The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #166  

did anyone see that they had to call 911 on next weeks episode? I'm wondering if that was the person who had to leave? Maybe the white team guy or brown team guy? idk?!?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #167  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimphin View Post
And - not sure if anyone has mentioned this before - but it looks like the hair and makeup lady finally got to Jillian this season - eye makeup, curly hair... it looks good on her, but ...odd.
Yes, I did notice. It was during one of her comments (she was alone in front of the camera) re the red team (or, more accurately, re the red wife) when I thought holy smokes! Lipstick, mascara, eye shadows, the whole works.
It did look nice on her - she is very attractive looking on her own, without anything else - but somehow I prefer them sans make up when it's in the context of exercise. I know Jillian doesn't exercise per se, she just cracks the whip, but still.
OTOH, I did not like her make up when she and Ali Vincent were interviewed the next morning after Ali became the first female biggest loser.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #168  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

Well regarding the Red Team, I agree that she does manipulate her husband just like the scales and yes for a lawyer her verbal skills suck! I want to slap that smirk off her face!!! But Karma is always the bigger b***h and they can't get immunity every week!

Green Team-Something definately did happen in the heads of them that had Migdalia wanting to leave. Knowing her husband was deploying to a war zone where he may not return from alive may have affected her more than she thought. Especially once she was on the ranch and away from him. I do wonder though how would she have done on the ranch had Miggy been sent home? I think Miggy had too much influence on her and if separated, Jillian and Bob might have been able impact her alot.

Purple, Black and Orange teams-I think they have what it take to just fly under the radar of this drama and go far in the game.

It was funny watching Jillian laugh at Red team when she cried about being called a liar on TV. HA! Bob and Jillian did have some amazing restraint and professionalism regarding Red Team. How many others would when faced with the situation. Red team saying the they had no respect for Bob and Jillian, well anyone who is gonna say and do what they did, ummm Bob and Jillian should have no respect for THEM!

Kimphin-the hair and makeup did look great on Jillian, but I wonder how she was convinced to go through so much of it? From what I know about Jillian, she seems like a huge tomboy and hair and makeup must be torture!

Next weekOMG! Who was the 911 call for? Could be White team guy, Brown team guy or Pink Daughter. My bet is for Brown team guy. He or his brother had a moment in week 1 with Jillian about being "cursed" as so many family members died and being worried about it. THey showed the weigh in and you could see tears on the faces of the gray team so that leads me to think whoever the 911 was for, isn't returning. I just hope that person survives!

BTW-Does anyone else think Bob looks a little to thin lately? Hope he hasn't been sick.

Last edited by Violin Jenn; 01-27-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #169  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Aparently I'm the only one who likes Miggy. I think she's tough, like in the workout where Migdalia was her "teacher" and told her she could rest, she chose to keep pushing. True they didn't handle being given the 2 pound disadvantage too well, but I'd be pissed too. You can't avoid feeling like it's personal. Oh, and I thought it was pretty ballsy that Migdalia admited that she gained some weight back initially after going home. It's great that she's back at it now though.

I also like Ashley from the pink team, the girl left on purple (ha, i keep forgetting her name because she's never in the drama!), and both guys on the grey team.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 01-27-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #170  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by safyre View Post
I tell you what, I think the wife on the red team manipulates her husband as much as she does the scale. Wow.
And the green team... meh. The game wasn't going in their favor and their attitudes were pushing everyone away from them so they gave up. Instead of trying to make friends and push themselves they just decided the world was against them.
From the previews of next weeks episode, it looks like one of the two (if they go to that?) falls below the yellow line walks off.. I wonder if it's the other green member. It wouldn't surprise me - everyone else WANTS to be there.
That's what angers me so much about the green team- there are people who would LOVE to be there right now getting the help and training they need to succeed at weight loss, yet these two just pissed it away. Kind of abused the opportunity if you ask me.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 264.2/264.2/150

Height: 5'5"

Did anyone else catch the red b**** giving a smart a$$ wink and smirk to the green team after they exchanged words at the weigh in?? I really hope she goes on soon.. And the gray team are wonderful guys... there is no way i would have given red a call home. I dont care for green's attitude either, but the red team wanted them gone, or more specifically she wanted miggy gone. She tried to convince everyone else to vote for miggy saying all the drama comes from her. I have a hard time believing that since red b is all about the drama
Old 01-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #172  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I was actually fascinated by the green team.

To me, their demeanor seemed like a cultural thing. Not Puerto Rican, but urban ghetto. I live very near the Bronx & I have seen this sometimes on the trains when a confrontation is about to happen. To not be a victim in that culture, you must appear strong, very large, able to take care of yourself, and you must mask your feelings in public. You must be proud & represent your ethnicity & your family.

Also, authority is generally not your friend. The general demeanor in the face of authority is defiance. Frustration & anger are what is going on underneath, & a feeling they cannot possibly win anything, ever.

I have seen people from that culture laughing together one minute & then, when a transit cop comes by, their faces freeze over. It's like seeing a visor come down on a helmet, blocking out all expression.

If Miggy & Migdalia do not live in that culture anymore, they may have successfully extricated themselves -- they may be part of the emerging middle class, rather than poor -- but the culture may have influenced them, even aside from their own personal family culture.

I do not say everyone experiencing urban poverty is like this, but some are, and as I said, the whole demeanor in that atmosphere makes complete sense. It is one gigantic defense mechanism.

But when someone is removed from that culture, and placed in a more middle-class setting, where the culture is completely different, all that anger & frustration & all the old tactics that seemed appropriate to the old environment look threatening, hostile, cold & closed-off.

Miggy strikes me as a proud stubborn survivor of tough times who does not know how to adapt to a different reality. Same with Migdalia & her coping mechanisms.

Which is probably why I give Lady Macbeth of the Red Team less of a pass. She's a middle-class lawyer, well within her element & supposedly good at communicating, which is one of lawyers' skills. Her behavior during the weigh-in was similar to a malicious "mean girl" teen.

During the previews for the next show, when the ambulance came roaring in, I wondered if Lady Macbeth had waterlogged so much for the next weigh-in that she damaged herself with water intoxication & flushed out all her electrolytes.

But nah, it was probably someone I like a lot being injured & pushed out of the game.

Last edited by saef; 01-27-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #173  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
Aparently I'm the only one who likes Miggy. I think she's tough, like in the workout where Migdalia was her "teacher" and told her she could rest, she chose to keep pushing. True they didn't handle being given the 2 pound disadvantage too well, but I'd be pissed too. You can't avoid feeling like it's personal. Oh, and I thought it was pretty ballsy that Migdalia admited that she gained some weight back initially after going home. It's great that she's back at it now though.

I also like Ashley from the pink team, the girl left on purple (ha, i keep forgetting her name because she's never in the drama!), and both guys on the grey team.
No, I like Miggy for many of the reasons that Saef says, but I wanted Miggy to go home because I think Migdalia needed more Dr. Phillian.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #174  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Well put, saef. I like(d) the green team as well. I understood their anger and it frustrated me to see Jillian pushing so hard to get the daughter to open up (2 weeks ago). It's just not something you can force on her - at least not this early on.

I think they are both fighters and I believe they'd cut you if you cross them. lol! They fascinate me really.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #175  

LIke I said before...Migdalia had alot of reasons to want to go home. We can't judge her feelings until we have been there. I myself would not like the constant pressure of cameras and mikes in my face along with the interviews and cheesy commercials you have to do to be on the show while you miss your kids so much. Having said that...I love WATCHING the show...but would never wanna be on it for those reasons! Miggy and Migdalia were smiling and cheerful when together on the first episode but yeah I agree that they were putting up their defenses on the show. Also...we must remember all the editing that happens and how BL likes to make someone a "bad guy" every show I think red team woman is doing that enough on her own this time though! No amount of editing can make her look as bad as what has already come out of her mouth!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #176  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

The red team's been annoying me for a while, but what really put them on my bad side was her smiling when the green team didn't lose enough last night. She didn't even try to wipe off that grin, and then she just haaaaad to comment. It's just plain b**chy to gloat when someone doesn't do well on the scale.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #177  

Re Miggy/ghetto issues--it could just as easily be basic self-respect. We all have lines we will. not. cross. and it's not unreasonable for someone to be willing to be half-naked on tv but not willing to let some personal trainer decide that suddenly she's gonna be our therapist, for the delight of the viewing audience.

****, I'd go on air naked (and unwaxed) before I'd play that emotional/psychological bit of the game.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #178  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

How about how Miggy just let Migdalia go home without putting up a fight for her own daughter. I feel she has manipulated that girl her whole life. Migdalia must have said at least ten times "I have to take care of my mother." It should really be the other way around. By far Migdalia needed to be there more than her mother, she had/has considerably more weight to lose. I think if Migdalia had stayed she might have been able to work thru some of her issues.

That being said I couldn't stand that team from the start. They just really were all attitude. What I wouldn't give to have my brother go on that show, they get the chance and then b***h and complain about it the whole time. It's a game and game play will always be involved.

Can't stand the red team either. She def manipulates her dh too! It's like she is the puppet master in that relationship.

I love the white team guy. Hope he goes far. I think it was so cool of him to not say anything to all of them last week. I probably would have cussed them out. T
Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #179  

S/C/G: 357/350/180

Height: 5'10"

I'm thinking the 911 call :-( has made someone leave the ranch and that is why there will be no voting next week.

Red team still stinks...

Green team really stinks...I can't stand attitude..I think it is time for the Mom to go home now...so many people would love to have the chance they had to be on Biggest Loser...and they seem to have just thrown that chance away.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #180  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclai4067 View Post
The red team's been annoying me for a while, but what really put them on my bad side was her smiling when the green team didn't lose enough last night. She didn't even try to wipe off that grin, and then she just haaaaad to comment. It's just plain b**chy to gloat when someone doesn't do well on the scale.
YES! that was so uncalled for! I also go back to what we said last week about having contestants on the show that are all equal weights. It is SO much easier for someone to get around at 200 pounds than 400 or 500 pounds. The red team got immunity cause they were able to run back and forth for the cards faster. I just dont think that is fair.