Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Got into a little tiff as I Took DS to the school bus this morning for a field trip for an amusement park. I guess I must have been hovering too much and he spat back. i told him then that I was anxious about him going so far away and that I know he is not my baby boy anymore. He squeezed my shoulder and it was alright. These little episodes of conflict, hard truth and then redemption seem to be the constant these days. My own fault since my whole life I have never heid a feeling in or let things slide. People think I am so forthright and impervious but really I am scared little kid who goes and eats in solitude after a confrontation. At least that is who I was. I don't have to do that anymore. I can weather the storm that truth often produces and be kind to myself by sticking to my meal plan.

spanky: You and I must be from the same generation. We say "xerox" instead of "copy" and the youngsters laugh.

curleyjax: I encourage you to take some time thinking about your wardrobe. If you invest time by trying on lots of different outfits, donate what doesn't work, take pictures of the outfits that do, then you never have to think about what to wear in the morning. The mornings are my busiest time. It gives me so much encouragement to stay OP when I get positive feedback from people.

Last edited by maryann; 05-08-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:21 AM   #62  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I agree with bethFromDayton that the Blue Book seems best, at the start, for review. Each of the Foundation Strategies are only given a couple of pages. It's way too easy to read through these Foundation Strategies rather than work through them. The structures in the Pink Book and the Green Book make it more likely that readers will actually do them. Adding the game element made a difference for me so that I actually took Beck's suggestion to add a new strategy every few days, building on the foundation of the previous ones.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +20 245/1300 minutes for May, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

curlyjax: I always munched and drove on long trips, too. After I made my rule to never eat in the car, I stopped that and learned the pleasure of picnics at rest stops. My brain still knows all the exits where the best treats live. I hope someday that disappears to make room for more important facts.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #63  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default sitting down - day 8

I'm getting the hang of sitting down to eat again. But I seem to be eating more - or perhaps I'm just noticing how much I'm eating. That's probably more like it.

gardenerjoy, I just thought of you when I was in the car. As I ate something I thought: 'Gardenerjoy stopped doing this and she finds it much better. I should copy her.' So I will and I'll let you know how I get on.

I don't understand how so many people are going to or coming back from Italy and I'm not. I've been teaching Italian to English translation to final year university students and am about to mark their finals. I'd rather be in Italy. I feel I have the right to be there; there rather than here receiving all these difficult situations to deal with, just dropped from the sky, as Bill said. Life doesn't work like that.

Summer clothes? Oh dear. Bulges. I'll leave it there.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #64  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Hiked Bell Pass this morning, 2 1/2 hours. Actually I was about 5 minutes slower than usual but I was trying to be careful. Last time I hiked it I had on a 30 pound backpack and I have to say it wasn't much easier today, but I'll get there. Credit for continued exercise. Credit too for therapy exercises. My friend and her retired orthopedic surgeon husband came over yesterday. They can't believe how well I'm doing. Obviously my arm shifted after the initial x-ray, in a good way.

Still eating a little too much to actually lose any weight. I'm doing a pretty darn good job of maintaining though.

Maryann Thanks for the hints about the camisole with crocheted top. I bet that would look nice with a flowing skirt and seem like a dress. I'll have to check that out.

BBE You are doing so well. I need some of your weight loss mojo. You will be svelte for your trip for sure.

Gardenerjoy No eating in the car is one of my rules too, as is no eating at the movies. I will admit to breaking the car rule infrequently and I must say it is always something I shouldn't be eating.

Waving to everyone else. I need to get in the shower to clean up and warm up my arm and then work on my exercises now that the Ibuprofen has kicked in.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #65  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Ho! "We say "xerox" instead of "copy" and the youngsters laugh.:

Actually, it seemed better than saying I "xeroxed a batch of xeroxes" or "copied a batch of copies", just my OCD coming to the fore as I write. Besides, our lab has a Xerox sitting over there....
Old 05-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hi all, just stopping by and checking in. Not losing but not gaining it back either. So yay! I am so impressed with how folks stick around in this forum. When I last checked in you were all reading the green book, so I finally went and got the green book (and now you've all moved on to blue - heh). Credits for today: OP for breakfast. Little bobble at lunch in the guise of a lovely deviled egg. Here's to an OP dinner tonight. Hunger is not an emergency.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #67  

Height: 5' 2"

NationalParker Your experience as "Sub" for new student that opened up to you - somehow I'm not surprised she chose you to talk with.

CurleyJax You have task that I'd love to see. Making cards to deal with issues and trying to ward off depression.

Yesterday I went to the funeral of a dear friend who had been suffering for years. He and his wife have been long time friends of ours. She and I worked together for years. Now after 54 years of marriage she is alone. I feel so concerned for her. She has family about 3.5 hour drive from here. In fact her family took up 7 or 8 pews during the funeral. How loved they both have always been.

I hit bottom afterward. So fortunate to have my beloved husband and recognize I need to make sure he knows how much I love him often every day.

MaryAnn I like the idea of adding a top that is embroidered or lacy and airy over those sleeveless dresses that don't look good on most of us no matter our age once we are 40 or above.

Bill Several times this week I faced blank page and could only think about what I wanted to eat. Sympathy offered. Wish I were as loyal to walks daily as you are.

This morning I was out digging in garden while it was nice and cool. Surprised this evening that the plants I put in and watered in well, didn't wilt in today's very high heat (Unusual here for May).

Inside work made lots of progress during heat of day but I'm too tired now to go work in garden anymore. Time to simply put up my feet and relax.

Karen How well you are progressing after having to stop hiking for a while. Not to gain is a very good thing.

Last edited by love2garden; 05-08-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: new thoughts
Old 05-09-2015, 01:11 AM   #68  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

I'm struggling with wanting to eat to "fuel" myself during extra-long workdays. Started at 7:30 a.m. and still going but working from home until about 5 a.m. when all our data will be in for the night to handle. One more really long day and then a regular workday on Sunday. I went to the kitchen a while ago instead of brushing my teeth to signal "DONE" ... I toasted two slices of bread, buttered them and ate them and while i was sitting, I certainly didn't savor them. Phooey.

Love2Garden - I feel for you with the loss of your friend and concern for the one who has to go it alone now. Does she live nearby or did you have to go out of town for the funeral?

Hoping to be able to get out for an hour's worth of errands before it all picks up by noon. I asked DH to not wake me when he comes in bc I will have only had a couple of hours of sleep by then. I will be surprised if I sleep through him climbing into bed.

Bill - Are you on the countdown for your trip yet? I think we're heading next year and so I'm ALREADY on that countdown ha ha. I'm excited for this year's camping trip but more excited for Italy. That will always trump all, probably until I have a bad experience there..
Old 05-09-2015, 01:19 AM   #69  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I'm not going to Italy, but I'm helping my daughter plan her trips--a year abroad in London and we talked about all the other travel she wants to do! Her current roommate is planning on meeting her in Italy for winter break.

Summer clothes--I literally had zero capris/shorts that fit. Zero. I took a first pass through my closet and made piles--1 size smaller, 2 sizes smaller. I'm going to box them all up. DD and I went to the store today and I bought some capris--I had to--have to have something other than jeans to wear when it's 85 out.

Food today wasn't as planned, but was within calorie goals. In fact, I give myself credit for when it was clear that we weren't going to make it to the grocery store and home in time to make dinner, I made a good restaurant choice and a good menu choice--and I eyeballed the portion and didn't eat all over the overlarge helping of gyro meat on my greek salad.

DD is incredibly supportive and didn't select restaurants--because she wanted me to pick something that would work for my meal choices.

The grocery run after clothes shopping and dinner was hard--for some reason, I wanted something sweet. I didn't give in at the grocery store--and decided that a diet coke from the McD's drive thru would solve my sweet need--and it did. Credit for a non-caloric solution.

Other credits for today--read my ARC, breakfast and lunch were just as planned, all food in MFP.

Night, all
Old 05-09-2015, 06:34 AM   #70  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - International Migratory Bird Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies Did gym, CREDIT moi, noting that I get bored on the elliptical sooner than I do on the treadmill. That provided a thought to ponder for the duration, although I don't know how much mileage I can get out of pondering boredom as a strategy to fight boredom.

Eating was 100% on plan, CREDIT moi. DW served my dinner portions slightly larger than I would have served myself, but I ate it. That fits 'on plan' because my plan is to eat the dinner that my DW serves. She's a fit 120 pounds and prepares meals considering both nutrition and calories. Someday I'll get better at leaving food on my plate for the worms in our compost bin. Cultural joy was to hear Mozart's Don Giovanni last night. As always, the Don gets his punishment at the end. The story to tell is that next year Puccini's La Boheme will be staged in the student uprisings of 1968 Paris. I've got a year to ponder how Mimi can die of consumption in a country with superb medical care in 1968. Opera does require a bit more separation from reality than movies or stage.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Have you found any mention of 'Coach' or 'Buddy' in the Blue Book? I want to change the title of this thread for June but haven't spotted if Beck has introduced a third word or has dropped the idea.

silverbirch Why don't you just drop by and join us in Rome? We've rented an Airbnb that certainly has a couch or something. You can help me with gelato control. (Here's how Tina Fey showed Dave Letterman how she solved the bulges issue. Warning: TMI.)

maryann - I'm always moved by your perspective, " I don't have to do that anymore" - Kudos for being able to see yourself.

spanky - LOL at 'xeroxed' - I knew what you meant without flinching. Glad that stomach thing is over.

nationalparker Just WOW! - 7 am to 5 am is one loooong work day. Ouch for the diversion to the kitchen. Hope you can find a strategy to ward off the mindless wandering to the kitchen when under such duress. [Yep, countdown to Italy is underway. I'm at the panic stage.]

Beth (bethFromDayton) Kudos for shopping for clothes that fit instead of avoiding the topic to avoid accepting the current size. And Kudos for raising a DD who supports you on your journey.

flnu - My take is that it's a good day if the only "bobble" is a deviled egg. Always enjoy the reminder, "Hunger is not an emergency."

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for your arm continuing to heal itself. Kudos for maintaining rather than indulging in food to commiserate about your arm.

curlyjax - Kudos for recognizing and finding a strategy to fight the munchies during a long drive. I recognize that discomfort hearing other parents telling stories of unbounded successes while working with a kid who's struggling. I once related that I'd fought with my son to get him into clothes for kindergarten only to be told, "Our son selects his own clothes each morning and dresses himself." Thirty years later, I still find that hard to believe.

love2garden - Sending supportive thoughts as you help your friend face this next phase of her life. Kudos for getting out to garden before the heat.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It

Build More Confidence

How often do you have these kinds of thoughts and how do you respond to them when they do arise?

It's important to continually take stock of what you've learned and the progress you've made. You need to recognize that you've lost weight because of your own efforts. You can continue to make this happen. Reinforce this idea by writing in your diet notebook exactly how you're different.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 241.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Food OP yesterday with much less standing while eating. The scale was back to ticker, though, after step class. I count it as a success and I feel I am on the hunt for under 160. I pulled out a pair of flattering purple jeans for summer wear. I fit in them. That gives me three pairs of summer pants to mix and match.

Tomorrow's mom day event will be a bike ride - my pick. DH and I retrieved my newly repaired bike - new gears, new seat ( what a difference), new tires. We have a bike path that was built on top of an old railroad track that goes through isolated farm ground. It should be beautiful.

bethfromdayton: Super congrats for buying some clothes that fit. For years I punished myself by wearing jeans that were too tight and unbecoming.

nationalparker: Boy do I know that tricky mind song and dance" I need to fuel up." That is my old skiing trick. I have yet to find a foolproof abstinent way through work crazy. I have had some success with telling myself I kind eat what ever I want the next day. Or actually leaving for lunch and taking a walk.

BBE: Thinking about La Boheme in 1968. Maybe a heroin overdoe to mimic consumption.

love2garden: Condolences on the loss of your friend. I have had friends now for over 30 years. Those people who "knew you when" became rare and more precious with each passing year.

Last edited by maryann; 05-09-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #72  
Green Tomatoes

One of my response cards helped me yesterday. I had a desire to eat in a location where the choice in the past would have been something from the bakery. But I remembered my response card that says "I don't eat commercial baked goods" and why. So, I didn't. In fact, I didn't eat anything more than what I planned since I wasn't going to eat the first thing I thought of. CREDIT!

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +30 275/1300 minutes for May, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: It seems odd that the concept of a coach or buddy is missing from the blue book since that's one thing that set the Beck approach apart from others. The most I've found so far is on page 43, with a suggestion for writing response cards: "If you get stuck and can't create a compelling response, ask a friend or fellow dieters on an online forum for help."
Old 05-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #73  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Decided to get out on a couple of quick errands this morning after up and brief amount of work - alterations shop and Kohls. Picked up lunch from the cajun spot and ate my full portion. I'd not had breakfast and stopped midway through and while I cannot say that I was still hungry, I am not completely full now. I should have added more water to my lunch. But I'm not calling it a fail of a day for that. I have to run out to the market for a few things and am going to run in a few minutes before the next wave of stuff comes flowing in to handle. Didn't get enough sleep ... so that silly "I deserve this" line goes through my head. Bought two pair of spanx-type products at Kohls which will open my wardrobe up a bit I hope. I'm back to the thigh rub stage and oh good grief how I hate that. That's on my card to look forward to getting rid of. Weight still at ticker. Not working hard enough.Thinking of your line, OneByOne - all hat, no cattle. That's been me this month.

Bill - No, no panic allowed in trip prep. What's meant to happen on the trip, will happen. Have a great pair of walking shoes? I always look too casual over there and I hate that on one level, but am thankful that I can walk all over, on the other hand.

Need to set a goal since I'm floundering here. Next Saturday weigh in to be under 168. Not aiming too high but not really getting it done here so ... step by step...

Aiming to post again of a successful food day before wrapping up work tonight.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #74  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default sitting down - day 9

A few slips today but nothing major.

My big news is that I've just woken from an afternoon sleep of an hour or so. In front of the fire because the weather's a bit miserable. A much needed sleep as I've not had enough all week and have been under stress and strain too. I'm feeling a little better and the household feels fairly calm.

karenrn, definitely credit for continued exercise!

spanky, good to hear 'xerox' again. My dad used to say it, back when photocopiers were very rare and we were given roneoed sheets at school, always in purple.

flnu, I loved your sign-off, 'Hunger is not an emergency'. So matter of fact and the kind of thing we say in this group. I may adopt it, especially as I need something to fill the gap left by 'Peace and Love', which I gave up in about 1970. Sorry, rambling as I've just woken up. It reminded me of that. Hope I'm not heading towards being an old bore.

love2garden, I'm so sorry to hear of the death of your friend. It's good the weather is letting you out in the garden.

nationalparker, much sympathy for the long work day. Thank you for reminding me of the signal that eating is over: brushing one's teeth. It's such a good one.

bethFromDayton, credit for buying the capris! And for having a daughter who put you first. A year in London will be wonderful.

Bill, thank you very much indeed for the invitation which has cheered me up a great deal. I'm not sure that I'll be able to make it in person but I'll definitely be there in spirit. Yes, you're having a good time in Roma but no more gelato . It's no longer rare and unusual. (Thanks for the TMI.)

maryann, great to hear about your repaired bike and your purple jeans. Credit!

gardenerjoy, thanks for reminding me that I don't eat commercial baked goods either. Would you share why you don't? I don't because I don't know what's in them, and I suspect it's often ingredients which are counter-productive to my health. They also often taste dreadful or less than excellent. Nowadays, I have some difficulty with those cakes which are baked in cafes which really know what they're doing and which turn out things which could be 'rare and unusual', to borrow Bill's phrase.

Almost tea-time. The SO is making sausages, lentils & spinach, cauliflower and something else - possibly potatoes. I plan to eat two sausages unless they are small, in which case I'll eat three. One small potato perhaps. Lentils, spinach, cauli obviously - they'll cover most of my plate. Glass of water. #SaturdayNight I hope yours is as good.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:37 PM   #75  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all.

I'm coming down with a cold--or I've come down with it already and I'm pretending I'm not.

Today was a day with food challenges--and credit--I conquered them ALL.

We were out shopping and had lunch out. I made a good choice of a half size spinach salad with chicken, and barely ate any of the on the side vinaigrette. Even a week ago, we would have stopped for ice cream. I didn't suggest it.

We didn't manage dinner before heading to a party. We stopped at the store and bought our contributions--cheese, summer sausage, and crackers. That, and veggies from the veggie tray were my dinner. I put a small amount on a plate, sat down at a table, and ate it. I didn't manage much mindfulness, with all the conversation going on, but I didn't have seconds. I didn't have any of the yummies (which I won't list here), but some were homemade--and I passed.

So, even with a meal out I couldn't predict and faced with choices at the party, I made really good choices and stayed in my salary range. I'm really pleased with myself (even if DD and I lost at euchre--5 games to 1!)

I've logged everything in MFP, I read my ARC before heading to the party--I think it really made a difference in my resolve. I also think that changing up my ARC made a difference. When I start feeling as if it's "rote", I'm going to just make a new one--it might have many of the same things on it, but in different order, with different wording, so it doesn't become too familiar to sink in.

Take care all,

--Beth
Closed Thread