

Best to all--catlover
Old 08-15-2003, 07:15 AM   #35  
Mooz

Good Morning Chickies - The weather is beautiful here this morning so I must make good use of it and get some clothes washed and dried outside. I have been for a walk already.
Orla got her exam results yesterday. She was doing Advanced Level Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Art and she got A's in them all. I am so proud of her. She has another year to do before she goes to university but at least she does not have to repeat any. She is dropping Chemistry as she only needs 3 subjects at whetever grade the university requires them depending on the course she takes.

Chacha - I hope you have a nice time at the wedding.

Mej - heard about those blackouts too - scary stuff. They mentioned the weather causing it which I could believe as that was what caused our blackout last week.

Nita - I hope your vegeterian tortilla turns out well and then it will be something else for us to try.

Patty - Ouch!! that rolling pin hurt
but if it helps then it will be worth it.

Catlover - well done for getting under 190........ just lets you see what you can do when you put your mind to it.

Thin - your trip to th lake sounds wonderful - don't forget your camera as I would love to see some pictures.

To everyone have a great OP day.

Up to you

One way or another, you will get something accomplished today. Exactly what you get accomplished is up to you.
The hours of this day will go by, no matter what you do. What you get from them is up to you.

The world is filled with challenges, frustrations, joys and opportunities. What you make of them is up to you. Some of the people around you will praise you and encourage you, others will curse you and oppose you, still others will ignore you. Yet the way you respond is completely up to you.

You can hide away from life or you can dive into its glorious richness. Some people will help you, others will hurt you, yet no one can live your own unique life for you. The way you experience this priceless gift of life is now and always up to you.

-- Ralph Marston
Old 08-15-2003, 01:52 PM   #36  

Hello Ladies,

I am oh so ready for the weekend. Went to the doctor yesterday & he said alot is probably from playing softball. When he moved my kneecap, you could hear some grinding. He gave me a samples of celebrex to take to help with the swelling, even though I didn't see any swelling it says it is inside. Also that if I don't see a difference in 7-10 days that my next step it to go see a orthopedic(sp).

Cat - WTG for getting back under 190...

Mooz - WTG for getting your walk in today.

Mej - glad you had a fun trip. Hope you all get great weather for you Relay for cancer. I'm doing the diabetes walk in sept.

Nita - WTG for skipping the cake. I know that must of been very tempting.

Mitchellez, Hal, Chacha, Thin - Hope you all are having a great day!
Old 08-15-2003, 07:18 PM   #37  

Hi Everyone,

Well my family was hit by the blackout in Cleveland. I did talk to one of my DD and she said it did not come back on until 4:00 a.m. Because my DD place did not have an alarm system and even if they did without electricity it would not work, therefore, she and another woman stayed there until morning in the dark. It's amazing what we take for granted can be gone in a second! Perhaps this will be a wakeup call for the rest of the country.

Well I have not weighed this whole week but I have to weigh on Sunday and if I gain--I will not put the scale back in the shed. I don't know why I place so much on what the scale says. Each time I am out and about I always check my blood pressure on those machines and it is always very low and that really makes me realize all this exercise and good eating I am doing is paying off.

Here is the recipe I used yesterday evening and my DH really enjoyed it. It's called Mexican Confetti Dip but you can also put about 1/4 cup in a Flour tortilla and that is what we did.

1 12 ounce can whole kernal corn, drained
1 15.5 ounce can black beans, drained
1/3 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
1 16-ounce jar of your favorite chunky salsa

Mix all togther, Chill. Presto! You're done! Serve with Baked Tostito Chips.
Serves 6 Calories: 127
Total Fat: 1 Gram
Carbs 23 grams
Dietary Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 5 grams
Sodium: 685 mg.
Prep Time: 5 minutes

I didn't use fat-free dressing--that is up to you. This was very filling.

Have a super weekend!
Anita
Old 08-16-2003, 11:36 AM   #38  
mej

Good morning gals. It is a very hot day here, no let-up predicted until early in the week. UGh - haven't missed having air yet this summer, but this might be rough.

The Relay for Life cancer walk was beautiful last evening, despite the heat! After the sun went down and all the thousands of luminaries were lit around the track, it became quite pleasant. We raised over $100, 000, so we met the goal. I stayed until about 1 am , then came home.

Nita - hope all is back to normal for your family - we sure do take a lot for granted here!

Patty - hope you find the answer for your knee problem - sounds like you might be on the right track.

Going to try and lay low today - must get some groceries. Plan to go to a block party this evening if it isn't too hot. Has anyone heard from Michellez - know she said she would be busy, but I am worried about her. Are you there, Michellez?

Wishing everyone a good weekend.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:54 AM   #39  

Hi everyone --

I'm still here....lurking when I can, which unfortunately isn't too often. I feel so bad that I haven't been able to keep up with what's going on with all of you, or even check in.

I'm doing okay. Mej, I'm sure you know how it is...some days are better than others. Some days all I feel like doing is crying and other days I'm able to cope better.

This weekend, I'm going to work more on my DH's website for his business, and we just got back from the library where we checked out several books on starting up a business and marketing a small business, etc. because since his job search is going slower than we would want we really need this business to take off as fast as possible and need to do whatever's necessary to make that happen, but we don't know where to start.

He's got a "job" doing sound for the band tonight. So he'll make about $50 there... not a huge windfall, but better than nothing and he does enjoy doing that. I'll be home in the air conditioning on the computer.

Sounds like you all are busy enjoying your weekend and remaining summer days. I really miss connecting with you all on a regular basis.

Sending angels to all of you who need them. And I appreciate all your angels and prayers for me, my family and my DH's job situation.

Love and hugs to all of you wonderful friends! I really do miss you all and truly appreciate all your support, caring and friendship.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:06 PM   #40  

Good Afternoon MEJ and Michellez,

Great to hear from both of you. Just a quick note to let you know I read some very good information in the new WW magazine. One of the things they mentioned was that if we have hit a plateau in our weightloss journey we should just try and maintain for a while and then start again. They have also come up with a new plan--one where instead of banking your points, you get 35 points per week to use any way you want to. I haven't really digested this new concept but at first glance it might work. The other item was instead of starting to count your points at breakfast to start counting them at dinner and carry it over to lunch the next day. Just another way so not to be doing the same thing every day.

My family back in Ohio have got their electricity back on but they have to boil their water for at least another 24 hours. My sister is home from the hospital and seems to be doing okay. I will be staying with her the weekend of Oct. 10th.

Well I wish you both a restful weekend and to those of you who may read this Have a Happy Weekend!

Anita
Old 08-17-2003, 05:33 PM   #41  
Give peace a chance.

Michelle--
good to hear from you. What kind of business is DH trying to start? Maybe that will be the solution to the problem. I was just reading how many qualified people can't get jobs--or have to take low-paying jobs.

Today I cleaned the house, balanced the checkbook, bought groceries. Fell pretty virtuous.

Nita--it is 103 here, and we feel sorry for ourselves. Guess it's good we don't live in AZ.

Need to feed animals before late church.

Best to all--
Catlover
Old 08-18-2003, 10:05 AM   #42  

Hi Catlover --

My DH is starting a business where if people need their computer fixed he'll come to their home or small business and fix it or upgrade their hardware or software or hook up a new printer or scanner or show them how to hook up a digital camera, etc. Or if they have two computers and want them "networked" together so they can share files, etc.

Pretty much anything computer related for the home or small office...he'll do it.

I've got a couple more pages to do for the website, and then we can start marketing the company full force.

I think we'd both rather he get a full-time job as a steady paycheck would be better....but if that doesn't work out in the very near future....hopefully this will take off and bring in good money...some income would be a good thing.

Last edited by michellez; 08-18-2003 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:07 PM   #43  
Mooz

Goodday chicks - sorry I have not been here for a few days. I am feeling a bit down as Paul is at this moment on his way to the airport - he will arrive in Sydney in about 26 hours time. I feel ok most of the time but then othertimes I just want to cry. He will be gone until the end of November. I guess I will just have to get used to it. So I got the following in an e-mail today and it gave me a few chuckles so I thought I'd pass the chuckles on and maybe make someone else smile today.

ROMANCE MATHEMATICS

Smart man + smart woman = romance

Smart man + dumb woman = affair

Dumb man + smart woman = marriage

Dumb man + dumb woman = pregnancy

OFFICE ARITHMETIC

Smart boss + smart employee = profit

Smart boss + dumb employee = production

Dumb boss + smart employee = promotion

Dumb boss + dumb employee = overtime

SHOPPING MATH

A man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs.

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need.

GENERAL EQUATIONS & STATISTICS

A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband.

A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife.

A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can
spend.

A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

HAPPINESS

To be happy with a man, you must understand him a lot and love
him a little.

To be happy with a woman, you must love her a lot and not try to
understand her at all.

LONGEVITY

Married men live longer than single men do, but married men are
a lot more
willing to die.

PROPENSITY TO CHANGE

A woman marries a man expecting he will change, but he doesn't.

A man marries a woman expecting that she won't change, and she
does.

DISCUSSION TECHNIQUE

A woman has the last word in any argument.

Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new
argument.

HOW TO STOP PEOPLE FROM BUGGING YOU ABOUT GETTING
MARRIED

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the
ribs and
cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I
started doing the same
thing to them at funerals.

SEND THIS TO A SMART WOMAN WHO NEEDS A LAUGH AND TO
THE SMART
GUYS YOU KNOW
CAN HANDLE IT.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:59 PM   #44  

Hi Mooz and Michellez

Evidently everyone is having a very busy Monday. Mooz, I enjoyed your humor this morning. I needed that. By chance have you ever heard any more from our mutual friend "TAZ"?

Michellez -- Your husband's new business sounds like it could take off. All he needs is to get started with a few clients and the word will travel. There are so many people out there who have these computers but have no idea on how to get the most out of them. I really think your husband is on the right track. I think about you a lot and I know how frustrated you must be to be away from your family. My DS in Ohio had a stroke about 1-1/2 weeks ago. I spoke to her this weekend and she is not thinking very positive. I will be staying with her the weekend of October 10th. I am trying to convince her to come out for a couple of weeks this winter.

Well ladies I am not doing well on my eating. I am very frustrated and to add to that Phoenix is now having a gasoline supply problem because of a busted pipeline. People are waiting 3 and 4 hours in gas lines. Therefore, I opted to save my gas and not go to the Center. However, I did manage to get in 35 min. on my treadmill early this morning. I believe I will be having a Slimfast (strawberry) for lunch and I may add a banana to it.

I hope all the rest of our internet sisters are doing well and have a great week!

Take care,
Anita
Old 08-18-2003, 10:57 PM   #45  
Give peace a chance.

Well, folks, they are postponing DH's surgery because his potassium level was too low. Bummer!

Nita--sorry to hear about your sister. Strokes are nasty.

Good night, all.
Closed Thread