General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:13 AM   #211  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Recently I've had a hard time keeping on plan. Simple diet is how I started this year. So I'm jumping back into simple diet for a while.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #212  
Hooping my Life Away

In less than a week, I'm having great results so far. I have less water weight from my week offplan and less than that. I'm sorta hoping that I may hit my 15% with my first week on SD.

Although how do you battle people's comments when you are using shakes and what not because it's not "real food?" I know how to eat real food and eat healthy. But I really like using SD because it's simple and easy. I wake up not worry (much) about what I'm going to eat today. I've already been using meals for my work at lunches.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #213  

Wink

Hi,

When I was on SD and people would comment on the "not real food thing",I would simply say "Oh my doctor thinks this is best for me at this time."

This worked well for me as nobody had anything else to say.

It is much better than getting agressive and implying that it is none of their business.

Actually it was also true as my doc said lose weight anyway you can without being reckless.
Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #214  
Hooping my Life Away

I've been exploring past the lean cuisines and lean gourmets that I've been eating for eons for things that fit in the parameters. I'm really excited about two of the meals I have to try from another brand. Not "diet" related but works with the program. I really wanted the coffee (with real coffee!) atkins. Fit everything except I think it was a few grams of fat over the limit. GRR.

First week 60% on plan, I lost 4 lbs.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #215  

S/C/G: 210/209/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm going to start the SD this week, I just bought the book and the information in it has informed me alot and makes me want to lose weight more! (The health problems that come with being overweight) Wish me luck!
pkmnmstrshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #216  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

I'm curious about this diet and have been reading some of this thread for info on it but don't really understand how it works. So what is it about? Is it suitable for people that don't live in the US?
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #217  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Where is everybody? Has everyone gone onto other plans, or are you posting somewhere else, such as in the Ideal Protein threads?

Anyone interested in resurrecting this thread?

Last edited by kaplods; 07-14-2013 at 08:19 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #218  

S/C/G: 220/178/140

I am glad to see this thread resurrected. I have been following this plan more or less. I have 3 shakes, 1 frozen meal, 1 home made meal and lots of fruits and veggies. I have been doing it for about 10 days now. Before this I was taking a more intuitive eating approach and was plateaued for a long time. I actually found myself craving more structure so I decided to count calories. When I came across this plan it sounded like the perfect fit for my busy schedule at the moment.

I can happily say I have finally broken through the plateau :-)
jazbcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #219  

It took me a while to embrace the plan, because I strongly support a whole food paleo approach, but my health issues often make it difficult to invest the time and energy into food preparation. As a result, I was eating well and "clean" when I felt good, but all my efforts and good intentions would fly out the window when I didn't have the time or energy to cook.

Then I had a bit of a downturn healthwise this winter and ended up losing control of my meals and weight.

I still consider paleo my ideal food plan, but don't find it practical when I'm short on time and energy.

I've been following "The Simple Diet," for the past 3 weeks (with a couple off plan days such as 4th of July at MIL's), and have lost 13 lbs.

I am making many of my own shakes, soups, and entrees using TSD guidelines when I can, but I also have easy options when I'm not up to cooking from scratch.

I've never been a big "structure" or "rule" fan, but making my life easier sure is sounding good.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-16-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #220  

S/C/G: 220/178/140

My ultimate goal is a more whole foods approach too. Although I have been eating a lot more fruits and veggies so in some ways I feel like this is a step up health wise. I have successfully lost weight in the past with low carb plans but was never able to turn it into a lifestyle. I have never been much for sweets but love a good bowl of oatmeal or a nice piece of bread on occasion. When I tried to do low carb I dealt with cravings constantly.

Its weird that I have found myself craving some kind of structure lately. I guess its because I have been really over thinking things and want a plan where I don't have to think as much. Its interesting that intuitive eating turned into this obsessive thing for me. Thoughts like "Am I hungry enough to eat yet?" or "Did I stop eating at the right time or did I overeat?" would circle around my head.

Sometimes when I drink a shake or frozen meal I think about how its not the healthiest option out there. But when I think of how I used to eat when I was at my highest weight I realize that this is a huge step in the right direction. For me right now the fact that I am actually sticking to this and it seems to be working is outweighing any worries about the foods I am consuming.

Congratulations on the 13 lb loss :-)
jazbcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #221  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

kaplods Congratulations on your 13 lb loss. I've read your story and know you've had slow losses so I am as thrilled for you as if it had happened to me.

I never heard of the SD, but was eating similar to it a few years ago when DH daughter and family moved in with us and had to stop. I really did good then. I've been doing different things with the results of losing and gaining the same lbs. Today, I remembered how well this worked for me 2 yrs ago and decided to start it again. I like the Intuitive Eating woe although I do fit fruit into my morning before I eat my 1st regular meal of the day. Since DH only eats one actual meal a day, my 1st meal of the day is our main meal of the day eaten between 2 or 3. I really don't care to cook a meal later in the day just for me, but if I don't eat something then I will have the need to munch at night. Eating a healthy frozen tv dinner is the most practical thing for me to eat for an evening meal. Since I'm a routine person, this works out great for me. I do allow for off days, but even then, I find it fairly easy to to most of the time. I'm just getting back on the wagon with this and will let y'all know how it goes.

Jazzcure I like IE as well but my problem is that I can't always tell when I'm hungry because I have a difficult time knowing if I'm actually hungry or just want the taste. I lean toward the whole foods/paleo eating too. I think paleo is the best and whole foods is second. I have to face the fact that I'm never going to eat paleo however, I can come close to WF eating.

My doctor told me that any diet will work as long you find the one you can live with. I've search for long time. Since this fits my lifestyle and I believe I can live with it, I'm going to be doing this whether we have the thread or not. However, it would be nice to be doing it with others.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #222  

I went on line and read Dr. Anderson's plan. I tried it the way he says for one day and it was way too much for me to eat. I basically lean toward Intuitive Eating and I believe that I did learn some things from the SD plan that I will actually make IE work better for me. So I'll be taking those lessons and staying with IE. The main thing I've learned is that there really are no good or bad foods in moderation. I also like the name Simple Diet which I will adapt to my IE way of eating. I've learned and read so many things about how to do so many ways of dieting and some are confusing. I honestly believe keeping things simple when it comes to eating is the best way to go; especially for me.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #223  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
I went on line and read Dr. Anderson's plan. I tried it the way he says for one day and it was way too much for me to eat. I basically lean toward Intuitive Eating and I believe that I did learn some things from the SD plan that I will actually make IE work better for me. So I'll be taking those lessons and staying with IE. The main thing I've learned is that there really are no good or bad foods in moderation. I also like the name Simple Diet which I will adapt to my IE way of eating. I've learned and read so many things about how to do so many ways of dieting and some are confusing. I honestly believe keeping things simple when it comes to eating is the best way to go; especially for me.
The plan minimum would only come to about 700 calories (based on 3 shakes at 100 calories each, 2 entries at 140 calories each and 5 servings of low-calorie vegetables (1 cup raw or 1/2 cup cooked).

700 calories was too much food for you to eat?

Last edited by kaplods; 07-21-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #224  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
The plan minimum would only come to about 700 calories (based on 3 shakes at 100 calories each, 2 entries at 140 calories each and 5 servings of low-calorie vegetables (1 cup raw or 1/2 cup cooked).

700 calories was too much food for you to eat?
Thanks Kaplods. Maybe I needed to get the book.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #225  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Thanks Kaplods. Maybe I needed to get the book.

The plan is simple, but not so simple that I wouldn't recommend at least browsing the book. I went to Barnes & Noble and looked through the book and thought that would be enough. I ended up buying the kindle version, because it had so much helpful information.

The plan's daily guidelines are 3 "shakes" + 2 entrees + 5 servings of vegetables or fruit. Soups can be substituted for shakes as long as they meet the guidelines. Bars are optional and should be considered "for emergency use," or as a treat. The author suggest using no more than 7-8 bars per week. They're not supposed to replace "shakes" on a regular basis.

While vegetables are not technically limited, they're not to be considered an all-you-can-possibly-eat option. All fresh, whole fruits and vegetables are allowed. Dried fruit and fruit juice are not allowed. Avocado, potatoes, sweet potato, legumes, corn, and fruit (not juice or dry fruit) are allowed, but the author explains that choosing the lowest calorie options will maximize weight loss.

The guidelines for the meals are:

Shakes 100-200 calories 10-26g protein 0-6g fat
Entrees 140 - 300 calories 10-25g protein 0-9 g fat
Soups 100- 200 calories 6-20g protein 0-6 g fat
Bars 100-200 calories 6-20g protein 0-6g fat

Exercise is required, and that's also explained in the book, along with phase 2 and maintenance which allow more food choices.

The plan is designed for people of all sizes, and depending on your calorie needs you can choose from the lower or higher end of the calorie spectrum. If you're hungry you can even add extra shakes and entrees - but if doing so stalls your weight loss, you need to stick to the basic 3+2+5 formula and may need to choose from the lowest calorie options in all the categories.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-21-2013 at 08:48 PM.