The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I agree...public weigh-in wasn't that big a deal. Some did it in a backyard with only friends and family. Others went to the HS gym with hundreds and news crews.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #47  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganizedChaos View Post
Am I the only one that heard Lance tell his wife "Sorry", when he called Allison "Smokin' Hot" in front of her. I would have knocked my DH's teeth out. It's fine to think it, even say it to me, but not on TV in front of me. I hope she shows him how smokin' hot she will be by the end of the show..
That wouldnt bug me at all. dh and I have that kind of jokey relationship so it really wouldnt be a big deal.

I dont really see the problem with the public weigh in...after all you are going to do it on national television soon.

Last edited by ennay; 01-07-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #48  

Smile

I don't post much, but ALWAYS read what others have to say about TBL....love the show.

I think the reason the numbers are so high the first week are for 2 reasons--you are taking people who eat whatever they want and never exercise, and then putting them on strict diet, lots of water, and exercise. Second reason -I read that the contestants go through a "cleansing" for a few days as well (don't know if that is true, but would make total sense).

I hated the part where they sent the 2 teams home....they think they are going to get their chance, and then are sent home? Were they actually sent home, or put somewhere else? Jillian and Bob said they would be able to be accessed, but what can they change....they never got in a single workout or diet info?

I do like the white team guy---but don't think Mom will be there long-she got no air time, and that is usually who you can tell will be around--though I thought the twins would be around a long time, since they got soo much air time.

I, too, would love to DVR the show to ff through commercials and product endorsements, but I don't have the patience to wait til the next day to watch.

Take care everyone!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
I hope the white team guy doesn't start to annoy me with the humor.
LOL! I agree.

Yeah, I was also wondering how the 2 teams are going to get access to Bob and Jillian since the teams were sent home. I guess B&J will travel to their homes. Hmm, interesting.

The husband saying Ali is hot was cute. And, IMO, it's better that he said "Sorry" than had he not said sorry. lol

Last edited by Cali Doll; 01-07-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Did it ever show how long it took them to ride the 26.2 miles? I tried it today (riding 13.1, as if I had a partner doing the other half), and it took me 56 minutes. However, I'm in decent shape and have already lost weight. I set the resistance up to 8 to try to make it harder. While it wasn't that difficult for me, it did get my heartrate up, and I was pretty soaked by the time I was done. I have no idea how someone who weighed over 500 lbs. could do that--I have a lot of admiration for the contestants. I used a recumbent bike, too--sitting on the regular seat would be a killer.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #51  
An Army of One

S/C/G: 346/322 /150

Height: 5'10

the crying/ workout screams are going to drive me crazy
im not really sure how im going to feel about this season
Old 01-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #52  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

Im not a fan of the screaming and groaning either...it really just annoys me. Thank goodness for DVR. haha
Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #53  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I love the show, even though I think all of the things they do are just NOT healthy...but I realize that nobody is going to watch a show about losing 1 to 2 lbs. a week.

Yeah, I didn't appreciate that husband making the comment about Allison being "hot." It's one thing for him to say it when his wife feels good about herself, but the look on her face showed something else entirely. I felt really bad for her. I didn't notice him saying sorry, but that's something, I guess!

I definitely think they need to start talking more about diet...without the stupid plugs. Seriously, just show us their meal time...it would be better than all the time they keep repeating certain segments (before and after commercials, for example). I know they want us to buy the books, but they should also want people to watch the show and this would be a great way to make it more interesting. JMHO.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #54  

I know I would probably grunt and scream while having to workout with Bob and Jillian! Some of that looks impossible to me! LOL! I get really annoyed with the cheesy way they advertise gum and such in the show these days. Why dont they just let the commercial during break speak for itself? lol....oh well..i love the show and will keep watching it. I love the couples...I also loved it when they did whole families against each other!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #55  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriehohlf View Post
The twin who didn't have to go back to work went home. I believe he was the one with the bad knee because he said he had a pool at his house and they showed him swimming at his house.

The twin with a wife and baby who said he would have to go back to work stayed.

It was hard for me to keep them straight, but I think I got it right?
Thanks Lorie. I'm going to try and stay awake next show.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #56  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
Did it ever show how long it took them to ride the 26.2 miles? I tried it today (riding 13.1, as if I had a partner doing the other half), and it took me 56 minutes. However, I'm in decent shape and have already lost weight. I set the resistance up to 8 to try to make it harder. While it wasn't that difficult for me, it did get my heartrate up, and I was pretty soaked by the time I was done. I have no idea how someone who weighed over 500 lbs. could do that--I have a lot of admiration for the contestants. I used a recumbent bike, too--sitting on the regular seat would be a killer.

I remember Allison saying "you've been at this for ONE HOUR" and I dont think anyone was done yet.

While recumbant is easier on the wrists and groin, you can use your weight more on an upright bike to push and you get more power.

What shocked me is they had no toe clips or straps, I cant keep my feet on pedals without the straps.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

If Bob and Jillian were kicking my fat a$$ around a gym for what..8-10hours a day I'd grunt and scream too! LOL!! Those two are the God and Goddess of Pain!!!

I'd like to see more personality from the contestants and trainers.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #58  
Loving Life!

S/C/G: 230/220/120

Height: 5'0"

Yay! I'm so excited I found this group! Last season was my first time watching Biggest Loser and I loved it, so I'm really excited for this time around, too. And people to chat about it with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardendiva View Post
I love this show. It's the one show I cannot miss. This season will be different for me, though, because I am starting my own weight loss attempt. No longer will I be watching the show while chowing down on something fattening, full of guilt but unable to stop. Now I will use it to motivate myself and spur me on.
This is me, too. I felt sooo guilty when I'd be sitting eating chips or ice cream when watching it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieLou View Post
I really liked the show last night. I know some here dont really like the "commercials" within the show...

I saw Jillian on Jay Leno last night and she said she works out three days a week..but it's basically DIET. I wish they would let us know on BL what diet plan the contestants follow.
Am I the only one who finds the oh-so-obvious product placements just really funny? They crack me up, Bob & Jillian sounding like Mr & Mrs Infomercial LOL

I wish they'd focus more on their diets, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbarbie25 View Post
the crying/ workout screams are going to drive me crazy
im not really sure how im going to feel about this season
I know! I DVR the show and usually watch when the baby's napping the next day, and I always have to turn the volume waaaay down when they're working out so they don't wake him up LOL
Old 01-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #59  
Empress/Queen

I think the in-show product placements are funny, too, and more entertaining than a commercial break.

But that said, I also wish they'd focus on the diets and also have more informative workout sessions without flinging weights around using really bad form and grunting, throwing up, screaming, etc., unnecessary.

I like the show, though.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
That wouldnt bug me at all. dh and I have that kind of jokey relationship so it really wouldnt be a big deal.
Allison IS smokin' hot! I wouldn't care if DH said that. We both laughed. Too funny.