Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 12:03 AM   #16  
persist

S/C/G: 298/284/159

Height: 5' 6"

Default print day in may today

Coaches

Spent the day refreshing my soul. I carved and printed two blocks and did experiments along the way. Felt very satisfied when I left and I look forward to my return.

Foodwise, the day was filled with meat. Odd that. Counted everything. Came up short in all categories. But still a good printing day... Lol!

DH out with work buddies to watch boxing. So happy not to be there. Yay for that!

Bye for now.

PS. Attached an experimental T-shirt made today. I carved the manatee on hideous experimental "lino" (blech) then made this T-shirt by inking the block, putting it face down on shirt, then rolling a rolling pin over it several times. Not solid black but maybe good enough. Ink says to dry ONE WEEK!then wash as normal. Always something weird to deal with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150502_183157.jpg (21.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-03-2015, 05:44 AM   #17  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - World Press Freedom Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Good enough eating day, CREDIT moi, bumped upward by an unwanted eating occasion at 2:30 in the afternoon. The memorial service of a friend culminated in a huge spread of food. It was too late for lunch and too early for dinner. I took a small plate; wandered the whole room while chatting with friends; then selected some stuff that was rare or unusual enough to justify as a large afternoon snack. E.g., I've never had a spread make from sardines and anchovies both. I put that on a thin slice of the bread that the deceased was known to like to bake. I finally found a salad to fill the plate to stop my eyeballing the rest of the food. Oh, Well.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included an evening visit to the pharmacy for an errand that could have been done anytime. The young adults were streaming out of the local liquor store with six packs of premium beers on their way to start their evenings as I was on my way to end mine. The book store was closed so I didn't have an excuse to stop walking.

onebyone – Yay for a day refreshing your soul. I'm a manatee fan, so I especially like your happy guy with the Van Gogh swirls over his head.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I get really annoyed at that part of me that's willing to overeat bland foods. I'd feel better about myself if my extra pounds had accumulated from caviar than from cheese and crackers.

silverbirch – Yep, Extra Kudos for remembering to sit down even though "cold, wet and miserable."

spanky - Using Reese's Pieces to control eating those cupcakes is just the best idea ever, Kudos.

nationalparker – Thanks for the bespoke quote about Kate Middleton's dress. Kudos for buying the clothes that you need to survive working. I continue to be impressed that you are able to leave food at a restaurant.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It

For Brenda to keep making progress, I knew it was important for her to stop doubting herself. You might need to do so, too. Now five weeks into this program, you might be at the point most dieters eventually reach - the point where you question whether or not you can keep losing weight. At some point, you might say to yourself, This is just a fluke ... I'll wake up tomorrow and I'll have gained it all back ... I'm no different from how I was the last time I tried to diet.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 239.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:25 AM   #18  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Food has been generally very good! I resisted all sweet treats when over the hill on Thursday and I've been eating simple as my current distraction is yard work. I have had 3 Greek salads as my main meal since Wednesday. (All from restaurants). I sometimes just get it in my mind that something sounds "really good" and if it's a healthy choice I have no problem continuing until I get tired of it. Scale has been stable, although I'm still up from my ticker weight. I'm ok with that right now. I'm giving myself lots of credit for taking on lots by myself and my current word is "empowerment". I walk out the door every morning and tell myself, "Yes, you can do this". DH leaves for Alaska one week from Wednesday and I am feeling a little stress as the pup with congestive heart failure had a bad day this week. As I was inventorying his medications I think I forgot his big dose of pills the morning we traveled. He's better today-that may have been the cause. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

BBE, hmm I've never had a sardine/anchovy spread, either. Was it good. Yay for salad to fill a plate helping you to stop eyeballing the spread.

Onebyone, yay for refreshing your soul! I love your shirt and the notion of making it with a rolling pin. If I need a tool to complete a job I often look to my kitchen.

nationalparker, I second BBE's comment on sabotaging thoughts. Kudos for heading to Kohls to deal with clothing/shoes before your event. The moon was beautiful. I hope you enjoyed your walk.

spanky, great idea cooking a treat with an ingredient you despise! Kudos for your 3# loss.

silverbirch, it's always great to see you! My life is still scrambled, too. Oh, well. Congratulations on the birth of a Princess!

gardenerjoy, such interesting observations! Thanks for sharing them.

maryann, I love vitamixing as a verb. Me, too. Congratulations on receiving such a wonderful award! I have the very strong belief that the only thing I can do to change the world (and all it's chaos) is to focus on positive action right at home.

karenrn, yay for continued walks/hikes! Enjoy your clean pool!

curlyjax, keep trying keep posting! Loved reading about the conch shell….times have changed since we stowed a giant clam shell in a duffel bag under our seat when we returned from Hawaii. It was so heavy..lol

OK, I am off to do household chores so I can get to my yard today. I spent 7 hours outside yesterday and made great progress.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #19  
in development

Default sitting down - day 3

Day 2 did get better.

Day 3 is 100% so far. At work, with sandwiches, away from most sources of stress and strain. Work is very soothing: writing some architectural case studies. And, Blackpool Tower, built in 1894, has

Quote:
bespoke Burmantofts terracotta glazed panels and magnificent designs by Frank Matcham.
It's everywhere!

Thank you for your support in cracking this sitting down lark. I am starting to feel that it will help me enormously (which it certainly did before). Jamming food into my mouth when I'm already under pressure just gives me a tummy ache.

Best wishes to all.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #20  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Ambitious plans for today after a rare sleep in morning. When I'm very tired, I always say I'm sleeping until 10 or noon, whatever, and I've never done that, and DH replies, as always, Ok, 8:30 instead of 7:30? But I didn't get to bed until close to 2 a.m. which is entirely TOO late for me. Today I plan to weed and have asked DH's help with mulching. I find it MUCH easier to just keep on weeding if he can come behind me and lay mulch. He's "in" and we have a patch that needs weeded/sodded. Mowing on the agenda as well as picking up a few odds and ends.

Lexxiss - I like your empowerment line. I keep thinking, "I got this!" because I need to get the negativity out of my mind on this long road event. I am building it up to something so overwhelming and basically either it gets done perfectly or we make do and it still goes on.

Bill - Kudos to you for seemingly always being able to eyeball a spread, choose wisely, and leave so, so much of it. I'm able to do that when I don't like anything (!) but that doesn't involve any willpower, just pickiness ha ha! But your spreads sound like they typically involve the unique and tasty.

OneByOne - Kudos for a day spent restoring your soul and it sounds like feeding your soul enabled you to feed your body in modest amounts. I need to keep that in mind!

Goal - eat wisely, nutritionally and in my calorie range today. Bruschetta is on the menu for lunch, but need a fresh baguette. I will post tonight of a day finally all on plan. Walk was beautiful under the moon on a chillier night than I thought.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #21  
Green Tomatoes

I earned my sticker for three days in a row of practicing the first two Foundation Strategies in The Diet Trap Solution -- reading the advantages list and eating seated & slowly. Level up! At Level 3, I'll add "give myself credit throughout the day." Already, today, I deserve credit for not eating during a trip to the grocery store (and for making the trip in the morning when I know that will be easier for me) and for reading my advantages and responses.

I'm going to allow reading back into meal times now that I'm back in the habit of tasting my food, but I'm going to continue to eat snacks distraction-free. It was an important insight for me to realize that snacks become much less interesting if I don't read while eating them.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +30 70/1300 minutes for May, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: love the manatee shirt!

Lexxiss and nationalparker: I also find "I got this" useful as a self-talk phrase.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:03 AM   #22  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - Star Wars Day - Bird Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The warblers were out for our morning bird walk, CREDIT moi. The Black-and-white Warbler was the most fun to see followed by the expected arrivals: Yellow Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, and Palm Warbler. Both Baltimore Orioles and Orchard Orioles were building nests. That means that bugs are out and trees blossoming. Spring is here.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. I had a morning snack that I didn't need from an overflowing hospitality table, but I keep it on my plan so that I can make one choice instead of grabbing one each of everything. I avoided the cheeses, and half-dozen types of bagels. Got the opportunity to take a micro walk in the evening when DW discovered that her menu plan for omelets was threatened by lack of eggs. Not a problem: I walked to the corner store where I bought a dozen cage-free eggs. There I learned that on May 3, 1937, Margaret Mitchell won a Pulitzer Prize for . . . Gone With the Wind. Many thanks Margaret for "Tomorrow is another day."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It is interesting that snacks lose their appeal without reading to accompany them.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Glad that the pup is doing better. I, too, cheer your word, "empowerment." Kudos for "eating simple." [The sardine/anchovy spread seemed to have only token anchovies; I'd have liked more. We made sardine sandwiches when I was a kid: just sardines and gobs of mayonnaise. These days, I take my sardines straight.]

silverbirch – Congrats for having work that is soothing. Kudos for continuing to work the sitting down skill. (In a short clip about Mr. Selfridge, a British show on Public Television, the actress gushed that her wedding dress "was bespoken" - my first time to hear 'bespoken' spoken.)

nationalparker – Yay for sleep and a walk under the moon.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It

But you are different. You now have critical skills that you didn't have in the past, and you've learned how to use them consistently and successfully. Your weight loss is not a fluke. Your progress won't disappear as long as you continue to use your tools.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 239.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #23  
persist

S/C/G: 298/284/159

Angry perfect example

Coaches

I can't believe that after so many years of trying to lose weight I still do the obvious. Wow. It's like in the moment I haven't learned a thing. Wow. Incredible.

So, yesterday I had a busy day. It was the last day of the potters' sale and my turn to be at the sale greeting people, handing them ballots for the doorprize, trying to figure out what sold of mine, etc. I ate a nice breakfast, made by DH, tracked it, put food in my purse for lunch cause I'd be there until 5 and then.... never ate it. And I walked/was on my feet most of the time. And so I came home completely worn out and ravenous and I had to cook dinner and made what I had planned, ingredient-wise, but quantity-wise I should have made half. Actually I DID plan it all including the amount I would have and then DH tripped me up cause he had less than half for the first time ever, and so I compensated for his less than half by having more than half and I way overate.

NOTE TO SELF: implement your NO SECONDS rule. that would have solved this.

I ate because I was exhausted. I ate because I knew I was very very hungry and so could "afford" to eat a lot as in it won't really bump my weight up. I DID NOT think Oh! Opportunity! Eat a normal amount and you will probably lose some weight this week. No I thought Oh Good! You've created a calorie deficit so you can now fill it right up to the top and thensome!

So the other basic Beck rule violated here was Hunger is Not an Emergency. It sure felt like an emergency and like I needed to put those feeling out! Stomp them out!

So Coaches, this morning the scale moved up 2lbs. I am kicking myself that it could have been down. Will I ever learn? Will I ever lose any weight at all? How the heck do I actually do that? All I can do is keep trying and do better and adjust and re-adjust.

Thanks for listening.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #24  
in development

Default sitting down - day 4

Dear Coaches

So far, so good.

I made myself sandwiches today and considered eating the crust of the loaf whilst standing up. (The SO makes our bread and I love the crust.) I decided against it, and put it in my lunch box for later. Very good idea! It made my lunch that much nicer.

I've been called home from work but I'm not going to let that put me off course.

Good luck with your Monday.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:34 AM   #25  

Morning everyone
Trying to shake off the last of my cold. I'm attempting aqaufit tonight for the first time in 3 wks. Scale has been steady .
Old 05-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #26  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning,

Sunday went well--no peanut butter cupcakes for me! I did have to dodge a homemade "organic" carrot cake in the afternoon, but it didn't appeal either as I'd eaten the lunch I'd brought.

Last week I logged every calorie and totalled it up for the week. When I did that, I found that my single day of way-off plan eating did not make as much of an impact on the week overall because I got right back on plan the next day. It really does help to get back on track--even after that mistake I had a loss for the week. Just seeing that on my journal page helps make it real to me.

Today's plan is written. For some reason, it's easy to plan lunch and breakfast, but hard to decide so far in advance what I'll want for dinner. But I need to decide and then just eat whatever it is and get over it. Not solidifying the dinner menu gives me too long a leash!

Best to all for a great day today!
Old 05-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #27  
Green Tomatoes

Giving myself credit led to the best eating day I've had in weeks! And, I expect an even better one today because I know the exact things I could have done to earn myself more credit. Woohoo!

Here's a quote from page 30 of The Diet Trap Solution (the blue book) that was new information to me:

Quote:
Giving yourself credit...helps you realize that losing weight isn't a fluke. In the past, when you started to gain weight back, you may have said, "I don't know how I lost weight in the first place," which most likely led to a nosedive in your confidence and decreased your motivation to begin again. On the other hand, if you've consistently recognized and credited yourself for practicing your skills and making good eating choices, you'll be able to say, "I know exactly how I lost weight and what I need to do to start losing again."
WI: NA kg, Exercise: +40 110/1300 minutes for May, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 05-04-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #28  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

It's hard to admit I lost over 50 lbs and gained it all back. I didn't gain more back--so I can give myself credit for that.

Today is my first day back to Beck--I'll start the book at the beginning tonight and write a new advantages card. I had an OP breakfast (and measured the peanut butter) and ate it sitting down. I've recorded today's food in MFP although I haven't planned today's meals. Even though I'll be starting the book over, there are certain behaviors that I intend to start immediately--especially planning--because I know how big of a difference they make.

Looking just through these first few days of May, I see names I know--I'm looking forward to giving and getting support.

Best,

--Beth
Old 05-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 173/170/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

I am so glad to hear from you, BethfromDayton. Let me tell you none of us have been standing on chairs while you have been away. We definitely need you here. This journey toward peace with food is such a long and winding one. I feel humbled as well by having to restart yet again after a tough emotional weekend. I woke up and thought, "Nothing will ever change." Then I acted as if things could change and somehow have been abstinent for 12 hours. I vitamixed my V8; separated my huge bag of spinach into 10 single salad containers; called and apologized to DH for bad behavior; attended mass and dressed for a walk for when DS goes to piano lessons. I reminded myself that 11:30 will come if I don't go off plan. I posted here.

I like the idea of gardenerjoy's stickers.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 05-04-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #30  

Height: 5' 2"

MaryAnn Thank you for teaching those children to read! Reading is a passion for the females in our family and we've learned so much that way. I can't imagine being unable to do so. Keep it up!!!

Beth Welcome back, You've done it before and you'll do it this time too.

Debbie Our weather has been fantastic, more like June than late April and early May. 6 hours or more a day are spent outside. Small subdivision lot that is tightly planted, and requires far more maintenance that I could handle before I retired.

Wish I did as well with forming healthy eating habits as I have with taking care of plants. I'm definitely in trouble, weight wise, up instead of down.

At our favorite restaurant I did bring home 1/2 my lunch, and had ordered a side of steamed veggies that were eaten instead of the rice. Good start that I let slide as I stayed up too late last night watching "The Sting" that we saw decades ago.

I agree with MaryAnn We CAN change how we choose our food and the times we eat. I must remember this is a choice I'm free to take. Sometimes I act as if I'm on auto pilot instead of in charge of my life in so many ways.

Thanks Bill for moving us into May and keeping us going.
Closed Thread