Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #241  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I love fish. Before I met DH I ate fish and chicken, rarely beef or pork. It's just not my favorite, but he is a beef eater so I got to eating it more, but not really liking it. So now when I want fish I make it, and just make a steak or burgers for him. The only fish he likes is fried, and I prefer grilled or baked.

I was right that DH wouldn't try the corned beef, even though he likes beef. He went to McDonald's and got hamburgers. Works for me! I will try the corned beef when it's done, which should be soon.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:16 AM   #242  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I tried doing a high UD and I don't think it is for me because it just made me hungry and I ended up eating way more than I should have. I don't think I want to do that any more.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #243  

Trish, I don't try to make my UD high necessarily, just what a day would normally be for me. Not a diet day, just a normal day. I don't force it. If I want something, I eat it, but I don't look for ways to increase calories. It just feels like a lot because my DD is so low. Maybe this just isn't for you and you should go back to what you were doing before.

I am still up those 2 pesky pounds from yesterday. Today is a DD so I hope to get rid of them. I think this is a result of the problems I had with the DD on Sunday. I need the really low DD in order to lose, but that's just me. Everyone is different. Also, I shouldn't be weighing every day.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #244  

Morning everyone,,,,,just got a cal from my Drs office reminding me to book diabetes check. I like how she's on top of things. Booked it for right befor Easter,,,she mentioned I gained weight my last appt and haven't lost it yet so I'm giving myself 3 weeks to chisel it off,,,,, maybe this is the motivation I need to stay on track. I always have great intentions it's the follow thru I'm slipping on.
I'm going to set a mini goal of 5 pounds,,,certainly doable in 3 weeks.
Carol sauces in Chinese food have a lot of carbs and sodium,,,either could be the culprit. It will come off again..I love fish to. I bake mine yumm with panko crumbs, butter and lemon mrs. Dash seasoning. It's so good that way. If I flip it half way thru baking it gets crispy to.
Trish I think I would be the same eating that way,,,UD would lead to a feeding frenzy I'm sure...

Ok off to enjoy the sunshine today,,,snow is almosttttt gone here, patches here and there. Hopefully that's it for this year.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #245  

My FBS was 147 and I'm up 2 lbs. I am going to just stick to the 8:16 IF ratio and keep my calories between 1000 - 1400. That seems to work better for me. I've doe 30 minutes exercise on recumbent bike yesterday and today. From what I'm reading in The Fasting book by Dr. Fung and Jimmy Moore research has shown the same health benefits with a 16 to 18 hr fast as with JUDDD. So I see no reason to change what I was doing.

p.a. Are you doing ketogenic diet? I think it is good to go for a 5 lb goal in 3 weeks.

Carol Sue I think it is easier for me to work toward 1000 calories and I need to limit of 1400. Knowing I can have so many more calories just makes it too easy for me to eat foods that I should not be eating.

Back to my 8:16 plan today. I know what my goals are with it and I know this will give me the results I want.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #246  

Oh, I understand that JUDDD is not for everyone. Actually, I do not have a problem with UD because I don't think I reach the amount of calories they say. I eat the amount that satisfies my hunger and am not tempted to eat foods I should not be eating. No food is eliminated in my diet, just quantities. I guess it effects different people in different ways. Having the 500 calories days has helped me tremendously. I am so used to going all day without eating that even my UD are trending toward OMAD. And my BG has greatly improved, too. I am having some double digit reading, which I haven't seen since diagnosis. If you read back through the posts you will see that I have tried one eating plan after another and never found one that worked for me until now. We all have to do what works for us, and cannot simply do what someone else is doing.

My next doctor's appointment is June 1 with the cardiologist unless I go to the PCP in the meantime. I hope to be down a few more lbs before I go. He never mentions my weight. Neither of my doctors do, but maybe he will notice if I lose.

p.a. I just looked outside and saw that all our snow is gone, too. It was still out there yesterday, but it went up to 60 today. Sping has sprung!!

I think we are all on the way to making 2017 our year of results!!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-21-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 PM   #247  

Carol Sue I am pleased to see from reading the Fasting Guidelines that he mentions all the different types and ways to fast. He also says that what you are doing works for some and not for others. He also says that fasting the way I do works for some and not others. While he seems to think long fasts are the best, he also says whatever will work for each individual is the best one for them to do. It comes back to doing what each of us can live with.

I am pleased to see that breakfast IS NOT necessary and we are not going to harm our health if we do or don't eat although the book does share that the gherlin in our body which I understand has to do with our insulin surges is at its peak at 7am which means we that we really are not hungry. I've always said left to eating intuitively that I probably would not eat breakfast. He says it is counterproductive to eat when we are not hungry. He says the gherlin is lowest at 7:50pm. However he says the best time to eat the largest meal of the day should be eaten between noon and 3pm. DH and I are already doing that right. He said a light snack should be eaten in the evening at least 3 hours before bedtime.

He said that most people think the Mediterannean Diet is healthy because of what they eat however, he suspects it is when they eat more than what. He said they eat their biggest meal around 3 pm and then they have a light snack like meal at dinner time.

We are definitely on the right track to make 2017 a good year for good results. He does say that the least number of hours for a fast is 12 hrs. However, to lose weight we need to eat 16 to 18 hrs minimum. So I will do 16:8 IF ratio minimum and it can be a 2 meal or 3 option. I would love to start with this and hope that I will eventually progress to OMAD. For now, I will start where I am and let things progress however it goes.

I am very thankful for this book. It is helping me loads.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:15 AM   #248  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Tomorrow will be a down day for me, will eat lightly, as I went for an Indian dinner tonight, and delicious though it was, and even though I didn't eat until it hurt, (brought stuff home) I am sure I will be up tomorrow, and need a day of low carb for sure.
just winding down for bedtime. Have a good night all. Thanks for posting, I read, but don't always chime in
Old 03-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #249  

I learned a while back that I don't need to eat as soon as I get up. It was just a habit. I still eat my eggs some days, but it is not usually until around 11 AM if at all. I don't eat them on a DD, and not always on an UD. Depends on my hunger. But I still consider it breakfast. It's breakfast food, and I'm breaking my fast.

I know for me it's when I eat much more that what.

Although IF is what works for us, even that is not for everyone. My friend eats 3 meals plus snacks, and she is maintaining a 30 lbs loss. So he can give guidelines, but there is no hard and fast rule.

For years I ate daily at 7 and noon and maintained my weight at 125-130 for 10 years. It was when I married DH that I added a meal at 5 PM and gained all this weight. Now, to mesh my eating to DH's, I have switched to eating at 11 and 4, which gives me a similar fasting time, but just at a different time of day. I am still not eating close to bedtime, which I think is key.

Mad, things are very different for you, since your work shift can be at any time of day. It makes it so much harder to plan mealtimes, when you don't know when you will be awake or asleep. I can really understand why you want to find another job with a more stable schedule.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #250  

I am back to my own way of doing this using WW Core/Simply Filling plan although counting calories. I have found that trying to change things up has set me in a tailspin of overeating and just going wild with my eating. Weight is back up 3 lbs and FBS back in 140s. This is not acceptable for me. I will use the 8:16 IF ratio along with my plan. I am also going to watch the fat although not FF. That is my plan in a nutshell. I had such good blood work results and weight loss. The fact that I am able to go 6 months without another appointment is a miracle for me especially with all I've been through since my last drs appointment in December. I refuse to go backwards. This way of eating was working for me and I should not be trying to do something else.

I will continue logging calories on MFP and keep them between 1000 and 1200 but allow myself up to 1400 for special occasions etc. I will work to keep the carbs under control although not extremely low. This seems to work for me and as my 2 DH used to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". LOL

fatmad I like that... your DD will be light eating because you had gone out to eat Indian food. I noticed when DH DD lived with us that if we were going out to eat that she would compensate by either fasting or eating lightly before or after we went out to eat a heavy meal. I have noticed that this is the way thin people eat. They don't necessarily "plan" it that way; it is just the way they eat. It seems "normal" for them. I personally believe that is the way we were created to eat, but we were taught by our precious parents to eat the way we eat.

I used to babysit a little boy that only ate if he was hungry. His mother and I learned that if he ate good at my house at lunch that he wouldn't eat much for her at supper time. If he didn't eat much for me at lunch, he ate a lot for her at supper time. He ate only when he was hungry. When I think back to how I've seen children eat when I worked with them, they eat as much as they need and have no problem leaving the rest to be thrown out. Moms just naturally want their kids to eat because we are afraid they will get sick. We were taught that as were our parents. Even after I was grown and married, the first thing my mama wanted to do when I went to visit her was to make me something to eat. I would actually ask her "Mama, can't you look at me and see that I am not starving?" They were just loving us. LOL

Carol Sue We have talked about that before. The most I ever weighed was 120 when I was in college and started eating 3 meals a day with friends and then we would go out for shakes, malts or cold drinks in the evening. I was pretty active so I still didn't gain but a few lbs, but I was wiped out all the time that I couldn't think. I quit after my 1st semester because I couldn't keep up with everything and I knew I was close to flunking out any way. However, when I went to business college, I was back home and wasn't eating like that any more so the weight came back down for me.

It is strange but when I was single I could eat my way which was only 1 or 2 meals a day until I would marry. Then because of the types of foods we ate and the added meal/s, the weight came back on. The shame is that I didn't realize it was because I was eating more than I had been eating before I married.

In the Fasting guide book, it mentions how we progressed through the years of eating of being convinced it would healthier for us to 3 meals + 3 snacks a day instead of the 3. I remember writing a friend of mine after I married DH #2 who was an overweight dietician. I asked her to send me a good diet to follow. I remember my then SIL reading that diet when I got it. I had gotten fat eating 3 meals a day. She sent me a plan of eating 3 meals and 3 snacks of mostly starches. My SIL was thin and she said to me "I would be as big as the side of a barn if I ate that much food". I agreed with her that if I ate all that food that I definitely would not be losing but gaining weight. I through it away.

Well, I better get busy. I've got to get on my bike and ride it today. I have been riding it 30 minutes so far this week, but didn't ride yesterday. Not sure I will get 5 days in this week or not. However, I have been very active.

The doctor's office called yesterday and she call in Lipetor for me. So I will have to get that today. We will be going out to eat and going to DD so I can do his pills. I hope we will be going to Golden Corral as it is so easy for me to stay OP when I eat there.

Y'all have a great day.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #251  

Trish, I am glad you are going back to the way that works for you. It just makes sense.

I realize for me that my eating changed when I got married. It seems that when you have to take someone else's eating into consideration that happens. Yesterday DH wanted to go out for breakfast and I went, but I am no longer hungry in the morning, but I ate anyway to please him. It messed me up for the whole day so I am back on plan for today. I seem to do much better on my down days, and he is getting used to knowing which is which. He is starting to ask if I'm eating today. LOL I do eat every day, but it's OMAD on down days, and I have it worked out so I can still eat dinner with him, just not breakfast and lunch. That will work. I haven't lost anymore weight, but as long as I keep my eating in line my blood sugar is improved. I found a website that tells you what your A1c is based on your average blood glucose. I am going to check that periodically using the average number on my meter. It's still a little high because A1c reflects 3 months, but it's going down. I plan on going to the doctor in June and hopefully it will be improved by then.

Yesterday I wanted grilled salmon. It was so good. I would actually like to have it again today but I don't think DH will want it, so we'll see what he wants. I can cook two different things.

I need to go to the store for meat today as the sale starts today.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:30 AM   #252  
Madeleine

well, Trish and Carol Sue: you have converted me. this IF is working and working well for me. Another pound down, in spite of a few bumps along the way. For various reasons, it has been a difficult week for low carb. I have kept to low carb for most meals, but have had 2 largish meals not low carb. However, in combo with IF, I have still lost weight. WOW, thats a change.
And for a nice NSV on top of it, I have lost an inch on my waist. Not down a size (yet) but everything is a little looser and not so snug. Hope it starts to go from other places too. When I get down below 170, to 169, that will be 10% weight loss from where I was. No small thing.

I am also getting used to IF. I no longer fear being hungry for a bit. I don't seem to be suffering from low blood sugars, I presume because of low carb, I am not getting the swings. so that too is helping a lot.

One thing I have not been doing. Thats exercise. I do go for walks, but I am not doing all out power walks, or getting really aerobic with anything.
I don't know if I mentioned reading Penn Gillette's book about his big weight loss, but his diet science guru suggested that they try to mimic weight loss that comes about with hibernation, a natural period of weight loss. SO he did minimal exercise (to preserve muscle only) and used cold stress to help it. I didn't need to mimic cold stress, I get it all the time here in winter, but I have kept to minimal exercise. I think IF also fits in well with that. I also know that when I exercise, I tend to get really hungry, so I will have to fit that in carefully when spring comes and I want to get more active.

Hope things continue to improve for all of us.
hey p.a., how is weather for you? Snow day?
Old 03-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #253  

fatmad So glad IF is working with your plan. I am having to work mine very carefully today since I started eating earlier today. I have some 0 calories because I want to stay within my calories as much as the IF hours although women can go a little longer than 8 hrs sometimes so mine will be a little longer... probably 9 hrs eating period.

I started the Lipitor last night hoping I won't have muscle cramps. I looked up on line what kind of diet to follow to lower cholesterol and WW was one of the best ones. So I am definitely doing WW guidelines but using MFP to keep up with the calorie count rather than WWPP.

I hope that I will be able to do it this way because it is just too hard to figure points for foods that I make. It is difficult enough to get things exact counting calories. I think it would be even harder with points.

DD pulled one of his sodium overload again and had to call 911 because his bp went way up. We all rushed over and I called his home nurse and CHF clinic. We ended up giving him a Lasix and Xanax and got things moving. He wasn't as swollen as he could have been. In all fairness, one of the problems wasn't his fault. We had gone out of breakfast at McDonalds for a change instead of Whataburger. When DS looked up the amount of sodium in what he ate just for breakfast that day it had over 1000 mg sodium. Add what he ate for supper when he got home and a snack and he had eaten way too much. I think he would have been okay if we had eaten at Whataburger instead. He was tired today, but bp was good. EMT told him the antibiotic he is taking will cause him to feel tired all the time. He has 3 more days of it and hopefully things will improve. In the meantime, he continues to recover.

Y'all have a great week end.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:08 PM   #254  

I actually ended up with 1480 calories, but I ate it just within the 8 hr window so if I don't eat anything else I will be fine for today. This will cause me to have at least an 18 hr fast before I eat tomorrow at 11 am. So far so good. May decide to go for a 20 hr fast with a 5 hr eating window tomorrow. If I can do 18 hrs, maybe I can just go 2 more. It has a lot to do with how my body is feeling since I take Truliciy. Sometimes I get jittery although the lows are not all that low. I will check the reading and decide from there.

I remember Carol Sue reading about riding out a low. I know that meant if not on medicine to cause it, but I think of dangerously low as being low 90s or 80s. I am not sure there are any dangers of a low of 108 to 112 which I sometimes read when I get the jitters. I may try not doing anything about that and see what happens. I'm home so I could easily get something if I needed it with now problem. I would love to try to implement JUDDD with my way of eating alternating 5hr eating window for DD and 8 hr window for UD. I really don't see why it wouldn't work.

I actually did 30 minutes on the recumbent bike today. I didn't intend to, but got to reading on the kindle and the next thing I knew I had done 27 minutes, so I figured why not go for 30. LOL Dietician said that days when I exercise 30 minutes I could eat up to 1500 calories, but that I should do 1200 calories on days I do 20 minutes. I actually have done that this week without even thinking about it.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #255  
Madeleine

Happy to say weight keeps coming off. New record for me to follow a plan so well for so long. The JUDDD way of eating actually wouldn't call a cheat a cheat I guess, its an "up day". i may have one today, going to see my Dad.
Last weekend was the anniversary of my mother dying, but I was working, so he and I are going to the cemetery with flowers today, and to lunch together to talk about her.
He was a very loving husband in very difficult times when her dementia made her really hard to be around. I didn't begrudge the time it took for me to do the care taking for her in her final months, but it was so hard to do it when she lived in constant anger and meanness. That wasn't my mama. So glad she passed away and out of that, and I hope her spirit is at peace now.

I am hoping Dad will be agreeable to going to the old Blue Star restaurant, they have lots of LC choices for me. In which case I can stick to plan quite well.
I AM getting used to eating less. I never thought that could happen. I do get full sooner, and am getting used to not having that "stuffed" feeling to feel satiated.
This too is new for me. I hope with doing some JUDDD I can avoid slowing down my metabolism with dieting and keep all this off, because its feeling good to be down in the 170's again.

Trish: re low blood sugar, until you get below 4.0 (thats 68 to you) you are too low. You may be "relatively" low to your usual baseline, or you have dropped a little suddenly and feel jittery, but you are not dangerously low.
Closed Thread