General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #316  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Kaplods Thanks for the advice. Like I said, I've known you on other threads and I have to say I was impressed with your determination and feelings about this because I remember you saying yrs back how difficult it was for you to lose weight. I have a package of diet jello and not quite 2 c of Greek yogurt and I plan to make that tonight and put it in the fridge. Thanks for the other advice to about making our own frozen dinners. I think a lot of my cookbooks do have the nutrition included and so do some online recipe sites.

Shabby Yes, I hung on to my 5'3 and then my 5'2 and 1/4 as long as I could, but the last time the doc office measured me I had shrunk to 5'2. It works out okay though because DH #3 is 5'6. So it works for us. I'm so proud of you and Skini taking care of your health and losing weight so you don't have to be diabetic. I am on the diabetic thread here at 3fc, but I won't go on just any diabetic site because I know personally that you can reverse diabetes and as long as you do all the "right" things it will not come back. So I am just as sure that if you do the "right" things with diet and exercise that it never has to develop.

I was diagnosed diabetic the 1st time when I was in my late 40's. With diet and exercise, I got it under control and kept it under control for years. About 6 or 7 years ago (I'm 70 yrs old now), I went to the doctor and told him that I thought my bs was up. He checked me and found that it was up, but not high. The only reason it has been high during these years is because I played around with it and didn't eat right. However, I've recently got my head on straight and I'm in the process of getting under control again.

I can keep it in control with Atkin's Induction, but I am sad to say that I just can't do it for long because I start wanting the carbs again. That is why I was impressed with TSD. My doctor told me 2 things when I started going to him 7 yrs ago. 1) Any diet will work as long as it is something you can live with the rest of your life. 2) He said that he could always tell who worked at controlling their diabetes and who didn't. He is great at supporting whatever I decide to try. Sometimes I do something unconventional and he will say "well if it works? and obviously it does". Which reminds me of something Klapods said about the doctor telling you should be able to eat something without any problem, but you couldn't. This time when I started testing blood sugar, I did it the way my step-sister's husband did when became diabetic. I checked after almost everything I ate to see what I could and couldn't eat. I learned that I could eat 1/2 serving of oatmeal, but if I ate a serving that my blood sugar would shoot way over 200 mg. When I told my doctor, he was surprised, but he said "Well, the numbers don't lie". So now, he trusts me to know what I can and cannot do.

I love this group. Very informative. Thank guys.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #317  

Height: 5'2"

Too funny Kaplods! I dream to be 5'6", in my world you are so tall! My DH is 6'3" so he can reach the top shelf at stores for me! I say I'm 5'2" but now I've shrunk to 5'1 and 3/4's.

Patty, have you tried the Atkins frozen entrees? They are low carb and pretty tasty. They might help with your blood sugar control.
Skini mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #318  

Height: 5'2"

Oops, I meant to say 5'1 1/4 . Wishful thinking!
Skini mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #319  

Good morning to all. Hope everyone had a great Sunday.

I hear all of you on the shrinking - I have to confess - I say I am 5'2" and used to be; but I, too, think I have shrunk. Since I am not old, how could that be???but my twin is 70 I know that I have shrunk.
Kaplods, I would have always loved to be your height; but, I, too, have a tall husband who can reach the top shelves for me, so works out pretty well.
Got my entrees made yesterday - turkey burger recipe, turkey casserole and chicken in the slow cooker.
I have tried the frozen Atkins entrees, but didn't really care for them. Taste for the ones I had was pretty blahh.
I was diagnosed as prediabetic about 6 years ago and have controlled it with diet and exercise. Last AlC was better and has been going down for the last 3 tests, so am so happy that I don't have to use meds.
Hope all have a great day.
shabbyvintagelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #320  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I haven't been here much. I've decided to use the Atkins shakes along with my own low carb homemad meals. I can't handle the bars because of the sugar alcohols give me stomach cramps and potty issues. So I'm staying away from them.

Kaplods - Your idea of having a back up plan has really helped me a lot. I don't like it when I'm doing low carb and I get in a situation where I have to eat carby foods because it derails me. So I'm taking your idea and giving myself a back up plan. Years ago I lost 78 lbs doing Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, but just haven't been able to do it any more. However, I realized today that I can do an Atkins Induction plan most of the time with a CAD back up plan to use in those situations where I have to eat the carby type foods. That way I am taking care of those horrible feelings of "well, I blew my low carb diet". A CAD day will still be an OP day and NO GUILTY/FAILURE feelings. Thanks for sharing how you do your plan. I really believe it is going to help me too stay OP and be successful.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #321  

Hello to everyone! I just started The Simple Diet yesterday, and am so glad to have found it and this thread. I didn't know about this diet and in fact it was through a thread on this site that I first encountered it, a couple of weeks ago. Then I bought the book and viola, here I am! I have been on HMR before, the full clinic program, and was successful (I was on it more than once - yes, I have totally yo-yo dieted. I want to put an end to that this time). This time I want to do it without the heavy expense of the HMR program, and I like the idea of having a bit more flexibility re: which entrees, etc. to use. I picked up some Spiru-tein shakes on Amazon and they really are quite good - I got a pound each of Vanilla Whey and Cookies & Cream whey. For breakfast this morning I had a Diet Peach Snapple with about a quarter nectarine in it, ice, and Spiru-tein Vanilla. They make different formulas but I really want to stay away from soy, as I am hypothyroid. The whey formula has so far been tasty and I've tolerated it well. Each scoop is 110 calories, 14 grams of protein, and 1 gram of fat. Anyway, it shakes up nice and thick and I am not hungry, which is great!

When I did the HMR program in the past I just sort of white-knuckled it doing straight shakes for a long time. While that worked for weight loss, when I ran out of money I really found myself struggling even though I could still purchase the food, as I had come to rely upon the camaraderie and counseling of the program. But I am older now and hopefully more mature! I had two cookies & cream shakes made as hot drinks with coffee yesterday and two Lean Cuisines along with a couple of peaches and a whole bag of frozen red, yellow and green pepper strips. I made those up on the microwave and then put my entree on top of the veggies. It was an incredible amount of food, and I felt much fuller than I ever did on straight shakes.

I have a lot of weight to lose - well over 100 pounds. I've gone madly up and down in weight in my life, from "are-you-a-model?" slim to "are-you-a-whale?" fat. I hope to connect with some folks here who are in a similar boat. It will help me and I think will be fun, too!
Au_Contraire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:38 PM   #322  

Hello to everyone. Have been away from the forum for a while but want to get started back with this plan.
Hi Au_Contraire. I plan on getting back on the Simple Diet Plan the first of next week. I really love the plan and think it is really easy to follow and also a healthy plan. I like to make some of my entrees so I don't get as much sodium since I really have a big problem with that.
I have approx. 25# to lose after losing 40 over the past few years. I have been pretty much yo-yoing lately (well, actually most of my life) so want to stop that once and for all.
When doing this plan, I just felt that it was a way of eating and not a so called "diet".
I know you can lose all you want to lose with this plan and, hopefully, we can help each other. Maybe others will join us too.
shabbyvintagelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #323  

Au Contraire and Shabbyvintahelady, I am restarting the Simple Diet tomorrow. There don't seem to be that many of us. Would yall like to start a check-in thread?
CajunAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #324  

Hello friends I am on this diet also Just ordered the book it is sold out everywere I guess. I am on spark people with this plan also.
classykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #325  

Default The Simple Diet - let's support each other!

Thank you to everyone who responded to me! ShabbyVintageLady, CajunAnnie and classyKaren, I'm so glad that you guys are doing this diet too!

I have a lot to lose - over 100 pounds! But I know that I can achieve my goal, bit by bit, with calmness and sustained action.

I'd love to have a check-in thread for us and anyone else doing this type of diet! I will make it a point to check this board every day and will post what's up with me, and my progress. I would really love it if you guys (and anyone else who is striving similarly) would do the same!

So far, so good for me. I haven't stepped on the scale at all so don't know what I've lost thus far. I am estimating my weight, but have been faithful since I started. I do see improvement in my face, always the first place I notice weight loss. I look better.

I did have to control my imagination last night when I started craving something I could have ordered for delivery. I won't post what it was beyond that it was made with chicken and is very tasty! I really struggled with this as I have an extremely vivid imagination! So I looked up the calories of that online (approximately 520, with lots of fat calories and tons of sodium). Now, I could talk myself into 520 calories, but the thing is I would have had to order at least twice that in order to have it delivered. Once I get in the all-you-can-eat mode, a mode I'm all too familiar with, I'm a mess. I would have eaten both portions, in fact may have ordered and eaten even more than that. I know, it's bad! But I am being honest!

So, what I did was make myself another shake. I'd only had two shakes anyway. I have been using Spiru-tein shakes ordered from Amazon. These are supposed to be made with very cold milk or juice, but I have been making them with water and a splash of coconut milk. I was making them with straight water or Diet Snapple, but when I added a little coconut milk (which is 45 cals per 8-oz. glass, though it's relatively high in fat), the shakes really improved in both texture and taste. I also started adding in a little Sweet & Low and last night added a bit of Hershey's cocoa powder (very low cal, with lots of chocolate flavor). I use a lot of ice and crush it all up in my awesome blender. It yields 3 full 8-oz. glasses of yummy, nutritious shake!

Anyway, after I had my shake, I felt very full, and it was much easier to reject the idea of ordering that stuff. I went to bed earlier than usual, got a full night's sleep, and really feel pretty good and healthy today! Yay!

Here's one thing I know: nothing I really like to eat will disappear off of the face of the earth while I lose weight. There is a time and a place for every experience, and this is my time to embrace my goals and move forward to being healthier, prettier, and happier with myself!

I have also been reading a lot about impulse control, about impulse control techniques, etc. This has been very thought-provoking. Losing weight, especially a significant amount, is a spiritual process, a mental process, and of course a physical process. I wish you all a wonderful successful week and hope to hear back from you guys soon!

xoxox,
Au_Contraire
Old 06-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #326  

Default The Simple Diet - let's support each other!

P.S.,

CajunAnnie, I like your idea of starting a check-in thread. I'm not sure how to do that though! If you start one I'd definitely participate. Thanks for the great idea!

Au_contraire
Old 07-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #327  

I started a check in/support thread in this forum. Hope we can use it to communicate.
CajunAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:44 AM   #328  

Thanks CajunAnnie! I posted on the new check in/support thread you started. I appreciate your having done so!
Old 07-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #329  

S/C/G: 215/207/130

Height: 5"6

Default Recipes

I just got finished reading the simple diet and it sounds good. However I'm not to fond of frozen dinners. Could some of you ladies share recipes for meals that are suitable for the simple diet? Where are u finding your recipes? Thanks!
dundun1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:43 AM   #330  

Just stumbled across this diet in another thread here on 3fc and it sounds great. I was trying to make a homemade version of Wonderslim using grocery store foods, but this is pretty much the same thing without all the matching & fuss. Ordered the book off Amazon last night - hope it comes soon so I can get started.

I do have a couple questions though, after reading through this whole thread. Are the loses really as good / quick as the book says? Is there anyone here who has lost a significant amount of weight using TSD? And what was your experience doing so?

Also - for those of you with kids - what did you feed your kids while you did TSD? I'm a single mom of an 8yo daughter, and hate the idea of cooking a full meal for her only to then fix a frozen dinner for me.
dakotamidnight is offline   Reply With Quote