Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #226  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
hey ladies...happy to report that week 2 of maintenance brought a 1 pound loss. no exercises this week either, am trying this approach of maintenance for 3 weeks, and then adding in weight training. so looking forward to that after next week. hopefully another week of maintaining is ahead of me. i'm kind of doing my own thing, doing a little reading about south beach dieting, trying to add whole foods and some fruits but not many, not many, still scared about those high carb fruits!! its all an experiment after all!! haha

hope everyone is plugging along and doing great!!

much love
susan
Hi Susan - good to hear from you. Glad to hear that your run at maintenance is going well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post
I heard that you should imagine that you just saw a roach crawl over the food you know you shouldn't eat. So I would suggest thinking about liver and brownies and ice cream with a couple of fat roaches wiggling around on top!
Yes, the thought of roach infested food would do it. For me, the thought of somebody (with an obvious cold) sneezing on the food item would do it too! Yuk....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebRover View Post
On a good note....Strike that - on a GREAT WONDERFUL Fantabulous note:

Today is my official weigh in morning and I'm at 159.6 pounds. That's exactly the top weight for a healthy BMI at my height. Woo Hoo! I'm at a NORMAL weight.

So I'm down into another decade, the 150's.
I've lost over 50 pounds--over 30 on the IP protocol.
I'm within 5 pounds of my long-term target goal, 155.

When I get to 155, I'll probably move my goal down another 10 pounds. We'll see. That's for a future celebration.
Congratulations!

------------------

A very snowy, blowy day here in Central Ontario, Canada. A storm front from Texas apparently moved northeast and entered our area last night. It's been snowing steadily since early yesterday afternoon. The weather authorities are forecasting it as the worst storm of the year, with it having a strong possibility of breaking long standing winter storm records. Glad I can stay inside snug and warm and just admire the snow coming down from inside.

Hope you all have a good day. If you live in an area affected by this current winter storm, stay safe.

Last edited by evepet; 02-08-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #227  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysh View Post
Hi Everyone! Been lurking for a while, but wanted to share my good news! At my WI on Tuesday I lost 2.2 (a big loss for me at this point) and hit my 70 pound mark!! Since I've moved my goal down to 125 (originally 135) I still have about 7 to lose, but I'm getting really close. I could phase off now, but I want to be down one more size and I want to have a little cushion. VERY EXCITED about the 70 pound mark. I'll post some new pictures in new clothes as soon as I kick this flu.
WTG Joysh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
No problems greeniris. Glad to lend a supportive shoulder whenever possible. Your journey is certainly one I share, and am having my own struggles with. While I'm still losing, it's very slow. I'm getting tired of packet eating and starting to feel like I need more 'real food' again. I may well merge over to Phase2 soon and see if I can lose the remainder that way. We'll see what this month brings...

ACV = apple cider vinegar. The organic type found in health food stores which contains the 'mother' of the apples is best for overall health purposes, but for this recipe the regular grocery store variety would suffice I think, especially as it's simmering for so long.
Ah. I should have figured that out. My coach said I could stay on P2 as long as I wanted to, and I'd still remain in Ketosis the whole time.

Quote:
In the last two days I've gotten a lot of "I like your hair" (hair is overdue for color & cut), "You look great", "You've lost a lot of weight", "You've lost weight" and interest from at least three people in doing whatever I'm doing. I'm not even going to be offended by "a lot of", because my response is "Yes I have!" or "Thank you!" and a big smile.

I'm right at the cusp of "Normal Weight". Depends on my self weigh-in tomorrow as Friday is my "official to me" weigh in day.
All great! Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
evepet, I read this and couldn't agree more. I have been on this a few months longer than you have and still have a few more months to go. It's so slow. This last 20-ish pounds will take me to the summer time I'm afraid. I have been evaluating where I'm at and my current goal and realize I should drop my goal another 10 pounds. I could easily live with the size I am now, but psychologically would like to get closer to a normal weight BMI, plus get rid of a bit more flab. BUT, I am really burning out on the same program day after day. I know it won't change much in the future maintenance world, though. I've been lurking on the Maintainer's thread for a while now and know my susceptibility to gain just breathing food and what that means. Just at a tough point right now.

Thanks for listening all.

Molly
We're always here for you Molly. I know it's been a very slow process for you, but you are winning! And maintenance isn't so bad...love having fruits and a bit of carb with supper. I'm just gonna have to stay AWAY from the you-know-what for a very long time. You will find your way in maintenance...trial & error, with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
hey ladies...happy to report that week 2 of maintenance brought a 1 pound loss. no exercises this week either, am trying this approach of maintenance for 3 weeks, and then adding in weight training. so looking forward to that after next week. hopefully another week of maintaining is ahead of me. i'm kind of doing my own thing, doing a little reading about south beach dieting, trying to add whole foods and some fruits but not many, not many, still scared about those high carb fruits!! its all an experiment after all!! haha
much love
susan
So glad it's working for you Susan. Think of you often...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfagain View Post
Hooray! Glad to hear from you Susan. I am starting to get nervous about maintenance,you are so brave - out there doing it. Be sure to let us know how it is going. I've started lurking in the maintenance threads, watching and learning. I figure I have 4 more months or so to go, and I need to get my mind wrapped around it. Nice to see long time friends posting there though. They aren't real chatty. Just wait till we all get moved over there bwahahaha.
I've noticed that a lot of the folks that could be posting on the maintenance thread are actually posting in the "Reached Maintenance, need a Reboot" thread. I read through it a couple weeks ago and found it kind of depressing, so I stick with this one and the regular maintenance thread.

Quote:
I heard that you should imagine that you just saw a roach crawl over the food you know you shouldn't eat. So I would suggest thinking about liver and brownies and ice cream with a couple of fat roaches wiggling around on top!
Whoa; works for me!

Quote:

Today is my official weigh in morning and I'm at 159.6 pounds. That's exactly the top weight for a healthy BMI at my height. Woo Hoo! I'm at a NORMAL weight.

When I get to 155, I'll probably move my goal down another 10 pounds. We'll see. That's for a future celebration.
Awesome! Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonS View Post
OH I GOT A RAISE TODAY! VERY EXCITING! : )
Congratulations! And I might have to try your soup recipe; thanks for sharing it!
Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #228  

Hello All! It has been a while since i have checked in but it has been a crazy week but now I am on vacation for the week! Thank God Mardi Gras was early this year!
greeniris the needling technique is a type of PT and not acupuncture. They put these needles in your skin and irritate the muscle that is tight. It hurts so good!!!!! Mine used it when I was having some should and neck issues.
rainbow so glad that you sound better and are doing what is best for you. I decided to work with weights to help with some of the flab as well. not too sure if it will help but its worth a try. Has anyone worked with weights while on Ph 1?
KarenBF YES! I am so happy king cake season is coming to an end. Our faculty lounge has been flooded with king cakes and some days it has been difficult but I got through it!
Off to a Mardi Gras parade tonight!
I CANNOT believe that I almost forgot to post this!!! I wore my shirt tucked in for the first time in forever!! Now I have to go buy belts!!!!!

Last edited by maezy1; 02-08-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #229  

S/C/G: 232/177/145

Default Ketosis/Ketostix

I thought I'd post this here since I'm so comfortable with my 50+ ladies. My clinic just started sending out the idealprotein.tv videos. The last one was on ketosis, and they recommended using ketostix. I decided to try it. I'm 100% OP, have been on IP since 8/2/12, lost 58 lbs, 75 inches so far. Tried the ketostix 3 mornings in a row. All negative for ketones. I've been losing more slowly now, about 1 lb a week for the last three weeks, but 2.5 to 3 inches each week. I have about 25 - 35 more lbs to go, depending on where I feel comfortable. I'm 55 yo, post-menopause, weighed 173 this am.

I never should have tried the silly things -- it would be a non-issue and I'd be happily ignorant. Am I in ketosis or not? Does it matter if the results speak for themselves? My coach never used them and can't give me any advice even though it's a medical office. Should I throw the darn things away, keep calm and carry on?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #230  

Quote:
Originally Posted by petchef View Post
I thought I'd post this here since I'm so comfortable with my 50+ ladies. My clinic just started sending out the idealprotein.tv videos. The last one was on ketosis, and they recommended using ketostix. I decided to try it. I'm 100% OP, have been on IP since 8/2/12, lost 58 lbs, 75 inches so far. Tried the ketostix 3 mornings in a row. All negative for ketones. I've been losing more slowly now, about 1 lb a week for the last three weeks, but 2.5 to 3 inches each week. I have about 25 - 35 more lbs to go, depending on where I feel comfortable. I'm 55 yo, post-menopause, weighed 173 this am.

I never should have tried the silly things -- it would be a non-issue and I'd be happily ignorant. Am I in ketosis or not? Does it matter if the results speak for themselves? My coach never used them and can't give me any advice even though it's a medical office. Should I throw the darn things away, keep calm and carry on?
OK, step away from those stupid sticks!!!! I have never tried them and don't ever intend to because the weight is coming off, just like your is. The inches are coming off just like yours and we drink an enormous amt of water so everything gets watered down in our system. Your inches have increased while your weight loss has slowed. Just your body's way of balancing. The bottom line is those sticks don't determine if you lose weight, you do! it's not like all 60 lbs Ive lost so far are going to go back on because the stick says I'm not in ketosis. the lbs are only going back on if I eat them!
Can you tell I REALLY hate those darn sticks!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #231  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Quote:

I agree with Maezy1!! Don't put more pressure on yourself. BTW: Just my opinion, but I found those videos comepletely unhelpful. Trust me when I say I have learned more about this diet/lifestyle from the men and women here who are actually going through it everyday. GL!!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #232  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

I'm with you Maezy and Ninja! I've never used a keto stick. The pounds are coming off.

When I log my food each day into My Fitness Pal and click "Finished" a screen comes up. It always says, "You're not eating enough calories." Then it says, "If you ate this every day you'd weigh ....... in 5 weeks." Well, I know that 1) I'm eating less calories because I'm on IP and the quality of protein and vitamins are giving me the nutrition I need and 2) I'd probably be lower in 5 weeks because MFP does not take ketosis into account.

Petchef, 58 pounds is wonderful!!!

Last edited by joysh; 02-09-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #233  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
I agree with Maezy1!! Don't put more pressure on yourself. BTW: Just my opinion, but I found those videos comepletely unhelpful. Trust me when I say I have learned more about this diet/lifestyle from the men and women here who are actually going through it everyday. GL!!
I didn't like those videos either. They seemed to be really focused on cutting things out.
Many people have posted about worries with the stix. It seems they are pretty unreliable when people drink a great deal of water.

Last edited by patns; 02-09-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #234  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

You can tell you are a 3fatchicks junkie when the text part of the screen is magnified where you can't see the avatar part, but you can tell who wrote the post just from reading it. I'm especially good at identifying Scorbett, Evepet, Lisa, and Tina.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #235  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:

Hooray! Congratulations! I'm sitting here grinning for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
WTG Joysh!

We're always here for you Molly. I know it's been a very slow process for you, but you are winning! And maintenance isn't so bad...love having fruits and a bit of carb with supper. I'm just gonna have to stay AWAY from the you-know-what for a very long time. You will find your way in maintenance...trial & error, with caution.

[COLOR="darkgreen"]I've noticed that a lot of the folks that could be posting on the maintenance thread are actually posting in the "Reached Maintenance, need a Reboot" thread. I read through it a couple weeks ago and found it kind of depressing, so I stick with this one and the regular
I agree with you there Greeniris, indeed we are here Molly. Thanks for the heads up on where the maintainers are off too... I found it hard to believe maintenance made people less chatty (just kidding) I figure I will be quieter once I figure out maintenance too... after a calming down period at actually getting there, and learning the ropes. While I'm about playing the helping hand/info forward, maintenance hopefully will get to be a routine once established should have less questions popping up after we figure it out. Not to mention our new goals will/should be "stayed the same" or something like that

Quote:
I'm with you Maezy and Ninja! I've never used a keto stick. I know I'm in ketosis from the "sweet" smell of my urine and well, ya know. The pounds are coming off.

When I log my food each day into My Fitness Pal and click "Finished" a screen comes up. It always says, "You're not eating enough calories." Then it says, "If you ate this every day you'd weigh ....... in 5 weeks." Well, I know that 1) I'm eating less calories because I'm on IP and the quality of protein and vitamins are giving me the nutrition I need and 2) I'd probably be lower in 5 weeks because MFP does not take ketosis into account.

I don't know much about BMI either. All I know is that I love being "regular" and not "fat." It absolutely amazes me that I have changed my body!!

Petchef, 58 pounds is wonderful!!!
I get those messages with MFP too, but I always figured that 5 week prediction was too much loss wise. Seems like a big drop, hold on.. checking my chart... hmmm I'm averaging 13 lbs every 5 weeks lately, and it's predicting 12. That surprises me.

Quote:
You can tell you are a 3fatchicks junkie when the text part of the screen is magnified where you can't see the avatar part, but you can tell who wrote the post just from reading it. I'm especially good at identifying Scorbett, Evepet, Lisa, and Tina.
Hahaha - indeed you are, I'm impressed! I get used to the ticker styles and sort of figure it out by typing style and ticker - but then people change them up and I have to relearn them. I'll have to get a new avatar shot done. I messed up mine and just put a plant in there for now.

I am really looking forward to the weekend. Mom's birthday was today, so going to go visit tomorrow. I made chicken soup today with lots of veggies. Was so good on a cold day.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #236  

Quote:

I think that video also said our bodies get more efficient with burning ketones so after a while of being OP they might not show up in urine anymore. Or maybe that was the extra credit video. Either way, toss the stix. The video was for folks in their first week OP. Weight loss tell the story, not stix.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #237  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:

Like the others below, I don't think it's necessary to use the ketostix - and from other posts here, they seem to most often just cause angst. As long as you're following protocol and losing weight you'll be just fine. I have never used one, and I'm almost at my goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
OK, step away from those stupid sticks!!!! I have never tried them and don't ever intend to because the weight is coming off, just like your is. The inches are coming off just like yours and we drink an enormous amt of water so everything gets watered down in our system. Your inches have increased while your weight loss has slowed. Just your body's way of balancing. The bottom line is those sticks don't determine if you lose weight, you do! it's not like all 60 lbs Ive lost so far are going to go back on because the stick says I'm not in ketosis. the lbs are only going back on if I eat them!
Can you tell I REALLY hate those darn sticks!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
Quote:
I'm with you Maezy and Ninja! I've never used a keto stick. The pounds are coming off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I didn't like those videos either. They seemed to be really foced on cutting things out.
Many people have posted about worries with the stix. It seems they are pretty unreliable when people drink a great deal of water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I think that video also said our bodies get more efficient with burning ketones so after a while of being OP they might not show up in urine anymore. Or maybe that was the extra credit video. Either way, toss the stix. The video was for folks in their first week OP. Weight loss tell the story, not stix.
I agree with all of you. Although I did find those videos helpful when I very first started the program and didn't have a coach, I found 3FatChicks around that same time. I soon found that the support and info available here was much more useful - in fact, invaluable. And as to ketostix - never used one, and I'm -57lbs lighter and very close to goal.

Quote:
LOL, I agree that's probably a sign of a 3fatchicks junkie. I can see the avatars, but I'll have to start testing myself to see if I can identify the posters without them. You've got me curious now.

----------------------------

Good morning everyone. Hope each of you has a great day.

Woke up to a bright, sunny morning. Lots of snow and big snow banks today. It's beautiful out though, so I'm soon off to stock up on veggies and other necessities.

Last edited by evepet; 02-09-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #238  
60 great years young

S/C/G: 188/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Hello All! It has been a while since i have checked in but it has been a crazy week but now I am on vacation for the week! Thank God Mardi Gras was early this year!
I decided to work with weights to help with some of the flab as well. not too sure if it will help but its worth a try. [ B]Maezy1[B] Has anyone worked with weights while on Ph 1?
I CANNOT believe that I almost forgot to post this!!! I wore my shirt tucked in for the first time in forever!! Now I have to go buy belts!!!!!
I bet you are having a blat with shirt in and all of the Mardi Gras! Maezy I waited to return to the gym after being on plan for 1.5 months. I go 5 times per week and do a limited routine that includes weights upper and lower every other visit. There is a book on slow motion weight training that I follow. For each exercise I do 8 reps times 3 to exhaustion. So setting the weight exactly right is an experiment. I do not try to increase the weight in any of the reps, and only go up if last time was too easy. Out of 40 minutes at my gym I probably spend 15 minutes on weights, so it is NOT a ton of weights. After weights I do abs and stretches. Before I set the treadmill on max elevation and walk for 15 minutes up hill. I added an additional 4 oz of lean protein on gym days and my weight loss has not stalled.

I cannot say that my body looks "toned" but I feel that I am not adding to my flab at the same pace. Hope these ideas help you.b Jan
Old 02-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #239  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedit View Post
I bet you are having a blat with shirt in and all of the Mardi Gras! Maezy I waited to return to the gym after being on plan for 1.5 months. I go 5 times per week and do a limited routine that includes weights upper and lower every other visit. There is a book on slow motion weight training that I follow. For each exercise I do 8 reps times 3 to exhaustion. So setting the weight exactly right is an experiment. I do not try to increase the weight in any of the reps, and only go up if last time was too easy. Out of 40 minutes at my gym I probably spend 15 minutes on weights, so it is NOT a ton of weights. After weights I do abs and stretches. Before I set the treadmill on max elevation and walk for 15 minutes up hill. I added an additional 4 oz of lean protein on gym days and my weight loss has not stalled.

I cannot say that my body looks "toned" but I feel that I am not adding to my flab at the same pace. Hope these ideas help you.b Jan
This helps SO MUCH! THANK YOU!!!! I dropped my gym membership because of all the surgeries with my knee. I plan on picking it up again this summer when I will hopefully be at goal weight. I don't want six pack abs, ok I would LOVE six pack abs, but I would like to tone my six pack flabs to see if I could look somewhat different ! Also, the weight around my middle is coming off more slowly than my legs and my pants look ridiculous! Going to start with weights today!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #240  
60 great years young

S/C/G: 188/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
This helps SO MUCH! THANK YOU!!!! I dropped my gym membership because of all the surgeries with my knee. I plan on picking it up again this summer when I will hopefully be at goal weight. I don't want six pack abs, ok I would LOVE six pack abs, but I would like to tone my six pack flabs to see if I could look somewhat different ! Also, the weight around my middle is coming off more slowly than my legs and my pants look ridiculous! Going to start with weights today!
I recall that you had knee surgery and hope that you have some PT advice before you start those leg presses

I feel like the uphill on the treadmill is a form of lower body weight training along with some cardio. As to 6 pack abs...I WISH. However I am thrilled with my losses and just baby steps in the toning department make me happy with my progress!
Please let me know how it works for you as you reintegrate an exercise program. I can imagine that most of what I do could be modified for home with bands and a ball if you don't want to go to the gym. I am more compliant by having gym days and gym times. How is Mardi Gras?
Closed Thread