Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #451  

S/C/G: 154/147/128

Height: 5'3.5"

Hello/bonjour everyone,

Just wanted to say hi from Montréal. I joined the site last Thursday and it's the first time I see a Canadian thread pop up.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #452  

S/C/G: 265/154/165

Height: 5' 8"

Bienvenue, Matisse! This thread is usually fairly quiet compared to the others, but I've found it to be a great resource for finding alternative products in Canada.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #453  

S/C/G: 182/136.4/130

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I considered Smaps, New Hope Mills pancake/waffle mix, and the Bakers Deluxe Instant Hot cereal all to be Unrestricted items. I made my waffles with 1 tbsp. of egg white & used 1 tsp of coconut oil.

As to soups... is there a Dr. Bernstein's branch in your town/city? I've gotten their soup packets from time to time during my dieting months here. Or you can order from them online.
Thanks! I never placed my order as I wanted to see if restricted or not - glad to hear they aren't. Not much in my small town and noticed that LowCarbGrocery doesn't carry the Dr. Bernstein soups. Have you ordered any "snack items" from them? I don't need bars as I buy the detours from costco and premier protein drinks from costco.

BTW Costco had Vanilla Premier Protein drinks the last time I was in Edmonton and it is a nice change!
Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #454  
flubadub15

S/C/G: 152/137.5/135

Height: 5' 2"

So glad to see a Canada thread. I have ordered from thelowcarbgrocery but I am still trying to figure out a lot of the products. Do you mix the pancake mix with silken tofu? Keep the Canadian thread going ,please !!!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #455  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin4me View Post
Thanks! I never placed my order as I wanted to see if restricted or not - glad to hear they aren't. Not much in my small town and noticed that LowCarbGrocery doesn't carry the Dr. Bernstein soups. Have you ordered any "snack items" from them? I don't need bars as I buy the detours from costco and premier protein drinks from costco.

BTW Costco had Vanilla Premier Protein drinks the last time I was in Edmonton and it is a nice change!
No - you'd have to go direct to Dr. Bernstein to buy their products, either at a branch in person or through their website.

The main snack items I've bought from thelowcarbgrocery were Quest protein bars and their soy beanits. 1/4 of the soy beanits is about the same nutritional value as a packet of IP roasted soynuts. I've also noticed that I can buy unsalted roasted soy beans in bulk from my local Bulk Barn - even more cost effective. Again 1/4 cup would equal the amount in an IP packet (I measured). They'd be Restricted, same as the IP soy packets.

Also - the Pro Energy line at thelowcarbgrocery has some chips that would be ok in a pinch. You'd have to treat them as a Restricted, and at 10g/bag the protein level/bag isn't as high as we'd want ideally. They are also quite expensive. But if you compensated on the days you ate them by making sure you ate a little more protein elsewhere to keep the overall day's protein intake high enough, I think they'd be ok.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #456  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flubadub15 View Post
So glad to see a Canada thread. I have ordered from thelowcarbgrocery but I am still trying to figure out a lot of the products. Do you mix the pancake mix with silken tofu? Keep the Canadian thread going ,please !!!
Not sure whether you're referring to my use of the New Hope Mills pancake mix? I measure out 1/4 cup of it, add about 1/4 tsp of baking powder and whatever spices and powdered sweetener I'm going to use. Meanwhile, I mix together 1 tbsp. of egg white with 1 tsp of coconut oil (melted), plus 2-3 tablespoons of water (or cold coffee if available)... pour the wet ingredients into the pancake flour mix.... stir everything together really well (add more water as necessary to reach a nice pancake consistency).., and cook either on a griddle/frying pan/ or in your waffle iron.

The New Hope Mills/egg whites together give you 14.65gms of protein/serving. The IP crepe has 18gm of protein/packet. In order to increase the protein in mine when I'm using the New Hope Mills mix, I sometimes add just 1 tbsp. of unflavored protein powder - mine has 4gm/protein per tbsp., so that brings it up to 18.65gms/serving. You could probably do the same thing by adding just a tablespoon or so of the silken tofu. I recommend you input the ingredients into fatsecret.com or somewhere similar so that you can doublecheck how closely your 'mixes' are to the IP nutritional values. It's good to get into that habit.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #457  

S/C/G: 182/136.4/130

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
The main snack items I've bought from thelowcarbgrocery were Quest protein bars and their soy beanits. 1/4 of the soy beanits is about the same nutritional value as a packet of IP roasted soynuts. I've also noticed that I can buy unsalted roasted soy beans in bulk from my local Bulk Barn - even more cost effective. Again 1/4 cup would equal the amount in an IP packet (I measured). They'd be Restricted, same as the IP soy packets.
Thanks again! I really enjoy the soy beans from proteinwell especially when craving nuts. Wasn't sure if I could just pick up regualr soy beans.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #458  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetScrumptious View Post
For Ideal Protein type foods - I order from Nashua Nutrition. Shipping/Fedex Fees are expensive but I guess it still is cheaper than the Ideal Protein packs.

For Walden Farms/Green Valley/Quest Bars/Miracle Noodles/Dixie Diner (this brand has a Cup-o-Noodle I've been meaning to try): Lowcarbcanada.ca. Warehouse is located in Calgary or Toronto; can pick up in store or free shipping on orders over $100

Lowcarbgrocery.com also carries the same stuff as Lowcarbcanada, just slightly more expensive. They also carry the Syntrax protein powder that some people rav about on here. Sometimes has better deals than the above website, depending on sales. Warehouse is located in Vancouver.

Costco: Premier Protein Chocolate RTD Shakes (they don't carry the Vanilla flavor in Canada ). Pick up bulk produce here so you can make batches of Veggie Purees and freeze portions for easy access.
Both Kitchener + Barrie now carry the Vanilla. I bought some @ both places this week as the 1st batch tasted way better then I expected
I use the Vanilla with my coffee as a creamer / sweetener
Old 08-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #459  
support, not criticism

S/C/G: 219/187.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi from the NWT. I've just started IP and discovered this thread and the tips, advice and information have been very useful. I plan to add some alternative products into my IP products to try and keep the costs down.

Thanks for all of your advice!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #460  

S/C/G: 249.4/180/WhenIFeelSexyNaked

Height: 5'eff all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonhs View Post
Hi from the NWT. I've just started IP and discovered this thread and the tips, advice and information have been very useful. I plan to add some alternative products into my IP products to try and keep the costs down.

Thanks for all of your advice!
Hi Shannon I am in Sask - yes this board has a tonne of info especially if you plan on adding alternative products - I want something where I dont have to think too hard - so I just buy from my local clinic
Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #461  

S/C/G: 200.8/186.8/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

and Bonjour! from Montreal, Quebec. My husband and I are starting week 4 and already starting to see and feel the progress!

Last edited by Susie_Bee; 08-12-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #462  

S/C/G: 274.5/269.5/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! I'm in SW Ontario and just started yesterday. Rockin a killer headache, but I know it will go away soon enough.

Thanks for all the tips on where to find alternate products!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #463  
Restart - June17/15

S/C/G: 221/215/160

Height: 5"6

Welcome! This is a great place for gaining information and support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrm View Post
Hi everyone! I'm in SW Ontario and just started yesterday. Rockin a killer headache, but I know it will go away soon enough.

Thanks for all the tips on where to find alternate products!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #464  

S/C/G: 280/269/150

Height: 5'4

Hey everyone! I'm Jenn from Alberta! 2nd time around here! Had great success the first time then had twins so back on my journey! I'm on my 3rd week and finally starting to feel good. Excited that there's a Canada thread eh!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #465  

S/C/G: 229.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Hello!!!

I'm making the switch from IP to alternatives and found this page especially helpful since I'm located in Northern Alberta !! I've been reading a lot and now just trying to compile a list of things to order! I'm so scared of messing up though!!

If you order the ready made drinks, are you able to mix those with spinach in the morning? It's how I get my two cups of veggies and am able to make it to lunch time without needing extra.
Closed Thread