The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #106  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhichick View Post
OMG, I would have LOVED to have seen the look on the red chick's face if Sam and Koji (they're cousins, BTW) had switched the red team instead of the white.
Red chick wouda been outta there, that's for sure... I too would have loved to have seen her face in hat situation ...

Tomato, I usually watch the last hour only... I just really care to see who is voted off and the transformation of the person sent home, I never miss that part...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato
Also, I wish when they select contestants for each season that they would be more matched in size (or rather, weight). For example, there is a huge difference between Maria and Michael. I don't think I saw the member of the brown team that was voted off so I don't know if he/she weighed closer to the other brown team member or not.
It's because they go by percentage of weight loss, I think ... But still a person who has a lot of weight to lose, usually, loses faster than a person who doesn't have a lot of weight to lose...
Old 01-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #107  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
[COLOR="Red"][B]
It's because they go by percentage of weight loss, I think ... But still a person who has a lot of weight to lose, usually, loses faster than a person who doesn't have a lot of weight to lose...
I know, but that's exactly why I believe the contestants should be within some weight range so that "apples" are competing against "apples"; and not "apples" against "oranges".

oh yeah, I forgot about the red team weigh in - that was a nice shouting scene between her and Bob/Jillian.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Hi ladies,

So Red team chick got on my NERVES these last two weeks. It would have been PRICELESS to see her face if Sam and Koli had switched them out! She's getting on my nerves like Tracy, but it does make the show interesting! The shouting matche between her and Jillian and Bob was great! I haven't seen Bob nearly that pissed off at any one contestant since Joelle!

The Green teams Migdalia, I am in favor of Bob and Jillian's therapy simply because these are issues, especially for Migdalia, that need to be brought to the surface and delt with. Jillian and Bob don't know how much time they are going to have with her, so yes it maybe a bit early to force it up, but second to a therapist they are the best shot Migdalia has at learning to not freeze out her emotions and make those lifestyle changes that will help her. Migdalia got to be 300+lbs because she used food to number the pain and freeze other emotions. She mentioned that her daughter does not cry because there is no reason to. My Dad used to say the same thing to me when I was little girl "What are you crying for" "THere is no reason to cry" "Stop being so sensitive" and I ended up doing the same thing. I completely agree with Jillian when she said that emotions are a compass, tears are a sign of strength. THere is nothing wrong with showing emotions. It wasn't until I delt with those emotions and learned to let them out that I became successful in my weightloss(keeping it off and lossing this last bit).

For what reason I don't yet know, but I'm pulling for the Gray team. There is something about Sam and Koli that I really like. Maybe it's their attitude and approach to this opprotunity? But I like getting to know them each week a little.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 264.2/264.2/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm leaning towards the gray team also. I really respect that they didnt slack off just because they had immunity. I am going to guess that the 1st time red goes on the chopping block the woman is going home.. at least i REALLY REALLY hope so, LOL.. I HATE her. There's just something about her that every time she opens her big mouth i just want to smack the s**t out of her, lol.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:39 PM   #110  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Jldsgirl,
I love your avatar! Please plant a kiss on that tummy for me! :-)

I like the gray team too, and I have to say I was surprised, and quite impressed, to hear them say they will work as hard as if they did not have an immunity, etc. - especially in view of the practices of many previous contestants who overhydrated before the weigh in (so as to have a bigger "loss" the next week).
Old 01-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #111  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I honestly dont have a problem with the hydrating back some weight (the lying is crap) but red teams strategy seems to be coast until we have to work hard again. THAT will bite them in the butt.

I do like grey team although the Tongan whoop is still ringing in my ears from Sione and Filipe so I hate to hear it.

I was waiting for someone to point out to whiny *** Michael that grey team did them a favor by swapping them. Maria's weight loss would have put them below the yellow line as well.

Hopefully he realizes he cant just phone it in. I think the first 2 weeks he had huge water weight loss and just diet alone was doing it for his size. But not anymore.

I was very impressed with Maria taking on the swimming when she got home. I think that kind of attitude change will do as much for her life as the weight loss.

I still like green team, especially the mom. I hope they figure it out.

Last edited by ennay; 01-20-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #112  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Height: 5'2"

I think the Gray team showed their true colors last night. They are there for the real reason, not to play the game. The red team is there for the money. No doubt about it. They've even talked about needing money because he can't work, so - duh!- they are totally in it for the cash. I hope they boot her off ASAP!!! I was so happy when Sam & Koli won ammnity, I cheered in my living room, lol.

I thought it was hilarious when Jllian ran to Bob at the pool and told him to "go fix it" with the green team. It's like they play good cop/ bad cop.

As for the white team, I think Michael has a lot of work ahead of him, and I won't be surprised if he gets booted off soon with teh attitude he has now. And they can't blame the Gray team, because her loss would have put them under the line anyway.

But man, i wish they had picked the frickin Red team!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #113  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Just when I think I dont like the show anymore we get an episode like last night...not sure why but I really enjoyed it even though it was all drama.....I loved what Jillian said to green team! I think she was right on the mark. I also thought it was really funny when she told bob to go do his thing...go finish it.

So did NBC screw up and show us the Red lady's weight?? cuz the clip showed her starting 214 lbs and 186 I think it was...that would mean a 28 lb loss! which would prove she's playing the game. I wouldnt think NBC could make that big of a screw up though. That would have been so awesome if Gray had switched redteam! She's this season's icky vicky. Her little comment about Mike was totally uncalled for.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #114  

I love the gray team....I love their attitude....Sione and Felipo were favorites of mine from before. I just like people with positive attitudes who aren't whiners I guess The red team girl needs to go and take her husband with her! I dont care for them at all..I think they only came on the show for the money. I could be wrong but they give that impression. I think Michael on the white team will do better now that his mother isnt there. I think she babies him. Maybe he will "man up" lol! I really like Stephanie (purple daughter)....she is so pretty and I think she will come out of her shell as she loses weight. I just hope she doesn't go crazy like last season's Rebecca! haha
Old 01-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 250+/176/149

Height: 5'7"

I really like the grey team, too.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #116  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 197.6/195.8/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun.e.B View Post
So did NBC screw up and show us the Red lady's weight?? cuz the clip showed her starting 214 lbs and 186 I think it was...that would mean a 28 lb loss! which would prove she's playing the game. I wouldnt think NBC could make that big of a screw up though.
I'm glad you saw that too!! I thought, no I imagined that, but apparently not!
Old 01-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 264.2/264.2/150

Height: 5'5"

Tomato: thanks.. that's my preggy pit bull Jessie. She's a big baby, lol
Old 01-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #118  

I doubt NBC showed her actual weight...they have done this before and it ends up being one of the weights before it shows the actual weight.....you know how they make that scale go up and down and all over the place before actually showing the weight. who knows though...she might have actually lost that much weight since she has rigged the last two.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #119  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

I lost a lot of respect for the red team. I think the water loading is a perfectly acceptable game strategy, but lying about it is just bull-oney. I suppose it makes for more interesting viewing, but I don't particularly like seeing all of the yelling ...

I also think the Gray team has a great attitude - they didn't care if they had immunity, they worked just as hard. Good for them!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #120  

S/C/G: 357/350/180

Height: 5'10"

What I would like to see with the show is all the contestants start out around about the same weight....whether that be the size of the red team or the size of the white guy team. It just seems unfair to put smaller people in with overly large people..the smaller people have an advantage of less body ache and they are able to move about easier. They should do one season with people starting in the 200lbs and one season with people 300+ keep them seperate.

I also think with it being a game and immunity involved...some how they need to figure out how to make the players not know who will have immunity till weigh-in...that way there can be no water loading...because no one will know who has immunity till after weigh-in...I guess just wishful thinking...knowing who has immunity keeps the "drama" going..

I really don't care for the red team...did you see how the guy jerked his shirt back...because he was mad.....he knew what his wife's plan was....Now she is going to have this "huge" loss next week that will keep them around...he will probably water load, so he will have the big loss the following week...ugh, looks like we are stuck with the red team for a while...

just sayin.....

Last edited by Sasil; 01-21-2010 at 10:14 AM.