Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #91  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, traveling to and fro wearing only gym shorts and t-shirt. Walked to a friend's house in the evening wearing a long sleeved shirt and jacket. I'm not new to New England weather, but I still have a brain that believes that when warmth arrives it's to remain.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including two hours in the evening around a coffee table offering walnuts, almonds, and raisins. It was like I'd picked my own favorites to be offered, yet I had none. I looked at each item and imagined it ensconced in gelato, LOL, and thought I'd wait.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Weighing daily annoys me because there's so little information in one day. Yet when I stop the daily ritual, it's almost certain that I'm gaining and avoiding confronting that.

spanky - Congrats on another pound down. That book sounds fun.

nationalparker – It always warms my heart to hear of homeowner repairs saving $$$$ - my Congrats to your DH. Kudos for the recover from the 'hungrys' last night. Hope you have a fine dinner with the in-laws.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Another Kudos for "another OP day." Leaving part of a taco salad is a big deal.

flnu - Kudos for recognizing excuses are just excuses. Prioritizing our time seems to be a lifetime challenge.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at trying to sneak out for a hike before the bugs wake. Kudos for being mindful of what you're putting in your mouth. I think spinach and chick peas are a super combination.

Violette_R - Sending supportive thoughts as you process the loss of your uncle and the family dealings that accompany the mourning. Kudos for getting back into your eating plan for losing.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It
. . . . .Once I believe that I've
lost weight due to my own efforts,
. . . . . .dieting will be easier.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 243.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:02 AM   #92  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default sitting down - day 12

Yesterday did not go so well in the afternoon. That's fairly typical of an afternoon when I've increased weights in the morning (has been like this for years and years). Although I planned in extra food it wasn't enough, or wasn't at the right time, or wasn't sleep or something. I'll keep collecting information about this.

Today I've weighed myself and I've planned my food. I'm not having a mid-morning snack as today is not a formal exercise day. At the moment I'm channelling maryann: I can make it through till noon (15 minutes to go, as I write).

Bill, good to hear you're getting the correct clothes sorted out. There was an April Fool's joke this year about how Italy is introducing the sartorial police to sort out ill-dressed tourists. Lots of people did not realise it was a joke and strongly approved of it! (You and I could get badly out of synch if I keep posting ahead of you!)

gardenerjoy, yes, I'd realised that 'rational' and 'inflammation' didn't really go hand-in-hand. That's why I asked, in case you'd come across something. Miriam Nelson is a good suggestion. I read all her books about ten years ago and they provided a good foundation for me. I do like reading to support my diet and exercise endeavours but I'm not interested in fad-type books. I might go back to Nelson. Thanks for reminding me. By the way, interesting to notice that you've put your one-line summary in your post, in normally-sized font. That makes it much more central than having it at the bottom, in small type (as I think you used to do).

Violette, I am sorry to hear about your uncle. Very good luck with all the arrangements and family dynamics.

karenrn, I did laugh about "Better living thru chemistry"! I agree with you and have just had a couple of ibuprofen after manoeuvring three heavy mirrors in confined spaces.

flnu, I don't think I realised you'd been living abroad. And I am keeping in mind it would be almost impossible for you to get fired - and wondering what on earth you do?!

beth, lots of credit in your post. I heartily agree that it's impossible to overeat romaine or spinach!

nationalparker, may the stress pass over, and sooner rather than later.

spanky, bad luck with the GI virus. I do like the sound of Maps, Charts and Graphs.

to all lurkers.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches!
A beautiful cool morning here, after a too early hot day. But we still all remember the snow and are grateful for heat!

I didn't get the new cards written. It was a birthday weekend for a family member and lots of stuff going on, including HOURS of unpleasant talks with DD- we seem to have to fight to get anything accomplished, ie, you need to learn how to cook your own lunch. Her first answer to anything new is no, and its all very exhausting. So much for a happy mothers day!

Anyhow- have made salads for lunches, had a very healthy salmon dinner last night and resisted snacking last night even though a fudgsicle was calling my name. so credit for that! Its harder to get exercise in even though its so nice out, as I'm driving the kids around to sports practice after school, then doing dinner, clean up etc, and then I'm tired in the pm. so i'll have to rethink how to work it in.

Violette- so sorry to hear about your uncle. Hope everything goes okay with the family issues.
Beth- good idea to turn over all the clothes! I need to do that too- I think I can safely pack away the mittens at this point!

Waving to all!
Old 05-12-2015, 10:07 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

silverbirch: good for you for lifting and having an exercise and complementary food plan.

Credit to me for sticking very mindfully to one plate of food at dinner (and all my other meals too-but dinner is the challenging one.)

Last edited by flnu; 05-12-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #95  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default catching up with my coaches

Coaches

I kept thinking of all of you but just didn't make it here to post. I am down over my WW progress. Really that should be "progress". I am still yoyoing up and down. I saw 280 yesterday. 277 today. 275 official weigh in last week which is still+1 over my lowest weight which was a 6lb drop in my first week to 274. I am tracking but I am eating every point I am allowed and I don't space the extra ones out. I have lots on a Friday/Saturday and spend the rest of the days hoping there's enough time to get the extra immediate gains off. It's not a good plan inspite of it fitting into the WW plan.

This weekend has been worse. Made MIL soup from scratch and we had BBQ lunch on Sunday. MIL told us they found nodules in her lungs and she's having a cat scan and knows she must stop smoking. This is the 2nd gardening season plus all the months I between she hasn't been up to gardening. She is skin and bones and a bad colour. She asked for flowers and I brought some nice planters that I stood in a ridiculously long Costco line up for the morning of mother's day. You can imagine. I never made it to see my mother. My sister called I upset as she never did send flowers to my mom and then I never saw her. I felt like a s%#t.

Also this week results from a test of a mole came back and while the dermatologist was certain she had removed most of the what would have been a bad cancer had I not asked for it to be checked, to be prudent they scheduled a further removal of more of me from around the site of the mole. It was on my upper thigh on the right side. I saw the plastic surgeon yesterday and got the first stitches I have ever had. The incision is about 2" all very handily stitched up. I admired the handiwork today. But, alas, it hurts when I stand.

So I feel a bit crummy on many levels and I stayed away from here too. I think it's unnecessary for me to feel alone with the weight struggles and emotions. So I'm posting and I thank you for reading.

Last edited by onebyone; 05-12-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #96  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

onebyone: it sounds as if you're having a rough time right now. Do you have any ideas about what might help?

Today was a "hungry" day--I was hungry an hour before lunchtime (but waited). I was hungry an hour before snack time (but waited until 15 minutes before, since I had a conference call at snack time). I was hungry before dinner--and waited. I am hungry now--and am reminding myself that hunger is not an emergency. I will have my evening fiber supplement drink and no additional food.

Even with all of the hunger, I stayed within my calorie goals. Credit for eating at least part of each meal mindfully. I even savored bites when I ate breakfast in the car. (Yeah, I eat in the car) (But it was my planned and OP breakfast). I read my ARC this morning and weighed. I'm posting tonight although it's late and I'm tired. I ate breakfast, lunch, and snack exactly as planned. I had another "off track" dinner--but made a choice within my eating plan.

Our evenings get so crazy it's hard to plan for dinner. I was heading home from work late--and DH was later, and I had a meeting, and ate on the run--but it was an acceptable choice on-the-run, so I'm counting that as a win. I recognize the need for planning, but our dinners get so crazy.

Night, all.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:13 AM   #97  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Wrapping up work for the night and enjoyed a few hours break earlier this evening as we took DH's folks out for a belated Mother's Day. He bought me beautiful red roses and cleaned the rest of the house while i was at work. Nice!

I did not do well at dinner but it could have passed for an indulgent meal, bringing some home as I ordered a three-piece appetizer for my entree of a chicken roll type thing. THEN I indulged in the cake I baked and frosted - bundt - it's delicious and I savored it. SO that's that. Scale up to 170 today. The trouble to me is when it's data, I seem to not care. ACK. I don't want to panic, either. I need the middle ground of active concern.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:58 AM   #98  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was close enough to plan, CREDIT moi, including lunch with for a bunch of us at the home of a friend who provided deli-sandwiches, brownies, cherries, and drinks. I am pleased that I only had half a sandwich - they were big - while my friends all consumed both halves. I avoided the liquid calories, but I did have a handful of cherries and one and a half brownies which were bite-sized. Brownies aren't part of my normal lunch, but the guy who split the brownie with me is rail thin and rather brilliant, which seduced me. If he can have it, then certainly I can. Don't know which Sabotaging Thought that corresponds to, but it certainly wasn't logical thinking.

Not much exercise - Ouch. The knit shirts I want to wear to Italy look tired, so I'm off today to find a couple of fresh looking shirts. I tend to forget that I can cease wearing clothes just because they are no longer attractive. As kids, the only sign of worn clothes were major holes or rips. It's about time for me to upgrade my notion of clothes that I want to wear.

onebyone – The swings of the scale are, indeed, a bummer. Congrats for getting past the hurdle of first stitches it gets easier after that. Sending supportive thoughts as you continue to face the burden of feeling that you are sufficiently supporting your mother.

silverbirch – Kudos for clearing away old mirrors just because you want to use their space for something else. When we repainted a few years ago, we put an Ikea mirror in the powder room; it cost next to nothing and looks great, but I constantly check it to see if it's started flaking away yet. [I am painfully aware that I will never look as neatly attired as the Italian men walking down the street.]

nationalparker – Yay for a cleaned house as a Mother's Day acknowledgement. My take is that savoring an indulgence is getting the mileage that it costs which is much better than that awful feeling that I get when I indulge in a commercial cookie. Kudos for being aware.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Ouch for the super busy's that make planning difficult. Kudos for standing down the hunger multiple times.

flnu - One plate of food is such a good signal to the brain that food is a finite thing - Kudos.

curlyjax - Yep, this being tired in the evening business is a challenge. Kudos for ignoring that fudgsicle.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress

Everyone experiences some type of stress every day. In fact, mild stress can actually be helpful if it motivates you to be productive. But moderate to high levels of stress are counterproductive. Even if you're not under much stress today, you will be sooner or later, so prepare yourself now.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 244.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:44 AM   #99  
in development

Default sitting down - day 13

Yesterday worked out OK in the end.

Today is off to a bad start. My phone's battery decided to drain overnight. I slept in and have been on the back foot ever since. OK, it's only four hours but I certainly feel off balance.

I decided to have a big breakfast to "fuel" my weights workout so I didn't eat badly off-plan afterwards (a danger when I increase the weights I use). I can tell you that this was a bad idea. All went well and then I got a tummy ache. I soldiered on. It seemed to go away. And then I ate badly off-plan afterwards, standing up. And now I've got a tummy ache again.

(Someone else mentioned this notion of fuelling the other day and concluded it wasn't a good move. I should have paid more attention.)

Onward, though. I'll eat smaller portions throughout the day.

I have weighed myself (strangely up). I have made an outline food plan.

curlyjax, sympathy for a hard weekend. Your salmon dinner sounds nice. I can always eat one of those.

flnu, sticking to one plateful of food at dinner is so good! Credit!

onebyone, :hugs: Sorry to hear about the sister drama. All we can do, is do the best we can, it seems to me. And it's hard enough to do that sometimes (speaks one who knows ...) :hugs: again. Also for the stitches.

Beth, credit for all that waiting and for an acceptable choice on the run.

nationalparker, this is good:
Quote:
I need the middle ground of active concern.
Me too.

Bill, I've fallen for wanting to eat like (and so become)
Quote:
the rail thin and brilliant
person. It's a trap but when it's baited with cherries and little brownies - difficult to resist. [You may not look as smart as the Italian gents but you'll feel much more comfortable. I think it's a case of finding the middle path.]
Old 05-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #100  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday was my birthday, but that's not why I didn't post. I just got distracted, I guess. I made chocolate chip bread -- a reasonable substitute for the cake that I thought I wanted and now I'm glad that I didn't have!

WI: +0.25 kg, Exercise: +40 490/1300 minutes for May, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: DH was inspired to buy a linen scarf in Paris to look more like French men. He has, of course, not worn it once since -- not a look that St. Louis is ready for.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 05-13-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #101  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

No exercise yesterday cause I ironed several hours and then was going to have a museum outing and then out to lunch. Turns out the museum is closed both Monday and Tuesday now, but we had a nice out to lunch. Split a burger with my friend who was really wanting it. Still probably no worse than anything else I would have chosen.

Hiked to Bell Pass and back with Hiking Suzanne this morning, credit. Continuing to work on not eating back too many exercise calories, but had a wonderful mango with a little cottage cheese on my return. PT in less than an hour. It is actually no worse than my home exercises, especially after the warm compress, massage and final ice pack.

One of the gals at lunch yesterday gave up sugar as in sweets a couple of years ago and looks and feels great. I don't think she checks labels looking for sugar, but also probably doesn't eat much in the way of processed foods. Probably lost about 15-20 pounds in that time. I always like to hear what people are doing for their health whether it is something I would do or not, always like to consider.

Gardnerjoy A belated Happy Birthday to you!

I'd better go get ready for PT. Need a little do and face before I go.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good evening, Coaches.

Back at work after a five day break. I throughly enjoyed the biking at Mother's Day and was gifted a new helmet. With my knees beginning to ache regularly, it will be nice to have the option of biking now instead of step class or walking.

The bike path gave me a renewed appreciation of my home town. We rode through almond, prune,walnut, olive, and peach orchards. We passed rice, wheat, safflower and tomato fields. Wow. Nowhere but Northern California.

So I still struggle with special events but now back in the saddle for three days with a noticeable improvement in sitting while I eat (thanks Silverbirch) And Yes, discovered once again 12:00 came at school with no need for sweets to help the clock along.

Super beat tonight after school. Tonite's truth: Apathy and ignorance are more destructive than violent outbursts. I guess that is true in every work environment but maybe super noticeable in a school. Today, I was able to not "fix" anything but simply ensure compliance without alienation. In the end, students and teachers have to want to improve. If my hand is too heavy, it becomes a power struggle.

This stuff usually makes me pretty hungry but tonite I close the kitchen with a super light dinner.

Oh and heard my school has won a big award at the state. Going to meet some VIPs in Sacramento at a dinner celebration. Nice to know I have lots of becoming clothes to wear.

Last edited by maryann; 05-13-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:12 PM   #103  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Two more weeks of uber busy with work and then a much-needed break in only regular work not long hours and higher stress than normal.

Dinner was swapped out to turkey burgers on the grill as the weather was sunny and gorgeous. Did baked beans and leftover carrots. Ate the bun, though. Life will go on.

I need to set time tomorrow to be a more active participant on here!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #104  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I started out with another hungry morning--and this time decided to have a small snack--carefully measured out. That made a big difference. I think my initial calorie goals (and therefore my breakfast) were just too low. Hunger may not be an emergency, but there's no way I can deal with being actively hungry all the time--that's not going to be successful.

So, I'm increasing my calorie goal (which was very low) to something that is just low, and will plan for a slightly higher calorie breakfast and see how much difference that makes.

Night, all.

--Beth
Old 05-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Just waving. Exercised yesterday. Ran 2 miles. But not today. Will go to seep tomorrow. Love step.
Closed Thread