Old 08-10-2005, 10:54 AM   #91  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

OK, I caught a break for a few minutes, so I thought I'd come back and post my comments, since I remembered that I've got a luncheon today and won't be around at lunch.

Kari, the concert I'm going to is a local band called The Argument. I go to their concerts all the time, they're completely awesome. Sort of jazz-pop-rock-ish. And they're all super cute and super nice and super funny (my boyfriend is really good friends with the lead singer and the drummer, so I've kinda got the inside track). I even designed a t-shirt for them a few years ago, actually before I even met my current boyfriend (their old manager lived with my best friend for a while, and the band hung out there a lot--so I guess I'm fairly well connected to them). You can check them out at www.theargument.net if you're so inclined. OK, enough blather about the hottie musicians.
I think 10 pounds is a reasonable goal for our 11-week timeframe. That's my approximate goal as well. And part of the reason I'm getting healthy is to prepare my body for pregnancy. I'm not planning to get pregnant for another couple years, but there have been some reproductive problems in my family, so I figure I should get as healthy as possible for as long as possible before we even think about having a baby. And, like you, I want to be able to keep up with them, and I don't want them to be overweight and miss out on their lives like I did.

AuntyEM, just so you know, I never seem to get the formatting to work right on these posts either, and I'm a big computer nerd, and I've been coming here many times a day for over a year and a half! As for getting the emails, sometimes that doesn't work right. I think it's something like you only get an email for the first post, so if there are more you might not get notified. It's weird. If you click on UserCP at the top, it gives you a list of threads that have been replied to. However, that function has a bug too, and if you reply to one of those threads, the others disappear.

Joy, you're right, I have been a little down lately, but not because of anything having to do with my weight (for once). Steve and I have been a little tense lately, and the house situation is causing lots of additional frustration, and more often than not I wonder what the heck I'm doing with my career. But Steve and I are fine, the house will work out eventually, and one of these days I might figure out what I want to do when I grow up. That song is John Mellancamp, and a bubble bath and sleeping in sound really nice. I might have to do that.

Betani, you and I posted at the same time last night! It's good that you had fun on vacation--that's what they're for! Just pick up right where you left off and go at it again. That's right, back with the program.

MsRD, of course we're getting everything inspected and taken care of. I'm just tired of waiting for everything. I'm ready to move already!

OK, enough playing around, time to get back to work.
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #92  

Hello All!

First things first....my weekly focus quick answer has got to be 'JOURNAL EVERY DAY'. It is the one thing that will keep me accountable!

Elisha.......Sometimes it is hard to have an elderly person around, no matter how much you love them. I had MIL living with us for 2 years....and she sounds a lot like your Grandma! However, I did find that she loved to reminisce about the old days.....and the stories she told were so interesting; it really passed the time pleasantly.

Betani.....Glad you had a good vacation. Sometimes a little mental health break is all you need to get re-focused. I live in West Michigan......and plan to go shopping in Saugatuck tomorrow!

Joy.....Yes, my gardens really are lovely.....and someday I will have enough time to take care of them properly It seems that I am constantly playing catch-up with all the work there is to do out there......but I don't really think of it as a chore.....more like therapy!

AuntyEm......No eating after 7pm is such a good idea! Evening is the time I am more prone to do illicit snacking.......and never have been able to break that habit!

Flirtigirl......No pop in the house? I have really cut back on diet coke (and all caffeine, for that matter), but haven't been able to eliminate it entirely. When I am working, it seems easier, and I gurgle down quarts of water; but on the weekends, and vacation, the diet coke creeps back in. Just one of the many life changes I have to conquer yet!

Yesterday was pretty good (if you don't count the diet coke weakness).....even with the pizza for dinner, calories were a bit over 1500......and I did 2 miles with Leslie too. Today, breakfast was cereal & milk.....then DH bought me a king size candy bar...oops! Did you know a king size candy bar is considered 3 SERVINGS!?! I should probably read the labeling BEFORE I wolf something down! We have a meeting tonight, so that means dinner out......am planning on ordering a salad & some water.

Last edited by MsRD; 08-10-2005 at 12:06 PM.
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

I've not been doing well on the exercise or eating the past few days. Yesterday was great until after dinner. And today, was bad from the start, I think maybe I'm feeling stressed... I'm starving all the time and can't say NO. I think I'll take off the sad faces in my signature and focus on the positive.

MsRD - I think I'd better keep you company with Leslie in the mornings. See ya at 4am Maybe I should make sure I start my day with journal entries instead of trying to catch up with it all day.... I know getting stuff written down sometimes gets shifted on the priority list for me. People are so into salads right now, and with the summer crops ready a salad sounds wonderful to me (especially one someone else makes) love that water too ENJOY. here's to having enjoying your evening out.

WAY TO GO with that power walking and keeping active, Betani, that's the reason for the : impressive change at the scale. That's why it's so good to know that it's not just food that affects our weight, its exercise and all the other good habits we develop along the way.

Flirtgirl - 10 pounds is a great goal for the challenge. So is being fit for your next pregnancy - makes things much easier for both parties. Do you take vitamins - folic acid? Increasing your fibre is certainly a good start to making dietary changes - good for you.

Aunty EM - I definately need to add this one to my list. Except for the days when I don't get around to eating until 8 or 9... then it will be nothing after dinner

Elisha - Hope you and Steve talked things out and he realizes how stressed all of this is making you feel. Sometimes a little understanding and open communication are enough to smooth anxiety. You know what... so does exercise... YOU GO GIRL!

Well, we've got to make up for a slow start so here's three subjects to think about and comment on

3) Stop the carb confusion: Eat smart carbs by getting in 4-5 servings each day of fruits and vegetables. Eat 2-3 servings of whole grains like oats. (Oatmeal is great, for example). Eliminate or minimize the junk carbs: white table sugar, white rice, pasta, bread and potatoes.

4) Protein is what fills you up. Women especially need to keep protein in mind for every snack and meal. It's the nutrient that leaves you satisfied. Lean poultry, red meat, fish and skim dairy are great ways to get it in all day long.

5) Fat is where it's at. But it's got to be the right fat. Olive and canola oils are the best choices. Fat from nuts (one palm full or about 12 nuts) is a great snack. Eliminate or minimize saturated fats found in animal meats (always ask for lean cuts), dairy (use skim), and some oils like palm and coconut, which are used on theater popcorn.

3) I have found that I actally prefer whole wheat pasta, brown and wild rices and sprouted wheat (no flour) breads now. They keep you fuller longer and add that all important fibre that we need. I still like potatoes and enjoy them with NF sour cream and Salsa - but try to watch the portions.... Carbs are a real trigger for me... once I start there's no stopping me - especially if I'm home alone or DH has gone to bed.

4) I must admit that I do not get enough protein in each day. It's tough for breakfast in a hurry - we usually have cereal or porridge oats. Sometimes we have yoghurt on our cereal I guess that counts as a protein. Almonds are an excellent source of protien (& healthy fat) but I find it tough to eat only five.

5. We buy 1% milk and NF everything else. I don't buy cheddar cheese because it is another trigger food. I very rarely use anything except extra virgin olive oil or butter and I use them sparingly but really enjoy when I use (ie corn on the cob, salad dressings etc)

Well I better get going and see about dinner.... Hmm starving today.

Hugs everyone.
JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:57 PM   #94  
good rolemodel in trainin

Well I thought I'd check in tonight because I'm going out of town to visit a friend for the next couple of days. It isn't hard to put my daughter in her stroller and go for a walk but I am concerned with what I'm going to eat for the time I'm gone. I guess it will depend on if my friend is on her health kick or not.

Today I did really well. I went out for supper and had a turkey burger that was seasoned with Indian spices and a mint/yoghurt sauce. It was really good but I was so full I couldn't finish it. Even as a member of the "clean your plate" club, I pushed it away

Hey JoyG56, here's a solution for your hurried breakfasts. I just tried it today and it was so delicious. I had my 1/2 cup of Fibre 1 cereal as per my goal but I also made a smoothie. Get yourself some Whey Protein Powder. In a blender, mix 1 cup of milk, 1 frozen banana, and a scoop of protein powder, I use the vanilla flavour. Once mixed, put in a serving of vanilla yoghurt. I buy the Source individual cup sizes and the flavour I used this morning was citrus/vanilla flavoured. It was really good and depending on the type of protein powder you buy, you can add 16-25 grams of protein. Not to mention you get in a dairy and fruit serving as well.

Everyone sounds like they are doing pretty good. Keep up the great work everyone. Talk to ya soon,

Kar
flirtigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:38 AM   #95  
Bound and Determined

Morning ladies!

Yesterday went ok. Calories were high--like 2196, but it was healthy food at dinner, and I didn't have a choice at lunch (but I didn't overeat at lunch). Water was good, and I forced myself to get on the elliptical and pumped out 30 minutes straight. First time I've actually done 30 minutes on that thing without taking a break! I didn't think I was going to get in exercise last night--the whole family was there, since Grandma is visiting, but everyone sat down to watch the special on Peter Jennings, so I decided to exercise, and I'm glad I did.

This morning I didn't really have a problem getting out of bed like I usually do, but I'm tired now, 3 hours later, and feel like I could fall right back to sleep if given the opportunity. I'm glad it's almost the weekend. I plan to take Joy's suggestion and sleep in, and hopefully I'll even get in that bubble bath.

I did some grocery shopping last night, and I'm doing some more tonight. We were rushed last night because the store was closing, and all of their produce looked bad so I didn't get any. I had to run in the store this morning and I went to a different store than I usually go to and I noticed they're having a really good sale, so I'll probably stop there tonight. Then again, they don't usually have the best produce, and I need to go to WalMart and don't want to leave groceries in the car while I do that... bah. We'll see. There's always tomorrow.

I don't know if I'm going to exercise tonight or not. We're still considering going to that concert, but I don't think we're decided yet. It's supposed to rain, and it's an outdoor concert, but they're supposed to be playing some new stuff tonight (we've already heard it anyway, because they gave us a demo), so I don't know. I guess if Steve wants to go then I will go with him. If we go, I probably won't have time to exercise. But that's ok, because I'm tired.

I need to work out an exercise schedule for the rest of the month. I might do that if I get a break today at work. Not counting on it, the way it's been the past few days, but you never know. My best friend has been wanting to go to lunch all week, and I haven't had the chance. Not only that, but I don't want to spend the money or the calories. I mean, I love to hang out with her, but sometimes I'd rather be by myself for a while, you know? Especially this week, since I have been so busy, it feels good to just have some time to relax at lunch. I haven't even had that opportunity all week. That is definitely contributing to the stress factor. I haven't had a moment to spare, and that is not good for my psyche.

So I don't know. I'm tired. I want to go home early. I have too much to do. Prioritize, Elisha. Plan a strategy, then get it done.

OK, here I go. Have a good one, chicks.
~Elisha
Old 08-11-2005, 09:07 AM   #96  

Hey, sorry I've been MIA. I'm having a REALLY bad week. Not with food or exercise, just life in general.. It just seems to be one thing after another. Tuesday Jesse wrecked his jeep, thank god no one was hurt, but vehicles were pretty messed up, my brother lost his job and I found out my brother has another baby, it's a long story but I'll just leave it at that...

THEN yesterday I found out Jesse's Best Friend (and the best man in our wedding) shot and killed a 19 year old girl. It's really hard to understand. We don't kno what happened, why he did it, we don't know anything. We know it wasn't intentional to hit her, but he still did it. It's just crazy, I loved scott, he was one of Jesse's only friends that I really liked. He was always so happy and talking and nice to everyone. We don't know if mayb drugs were involved or what. I just don't see him doing that and what would be going on in his mind to make him do that. I've never even heard of the girl that was shot, so we don't even kno if he knew her. All I know is it's possible to never see him again... Jesse's taking it so hard, I've never seen him act like this before, scott was at the house about 5 hours before this happened and wanted Jesse to go driving around with him.. and of course the only thing on Jesse's mind is "mayb if I would have went with him, Scott wouldn't be in jail and a 19 year old girl wouldn't be dead" I just wish I could get it off my mind and Jesse wouldn't be so upset.

I'm sorry for rambling on like this, I just need to get it off my mind. I'll write later or tomorrow. Later Chickies and thanks for listening and being there!
StarAngel2528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:57 AM   #97  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Well, dinner yesterday could have been better. We went to the Chinese Buffet. I had 2 plates, though I fished around to get the most veggies. Lots of green beans, a small spoon of pineapple chicken, 2 helpings of hot pepper chicken (this is where I fished around to get as much of the zucchini and peppers as I could, without excessive chicken), and 2 crab rangoons. The rest of the day was pretty low calories, so I think I evened out pretty much.

I didn't get out this morning for my walk. My husband woke up from a nightmare at the time I usually go out (his job has been very stressful lately). I wanted to make sure he got back to sleep ok, and by the time he did, I'd missed my window of opportunity. So, I did a little housework instead. If the rain holds off, I'll get in a walk in at lunch, and hopefully I can get in another after work, or at least do a video.

3. I think I am doing better about carbs. I've switched to 100% whole wheat bread, we get whole wheat pasta when we eat it, I'm getting better about eating more fruits and veggies, I eat oatmeal more often, but when it comes to rice, I don't often have the choice to get brown instead of white. This bothers me because I LOVE rice, even though it's a bad choice.

4. I'm having trouble getting protein at EVERY meal and snack. It's just not that easy or cost effective. I've started eating fat free cottage cheese a little more, I make Egg Scramblers some mornings, I bought some turkey bacon, but it has surprisingly little protein. Lean meat is just so expensive around here.

5. I think I'm doing ok with fats. I keep canola and olive oil in my cabinet, I read lables and don't buy anything with trans fat. If the ingredient list has partially hydrogenated oil in the first three ingredients, I don't buy it. I snack on almonds throughout the day, too, as it's one of the best things for me to eat when my blood sugar is low. And, I only drink skim milk.

Well, time to get back to work...
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:44 PM   #98  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Hello!

Wow, this group is busy. So many busy lives and interesting questions!

MsRD -- My plan is quasi-weight-watchers. Instead of points, I count calories. I try to keep my calories under 1550, and eat 5 servings of fruits and veggies per day. I am also slowly adding exercise. I use WW for the meetings and weigh-in accountability. Also, I am vegetarian, which can be a challenge for weight loss since it is so tempting to eat a lot of dairy.

Elisha -- Yes, let us conquer the plateau. Even if you've been plateauing for a year, think what a good accomplishment it is to have maintained the weight you did lose. So many people yo-yo, and you didn't.

Flirtigirl and Joy -- Thanks for the welcome.

Jessica -- I am so sorry to hear about your best man. It wasn't at all Jesse's fault. Take care.

OK, on to all those thought-provoking questions...

Quote:
1) Remember your commitment. Refer daily to the contract you signed to do the best you can during this 12-week program. It will help keep you motivated as you face your daily stresses.
1) The birthday deadline is what is keeping me motivated. Also, I am breaking down my goals into 2-4 lb. increments. When I think about cheating, I just remember that 2 lbs. is not that far away, and if I stay in control, I'll make my mini-goal.

Quote:
2) Take small steps. Don't feel overwhelmed by all of the lifestyle changes you want to make. Choose one thing each week to work on and stick with it. Commit to walking more each day, or eating more vegetables. Many small steps make for a successful life journey.
2) Yes, over the past two years, I have been losing weight slowly, but consistently. I've been successful because I've developed habits rather than crash-dieting. Nowadays I drink less soda, exercise more, and am cutting down on how often I dine out.

Quote:
3) Stop the carb confusion: Eat smart carbs by getting in 4-5 servings each day of fruits and vegetables. Eat 2-3 servings of whole grains like oats. (Oatmeal is great, for example). Eliminate or minimize the junk carbs: white table sugar, white rice, pasta, bread and potatoes.
3) I'm not too keen on cutting carbs. As a vegetarian, I get a lot of my protein from grains. I try to eat better carbs, but I will always eat some "junk" carbs as part of my diet. I have been trying to consume more fruits and vegetables.

Quote:
4) Protein is what fills you up. Women especially need to keep protein in mind for every snack and meal. It's the nutrient that leaves you satisfied. Lean poultry, red meat, fish and skim dairy are great ways to get it in all day long.
4) Vegetarian sources: nuts, leafy greens, whole grains, soy, beans. One of the long-term habits I hope to gain is to eat less dairy and get more of my protein from the foods I just mentioned.

Quote:
5) Fat is where it's at. But it's got to be the right fat. Olive and canola oils are the best choices. Fat from nuts (one palm full or about 12 nuts) is a great snack. Eliminate or minimize saturated fats found in animal meats (always ask for lean cuts), dairy (use skim), and some oils like palm and coconut, which are used on theater popcorn.
5) Again, as a vegetarian, this one isn't much of a concern. But I will try to cut down on the overall amount of fat in my cooking, since less fat = fewer calories.

Quote:
Each of use needs to say what our weekly focus will be for one week.
I've successfully built up the habit of 4 fruits/veggies per day. Now I'll aim for five. Starting a week from yesterday, since I just happened to be successful then...

Wow, that was A LOT of questions/comments! This post is getting long... sorry.

Yesterday was great. I stayed within my calorie limit and went for a short walk. I ate two fruit servings and three vegetables. Today is going well. Tomorrow is weigh-in day. Wish me luck.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:40 AM   #99  

Hello!

Yesterday was a little high in the calorie department.....over 1900.....but that had a lot to do with zucchini/pineapple bread I made and indulged in! However, I did get some shopping/walking in and then joined Leslie for 2 miles last night (and I can't tell you how much I did not want to do that!)

Joy.....Nothing like a little stress to throw your plan off! I just read somewhere that you should find something that represents inner strength to you......and then when the stress gets to you and the cooky jar is calling you name, call on that 'inner strength symbol' to get you through.

Flirtigirl.......Have a wonderful time on your mini-trip! It is always hard to stay on plan when someone else is doing the cooking.....but just being aware of your plan and your goals is sometimes a help.

Elisha.....good going on the 30-minutes of exercise! I always find the hardest exercise is just getting up out of the chair!

Jessica......I am so sorry to hear of your recent troubles. Jesse must be devastated....none of this is his fault, of course, but one's automatic reaction is 'What if....."

Betani......Great job on good eating at the Chinese buffet! Buffets are soooo tempting! Can I ask what your signature line means? Is it Latin?

TBJ......You are getting really good at the fruits/veggies thing! It sounds so easy, but I haven't been able to conquer it yet! I looked at yesterdays menu and I had 3 servings......4, if you let me count the dill pickle spear!

It is finally cooler today, but rainy and humid......a perfect day to go to the mall! We have to go to a wedding next weekend, and I really should get something to wear for that.....nothing like trying on clothes to strengthen my resolve to lose weight!
MsRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:55 AM   #100  
Oddball

MsRD, it is Latin, and it translates to "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Yes, I'm weird.

It rained almost all day yesterday, making it impossible to walk outdoors (I'm not complaining, we need it desparately!) I was about to declare yesterday my rest day, when, lo and behold, at about 6:30pm, the skies cleared! So, I got in an entire hour of power walking after my dinner settled and the Advil kicked in. (Inexplicable headache. I get them sometimes.)

I think I did pretty good with dinner last night. I made chicken salsa stir-fry and teriyaki noodles. Each tasted good separately, but it was kinda weird together. I've really got to transfer my food and exercise logs into Fitday. The problem is that it is loaded on the computer my husband likes to use the most! I should probably reinstall it on the slower computer since it doesn't need the muscle of the newer one.

This morning I got back on my walking schedule, and, barring rain, I will get my second walk in at lunch. I'm hoping to work out on my stability ball tonight. I've been neglecting it too much, and have forgotten how important strength training is.

I found a good way to enforce my food curfew. The dollar store has teeth whitening kits like those Crest Whitestrips, and if I use them at around 9 or 9:30pm, viola! I can't eat. Then, I just brush my teeth and go to bed.

Well, Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work I go...
Old 08-12-2005, 09:05 AM   #101  
Bound and Determined

Morning chicks!

TGIF!!!!

Yesterday was a decent day. Calories actually came in around 1640 or so (I don't remember exactly, but I know it was close to that), water was good. Actually, I just remembered that there were some chips and guacamole that I forgot to add to that calorie total, so it will be a bit higher, but not outrageous. There was some exercise, but I'm not counting it. We went to a concert last night and parked about 15 minutes down the trail so we would have to do some walking (it was right on our walking trail, the RailTrail, so it was easily accessible). So it added up to a total of about 30 minutes, not quite 2 miles, but we weren't walking that quickly and it was in two separate bursts. It was so hot and sticky that we were sweating just sitting in the ampitheater, let alone walking. But it was a good show.

So that means there will be exercise today and tomorrow so that I'm sure to get in enough exercise this week. The scale is down a little this morning, to 211.8. That's the right direction, at least, so I'm happy.

I also started taking a fiber supplement yesterday. Looking through my DietPower records, it seems that I never get enough fiber (or potassium, but I forgot about that when I was looking at supplements), and fiber is supposed to help with weight loss and blah blah blah all of that. So anyway, there's that.

As for yesterday's topics...

3. Carbs. I don't get enough carbs, good or bad. I know, that sounds wacky, but it's the truth. Hence the fiber supplement. I don't like oatmeal, and it only satiates me for about an hour, so that's no good for breakfast. When I eat bread, it's usually the low-cal kind, so not much whole grain-ness there. Bread seems like "extra" to me, so I hate to waste 100 calories eating a slice of whole grain bread when I could just use 35 and get the same taste benefit. I don't add sugar to anything, I don't remember the last time I had rice, and potatoes are only occasional (and usually in the form of chips or fries, which I shouldn't be eating anyway). I am getting better about fruits and veggies though, so that's one plus I've got.

4. Protein. I'm usually good with protein, because I'm definitely a meat-eater. And typically I do choose lean meats, eggs, and low-fat cheeses. Of course, there's always the random crispy chicken sandwich or something I shouldn't be eating anyway, but for the most part protein isn't a problem with me. Protein does keep me satiated longer, so I always have protein for breakfast, and I try to find some for lunch as well. Then at dinner, my family is very meat-centered, so it's not a problem there either.

3. Fat. Well, that's where the problem is. Not in that I don't get enough of it, more in that I get way too much. I know this. I try to use the good kind, avocados, I always use olive or canola oil, but there's always fat somewhere. I've cut it out as much as I can--I buy fat-free cheese, yogurt, mayo, lean meat, etc. But I know I need to cut out more and work on that.

OK, comments!

TBJ, I have gone back up a good bit in the past year. I had lost about 40 pounds, and I'm back up about 15. But I'm working on it. I made it down to 197 last summer, and my goal is to get back there by the end of this challenge (even 199 would be fabulous). What's done is done, so now I've just got to deal with it, and not let it happen again.

Betani, I love Chinese! And I can never control myself at a Chinese buffet! It's just too darn good! That's a good idea though, to eat the veggies first. But you're right, we have to be able to balance the rest of the day to make room in our diets for foods that we enjoy like that.

Jessica, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I heard about that on the radio. It seems to me there has been a lot of wacky stuff like that going on in this region lately--that guy at Goshen Rd., the girl in Waynesburg who wouldn't wash the dishes, the stand-off in Fellowsville... what has gotten into this place? It's scary. Anyway, I am sorry about how things are with that. It wasn't Jesse's fault, but I know it's hard to believe it when you're in a situation like that. There's always the "what if's" in your head. But things happen the way they are supposed to, whether we know the reason or not.

Joy, come on, chickie, don't stop now! Pick up right where you left off. Take the same advice you gave me--get to bed early and sleep in late, take a bubble bath, relax and have some time for yourself. Then you'll be ready to get back on track.

MsRD, where are you? Having fun and getting lots of exercise in your garden? I hope you're chugging the water!

OK, I need to do some work. Have a good one, chicks!
~Elisha
Old 08-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #102  
Bound and Determined

Betani and MsRD, you both posted while I was typing, but I don't have anymore time, so I'll send you some updated comments later today!

Old 08-12-2005, 09:57 AM   #103  

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't posted - things have been pretty busy. But I wanted to let you all know how much this is helping me out - I have been reading all of your comments and sure am impressed!

No one has mentioned Peanut Butter as a protein alternative. My hubby is a diabetic and Light Peanut Butter is a staple in his diet, (this information from a Nutritionist).

Also, regarding fat - it is important to have enough. For one thing - it makes everything taste better, therefore you are satisfied instead of grazing and searching for that satisfaction - it makes it easier to stay on track! I was told this at a Weight Watchers meeting.

Dear, sweet Joy - get back on track - YOU CAN DO IT!!!

So sorry to hear about Jessie.

This is an extremely busy weekend for me. I have a surprize birthday party to go to for a co-worker, (Mexican theme - should be fun). Tomorrow is the White Wedding. Sunday is a family function, (picnic at the lake). I'm sure there will be TONS of food. I will write down everything I eat, (just like I said I would). Hopefully that will make me more accountable.

Have a great day everyone!

Anyway, gotta go get ready for work.
Aunty EM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #104  

S/C/G: 257/252/150

Talking

Hey Everyone ... guess what ... DH couldn't live without me He called me at work on Thursday and said "couldn't you just pick everyone up and bring them to our place" when he initially had said he didn't want the dogs in the house the previous week. But that's good and everything has worked out well (except maybe for the one 'accident" puppy Daisy had on the ottoman - good thing there was a throw on it - and it's washable). So today I am home in the morning weeding the veggie garden and flower bed in the morning and off to the lake with the grand kids in the afternoon. Food should be good - I'll pick up some pop (diet for me) for our picnic at the lake and have my regular sandwich for lunch.... should be okay - maybe I'll pop some popcorn before we go for snacking.... I guess I better take some water too! I'm sure I'll get lots of exercise puddling around and swimming with the boys.

Eva - WOW you do have a challenging weekend ahead. Just think how empowered you will feel when you stay under control. Coincidentally, I have a family picnic at the lake to go to on Sunday as well. I'm sure there will be TONS of food. We'll just have to select the things we really love ... and forgo those things that we can eat anytime. And... I will be journalling my food online this FRIDAY, SATURDAY & SUNDAY.I CAN DO IT if YOU CAN DO IT - CHALLENGE IS ON

Elisha - that's a very good strategy and habit to get into
Quote:
There was some exercise, but I'm not counting it. We went to a concert last night and parked about 15 minutes down the trail so we would have to do some walking (
Why aren't you counting it? It's calories vs calories out. If we all parked a little further away in everything we did - think of the additional steps we would be adding to our days. I read somewhere that if you walked an additional distance per day (I forget how far - minor amount) it could add up to 5-10 pound lost in a year.

Betani - I'm so proud of you - taking the opportunity of clearing skies to get your power walk in - there must be a metaphor in there somewhere Sometimes the "light cooking" takes some experiementing. Here's a recipe for a quick salad you can have hot or cold. It's a favorite at my place.
Quote:
We call it Chow Mein Salad.
1 bag coleslaw (stir fried or raw)
1/2 bag chinese chow mein noodles (cooked or straight from the bag)
bunch green onions (chopped)
grated (large slivers) fresh ginger about a 2"x2" piece (after peeling)
bunch cilantro (chopped)
about a cup of cashew nuts
does not need dressing but is good with hot sauce (YUM)
or serve topped with stir fried chicken with teriyaki sauce
MsRd - I have recently picked up a book from the library on taoist meditation and I'm hoping to be able to draw some inner strength from that . As far as a symbol I'm thinking of either a bracket or a new tatoo. I have a lei around my right ankle. I was thinking a hummingbird as it is a symbol of joy or the Hawaiian symbol for joy that I saw when I was there or perhaps the chinese symbol for joy. But both of those are expensive so - maybe I'll have to imagine a symbol during my meditation.

TBJ333 - I know you'll have a great weigh-in because you had a successful week. But remember there are other non-scale victories out there - measurement, clothes fitting differently, comments from friends and loved ones. Here's to have a successful next week.

StarAngel - I'm so sorry for Jesse. I am a firm beliver that what happens - happens for a reason. Make sure give Jesse extra lovin' and comfort. He's in my prayers. Please remember that you are affected by this as well and make sure to take care of yourself too.

6) Practice mental flexibility so you'll be prepared when life threatens to derail you from your self-care plans. If you pull a ligament and are sidelined from your cardio, for example, use it as an opportunity to concentrate on your weight lifting.

Wow, I think I was just talking about this kind of thing, Eva. Planning and practicing how you will react when challenging situations will present themselves is a positive way to meet challenges head on. I just need to have my "symbol" in place, like MsRD says, so I remember to follow my plan and not go on automatic EAT mode.

[b]7) Always put on your clothes-o-meter before you step on a scale. Guys grab that belt, and women grab your tight jeans and put them on once a week before your weekly weigh in. The more you exercise and eat well, the faster you'll see changes in your overall size. (The scale sometimes lags behind as your body composition changes.)[B]

Hmm, you'd think I was reading ahead, TBJ, but honestly I wasn't.

I think I've been dieting so long I know think I've learned the literature off by heart. But my challenge is to follow through and act on those things I DO KNOW. Building habits to "add exercise and eat well", I'm hoping, is the answer to success for me. Although I'm having a slow start at this challenge I'm feeling more focussed than I have in a long time and although sometimes I'm not making the right choices I'm not beating myself up about it too bad because I know that this is the rest of my life and "stuff" happens.

Sorry about the novel
Hugs {{everyone }}

Last edited by JoyG56; 08-12-2005 at 01:23 PM.
JoyG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:29 PM   #105  
Oddball

Joy, it sounds like you have QUITE the busy day today! Thanks for the recipe, it sounds terriffic. My husband doesn't like ginger, but I could just leave that out. I'll have to try it out when I can get to the grocery store.

6. As far as flexibility goes, I do have DVDs for when the weather is bad, but not much by way of upper body substitutions if I were unable to walk. I'm not good at exercising unguided (except for outdoor walking), so I'll have to look for a DVD that focuses on arms, perhaps. I have a stability ball and 2lb handweights that I use with the "For Dummies" DVD, but I've been neglecting it recently. I've pretty much outgrown the 2 pounders, too, so I should look into buying 3lb weights soon.

7. A while ago, I bought a cute pink polo dress in size 10 on clearance for $5 (Not my size, but impossible to pass up a $5 dress!). I only just started fitting into 12s, but I WILL look good in that thing! I'll try it on again Sunday morning before I weigh in.