Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 06:56 PM   #136  
novabubble

Vickie, sometimes I add a bit of the juice from dill pickles to "thin" mayonnaise. Or else I add mustard, esp if it's for potato salad.

I'm still in my holding pattern and it seems to be going ok.

I hadn't even thought of potato salad being core, so thank you for that, Nita!

Vicki if you want to try meat free, check out some of the recipes with beans in them. they are very filling. I like eating meatless meals and my DH's daughter is a vegetarian, so that has pushed me to think about options. We don't eat red meat at all in our home and the bean dishes give a great change from fish-chicken-chicken-fish. Living without cheese has been more of a challenge. We don't get FF cheese here and I refuse to use low fat cheese in any case-- just too YUCK. But I'd have to say that I'm eating more milk and cottage cheese now than I used to and feeling better for it too.

I'm travelling for a week so don't know if I'll be able to post or not. Take care, everyone!
Old 10-17-2004, 12:00 PM   #137  
Southside White Sox Fan

Robin, I love the mustard in the potato salad idea. That will defintely help get rid of the flatness. I'll also try the "meatless" approach using beans. My hubby is a real meat eater though. He's been real supportive so I hate to try to take his meat away and I'm not going to make two meals. Maybe I can make a real hearty side dish that could be my main meal and give him a steak to go with it. I'll have to ponder that!

Have a safe trip and we'll talk when you get back.

Sheila, I'm in the majority at my meeting of folks on Core but it's not as extreme as your experience. I would say about a third of us are on Core. You know change is hard and scary for folks. For some, it will take hearing about our success before they get brave enough to try it. I also don't think WW has supported it enough. The Leaders are surprisingly uninformed and many haven't even tried it themselves yet. So I think it's a great idea but the introduction could have been better. JMHO.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:03 PM   #138  
Southside White Sox Fan

Linda and Heather, I just noticed this past week that I seem to always have better luck with one of the two scales at my center. I was thinking about saying I would only weigh in on the one scale but thought people would think I was being silly. But....evidently, I'm just slow at figuring things out!
Old 10-17-2004, 06:45 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 193.2/193.2/160

Hi All,
I've been lurking today and just figured I'd introduce myself. I'm starting Core tomorrow. I did WW a while back and just got sick and tired of counting points .
I'm a 42-year-old SAHM of a darling 4-year-old boy and I'm married to my high school sweetheart. I also have my own proofreading business.
I hope I get to know some of you and I'm sure I'll be learning a lot from you all as I've learned a lot just in lurking today!

Doreen
Old 10-17-2004, 08:18 PM   #140  
Southside White Sox Fan

Welcome, Doreen! I have family on the Jersey Shore. Hope you are very successful and post often. Come on in.....the Core waters are great.

You got me though...SAHM?
Old 10-18-2004, 06:42 AM   #141  

Hi Vickie,
I'm a stay-at-home mom that has her own at-home business (I should have clarified that one a little better). Thanks for your warm welcome!

Doreen
Old 10-18-2004, 10:51 AM   #142  
Southside White Sox Fan

I made this recipe last night and it was fabulous. Chicken Wild Rice and Spaghetti. I had to add a tablespoon of cornstarch to get it to thicken but it was quite yummy. Serve it with green beans and a salad. Hubby can't wait to have it again. I used quick cook wild rice even though the recipe doesn't specify.

http://www.barbosdietkitchen.com/archive.pl?read=11794
Old 10-18-2004, 04:23 PM   #143  
Closed

Hi Doreen and Welcome!! Best of luck with Core.....I think you will enjoy it and you will certainly enjoy the camrody here. Lots of good ideas and as you have already read good recipes.
I was a BIG hold out on Core for a LONG time..and now I don't think I could do Pts again. Each week when I w/i I say Ok today I'll restart points again, and then boom, another loss with Core so I stay with it. I really like it, never thought I'd say that. I have been very successful losing every week since starting it. I 've always done pts, the last 4 weeks have been Core with a total loss of 8 lbs., losing more on certain w/i but if you want to balance it out, which I don't like to do, but it comes to 2 lbs a week. So good luck on your journey and keep us posted.
Well now that I have welcome Doreen, you all know I lost again this week. DOWN another pound. Can't believe it. I keep thinking I'm going to return to Core and like I said, boom another loss....so why mess with something that is (also) working, cause lets face it I did lose all my weight on Pts. But the past 4 weeks on Core have been good losses and continually.....so I staying with it another week......
Hope every one is doing well....I'll check back later to read all that I didn't get the chance to in the past couple of days.........have a great day out there.........
talk with you later.............Linda (L.J)
Old 10-18-2004, 04:28 PM   #144  
Closed

PS - Vickie you are quite the cook!! That one sounds good too, although last night I actually cooked too...made Chicken Parmigian - soooo dee-lish......All core of course, and for dessert later on.........of course "my" banana cream" pie, but this time I put a bed of SF/FF choc pudding on the bottom of the SMALL dessert dish, then layered with sliced banana and 36g of FF coolwhip (1pt) I'm here to tell you ....it was TOO darn good.......Gotta love it............Just thought I'd share....Talk with you all later..............Linda
Old 10-18-2004, 04:48 PM   #145  

My trick is Frank's Red Hot Sauce. I like spicy things so I add it to about everything. Especially eggs and even on my popcorn. One other trick I found out is that if you add some olive oil to potato salad it keeps it rich and creamy and even after it's been in the fridge. You know how you always want to add more mayo after sitting in there? Well if you add a touch of olive oil you won't have to. Not a lot, just a little.

BTW, I lost 1.6 more this week!! YIPPEE!!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 06:40 AM   #146  

Linda, thanks for the warm welcome, and congrats to you on your losses, and to everyone else. Keep up the terrific work.

Doreen
Old 10-19-2004, 10:20 AM   #147  
Southside White Sox Fan

Linda, I do LOVE to cook. Unfortunately, I love to eat it too! My defense has always been to try out as many of the recipes as I can. I'd much rather make a dish then eat plain potato and plain chicken/steak. I still do that when I'm sick of cooking. But, for the most part, I make a big dinner and dessert every day. Hubby's blood sugar is even improving. This is good for both of us. Tonight, chicken with olives and couscous!
Old 10-19-2004, 04:46 PM   #148  
Closed

Vickie you're amazing!! I am the opposite (LOL) I'd rather the plain chicken and potato, and call it a day!! I envy you....but because of what you post, I am becoming better...so thanks.
Cous-Cous, now that is something that can be a RED light food for me. Sometimes when I get in from work, I will cook a serving of that to halt my hunger. Matter of fact I just had a cup of it... Counting pts, I never ate Cous-Cous. Tonights it's plain chicken :-) and sliced potatos for me!! My husband will be having the same thing or he can fix himself hot dogs (hahaha) Since going off pts and starting core I do have to admit I fix more meals. On pts I thought nothing of popping a Lean Cusine in the Micro and my husband fixed what he wanted....at least now we 'share' a meal :-) and he likes that.
I have had a feeling of picking these past two days, but don't know why...any one have any ideas or felt something similar?? I good but I feel like I'm getting itchy for something....not to worry it will past. Maybe I just miss REAL ice cream, MY BIGGEST downfall-ok everyone give me some good support here!!!! tell me it will be ok cause I'm thinking it will and I WILL not give in..
Can't wait to see how I do Saturday. Anyone figure out yet how and WHY core works as well as it does. I don't get the science behind it, does any one else??

Thanks Doreen for the vote of confidence.....this is what this board is all about.
I come here for inspiration and motivation and Vickie's GREAT recipes :- :-)
Well I have to go for now, just stopping by and checking in....
How is everyone esle doing???? Let us know!!
Janette...where are you??? Miss hearing from ya!!! Is 'everything' ok???
Talk with you all later.........Linda
Old 10-19-2004, 11:37 PM   #149  

Default Hello!

As Vicki suggested I thought I would check out the core board. I read the last post about missing real ice-cream....Ice Cream has always been one of my downfalls as well. I just got through eating a Sillhoute Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwich and it was sooo good! It is only 2 points, and it is a fairly big round ice cream sandwich. I love them, and love that they do not "cost" alot. I try to use as little flex points as I can, but tonight I really felt I needed it! It is almost that TOM and I always CRAVE sweets just before starting! That is usually when I have my toughest time eating. In the past I have made it for a few weeks on a diet, and then when that time came around I caved....... But this time, I will not succumb to temptation. I will make sure I have things on hand such as the skinny cow ice-cream to help me get through without blowing my diet.

I do have a question ....my husband came home today excited because he said he saw some Whole Wheat Tortillas in the grocery store. I told him I did not think that would be considered Core, we would have to count the points on them if we used them. I wanted to check with y'all to see if anyone knew this for a fact? I figured it was just like the whole wheat bread...we count the points. Just wanted to check with y'all since I did not see it in my booklet I was given.

It is time for bed here, I better get off and make sure all the kiddos are asleep.

Night!!
Old 10-20-2004, 05:42 AM   #150  
Southside White Sox Fan

Hi Linda! I hope you know I'm not being a cooking "snob". Some days I have to force myself to cook because I know me.....I'll quit if I get bored. You hubby sounds like a great sport. Mine is too, but he defintely expects some type of shared meal that I prepare!!!!! I'll continue to share links for the recipes that I try that are good. Really, none of them have been hard. Lots of opening up cans of beans and tomatoes! That's why I got so excited about the Chicken Wild Rice Spaghetti. No tomatoes! I was getting real tired of all the entrees having tomatoes in them.

As far as your missing ice cream, I understand completely. I'm missing chocolate. I've convinced myself that the craving is in my head and not my body so I'm not going to indulge. I always try not to use my WPA's unless I really need them. Most times when the cravings come it is enough to know that I can have them (whatever "it" is) if I really need to. I also don't keep chocolate or nuts in the house because I can be weak. So far it hasn't turned into a real "need". I keep trying to avoid using my points for sugar because I think the absence of sugar is one of the things that makes Core work. JMHO. I have this idea that if I start eating sugar, I won't be as satisfied as I have been on Core. Just a theory!

Welcome, Teri! I'm so glad you decided to stop by. Hope you post often. It sounds like your husband is terrific and supportive. So is mine, and I think that can be terribly important. I think I remember that you just started Core recently. For the reasons above, if I were you I would try to stay away from the sugar for a little while. JMHO. I would substitute with the fat free pudding and other sugar free "stuff". I can dig up some recipes for you that might help. I have a terrific chocolate mousse and a caramel apple delight. Both are VERY easy to make, very sweet, and very satisfying. Many of us also love the SF/FF banana cream pudding with a bit of FF Cool Whip. We think it tastes like a banana cream pie....don't we?!!!!

I can't check on the whole wheat tortillas for you right now since the rest of the house is asleep and my books are not here with me. I'm pretty sure they aren't Core because there is still lard and sugar in them. I check later and post. That said, I've had the ones from Trader Joe's and they aren't bad! Might be worth the WPA's!
Closed Thread