The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #226  

S/C/G: Before:201 Now:178 Goal: 150

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionista View Post
I had this DVRed and for some reason, it cut off the end! Why was last week's episode played over? I don't get it. I am pissed!
You know what it was, Passionista? The new episode was from 9-11, and 8-9 was a recap. So annoying, huh? The same thing almost happened to me, but we realized 8-9 was a recap early on, so we changed the dvr to record 9-11 instead sorry!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #227  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityQuidditch View Post
You know what it was, Passionista? The new episode was from 9-11, and 8-9 was a recap. So annoying, huh? The same thing almost happened to me, but we realized 8-9 was a recap early on, so we changed the dvr to record 9-11 instead sorry!
This was annoying. I hated the fact that it stretched til 11 pm, I typically go to bed at 10 pm or so., 11 pm is too late, are they nuts? Am I the only one who has to get up in the morning to go to work?

Miggy - is she for real?!? I had appendectomy when I was 22 yrs old and the day after I was glad that I could make it to the washroom without passing out. I cannot believe that she walked THIRTEEN BLINKING MILES a day after surgery!! And the next day 18 miles. Jesus!!! Hats off to Miggy.
It was nice to see the change in her attitude and that she is willing to fight now and stay in the game. BTW, for the lady who asked - I believe Miggy lost 4 or 5 pounds but that was amazing because the Dr. also told her she had some 7 or 8 lbs of fluid in her (that she got during the surgery).

Man, Melissa was SO CLOSE to being booted off the ranch - well the red team was but I hoping they would kick her out. I can't stand that woman. She was entirely PATHETIC in the gym, she screamed worse than as if she was in labour. Would you do that if you had camera in your face? I am sure the leg presses were hard but I consider leg presses one of the easiest exercises anyway. And the crocodile tears, sheesh! I was very disappointed when the brown team dude fell bellow the line.
Umm, sorry, I just needed to went.

So, ladies, don't forget to eat your Jennie O ground turkey (I am sure no other brand will do) and your Yoplait fruit!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #228  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
So, ladies, don't forget to eat your Jennie O ground turkey (I am sure no other brand will do) and your Yoplait fruit!!!
they just crack me up when they have those «commercials» in the middle of the show and they are sooooooooooooooooo rehearsed!!

Re: Miggy's walk-a-thon, good grief, I was shocked that the doctor said it was ok....

Again I agree with you Tomato, Melissa had 3 plates on each side of the leg press, suck it up princess this is what you signed up for !!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #229  

S/C/G: 250+/176/149

Height: 5'7"

IIRC, Miggy lost something like 5#, which is incredible for having had surgery that week.

I really liked Miggy this week. She actually got all teary. And, well, she rocked. Anyone who walks ~ 50 miles the week of surgery deserves to stay another week, so I'm glad she got it.

I was also thrilled that Michael won the challenge. He's so big that he didn't stand a chance at most of them and WINNING this one obviously meant a lot to him.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #230  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I also want to try that smoothie thing! LOL!

You guys, Miggy touched me. I felt for her last night and I almost cried when she was talking to the doctor and told him she walked 13 miles. She said if all I can do is walk, I'm going to walk (all the way to Puerto Rico).

Gosh, she might be one of my favorites now. That woman is crazy strong! I love it!

How old is Sunshine? I thought she was a teenager but her face seems a bit older. I really like her, too.

I was glad the other twin went home instead of Miggy. There I said it!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #231  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I wasn't too pleased with the time change of the show. I'm on the farthest Easterly part of North America and the show didn't end until 12:30 am. I kept falling asleep and only got bits and pieces of the show. I did see most of the weigh in but missed the yellow team coming back and Miggy's surgery. She must have had laproscopic (sp?) surgery to up and about next day. But even then she must have been sore.

What was Red Team Melissa doing all the crying about in Bob's arms? Missed what started that. I know the Red Team was almost under the yellow line but she was sobbing.

Last edited by retiredone; 02-04-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #232  

Height: 5'6"

I think Melissa needs *to go*. What a whiney biatch! When she was talking about attitude in the house (her meaning Miggy) all I could think was...YES...its from YOU! I would be thrilled to see her leave...and saying she was "disappointed" in Lance. Ummm...he was working hard. You can't control how much weight you lose in a week. Geesh...

*Very* impressed with the attitude change in Miggy. I felt badly for her when she went to her room and was finally able to let her emotions out and cry because her daughter left and she was alone. The new and improved Miggy has great potential and is showing some real grit. I was pulling for her last night.

Yeah for Micheal for winning the challenge! Yeah for the Pink team for staying in spite of the 2 lbs disadvantage!!

The twin that went home looks like he is doing what needs to be done at home. Good for him!

I can't wait for next week!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #233  
Let's salsa!

Retiredone, holy moly! I so feel for you - I don't think I would have stayed up till 12:30!

One more thing I wanted to mention - weren't you ladies suprised that Michael won the challenge (hitting the swiveling board - I can't come up with a better term)? I was just surprised to see how easily (at least seemingly easily) he was hitting each side, standing in the same spot - especially compared to the gray team guy who ran a bit back and forth.
I was rooting for the gray team but really the most important thing (to me) was that the red team doesn't win.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #234  

Height: 5'6"

I loved that Micheal figured out a way to get his hits in faster than the other teams. He seemed to set a rhythm and it sure worked! Glad he won the challenge....he was so very happy! The gray team are great guys and wanted to win...just glad red did NOT win!
Old 02-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #235  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Michael is a tall man, with a large wingspan, which enabled him to reach each pad more easily. (I haven't seen him side by side with a Gray Team member, but my guess is he's taller than they are.) Also, his weight certainly helps him with sacking something really hard, and though I am not a physics major, I suspect centrifugal force also worked to his advantage because of the force he was able to exert. Anyway, I love his Italian afro & his retro headband & his love for 80s music. He's a fun guy, a bit of a goof, and I certainly hope he sticks around.

I didn't understand what went on this week. The character arc, I mean. I had some continuity problems. At least two team members seemed to reverse their characters completely from what we saw last week. Miggy became something like a heroine. And was it my imagination, or did Melissa get a gentler edit? Several times they showed her smiling encouragingly at other people & they seemed to highlight her hard work with Bob. Also, the conflict between her & Jillian seemed to be forgotten or at least in abeyance. Has she knocked off the waterloading? But there was one moment, when she said her husband Lance had screwed up. That seemed quite nasty, particularly in the context of this show, when family seems to be a nearly holy concept & everyone's doing it for their family. I wondered then if she & Lance had tried alternating water loading (one weighs in at his or her "real" weight, the other one waterloads slightly) as a way of prolonging their stay on the ranch, and Lance had miscalculated & gone over, inadvertently endangering them. Anyway, given the prominence of the waterloading controversy, I expect that's not over yet.

Count me as someone who sees Stephanie as a rising star. I like best the "straight shooters" like her who discover that they actually like working that hard & rely on their work to carry them. I want another Tara, I guess.

The Gray Team really appeals to me, but they're a bit too absolutist with their ideas of winning meaning everything & anything else meaning nothing. Otherwise they seem like a pair of standup guys. I hope they go far.

I'm less in love with Sunshine and O'Neal than I'd thought I'd be. Their conference together talking over their strategy on the ranch made me wonder. O'Neal has the potential to become a big gameplayer. Oh, please O'Neal, do not disillusion me by becoming like Melissa. Sunshine acceded to her father's plans a little too meekly. I'd like her to become more of her own woman. I hope O'Neal is not going to end up like Ron from a few seasons ago. That would sadden me, as I liked that O'Neal had a bigger agenda in mind, as he said when he spoke about the problem of obesity in the black community.

Last edited by saef; 02-03-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #236  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Anyone else want to trade in the red team for the blue team? I was sorry to see them leave. I love them!
Old 02-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #237  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Does anyone else think TBL seriously crossed a line with Miggy?

I'm sorry, I cant think of any responsible doctor who would think that walking for 13 miles (probably pretty slowly so what 5 hours?) the day after major surgery was in the best interest of the patient overall. And then what 6-7 hours the next day? This is not how a body heals well.

Tomato - I think it was michael's size and weight like saef said, and he had a little patience. I think he was hitting the pad hard but letting the next pad come to him instead of chasing it down, giving him the ability to use his weight shift to launch the pad back around. By running to the pad and trying to hit it quickly they were burning energy and getting less energy on the pad.

Last edited by ennay; 02-03-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #238  

S/C/G: Before:201 Now:178 Goal: 150

Height: 5'1

I agree- I was shocked each time that the 13 mile long walks were mentioned without even a hint of a talk from the doctor or trainers telling Miggy that it was too much. All anyone did was praise her. Clearly they aren't supervised as well as they should be.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #239  
Let's salsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Does anyone else think TBL seriously crossed a line with Miggy?

I'm sorry, I cant think of any responsible doctor who would think that walking for 13 miles (probably pretty slowly so what 5 hours?) the day after major surgery was in the best interest of the patient overall. And then what 6-7 hours the next day? This is not how a body heals well.
I agree 100%, a 13 mile walk is quite an accomplishment for anybody WITHOUT any health issues, and without previous training. It just makes me shake my head why Miggy was even weighed at the end of the week, she should have been completely exempt for at least that one week.

Yes, I was also thinking that Michael is probably a big guy which helped him in the challenge (big in the sense of tall, long arms, etc.).
Old 02-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #240  

S/C/G: 264.2/264.2/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm just disappointed that the red team didnt fall below the line. They need to go already. Also I do not like the yellow team as much as i thought i would after Oneal's speach about "rolling over the competition" if the need be. I wish the blue team had gotten to stay on the ranch, I love their attitude