General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-24-2003, 10:32 PM   #121  
One day at a time

Phew! Crisis has passed. Thanks for the pep talk/encouragement Missymont. I didn't give in (other than those 4 Doritos (48 calories, ouch - definitely NOT worth it). I was going to go do 20 minutes on the Nordic Track, but got sidetracked by phone calls, etc. We've got a big silent auction/fair at our school this Saturday, and I'm the data entry person for all the auction items. You'd think people would get their auction donations in sooner, but I'm still getting calls from people wanting to add an item. I'm grateful for the donations, but goodness, can't they get on it a little sooner? Anyway, I've been sitting at this dang computer ALL day and I'm still here. I'm printing off all the bid sheets as I type. I can't leave the computer 'cause my printer sometimes jams and causes a big mess, so I have to babysit it. I was very fortunate to have the day today to work on the auction since I was supposed to drive my oldest and some of his classmates for a 19200 meter relay race this morning. It's been raining so hard here, but the race was on rain or shine and I would have had to stand in the rain for several hours (not that I would have minded watching the kids run) getting drenched and freezing. They had more than enough drivers, so I was let off and instead I got a LOT of work done.

I've eaten my limit of calories for the day and it's only just after 7 pm. Hopefully I don't get too hungry for an evening snack. I guess I'll just have to go for a walk if I do .

Ideal: Sounds like you're doing great! Only 20 points - that's terrific. It's always great to get a workout doing stuff you didn't think would be a workout (lbuilding that fence is like killing 2 birds with one stone, huh?)
I'd also like to try your recipe for the cake with 7Up. I have the same question as Kina though, you don't add anything to the mix but the 7Up?

Aphil: That smoothy recipe sound delish. I'll have to try it.

Jacklyn: I'm glad the BFL is going well for you and hubby. I'm not a morning person, but every once in a while my body does a funny thing and wakes up early. If I take advantage of it and actually get out of bed, I feel great for the rest of the day. It's so nice to get an early start, makes me feel more in control of my life. I also love being up and awake before the rest of the house starts to stir. Good for you on your discipline.

Kina: I heard there were tornadoes in Texas and Oklahoma. I know you're in Texas. Were they close to you? I sure hope not.

Missy: Isn't it neat how things sometimes work out and that you weren't out and about with that awful weather. No tornadoes I hope. We're not in tornado country here, but the fear instead is earthquakes. I've never experienced and bad one (knock on wood), but felt a rather small one a couple of years ago. It centered in Seattle and they had quite a bit of damage. Let me tell you, that shaking is a very scary feeling!

Well, on that note, I'm off. I've printed 61 of my 262 bid sheets. I guess I'll be here a while yet.

Ciao for now!
willbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:18 AM   #122  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Default Hi Ya'll

Willbe~~~Temptations are the worst for me. Sometimes if I get a large glass of cold water. Another nifty treat would be frozen fruit-sicles. I don't know howto make them myself but it's a yummy thought! The tornadoes that have been in the news were in Venus and fortunate for me, I don't live near Venus, TX. But thank you for your concern. OH! To resize the pic you want to attach just click on edit and choose to resize and change the pixels to the size you want. It may take a few tries to get it right.

Amy~~~Thank you for the "how-to" measurements. I am going to cut and paste them to a word document. You are wonderful resource for information...have I told you that before?

Jacklyn~~~Way to go on the BFL. I hear that is a tough regimen. Be sure to warm up before everything...you don't want to pull any muscles.

Well I better finish getting my hair done. My kids are singing this morning and I am waiting for Mom to get here so that we can go. Take care everyone...make good choices today.

Hugs & Smiles, Kina
Kina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:27 AM   #123  

I like this group and would like to join!

I've been following WW, but was introduced to a similar points system that I find easier to follow than even WW, so now I'm starting to follow that.

I am 49 years old and the years have proven to me over and over again that the only way I can stay at a normal weight is through reducing calories and excercise. There's no magic.

The WW points were just an easier way of counting calories, but now I've found calorie points. Apparently, dieticians have known about this system and have been using it for years, but for some odd reason it's not very well known.

I'd like to change my username from WWbabe to my real name, but I don't know how! Can someone tell me how? Thanks!
wwbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:42 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello everyone!
Drumroll please....
I just went swimsuit shopping....
It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...I ended up buying two suits, one in a size 16 for now, and one in a 14 for HOPEFULLY the end of the summer... It will sit on my dresser now for more motivation!
The one for now is actually pretty cool-at the lake and campsite we stay at a lot in the summer, there are a lot of people and family there, and while I still have a 2 piece that I wear sunbathing at home, I wanted something a little more "modest" to wear out in front of everyone. I wear a small one at home, but I have a lot of stretch marks on my very upper thighs and lower tummy, so I like to have them covered up in public.
I bought a size 16 suit that is sort of a fake tanktini/shorts thing. It has a nude swimsuit liner inside and you put it on like a one-piece, but attached top of it is a tanktini/tank top that is navy blue with some decoration, and then navy blue shorts are attached at the bottom. It looks really nice on, like you are wearing a tank and shorts-you really cannot tell that it is an actual swimsuit. I thought that would be great for walking around chasing after the kids.
The size 14 I bought for "motivation" is really nice-I tried one on in a 16, so I could see what it looked like. It is a black one piece with the top of the bust area in a separate fabric...it is a black fabric with a white print and silvery sparkles. The top around the edges of the straps and separating the bust area from the rest is piped in white. The bottom is all black, with the skirted area sort of starting right under the bust and flaring out-almost like a lingerie chemise-with the black swimsuit panty bottom worn underneath. It REALLY accentuates the bosom area-and shows off the arms, so I figure-draw attention to the good and cover up the rest! It IS really flattering-and will be good motivation for me-because I want to wear it!
They are both the good ones that have the built in bra support in them-I can't wear suits without good bust support...the only downfall is that all of the cutesy little suits you see for about $20, and I have to get the ones with the built in bras and all...which usually run $30-$40 at Wal-Mart, I can only imagine if I were to buy one in a more expensive department store-I have seen the more supportive suits there from $40-$80! (For $80...I better look like Cindy Crawford in the darn thing!)
We have to go out to the campground this weekend and clean out the camper, mow the yard, start getting things set up...we keep our camper there year round-Jason's parents, grandma, his best friends family, and aunt and uncle do as well. We just pay a yearly fee, and they have electricity hookup and everything for our campers. I could take it or leave it, but the kids love it, and Jason has been going there since he was a kid-fishing, swimming, etc.
I have to go to the grocery store tonight, and I am trying to make up a list...I want to try to make a new recipe or something this week...
WWbabe-welcome!!!! It is always great to see new faces around here! You are totally right...you have to eat less and healthier, and exercise...and expect it to take time-there is NO magic!
Aphil

Last edited by aphil; 04-25-2003 at 11:45 AM.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:42 PM   #125  

Hello everyone! Welcome WWbabe! I don't know how to help you with the name change, I'm pretty computer illiterate. I like your current name though!!

I just realized once again yesterday why I love this site! I was at work yesterday telling some of the co-workers about the BFL plan and of course there were a couple that were openly negative about the whole deal. It's a 12 week program and one of my co-workers who proudly tells everyone that she weighs 96 pounds, said that she thought the whole program was a hoax and then looked me over saying "I guess we'll see in 3 months". grrrrrrrrrr

Why can't people be supportive and encouraging that I am trying to make a positive change in my life? At least I can come here without facing condescending remarks and seek support. Okay enough complaining for me. I've decided that I will use those comments for motivation and I will "see in 3 months"!!!!

Everyone have a great day and week end! Everyone seems to be doing a great job!
jacklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 03:27 PM   #126  

BFL is definitley not a hoax...it is a sound weightlifting/bodybuilding regime....jacklyn, I incorporate a lot of BFL into my regime, although I do a few thing differently...you will get results. I lost a half inch in each of my thighs over the past month doing weightlifting...in three months your legs shoudl be strong enough to strangle your little 96 pound co-worker with...just kidding!
Aphil
Old 04-25-2003, 03:36 PM   #127  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Hhahahahaha...bad influences in here today! Secretively *strangle her Jacklyn* No, Jacklyn don't let the voices influence you. LOL You know Jacklyn people can be so negative; especially when they feel that they may have competition. It sounds like she just may be one of those very vain people and can't stand that at some point she may have to compete with your beauty. I'm sure you get plenty of attention with just your wonderful personality and it will just be that much more up against her. Sometimes people just say awful things to keep you down. Just like Aphil says it is REAL.

Hugs & Smiles, Kina

PS...welcome WWBabe...I think you need to get in touch with Suzanne or one of the ladies who created 3FC and talk to them about changing your name.
Kina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 07:49 AM   #128  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Talking LEAVING FOR ROAD TRIP TODAY!

Hello everyone!

Aphil, your swimsuits choices sound wonderful! Very flattering and sexy!

wwbabe, welcome! Here you willfind friendship, support, and willpower!

Idealperson, congrats on the inches lost! That is so super!!

Jacklyn, we say "pffft" to that "Negative Nellie" - youwill be flexing your gorgeous muscles at her in a couple of months!

willbe, yay to you for not giving in to the cravings! You are doing SO well. I hope the benefit auction goes smoothly.

Hello to everyone else!

I will post my measurements, from my starting time of Feb. 2002.

Weight - 176
Bust - 38"
Waist - 31"
Hip - 38"
Left thigh - 25 1/2"
Right thigh - 26"
Left arm - 14 3/4 "
Right arm - 14 1/2"
Calf - 17"

TODAY
Weight - 144-145 (it hovered!)
Bust - 35"
Waist - 28
Hip - 35
Left thigh - 23
Right thigh - 23"
Left arm - 12 1/2"
Right arm - 12"
Calf - 15 1/2

COUNTING CALORIES AND EXERCISE WORKS!

Now, the road trip!!! Have to wait til husband comes home from his night shift, and let him sleep a few hours. I am all packed (whoa, didn't think my stuff would be so heavy! It will add about 40 pounds to my bike) and once he wakes up we will eat some lunch, top off some bike fluids, HUG our boys goodbye then take off!!!

Today we are heading to Newburgh, NY (about 60 miles south of Albany) where we're meeting a fellow rider from Taunton, Mass. We're spending the night at a Super *, then tomorrow onto Pennsylvania, near Harrisburg area, and spending the night at the home of a fellow biker.

Tuesday, a long day - almost 475 miles to Dayton, Ohio. Reservations at a Day's Inn.

Wed., from Ohio to St. Louis. Thursday, noon, at the Arch, is where we are to meet our online riding friend who is coming from San Francisco, plus some other online biking friends. One of these guys, who lives in St. Louis, will host a BBQ for us that night.

Friday, we leave St. Louis around noon, then basically back-track home. Expect to arrive home Monday afternoon.

Formost, is my concern for safety. I will be wearing my ballistic, armored gear (yeah, it's really called that!) and concentrate on all I've learned. Next is to have fun! and a close third is to watch what I eat . I can't bring my weights, lol, but I will at least be able to do crunches, pushups, and I think I've memorized my dear Gilad enough to do most of his routine.

So you won't hear from me for a week, but I'll be thinking of y'all!

Love, Holly
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 08:05 PM   #129  

Holly,
God bless you on your trip! We'll all be here to read all about it when you come back!
tryin'hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 12:00 AM   #130  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default HEEELLLOOOO!!!

Hey everyone!!

Well... After a 2 week plateau on WW.... I have started something new! I tried to do the BFL program a year ago, got sidetracked, long story but I was not ready to give my 150% to it (or even 50% at the time!!) and now I am on Day 2 and feeling great.

I am a weight recorder at WW so I will keep going to the meetings (for free!!) for the motivation, and try to keep my mouth shut whenever someone condones weight training!!

I have had a hectic 2 weeks, giving notice at my current job, done 2 overnight rides on the motorbikes (can't wait to hear about your trip Holly!!)..... and just been so busy lately!!

I will check through the posts and give a better response later today!!

Take care everyone!!
Kanola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 12:25 AM   #131  
One day at a time

Hi everybody,

Holly: It's finally here...time to hit the road. Have a wonderful, fabulous, absolutely couldn't be better, great, fantastic, and especially, safe, journey. It sounds like a lot of fun. Do your best with the food and exercise, but just enjoy this week biking around and spending time with friends. We'll miss you!

Kanola: Welcome back. You've been missed! You know, sometimes you hit a wall and you just have to try something different. Maybe BFL will just give you the ooomph you need to get the ball rolling again. It doesn't hurt to do different things to make life interesting.

I've had a very bad weekend with the food. We had our Big Event, the auction/fair at our school, which went very well. We raised about $14000. First it was the busyness of getting ready for it, then the busy big day, then the tired "I'm glad it's over and I don't want to be bothered with watching what I eat". Needless to say, I haven't done too well, and I haven't had my water or exercise either. Tomorrow it's back on the band wagon. Weekends are so hard. I just don't have the routine that I have on weekdays. I'm also going to weigh myself tomorrow to see what the damage is. I started at 201, was at 198 last Friday, then 197 on Monday (after Easter even, I couldn't believe it), so hopefully I'm not back to square one. I don't think I will be 'cause I haven't done THAT badly.

I spent the evening today listening to Nick (my oldest - 12 years) practice a band piece with some friends for our church's upcoming auction next Saturday. Yeah - another auction! They're playing "It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got no Swing". Anybody heard that before? Nick plays trombone, they also have a sax, fiddle, trumpet and drum (oh, and their piano teacher is going to accompany them on the piano, she's also their director). These kids have all not been playing for more than one or two years, and it actually didn't sound too bad. They need to work more though if they're going to perform on Saturday. It will be their big debut. They're so cute!!

The house is coming along. The drywalling should be done by Friday, then the painters will paint the first coat on Monday, then cabinets...it's all happening so fast. We should be moving by mid June and I've only packed one box . I better get a move on and start going through all our junk. I don't want to take 12 years worth of stuff along with me!

I hope you've all had a good weekend. I look forward to reading all about it.

Brenda
willbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:43 AM   #132  

Hi everyone!
Well, it is early Mondy morning-about 6:20am here. I am up getting some things done before the kids get up-laundry, sewing, Raiden's thank-you notes, etc.
Kanola-like I said earlier in the week...I follow a lot of BFL principles in my weight training-especially since my stepdad bodybuilds...I can't imagine ANYONE saying anything derogitory about weight training in WW? Is it just about training in general, or about doing it heavily? I thought everyone knew how good it was for you...I think WW has some good principles in their plan-such as being able to eat regular food, allowances for occasional treats, focusing on portion control, etc. but it is a more food based program-most plans are...and I think it is very important to have knowledge of a plan that focuses so much on exercise as well. Slim-Fast, WW, Jenny Craig, and so many other structured plans are food oriented, and the exercise they reccommend is so "general." The basic 30 minutes a day, or what have you...they really don't go into what exercises do what for what body parts, and so on, and why it is important to have a well rounded routine each week.
willbe-don't be too hard on yourself-getting in control when your shcedule changes and such will take some time. I have had to learn over the years to "prepare" for such events or schedule changes...and how to deal with holiday parties and dinners...I am sure that you have not gone back to square one...the key is to realize that it is "only food." I also know the piece that you spoke of that your son is playing...(my husband and I are BIG music fans...there used to be this show called Rock and Roll Jeopardy, and we wanted to be on it SO bad, with the hopes that they would have a "couples" tournament, like a lot of game shows do...we both know a lot about pop culture type stuff, and most music from the 60's until now, but Jason is also REALLy into swing music, techno, old bluegrass, and old blues-like Muddy Waters, etc. I love a lot of kindof alternative folk music, like Bob Dylan, Ani Difranco, Indigo Girls, and a bunch of other stuff most people don't listen to like middle eastern music...so our cd collection is VERY DIVERSE. )
I have had a busy, busy weekend. We moved the swingset to the other side of the yard, which required excavating the sandbox in the bottom and putting the sand in the wheelbarrow, and taking the set apart into two pieces and moving it, and then putting it back together...boy am I glad I weight train! The neighbors just stared...I guess it did look kindof funny to see a woman carrying half of a large wooden swingset across the yard, right alongside her husband with the other half of it!
We also have been doing the pool thing , filling up the water, doing the chemicals, and all of that...my daughter was so dissapointed that it wasn't ready to swim in yet...but it was only 70* and the water was not ready-but you know how kids are-they don't care if it is 60*.
Well, I best get going-I have a skirt to finish today, and lots of housework to do...plus my workout. Have a great Monday!
Aphil
Old 04-28-2003, 08:35 AM   #133  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default hhmmm..... I think I need to clarify.....

Just a quick comment before I hit the hay for some zzzzz's to let my muscles repair

I am not sure if WW is different overseas, but here they definately do not encourage to use weights, more walking, walking, walking, walking........ the leader actually says to not do any weight training until you have reached goal, and have maintained..... fair enough, but that is not what I want to do right now..... so I am going to keep working out, eating BFL style and cutting out the 'treats' that just seem to make me crave sugar sooooo much.

Don't get me wrong, I think WW is a fantastic program, it DOES work and I lost 22 lbs gradually on the program. I got my eating under control, began to be diligent at the gym and made myself accountable. I have gone from an Aus 16 - Aus 12 (baggy) and have bought some Aus 10's (Aus sizes are 1 size bigger than an American/Canadian size). The plan Works.

Having said that..... I need a change. After 2 days I have heaps more energy... probably because of the high carbs I was feeding myself (protein vrs carbs is not taken into account in the overall points method). I just need to shake things up.

Sorry if I annoyed the diligent WW people out there!! I am still with you girls!! I am the smiling girl at a 9am Saturday meeting (and 6 pm Tuesday night ones too!) telling you not to worry about the scale results.... next week will be better Just stay for the meeting and let her motivate you to stick with it

See.... I am not so bad eh? *flexes bicep*

Nola.
Kanola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 09:39 AM   #134  

Who did you annoy?
Nola-I am not anti WW at all...and I am also not a WW member...I totally agree with you that they should promote more weight training...all programs should. There is no reason to avoid weight training until you reach your goal-it has helped me lose inches and firm up much faster! The only thing I recommend is not to go to a gym if you are a beginner and pick up some big weight when they have no idea what they are doing...you know, the type that do a couple of bicep curls and nothing else...I think uneducation is the major factor in injury resulting from weight training. You have to know what exercises to do, know proper form, etc. I have weight trained for about 10 years except for during mid to late pregnancies.
I agree-WW definitely works...and is a fabulous program-it is just that I wish that certain groups supported exercise more-other things besides walking. Walking is great, but you need other exercise as well to balance things out. You find that since WW has different members and leaders all over, that some are more exercise oriented than others...why don't you have your group leader email me...(wink) I would truly like to find out her reasoning behind her theory-waiting until you are at goal. Some diet guy said that was well on Oprah a few weeks ago...that just doesn't make any sense at all to me...Why not firm and lose at the same time, instead of losing and THEN having to firm everything up? I don't know about everyone else, but when I am at goal, I want to be thin AND firm, not still trying to cover up my thighs...Nola-you are doing right.
Aphil
Old 04-29-2003, 09:56 AM   #135  

Hello everyone!

Hi Nola! I just started doing the BFL as well. I just completed my first week on Saturday and had a free day on Sun. Now on day 2 of week 2 I'm doing pretty good so far. The work outs have been pretty intense and I've been pretty sore but I am definitely pleased with the program. I don't know if it is because my husband is doing it with me, but I really feel like this is something that I can stick with. I actually enjoy working out with the weights and am looking forward to any progress. Best of luck to you with the program as well! I'm pretty much doing it by the book right now, so we'll see!

Hope everyone else is doing well! Check in later!
jacklyn is offline   Reply With Quote