Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #316  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Height: 5'7"

It worked! Down to 161.8 this morning after doing the P1 day Saturday and a lower carb P3 day yesterday. Woohoo!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #317  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMom View Post
Hi everyone!

I am 3 pounds from goal (REALLY??! ) and unsure of when to begin Phase 2. As some of you know from previous posts, I have had a horrible time with hair loss since July (and it is continuing). I have lost about 75% of my hair's volume, and, in some places, scalp is showing through.

I don't know if I should move to Phase 2 next week or hold off until I see my goal weight on the scale. I feel like I may want to get to 150 (rather than my original goal of 155), but the hair loss is ridiculous, and because it will take time to grow back, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and move to Phase 2. Wondering how much weight I will lose in Phases 2 and 3...is it possible I could wind up close to the 150? The other thing holding me back is that I am completely terrified of leaving the structure and comfort of Phase 1. I have been reading the maintenance boards, and I have ZERO idea of how to put together any sort of Phase 4 meals or Phase 3 breakfasts. All the rules seem so complicated and overwhelming. Do I want to add in that stress during the holidays?

Any insight from you awesome maintainers would be fantastic!
Have you tried hair extensions or anything? I know Liana has some good recommendations for some sites that sell them.

As for phasing off, I think you need to make the decision that you're most comfortable with. Moving to P2 isn't hard planning wise, it's just uncomfortable for some people because of all the extra protein. I myself didn't lose much in P2 (others did) but I have lost in p3, so it's possible you will reach your goal weight during the phase off time. So, if you move to Phase 2 next Monday...that will put you in P3 still through Christmas. There are tons of recipe ideas and people on here that can help you plan the breakfast meals. You won't hit P4 until after Christmas, so things might be more calm then to really dive in to the maintenance planning. Someone who's been maintaining for awhile might have better advice (I'm just starting), but I completely understand the struggle of whether it's the right time. As others told me, you have to go with your gut. Let us know what you decide to do. We're here to help!
Old 11-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #318  

S/C/G: 164.5/131.4/130

Height: 5'2.5"

Good Morning! I have been hanging around reading just not posting much but I am taking everything in trying to wrap my head around maintenance!!! Today is day 1 of P4. I am excited that Thanksgiving day will be my free day this first week and then I am planning on doing a P1 day Friday. My weight has been hovering between 130.8 and 131.8 so I am happy about that...just hoping to be able to maintain around there! I love being able to come here and read everybody's posts - it helps out so much that all of us are going through some of the same issues! I am off work until Friday so today is clean the house and laundry day for me!!!!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #319  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Pishposh- isn't great to have the tools, love IP!

refreshingMe, Allme, and Marylandmom. Congrats on your loses moving thru and/or getting ready to move thru the phases. Like Ruth Ann said most of us struggled about the decision of when to stop. In the end you need to do what feels right and maintainable. You can always maintain for a month or so and see. Adding exercise may still help with the inches. I think many of us lost in P2 & P3, I lost 4 I think.

Marylandmom, I used my Fitnesspal to figure out the breakfasts and took some ideas from the recipe thread here. I didn't like IP suggestions so much. I found that I would rotate between 3-4 ones that I liked a knew worked for me. I keep to P3 but have added some extra snacks -almonds along with a shake each day, sometimes a tblp of almond butter ( I work out 5xs a week so need a little extra), and occassional card with low fat dinner. Check out the menus people post. I suck at posting cuz iPad doesn't let me copy from MFP. I will try more.

Sounds like many of us got a nice rest this weekend

Liana - did I read that DH and you booked a lovely trip in the sun
Old 11-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #320  
started IP on Feb.27,2014

S/C/G: 217.6/128.2/132

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyE View Post
Good Morning! I have been hanging around reading just not posting much but I am taking everything in trying to wrap my head around maintenance!!! Today is day 1 of P4. I am excited that Thanksgiving day will be my free day this first week and then I am planning on doing a P1 day Friday. My weight has been hovering between 130.8 and 131.8 so I am happy about that...just hoping to be able to maintain around there! I love being able to come here and read everybody's posts - it helps out so much that all of us are going through some of the same issues! I am off work until Friday so today is clean the house and laundry day for me!!!!
I am also just starting p4. My first day is Thanksgiving and it will be my fist fun with wine and other great carbs. I am not going to go crazy but have a few if the things I love. Friday back to p1.

I have not gained any weight in p2or p3 so far.

I am also afraid of gaining it all back. I have learned a lot about my food choices from IP and I know that processed foods were the worst for me.
I will not be bringing those items into my house never mind my body. Good wholesome foods in moderation is going to be my motto.

Happy Thanksgiving yo all
Debby
Old 11-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #321  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Marylandmom: If you have a clinic & coach MAKE SURE they link you with the Phase 3/4 videos. If not, ask a bunch of questions and we will help as best as we can. The biggest factor is the dissociation of carbs and fats and having protein at every meal. One meal is 3:1 carb to fat, and the other is 3:1 fat to carb. Breakfast is a bit of anything goes.... some of everything. Most of us have found that maintenance doesn't take to strict numbers (how many carb grams or how many fat grams) as it does to careful RATIOS. MFP helps a lot with looking at the ratios for each meal. You can always plug in a sample meal you were thinking of to see how it looks macro ratiowise. (not a real word, but hopefully understandable )

Good goin, Posh, as Jenny said, great to have the tools! Mwahahaha, yes, Jenny38, we have booked for Cabo! (Our first time in that part of Mexico) Doing it on our own, with a little (20 room) locally owned hotel after a bit of sleuthing on the web. Congrats on your 7th!

My DH is freshly retired (only for the winter season) and antsy as all getout! In the interests of trying to keep him busy (& me from going crazy)I may enlist him in my wig 'modelling' post. He can be my photographer or fashion assistant, lol. I will do a separate thread with links to some good wig sites and maybe the title will be searchable for those having hair loss issues (I will try to find an existing IP hair loss thread first to add to).

Liana
Old 11-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #322  
started IP 6/21/14

S/C/G: SCG: 156/125/125

Height: 5'4"

PishPosh - just logging in now and catching up, saw your post on the daily chat from a few days back. YAY FOR PEPLUMS! I bet you will look fabulous!

MarylandMom - the other ladies gave you a lot of great advice, which I echo. As for the hair loss, this is something I've been dealing with as well, and it's awful - my sympathies. It's hard to work for a healthier body and lifestyle just to have your hair fall out. It will grow back, but when you're staring at handfuls in the shower it's impossible to accept. I phased off 2 lbs shy of my goal because of the hair loss - I lost nothing in P2, but I did lose a pound in P3, and I yo-yo on my last pound in P4. Sometimes I hit 125, the next day I'll be up, but then I go back down again. That's life in maintenance My hair loss DID accelerate when I moved into maintenance, but I do have days now where it's less, so I'm hopeful it's finally starting to slow. Taking biotin will help your existing hair to grow faster, as well as keep all those new little baby hairs that grow in to stay healthy and strong. After Thanksgiving I'm going to make an appointment at a salon near me that specializes in hair extensions. I figure there's no harm in checking it out.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #323  

Can someone explain the 3:1 ratio to me? I am just not getting this piece. I get that you separate your carbs and fat and have a fat at lunch and carb at dinner (or reverse) but I need halo with the 3:1 ratio. Thanks for any help!!!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #324  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Hello Maintainers!

I did a quickie readthrough of everyone, but not too much time to post. Thinking of all of you - will check in more tomorrow!

Thanks, Slipfree, for mentioning St. Louis. I just saw they are not going to take the police officer to trial. I have to say that I am thankful to be in Colorado this week - mostly for my hubby who works in St. Louis proper. I am also praying for peace and cool heads to prevail. Violence will not solve anything.

We have had a run of good luck and bad luck on our trip so far. Good luck is we beat a major winter storm by just a few hours. Bad luck is that my son has a virus (started with vomiting and now running a high fever). BUT, we're snowed in anyway having had 14" of snow in the past 2 days. Calling for a little more tomorrow, so may end up with 20" altogether. Sure hoping my son starts feeling better soon so we can go play in it!

Eating has been a challenge, but I'm doing pretty well and staying within my calories. Some annoying family drama came up with in-laws....so hopefully that will chill out. I really did want to shove a plateful of pie in my face.

But I abstained! With my son being sick, I haven't been able to do any exercise and am feeling bloated.

Take care all!!!!!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #325  

Height: 5'2

Hmm, I did not know anything about these Phase 3/4 videos. I feel like I didn't really know much about maintenance when I was finished Phase 1 but at the same time I didn't continue seeing my coach regularly like I should have. I hope I get it right the second time around!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #326  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quick check in (since I'm supposed to be working).

evemomma - hope your son feels better soon! Terrible to be sick on vacation! And congrats for not planting your face in the pie - I have felt like that several times lately and it's not easy!

SallyE - The 3:1 ratio is just what it says - three times as many carbs (I use net) as fat for one meal and then 3 times as much fat than carbs for the other meal. I don't always get the ratios exactly right but come close enough. I posted yesterday's menu in the what are you eating thread, that might give you a better idea of how it works.

I really feel for those of you losing hair - I was super lucky, I lost some but not enough to notice since I had a lot of hair to begin with. I usually curse my thick, curly, unruly hair but for once I was glad to have it! From what I've seen, it will grow back just very frustrating in the meantime.

Back to work I go!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #327  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Quick check in (since I'm supposed to be working).

evemomma - hope your son feels better soon! Terrible to be sick on vacation! And congrats for not planting your face in the pie - I have felt like that several times lately and it's not easy!

SallyE - The 3:1 ratio is just what it says - three times as many carbs (I use net) as fat for one meal and then 3 times as much fat than carbs for the other meal. I don't always get the ratios exactly right but come close enough. I posted yesterday's menu in the what are you eating thread, that might give you a better idea of how it works.

I really feel for those of you losing hair - I was super lucky, I lost some but not enough to notice since I had a lot of hair to begin with. I usually curse my thick, curly, unruly hair but for once I was glad to have it! From what I've seen, it will grow back just very frustrating in the meantime.

Back to work I go!
Thanks so much Ruth Ann that helps!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #328  

S/C/G: 238/238/165

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishposhappelsauce View Post
It worked! Down to 161.8 this morning after doing the P1 day Saturday and a lower carb P3 day yesterday. Woohoo!
AWESOME!! What a great job!!
Old 11-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #329  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Eve - Hope you son feels better soon and gets to play outside. I'm glad you made it down safe. Ahh the family drama, sometimes it can't be avoided. Good luck and hope the rest of the holiday goes smooth.

Liana - great idea about the thread for wigs and extensions, seems to be a real concern for many people. I have noticed some more hair coming out as I have phased off but it seems better now.

Well I was ready to throw my scale out yesterday, it had me above my scream weight 162.5 which the rational logical side of jen knew that it was about the salt in the chicken stew we had sunday night and not real weight but is stilled anoyed me. Today was a Woosh back down to 158.8 which puts me back in my happy place! Sunday and Monday were both P1 and it worked! I do find it hard tho to do an "honest" P1 without and off plan eating which makes me a little worried going forward.

Does anyone else find that challenging on reset days?
Old 11-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #330  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny38 View Post

Well I was ready to throw my scale out yesterday, it had me above my scream weight 162.5 which the rational logical side of jen knew that it was about the salt in the chicken stew we had sunday night and not real weight but is stilled anoyed me. Today was a Woosh back down to 158.8 which puts me back in my happy place! Sunday and Monday were both P1 and it worked! I do find it hard tho to do an "honest" P1 without and off plan eating which makes me a little worried going forward.

Does anyone else find that challenging on reset days?
Yes Jenny! Reset days are challenging but necessary to stay in control and keep maintaining. My P1 days are not exactly like when I was on the plan but I try to keep the carbs as low as possible and drink lots of water and stay lower calorie. I retain water easy so I am working at not panicking and to keep working at maintaining when I see the scale go up a few lbs. it will go up and down a few lbs all the time. I realize that there are a number of factors that affect it including salt intake, alcohol and higher carbs. I think you are doing great! You seem to know exactly what to do with your up lbs. it doesn't mean it's easy that's for sure! But, I can totally relate to the challenge of P1 days!!
Closed Thread