The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #31  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I fell asleep the last 15 minutes or so and I don't know which twin is James. Is he the one with the bad knee?

I wish they'd keep everyone on the ranch and actually have a real biggest loser without all the game playing but that might not bring in the ratings they want.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/136

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
I fell asleep the last 15 minutes or so and I don't know which twin is James. Is he the one with the bad knee?

I wish they'd keep everyone on the ranch and actually have a real biggest loser without all the game playing but that might not bring in the ratings they want.
The twin who didn't have to go back to work went home. I believe he was the one with the bad knee because he said he had a pool at his house and they showed him swimming at his house.

The twin with a wife and baby who said he would have to go back to work stayed.

It was hard for me to keep them straight, but I think I got it right?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amynbebes View Post
I'm really irritated that they sent 2 teams home after that ridiculous challenge. I know that they have a chance to come back but what a disadvantage it puts them at. You know those people have to be so exicted to finally get to the ranch and then to just get sent home shortly after getting there, yuck.
Agreed!

And, of course, both of the teams that went home were my early favorites.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #34  
Ilene the Bean

I loved the two teams that went home too ... I'm glad though that they are getting a chance of coming back... My heart was brocken when Sunshine had to leave, she is such a cutie...

I'm excited for this season too...
Old 01-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #35  
50 is the new 40!

S/C/G: 165/165/140

Height: All of 5ft Tall

I loved the show last night. I am living in Orlando so I of course was rooting for the twins, But I am also an Italian from Chicago so I was also rooting for the "white team" lol.

I was so proud to see that James had lost 100 pounds at home, it really is a life saving challenge for him.I hope he continues to do well on his journey.

Is it just me, or are the challenges in the beginning getting harder? I thought it was ridiculous that they had bike 26.2 mile from the get go. I wonder how long it will be before one of them has a heart attack on the show.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #36  

yeah I think Sunshine is a cutie too! I hope she loses tons of weight at home and gets to come back...but I like the blue team too....especially when the mom kept going even in pain.....she is a toughy and it would have been great to see her compete.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #37  
One day at a time....

S/C/G: 288/234/199

Height: 5'5''

This is my first time watching from the beginning. I have issues with it, but just a short one for now lol I wish they did more on diet and what they eat. If they really want to help people at home, why dont they give the WHOLE picture so we can try at home??? 10 or even all constantants being sucess stories is nothing compared to the millions of fans that could benefit too from the info and help.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by srr728 View Post
This is my first time watching from the beginning. I have issues with it, but just a short one for now lol I wish they did more on diet and what they eat. If they really want to help people at home, why dont they give the WHOLE picture so we can try at home??? 10 or even all constantants being sucess stories is nothing compared to the millions of fans that could benefit too from the info and help.
Because they want you to spend the MONEY on the books and dvds to get that info!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #39  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I've watched it since I think season 6 and they very rarely talk about what they eat unless it is part of a product placement. I swear if you watch this show you would think they only eat subway, jennie-o turkey, yoplait, cool whip lite & jello, veggies steamed in a ziploc bag and extra chewing gum. Oh and the last 2 season Biggest Loser protein powder

Come to think of it, I'd probably lose weight if those were the only foods I had.

Last edited by ennay; 01-06-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: to add subway, how could I forget subway?!!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #40  
299lbs.wordpress.com

S/C/G: 299/285/145

Height: 5'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I swear if you watch this show you would think they only eat subway, jennie-o turkey, yoplait, cool whip lite & jello, veggies steamed in a ziploc bag and extra chewing gum. Oh and the last 2 season Biggest Loser protein powder
LOL! Yes, hahaha... I know for a fact after watching BL that a piece of Extra Sugar Free Gum only has five calories a pop. Jeez. It's so obvious too! And quite embarassing to watch.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #41  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

And don't forget drinking all that water with the Brita filter ENNAY....
Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I didn't mind that they sent two teams home, as far as the concept goes. They're trying to prove it CAN be done without 24/7 access to trainers, a state-of-the-art gym, etc.

I do remember one aspect of the "two teams going home" thing I didn't like. When they drop such a big bombshell on the contestants like that, and then set them up for a challenge, it's become painful to watch. I had to fast forward though when the blue team mom as literally crying and screaming and BEGGING them to let her stay on the bike, pain or no pain, and finish the challenge for a chance to stay. THAT I didn't like at all. I GET why they do it, with the "proving you can do it at home" thing...but it's gone a little far.

I hope Sunshine and O'Neal come back. I liked them a lot. I hope the white team guy doesn't start to annoy me with the humor. I like him now, and I like Cheryl, the orange team mom.

Last edited by MindiV; 01-07-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #43  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Re: the public initial weigh-in. Was it cruel or was it a forced reality check and public commitment to change? I know I gained weight because I lived in denial, and there's no denying if the numbers are plastered up for all to see. Also, they weighed in front of family and friends who seemed very empathetic and supportive, it's not like they pulled people off the street to taunt them. If anything, it may solidify their home support. So I dunno, maybe it seems cruel, but maybe the effect long-term will be more positive than negative. Time will tell.

Also, I don't think the challenge was as tough as it sounded, I interpreted the challenge to be 26.2 miles "as a team", which means 13.1 each. Still tough for people that overweight and out of shape to be sure, but not as bad as it sounded. I think the show was trying to mitigate the risk after last season - the bike is lower impact than running, and the gym is climate controlled so as to minimize the risk of heat stroke (which took down one contestant last season). I do wonder though, if the final challenge this year will be a century bike ride rather than a marathon? The show does like to mix things up.

I'm another DVR person -- I love the show but can't stand to watch it live. All of the commercials and contrived drama! I skip through all of that.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #44  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/178

Height: 5'11''

A few of my thoughts. Some have been mentioned by others.

I felt so bad for them having to weigh in front of their family and friends. I had thought it would be like 30 people, not hundreds. I would have been mortified. I won't even tell my DH what I weigh, which is part of the problem I guess. If I had to own up to it in front of others, maybe I would have done something about it sooner. Sunshine I felt the worst for, she seemed so embarassed and to now be sent directly home seems just cruel to me.

Sending 2 teams home immediately also seemed cruel, but I realize part of the show is to prove this can be done at home too. It would still be such a mental let down though, to be chosen, go through the humiliation of weighing in front of hundreds of people, get to the ranch and then go right back home.

I am amazed at how James did at home. 100 lb's lost at home is amazing and he is a inspiration to so many that think they can't do it at home. I know that really kicked me in the butt the other night. I have no excuses. My knee is not the best either, but I can still run on the elliptical, so I need to be doing more.

I also found it amazing how the Pink team looks/reminds me of the Pink team of Helen and her daughter.

I love Cheryl, the orange team Mom. She is really coming into her own already and I can tell how much she loves her son and wants to help support him too. As a a Mom I can identify with that.

The product placement stuff is getting old. I know they have to do it for advertising dollars, but Thank God for my DVR! I skip right over them.

Am I the only one that heard Lance tell his wife "Sorry", when he called Allison "Smokin' Hot" in front of her. I would have knocked my DH's teeth out. It's fine to think it, even say it to me, but not on TV in front of me. I hope she shows him how smokin' hot she will be by the end of the show.

Lastly, I was really amazed at the numbers they pulled in the first week. I know they have had high numbers in the first week before, but these were super high to me, from everyone, even the women. I just can't fathom how they can lose that much in 1 week. I know it's a full time job there, but seriously 20-30 lbs in 1 week seems outrageous to me. It also seems like the workouts the first week have gotten more strenous than they have been in the past. It seemed like they used to ease them into a work out routine.

Anyway, excited for next week already.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #45  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

I don't see the public weigh in as a humiliation in the grand scheme of things. I mean, when they sign up for this experience, millions of people see them weigh in every week, and they have no control over how things are edited and therefore, in what light they are shown at the final cut.

I think that if I had to weigh in publicly, it would be intense but that all the other weigh ins would be easier in terms of degree of embarrassment etc. from there on out.

Last edited by Passionista; 01-07-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Smiley fix