General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-29-2003, 12:14 PM   #136  
One day at a time

Ok, I thought yesterday I was going to jump back on the bandwagon and stick to my eating plan. Instead, my evil twin surfaced and decided I don't really need to lose weight, so I can eat anything including Pringles chips, chocolate cake (it was Sam's 8th birthday afterall), and anything else that caught my fancy. Really, I don't have an evil twin (and I'm not a crazy person), but it sometimes feels like it. Its like food becomes more important than good health and my desire to lose weight goes flying out the window. Does anyone else experience this, or is it just me? I also made the mistake of not recording my intake right from breakfast, so I have no idea how many calories I consumed.

I've already recorded this morning's breakfast and I am determined to stick to the plan today!!! I mean that!!!!!!! I can't let this get away from me when I've only just begun. One good thing...yesterday I did still work out in the morning. Today I'm taking the day off from Curves, but I think I'll take the dog for a walk. Hopefully he's over his little diarreah problem (sorry to be gross), but I don't want to walk him only to have that happen...ewww yuck! The vet thinks he may have a food allergy so I've taken him off the dog food and am giving him bland people food (rice, boiled chicken, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese) until his diarreah is gone. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to catch him in the "act" to determine whether he's better or not, but he's not needing to go out 3 times per night, or making a mess in the laundry room, ugh. Once I know he's better, I'll put him back on the dog food. If it starts again, I know it's the food. We'll then go from there. The vet suggested giving him Pepto Bismal to clear up his tummy troubles. It seems to have worked. Anyway enough of gross doggy problems.

Jacklyn and Nola: Isn't it nice that you're both following BFL. You can compare notes and keep each other on track.

Hi to everyone, have a good day.
willbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:17 PM   #137  

Willbe~I know exactly how you feel about the food thing. I used to wake up in the morning with the best plan on how to eat healthy and then blow it by 10am. The bad thing for me was that once I opened that gate, it was a downward spiral. I can remember thinking oh well, I've screwed up today so I'll just start fresh tomorrow. Then I'd give myself permission to eat absolutely everything in sight for just one more day....right? Only to do the same blasted thing the very next day.

I'm not quite sure how I got out of that....I still have my days where it seems that it is a continuous grazing fest. But luckily those days are more far and few between...rather than every other day. I know that keeping myself on a schedule definitely helps. Keeps me busy and I have my meals planned, so I don't wait until I'm hungry to decide what's for lunch. If I do that....off to the closest fast food place I go.

Where is everyone today?
jacklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:51 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

My best advice is to take those days one hour at a time and think about what you are doing and the consequences of those actions...and plan out your meals and snacks ahead of time BEFORE you get hungry...so you are less likely to think with your tummy...
I am a visual person...so I have an all time highest weight photo of myself on the fridge, the size too small swimsuit I bought laying out on my dresser where I can see it...so that my goals are always on my mind.
Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:27 PM   #139  

Hello Everyone, I've been away (again) and have been reading the past posts...my weigh in was last night and I was down 4.2 pounds in a week! I was about to do back flips (if only I could!) I agree with VermontMom you do have to watch what you eat and exercise, but everyday is a new beginning, so if you fall off, just start again. I was reading an article about a child who broke his leg and the doctor was telling the parents how to care for him to get him to recover. The doctor said the parents needed to assist him with exercises and feed him right and it would take about six months for the bone to fully heal. Now if we are the parent, we don't think twice about what we would do for our children, if the doctor recommends this, this will be done. But why don't we do this for ourselves, for optimum health and to be able to care for our families??? Okay, off the soap box...

Missymont and willbe: the cake is just a dry cake mix and a can of diet soda. I use a white cake mix and diet 7-up or a chocoate cake mix and a can of diet pepsi. No other ingredients-try it, it's very moist. I liked it better than the regular way of making a cake!

Kanola- my WW leader suggested not exercising in the first six weeks of WW, then to start a routine that fits in your lifestyle. She said to get use the the program first. I am in my 15th week of WW and I am down 43 pounds! I started working out at Curves 4 weeks ago and I love it. Have a great day everyone!
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:36 PM   #140  
One day at a time

Ideal: WOW, 43 lbs in 15 weeks???? 4.2 this week!!!!!!! That is just awesome. You must be so happy. Do you have much more to lose? Thanks for the cake recipe. I'm definitely going it give it a go.

So far, so good today. I'm keeping close tabs on my food, drinking my water, and am still hoping to get out for a walk. I'm glad I'm not the only one who loses control. I appreciate all your advice and support.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:59 PM   #141  

Hi! I'm back again, slow day in the office!
Willbe, I have gone from 209 to 166! I want to lose about 15 more pounds. When I started WW and realized that I needed to lose about 60 pounds, that felt so overwhelming, but I stayed within my point range and drank alot of water. Now 15 pounds seems do-able. I was wearing a size 18 and now I'm in a size 12. I am looking forward to going garage sale-ing to buy clothes that will get me through to where I want to be (and selling my old clothes)! I enjoy working out at Curves and I need it because I have a desk job and do alot of traveling-so I eat out alot! I also have four children and a hungry husband to feed when I am home. I have made many life changes like low fat cheese, soups, and sour cream in all my recipes. Keep up the good work and results will come your way!
Old 04-30-2003, 09:26 AM   #142  

Ideal~You have made such great progress...you must be so proud of yourself! I bet that last 15 pounds will come off in no time at all!

Willbe~keep up the good work. Just take it one day at a time, or hour at a time....or minute at a time...whatever works! We;ve all been there!

Aphil~I'm with you on the visual motivation. My husband bought me some overalls about 1 1/2 years that I refused to return because I couldn't fit into them. Unfortunately they still are hanging in my closet because they are too tight in the hips and thighs but they are getting closer to being wearable. I would like to be able to wear them by July, but I occasionally get them out to try on for a little motivation!

Hope everyone is having a great day. I can barely walk because my legs are hurting me so bad from lifting on MONDAY.....pretty sad I know, but that means I'm pushing myself to make progress...right??
jacklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:27 AM   #143  

Idealperson....ahhh rummage sales.... I am the queen of rummage sales and thrift stores...I just love them. When I was pregnant each time...I went thrift store shopping and rummaging weekly when weather permitted...my kids had tons of brand name barely used clothes like Carters, Gap, and Gymboree when they were babies...and everything was under $1-they just "looked" expensive!
I have been using the thrift stores and my sister in law for clothes to fit me while I am going down the size ladder...with the exception of the new swimsuits and the pair of Old Navy jeans...I am actually going to have a rummage here in a couple of weeks to get rid of all my "baby" things, the normal junk around the house, and ALL of my size 18 and 20 clothes....good riddance to them, I say!
We started learning new choreography to another song last night in class...it is totally cool-a real earthy, tribal drums type of song...with new moves that I have been wanting to learn for months now...it was a faster song-which made for a great workout-we were all sweating at the end of class!
Well, I best get going...I have to get my workout done, and get soem things going around the house! You all have a fabulous day, and keep in control! We can do it!
Aphil
Old 04-30-2003, 11:04 AM   #144  
One day at a time

Yesterday was a better day. I stuck to my plan and stayed within my calorie range. Never did get out for a walk with the dog, but I did get several boxes packed up.

Tonight the in-laws and my parents are coming for dinner to celebrate Sam's birthday. Sam has ordered BBQ hamburgers, jello with no fruit in it and chips. I think I'll make a salad too, and of course, chocolate cake for dessert. I think I might also go out today and get some fresh fruit to make a fruit platter so I can resist that chocolate cake.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:04 PM   #145  

This weekend is city wide garage sales in my area, Aphil, I wish you could be here...I am in a new size and have a growing baby to look for summer things, so the hunt is on. My job is requiring me to go to New Mexico for three days, so I am off and travling again! Hope to read everyone's progress when I get back.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:55 PM   #146  

Default Article on e-diets

50 Deadliest Dieting Mistakes from the Pocket Encyclopedia of diet and weight loss

1. Having a negative defeatist attitude.
2. Going on any diet that is NOT a manner of eating that you can adhere to for the rest of your life.
3. Believing that you can eat cabbage soup -- or any other low-cal, but monotonous fare -- every day for the rest of your life.
4. Obsessing over counting calories.
5. Weighing in too frequently.
6. Not drinking enough water.
7. Drinking sugar-laden drinks.
8. Eating more bread, pasta and potatoes than proteins, lean meats, fruits and vegetables.
9. Consuming processed foods more often than fresh foods.
10. Taking the benefits away from vegetables by overcooking them.
11. Not having a plan.
12. Blaming others for your shortcomings.
13. Being quick to judge.
14. Not being aware of the nutritional benefits or detriments of what you consume.
15. Finishing every last bite of a meal, even after you are full.
16. Going back for seconds at meals.
17. Eating at "all-you-can-eat buffets" and consuming large amounts "to get your money's worth."
18. Skipping breakfast.
19. Starving all day.
20. Bingeing after
"falling off the wagon" and then waiting until "tomorrow" to get back on track.
21. Thinking you are genetically destined to be fat.
22. Not believing that you have the courage to change.
23. Confusing "fat" as a personality trait.
24. Thinking you are unattractive.
25. Not living each day to the fullest... thinking that will come when you are thinner.
26. Wasting time.
27. Not finishing tasks you begin.
28. Postponing tasks that need attention.
29. Rationalizing.
30. Thinking pills, powders or potions are more powerful than they really are in achieving weight loss.
31. Thinking of exercise as a chore, instead of a way to improve your health and your life.
32. Not scheduling exercise as a vital part of your day and week.
33. Indulging excessively in alcohol.
34. Watching sports rather than participating in sports.
35. Watching too much television.
36. Not giving enough time to personal hygiene and appearance.
37. Refusing to read self-improvement materials on a regular basis.
38. Giving up and resigning yourself to being "fat."
39. Finishing the food off of your family's plates while you are doing the dishes.
40. Tasting and nibbling on food while you are cooking it.
41. Baking cookies, pies and cakes more often than for holidays or very special occasions.
42. Always having candy in dishes, supposedly for guests, but eating more of it yourself.
43. Buying unhealthy snack items "for the kids," but eating some yourself.
44. Not having vegetables and/or fruit with each meal.
45. Serving more carbohydrates than any other food group for meals.
46. Thinking that "dieting" sprees -- and not total lifestyle change -- will garner lasting weight loss results.
47. Not visualizing yourself actually living and enjoying a healthy lifestyle.
48. Not taking vitamins and proper supplements.
49. Consuming fast foods on a regular basis.
50. Waiting for tomorrow to "get started" rather than RIGHT NOW!

Nothing interesting in my life right now so I thought I would post this for encouragement.
Missy
missymont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:11 PM   #147  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default Wow....

Missymont.... what a fantastic post!!

I have copied it into a word document and have highlighted a few that still apply to me (too frequent weighing) that I need to work on. I need to toss that scale and just rely on the WW scale, and not let it get me down either during this 12 week stint with BFL.

Day 5 already for me and I have been on plan 100%, had great workouts and am sore all over. I love it! I was surfing the net last night while hubby watched an NBA game and found myself on the Australian EAS site.... and I have decided to take this challenge to another level and enrolled in their Aussie challenge for BFL. If anything, it will keep me motivated and going hard!! ha ha ha!!

Well... I must run, and do a journal entry and get to work!!

Have a great day everyone!!

Nola.
Kanola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 08:31 AM   #148  

Good morning!
Kanola-congrats on day 5 staying 100% OP!!!
missymont-great article! Those are some great points! Years ago, I used to be scale addicted, and I have finally gotten to a point a year ago, where I don't obsess over it so much-weigh in once a week...and let it be. I think I will print that off too as well, and highlight a couple that I think I need to work on...
Jason is going to Ohio today for work-he left about 4:30 am...he has to visit a factory over there...so he won't be back until around 7 tonight, instead of his usual 4:00.
Last night I put out some grass seed/paper mulch/fertilizer combo in a few bare spots in our yard that needed covering up...and I went to the store and picked up a mango (the exotic fruit, not a green pepper) and took it home to try out a new fruit-well, I got it cut up and the skin removed, sat down with it-and Raiden came over to get "a bite." He ate the entire thing!!!! So now I have a 2 year old that likes exotic fruit...and I didn't even get a taste! I did buy a cantalaupe as well, so I will eat some of that today...I am truly thankful that my kids are learning good eating habits...hopefully it is something that they will keep with them the rest of their lives.
I found another find that I really like...Meijer has bags of frozen veggies in the Birdseye brand-that are a little fancier than the regular corn or green beans...I got a blend that is mixed veggies with tiny baby potatoes in it, and a blend that has the broccoli, baby corn ears, and other veggies in it as well-very simple to make, and a great dinner along with a serving of lean meat.
Another thing I like to do, since spring is rolling around-I do have a longing for steak on the grill. My secret weapon? If any of you has an Aldi's store near you, they sell in their frozen department a box of 4 sirloin steaks that are smaller in size than what you normally pick up at another store's meat department-I buy regular sized ones for Jason at Wal-Mart or such, but have a box on hand of these "half sized steaks" for me-complete with the calories, etc. on the back...it is a great way to have steak on the grill and control your portion size at the same time-I just have one with vegetables for the rest of the meal...and I feel very satisfied.
Well, I best be going-I have my cardio to do...and breakfast to get ready for the kids-have a great day everyone!
Aphil
Old 05-01-2003, 10:17 AM   #149  

Hi, everyone!

I’ve been lurking in these forums, especially this thread, for awhile, and I feel like I’ve gotten to know some new friends – I would love to join in! I am 30, living in Maryland, and I have been overweight since I was 10 or so. A few years ago I tried the Atkins diet twice, and lost substantial amounts both times, but gained it all back. I was a member of Weight Watchers briefly (too expensive for me!), and of TOPS for a couple of years (as the treasurer and then the co-leader). I really like the supportive atmosphere of a forum like this, or a “face-to-face” group where everyone is going through the same thing.

I think my current attempt at weight loss will be more lasting and healthy because, for the first time, I am admitting that I must add some structured form of exercise into my plan. Just changing eating habits isn’t enough. So a few weeks ago I joined a gym and I have been going 3 to 4 times a week for cardio and weightlifting. I am enjoying it much more than I expected, and I find myself looking forward to it! I know from past experience that I tend to weigh myself much too often, so I’m trying to weigh in only once every few weeks. I know I’ve lost about 10 pounds so far, and I’m happy with that!

I am originally from NC, but I moved to Maryland last fall (during all the sniper shootings – great timing, huh?) to be with my long-time boyfriend. I’ve never lived with someone before, and we both wanted to make sure we COULD live together before we plan to get married. We are both very independent and headstrong, and used to living by ourselves. It’s going better than we thought, which is great! I find that it is definitely harder to watch what I eat when there’s someone else around. We both like to cook so we share those responsibilities, but I make an effort to cook things that David will like, and it’s maybe not always the best choices for me. Do those of you with families have tips on working that out?

It’s nice to meet all of you! I’m glad to have found this place.

Maisy
maisyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:44 AM   #150  

Welcome Maisy!
Is that your real name? I always thought that name was so pretty...
One of the tips I have for eating with a family member who doesn't like what I like, or doesn't want to eat healthier is to do 2 things:
1.)Trick them- . Make the same stuff you used to do, only smaller changes that they don't notice...for instance, when I make a homemade pizza, I buy the Kraft Mozzerella cheese in the 2% milk variety, instead of the full fat version...it saves about 10-20 calories a serving...and all of those little changes add up! I also use extra lean ground beef instead of regular-Kroger sells Laura's Lean Ground beef-and it has the nutrition label on it already...I changed my kids applesauce cups from regular to unsweetened, and so on...little changes that they don't even notice!
2.) I also find that I can make small substitutions, like if Jason cooks on the grill-he may throw on burgers or hot dogs for him and the kids...but I'll have him throw on a chicken breast for me...it can be cooked at the same time, no extra work-I buy the individually frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts they have in the big bags in the freezer section. Sometimes I'll make chicken breasts for everyone-but cook up some veggies or a salad for me, and maybe mashed potatoes or something like that for everyone else...
Congrats on your going to the gym...I really think that to make the change, you have to learn to like exercise and the way it makes you feel afterwards...I also think that it is important to have the change in mindset...that this has to be a way of life, not another "diet."
Aphil