General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

Omigosh that's the same reason I stopped heating in plastic, long before the warnings came out. I figured if our food was going into it..it's going into me.

I also am annoyed that the lids only fit the EXACT brand it came with. I have some from Reynold's, some that came with luncheon meat, Target's generic, and another brand I can't remember...none fit the lids except for the ones that came with them.

Thanks for letting me know it pops out easily, I figure it must. I grew up with a family that made big meals and froze in glass, which we usually thawed in the sink with water, but it's thicker. I figured it must work for plastic too.
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #167  

S/C/G: 234/229/?

Kaplods and Serenity, both of you have done so extremely well with weight loss! Has it been on this plan or several different plans?

In the book, the calorie level is around 1100. What do you normally eat? Unless I can find the lower end of the calorie range on the meal replacements, my intake will be higher.

There are only 2 issues I am having to come to terms with...black coffee (I like non-dairy creamer and there seems to be no room in the plan for that ) and no additional fat (I like my veggies in olive oil and a low fat dressing on my salad). Everything else is not of concern.

Do you make exceptions? If so, do you cut back on something else?
3Boys4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #168  

My "main" plan is The Simple Diet, except for June and part of July, I stick with it probably 90% of the time. My "backup" is calorie counting which I keep at about 1200-1400 a day. When I follow the diet 100% it's about 1111 calories, seriously it always seems to be that. I do track everything in Lose It! which is free but any of the programs will work if you want to track, it's not mandatory that way though (his diary/journal thing would work too).

I DO use salad dressing, I find Maple Grove makes some great ones and I've also used I think it's Wishbone's Salad Spritzers. Won't give up those. If it means I get at "goal" 1 month later, oh well LOL.

I don't drink milk at all if I can avoid it or coffee, so can't help you there. I think there is some powdered creamer as MIL uses it, but I can't attest to the taste.

ETA: I just count the calories in the dressing, I don't cut back anywhere else.

Last edited by SerenityDiva; 09-12-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #169  

S/C/G: 234/229/?

Thank you for sharing!

I am starting in the morning.
3Boys4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #170  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Boys4Me View Post
Kaplods and Serenity, both of you have done so extremely well with weight loss! Has it been on this plan or several different plans?

...Do you make exceptions? If so, do you cut back on something else?

For me, the weight loss has been on many different plans. I have "dieter's ADD," and get bored very easily.

Also, my weight loss has been EXTREMELY slow, like 1/10th the rate I've ever lost before. True I've never been as inactive due to pain and mobility issues like I do know, and I hadn't ever been diagnosed with prediabetes and low-thyroid when trying to lose weight before, but I've also made a conscious decision "this time" to make gradual changes.

I also until recently decided not to focus on weight loss at all. I'd never succeeded at weight loss, so "this time" I decided not to even try. I decided that I would make healthy changes I was willing to commit to indefinitely, even if no weight loss resulted at all (and for the first two years, I didn't experience any weight loss, but I did get healthier and more active).

By removing weight loss as a goal, it became one of the rewards rather than a goal. It works much better as a reward for me, than as a goal. Lately though, I've been wanting to speed up the weight loss, without resorting to the habits that made weight loss unsustainable in the past.

When I have the time and energy to prepare all of my meals, I do best on a paleo diet, and I prefer a grazing schedule. However that's not working well for my right now.

On "good days" I don't want to spend all my time and effort on grazing and food preparation, and on my "bad days" I can't spend all my time and effort on grazing and food prep.

I've also started doing some reading on PSMF (protein sparing modified fasting) such as Ideal Protein, and Medifast... "The Simple Diet," seemed to be one of the simplest ways to do a PSMF.

I haven't yet decided how long I will stay on "The Simple Diet" as written. I usually do make some modifications to plans. For example, when I tried the South Beach diet, I did eat sweet corn, fresh pineapple, and fresh watermelon much more frequently then recommended (and it never seemed to hurt my weight loss, but I usually have less problem losing weight in the summer months so that may have had something to do with it).

Most diets I translate into exchange plans eventually. When my weight loss stalled on South Beach, I switched to Atkins. When my weight loss stalled on Atkins induction, I converted to a low-carb exchange plan and followed lower-carb principles in choosing my foods. When I started reading about paleo diets (as much for the fibromyalgia and autoimmune issues I have as for weight loss) I converted paleo to an exchange plan.

I'm not converting "The Simple Diet" to an exchange plan, because there's no need, but I haven't decided whether I'm going to use primarily TSD or whether I'll alternate it with my paleo exchange plan.

My calories until recently have usually been around the 1800 calorie range, and for the record, I do have a terrible time sticking to any plan, which is why I'm determined to spread the word that you do not have to follow any plan perfectly to lose weight.

I've always been taught and encouraged to consider any violation of any diet plan as failure, and that repeated and frequent failures were an indication that I "wasn't ready" for weight loss.

I've found that to be bull-puckey. By that definition, I have "failed off" every one of my 105 lbs. Actually, 100 lbs as of this moment, because I'm up five pounds from a couple entirely on-plan, but high-sodium days Monday and Tuesday (I relied on store-bought frozen meals rather than the ones I prepared because I had forgotten to take out my own meals to defrost and because of errands was in a hurry).

Because I was on-plan calorically, it has to be water weight, so I'm not worried. It'll come off in a day or two, as always.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #171  

Good luck 3Boys4Me It really is simple once you get the hang of it.

Kaplods you know I TOTALLY love once again your take on how people feel guilted into being "failures" because they eat 1 gram of carbs too much or whatever no-no is on a diet. I can't say I'm losing slower or faster than before, really before was always after kids and generally I didn't have time to worry about it, but *my* thought is if it is not going up (I mean yes weight fluctuates but I mean like huge jumps of non-water weight gain) I'm thrilled, but more so that I can MOVE again. Having pain and issues with mobility sucks! And if I can lose weight and look what I feel is nicer, WAY cool.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #172  

S/C/G: 224

Height: 5'2"

Just thought I'd update my experience so far. I love the simplicity of the Anderson plan - your choices are basically shakes, frozen entrees, fruits & vegetables, with an occasional protein bar snack. That makes shopping super easy and I've actually found myself consuming more fruits & veggies than I have on previous plans.

The down side - while I've lost a couple of pounds (today is Day 23 for me), I haven't lost any inches off my waist or hips, which makes me wonder where the fat is coming off (maybe from my head! nyuk nyuk!).

Maybe I'm just being too impatient and expecting faster results. Do you think two pounds down in 23 days is good? considering that my exercise is basically just walking - oh and also, apparently I am deep into a mostly symptom-free (thank God) menopause! That might make it trickier too, right?

Thanks for any input. :-)

Last edited by stoogeswoman; 09-23-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: i'm an idiot
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #173  

S/C/G: 224

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
For me, the weight loss has been on many different plans. I have "dieter's ADD," and get bored very easily.
(and by the way, LOL!! me too!! )
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #174  

Two pounds is good, but I'm betting it's menopause too. Hormones are tricky little buggers. If you're worried start calorie counting and see what's what.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #175  

Today, I learned that a cup of my homemade yogurt fits within the guidelines for shakes.

http://www.fitclick.com/how_many_cal...ilk_?fd=438229

When I make smoothies with it, I add frozen strawberries (I just weigh out what the bag says is a 50 calorie serving) and a about 10g of undenatured, unflavored protein (210 to 220 total calories - but that includes the fruit - so for the diet it would count as a shake with 160-170 calories plus one serving of fruit).

Knowing that I really don't have to add the protein is going to make this a lot easier, especially in the morning when I don't always feel like dragging out the blender.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #176  

S/C/G: 205/195.0/165

Default My first post here.....

I have read through all of your posts about this plan. I think I'm going to order the book either on my nook or through amazon. I just found this site on thursday and I've been browsing around since then. Seems like a great place for both inspiration and informtaion. I've always struggled w/ weight and am at my highest now, excluding pregnancy. 180 is normal weight for me, I'd love to be 160-165 though. Anything lower than that just isn't realistic for my body type. I'm a large frame... wear a size 12 at 180 lbs... I'm in a 14 right now at 200. I want back in my 12s!!!
Anyway, I love all the the idea of this plan... I'm off to look for the book
gettingbackinmyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #177  

I bought mine through kindle. I like the kindle edition, except that the charts are a bit hard to read, as is the diary checklist log sample page. I haven't ever tried to print a kindle page, so I'm not sure whether it's possible or not (or how it will print if it is).

The concept is so simple, you don't really need a pre-printed form. A small notebook works well enough.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #178  

Okay, I actually started the simple diet today. I got the nook version last night and read a little before bed and then this morning too. I've done really well today and it seems to be a really simple plan. I do plan on cooking my own meals a few times a week and then saving leftovers too. Does anyone have any frozen meal recommendations.... I'm almost afraid to try anything new because I'm afraid it will be gross. I do have a few choices that I know I like but I need some variety.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #179  

I love this thread, but I see it's sort of floundering. Is that because folks are giving up on the plan, or because it's so simple that there's not much to say
while on it?

If you read between the lines in the book, you can tell that it's actually based on HMR (the book never says this for obvious reasons, but most of the research quoted - if you check the research or if you realize that most of the research is done in hospitals that use HMR - or just know that HMR is the meal replacement and entree program that most hospitals use - and if you check out the HMR website, it uses language that is almost word-for-word that used in the book - even the part recommending 5 plus servings of fruit and veggies and the same language when explaining that people who ate more servings, lost more).

So I was thinking maybe we could combine our thread with the HMR threads (most have just been recipe threads recently) or maybe a generic PSMF thread where anyone on a PSMF could come together.

What do you think, would anyone else be interested in a generic PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) thread where people on PSMF threads could come together and discuss the issues they have in common. So people on any commercial psmf or one of their own or their doctors making could post there.

PSMF diets (or diets that can be done AS PSMF's) would include Atkins induction and some OWL, many ketogenic diets, Ideal Protein, some Metabolic Research Center diets, HMR (Health Management Resources), The Simple Diet, Medifast, Optifast, SlimFast, the Dukan diet, Rapid Fat Loss, probably Nutrisystem... and of course anyone modifying any diet or creating their own that would fit the PSMF criteria (which is pretty simple - high enough in protein to minimize muscle loss and low enough in calories to result in fairly rapid weight loss. Some people will still lose slowly, but these are also folks who lose even slower on other plans. A calorie cut-off doesn't really work because someone who is 500 lbs and on a 2400 calorie diet might be the equivalent of a 150 lb person on an 1100 calorie diet. In both cases the calorie restriction could be considered a PSMF).

What do you think? Would a generic PSMF thread be something anyone would be interested in? Do you think it would be easier to keep a generic PSMF thread alive?

Last edited by kaplods; 10-29-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #180  

I'm finishing day two.... so far so good. Was actually down close to 3 lbs this morning. I'm sure that is water weight but its good to see the scale moving.
Since I'm new I'm not going to give my opinion about the post above, as I'm still trying to find my way around the site. I really like it so far, seems like a lot of motivation and inspiration here. I do wish this thread would pick back up.