General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:29 PM   #331  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Just read catching up since here last time. Haven't written in a while, but I have to say that I identify with each and everyone of you. I tell you I'm not sure that I will ever get rid of this horrible "diet" mentality. I know when I start dieting that there are restrictions and as soon as I set up the rules, even if it is only my rules that I make, that I am setting myself up for failure. So why oh why do I constantly do this.

I do really good for a while Intuitively, but then I feel guilty that I'm not following a diet. Like others here, I can't tell you how many times I have "started over" on MFP and never make it through a day. I start out with an idea and then end up changing my mind. I've been working at doing IF/IE combo and I can't even stick to the 8 hr eating window. I did good at that for a while, but usually end up doing a 9 or 10 hr. Can't decide if I should eat low carb or low calorie or something else. It is like living a nightmare with the wild monster that is controlling me and I feel like I'm on some kind of "diet" roller coaster and I am not sure how to get off and stay off.

I just read recently that WW and Atkins are good diets for losing weight, but the problem is that they don't keep it off if and when they do lose weight. I think IE is probably the best chance I have to ever lose weight and keep it off since it is a proven fact that diets do not work.

We must keep encouraging each other so that we can do this. I know that for me it is just something I have to keep working at until I get it right. Others have done this so I believe if they have that we can. Hang in there gang. We will work at it together.

Have a blessed weekend.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:32 PM   #332  

An interesting read that talks about intuitive eating is a book called "Health at Every Size". It's not for everyone because it does include quite a bit of nutritional guidance. However, if you really want to get into the science of why diets don't work it's by far the best I've read. It's a good kick in the pants if you ever get into the dieting mindset. Linda Bacon (author) also goes into talking about strategies on intuitive eating, body positivity, and other aspects of the struggle with weight. It's quite political, too, which is interesting compared to a lot of the other books that focus on dieters as individuals.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:46 PM   #333  

S/C/G: 139.8/139.8/115

Height: 5'4

Just checking in! Feeling the same as you all at the moment. Very anxious, very confused... I can't stand the way my mind works sometimes. I know that this is what is best for me but yes, the back of my mind I still think to myself, "wait, you mean that there is a chance that your body weight won't be super skinny?!?!?! NO"

It sucks so bad. And I was also wondering if any of you actually in the beginning almost thought about food as much as you did when you were restricting / calorie counting / etc? Well, for me lately, I can't get my mind off of my hunger and fullness level. I just get freaked out over the smallest thought, as soon as it enters my mind! Then of course, that thought will tell me "if you start calorie counting and actually stick to it, you'll get the results you want"

I was just wondering if anyone else felt any of these things that I do. This must be one of the hardest things for me.
onelittlecreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:47 PM   #334  

S/C/G: 139.8/139.8/115

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
An interesting read that talks about intuitive eating is a book called "Health at Every Size". It's not for everyone because it does include quite a bit of nutritional guidance. However, if you really want to get into the science of why diets don't work it's by far the best I've read. It's a good kick in the pants if you ever get into the dieting mindset. Linda Bacon (author) also goes into talking about strategies on intuitive eating, body positivity, and other aspects of the struggle with weight. It's quite political, too, which is interesting compared to a lot of the other books that focus on dieters as individuals.
I'll look it up! I love books. Maybe a bit too much for my own good
onelittlecreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #335  

Onelittle,

It can take *years* for the food thoughts to settle down. Your mind is so used to being in "control" over food instead of letting the body do what it wants. Right now what I'm doing is practicing completely unrestrained eating. I eat what I want, when I want it. I also have a journal where I log hunger/fullness levels before and after eating and how I feel. I'm really not having problems eating when I'm not hungry. I'm not sure if it's because I've been at least trying to IE for over a year now or what. If I just let my body do its thing it gets what it needs.

This is really scary because I've been told all my life I need to watch what I eat and control myself. It's amazing that my body can eat intuitively after 20 years of BS. It's my mind that keeps wanting to take control that is really effing things up. I still overeat sometimes- it happens, particularly with calorie dense foods. What happens though is that I don't get hungry until several hours later than I usually would, and then I usually just want something light.

Now I want to share with you all how I shop/cook for food which is different than most I think. I basically make all of my meals for the week on Sundays. Breakfast/lunch/dinner and snacks are all cooked and in the fridge/freezer/pantry for when I need them. They are balanced and healthy meals. If I'm really hungry I usually don't care what I eat as long as it's food so I have stuff readily available. These are balanced meals that include protein, starch, and vegetables so I can eat however much I want of something and not eat other parts if I want. I also have treat foods available at all times. Sometimes I'll forgo a prepped meal for some cheese and fruit, or bread and hummus. So I'm eating what I want of the foods I have available, but I don't have to cook a lot during the week. This is really important for me because when I get home at night I am tired and will eat whatever is the easiest food available even if it's not something my body wants- like crackers and cheese, or a handful of nuts.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #336  

I've been really into reading The Fat Nutritionist's blog lately, and one of her mentors is Ellyn Satter. She promotes giving yourself full permission to eat whatever you'd like until you're satisfied while learning to focus on your hunger and fullness cues. She also doesn't make nutrition recommendations which I FRICKIN LOVE. Here's a chapter of her book that I found quite interesting:

http://ellynsatterinstitute.org/cms-...019.secch4.pdf
Old 04-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #337  

I am once again grateful for the posters who post the ups AND downs of their IE journey.

I have struggled as well in the past week after having done quite well for several weeks.

It started last week with a business trip. I wasn't able to bring food with me and the options available were frequently foods that had meat, which I don't eat except fish. That left me significantly underfed for a few days. Once I was home, I over ate. Not a full fledged binge, but close.

I still haven't regulated back to where I was.

The diet mentality has also plagued me.

Lastly, I want to go on a summer vacation, but feel too fat to fly. I can fit in a seat, but it is tight and I don't want to encroach on the person next to me. Sigh.

Last edited by beginme; 04-21-2015 at 12:40 PM.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #338  

Locke, I have wanted to read Health at every size but I can't handle nutrition recommendations yet. The Ellyn Satter book sounds interesting.

It seems like a constant process. Learning to trust your body and eat what it is asking for. It sounds so easy! But it is so hard.

I think my main issue that gets in the way is when I focus on wanting to change the shape /size of my body. That makes me anxious, and that makes me use my brain to make food choices, not my body. It's hard because sometimes it feels completely unconscious. And I don't know how to reach acceptance with my body without actively working to make my body better. Yet, that keeps me focused on it and affects my food choices.

I think in the world we live in and the messages we get about how our bodies are supposed to look, especially for women, it just makes it hard. It feels kind of impossible sometimes. But I believe if I was happy with my body just as it is, that I would lose the anxiety surrounding intuitive eating.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 04-22-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #339  

Well,

After thinking about it long and hard as well as discussing it with my therapist I'm going to count calories and see how that goes. Yes, dieting sucks, but unlike many of the people here I'm >300 lbs. I need to lose weight for my health. I'm still going to be working on my relationship with food and using therapy to find ways of dealing with my life beyond eating/dieting BUT I'm afraid that IE isn't going to provide me with the weight loss that my body *needs* to be healthy. So I'll be around the forums I just won't be actively working on IE and non-dieting.

IE has taught me SO MUCH about myself and my relationship with food. Unfortunately it's my experience that IE is great for stabilizing but not losing weight. I need to lose weight for my health. I understand that it's less than ideal, but this is what I need to do (in loving kindness) for myself at this moment.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #340  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Well, I have surely struggled this past week with the "diet mentality". And I'm gaining weight and blood sugar going up. I am so brainwashed that I need to diet and it never works. So why do I keep trying to do the same old thing thinking it is going to work this time. I am so tired of thinking about all this. Some how I've got to relax and just enjoy my life without thinking about food.

I think I just cannot read any more eat this don't eat that of any type of diet/nutrition books etc any more. As my doctor tells me, "You should know by now what you can and can't eat". And he is right.

Hope we all have a better IE day today than we did yesterday.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #341  

I find that I LOVE the "feeling full" feeling. Now I just stuff my face with huge salads (greens, cabbages and veggies, very light home made dressing) all the time to prevent myself from gaining weight. I get super hungry because I exercise so much more and of course when I get bored. So my rule is you can eat as much salad as possible-they are huge, LOL
mkat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #342  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

After I left the thread for awhile (I'm glad it's back to normal), I had a major setback.

I went straight back into excessive restriction and overexercise. If I would eat -anything-, I would immediately go run that off. One day, I was living off a few strawberries and half an apple that I ran off.

I quickly lost some weight and was satisfied that I could see all my ribs and hipbones to the degree I once had when my ED first took hold, that's when something clicked that I was really hurting myself.

I'm still working on this and it's like walking on eggshells for the moment, but I'm sure I can find my way out again with re-reading some IE books and going back to Isabel Foxen's website and re-reading (since that's what helped the most to begin with).
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #343  

So glad to have you back, Owl and I love your signature!!!!!

Locke, I am going to miss you on this thread. I too have a lot to lose for health, but am finding that IE really is the way for me. I hope you find peace with whatever you choose to do next.

Really, that is what we all need. Peace with food, our bodies, and ourselves.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #344  
300+ Chick

Beginme...I like your statement on your siggy line...so true, and I quit again, with dieting books and all,..put my dieting stuff back into storage,..Thank you for your siggy ..It reminds me to be anti-diets for good. Have a good day..

Patty...I hear your struggle!! One day be on the diet and all and the next..quit. I also giving up the diet mental state...and my problem also looking for a quick fix, but learning on not falling into the darn diet trap mindset. I am always reading others ideas,,,and that lead me no where...IE is good and am taking IE princples into my life again. You stay strong patty...

Hi all...chiming here for a bit...been reading the lastest post and glad I did. Dieting land is causing me very stressed out and need to stop entering the diet land. On and off on being a anti diet method I need to reprogram my mental mindset. I had enough searching for a mricale..I know this takes time.

Will post when I have free time and bored..Stay strong on IE...I am with you all on this.. Thank you.
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #345  
300+ Chick

Good day all.... Wishing everyone a wonderful IE path..and feeling fantastic on listening to our hunger cues that stressing over calories,points, carbs,etc..Farewell! Hello hunger cues!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote