Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 05:32 AM   #211  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning Coaches...

Yesterday got up very early and was in the pool swimming laps by 5am and then out on the trail running by about 6:15am... So HUGE CREDIT for that... since the only time I was ever out even close to that early was when I was training for some sort of race...

Did go to my WW meeting even though I had made the decision to not weigh-in because of the water weight gain from all the carbs and salt from this past weekend... Hopefully with a few days of getting back on track that should resolve itself and at the very least I won't show a gain for this week... My plan is to weigh-in by Saturday morning and I should be fine...

Having some real resistance to writing out my food plan the night before... OR should I say I'm having SOME REAL RESISTANCE to sticking to my food plan... Exercise for me seems to act as an appetite suppressant for several hours, but then I'm ravanous... Which is exactly what happened yesterday... I'm pretty sure I cancelled out any deficit by the end of dinner... Oh, well at least I'm getting back in shape again, right?

I will say this... The one thing I am really enjoying about the BDS so far is really seeing where I need to "do the work" so to speak if I want to keep the weight off...
Old 05-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #212  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm thinking about what my Foundation Strategies really are, since The Diet Trap Solution only kinda captured them. This is what the blue book has:

1. Read my list of advantages of losing weight
2. Eat slowly while seated
3. Give myself credit during the day
4. Read my response cards (tips, tricks, and talk-backs to sabotaging thoughts)
5. Weigh Daily
6. Build "resistance muscle"
7. Manage hunger and cravings
8. Eat according to a schedule
9. Eat according to a plan
10. Capture "worth-it memories"

Mine are more like this:

Every day, I...

1. weigh myself
2. read my advantages, responses, and "worth-it" memories
3. check in with my coaches
4. eat slowly while seated
5. give myself credit
6. eat according to a schedule
7. eat according to a plan
8. plan my eating for tomorrow

WI: -0.45 kg, Exercise: +40 1090/1300 minutes for May, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

curlyjax: good for you for finding a different path through emotional upset besides eating! I was also surprised that "coaches" didn't show up in the blue book. I think we're all proving today just how important they are!

Welcome, dsha123! We'd love to have you join us. Which book are you reading? How are you finding it so far? We're a confusing bunch for a while (starting in here is a bit like watching a soap opera for the first time, jumping in to the middle of all the story lines). Give it time and we'll start to make more sense.

maryann: so sorry for the back pain -- that really does effect every thing at nearly every moment. I hope you find some relief with the doctor!

TripSwitch: an early swim and hike sounds fantastic! If you're not hungry, but then ravenous, perhaps you want to find some kind of post-workout regime that you take almost like medicine?
Old 05-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #213  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Welcome Dsha123.

TripSwitch: I weighed this and was your your ticker twin. I bet if I saw you on the street I would think "What a nice looking woman." I bet you would think the same about me. A number is just information. And speaking of numbers - my relationship between weight loss and exercise is almost spiritual. This is because there is NO connection between how much I work out and the number on the scale. So I have to have FAITH that there is a positive and critical relationship between exercise and eating healthy and I have to BELIEVE that the healthy benefits of exercise while holistically add to my gaining peace with food.
gardenerjoy: Loved reading your list this morning. It was a quick review of my priorities for today if I am going to get back on track.
onebyone: Credit for the decluttering process which added to a successful visit with your sister.
nationalparker: Supercredit for still keeping your head about food until you get to go home again.

As for me, I have a late start at work because I have my dr.'s appt. this morning. Can't wait to get off medicine and get my mutinous body back.

Last edited by maryann; 05-27-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #214  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Still no alcohol (holy moly I think today is day 13), and no sweets. Stayed within my calories yesterday, credit. Just got back from my 7 1/2 mile hike with my backpack, but only 13 1/2 pounds in it, credit. I use a luggage scale and will plan to increase the weight each week. My plan is to do 2 hikes a week with the backpack and any others without. I left the trailhead at 5:15 this morning to beat the heat. I didn't beat the pesky little bugs though and didn't have any insect repellent on. Just to let you know, I'm going to the gym this afternoon to do some upper body stuff. I'll use the machines rather than the free weights to begin with. I still don't trust my right arm to put much weight over my head and the machines will ensure I don't drop anything on my head or anywhere else.

Onebyone Glad you're having a successful visit with your sister and Mom.

Maryann i hope your back pain is better soon. It's difficult enough without a monkey wrench being thrown in to the mix.

Nationalparker Thank goodness today is the last day. I'd say you need to catch up on some sleep.

TripSwitch Good for you for going to WW even though you didn't weigh in. It's probably a good reset and some motivation anyway.

GardenerJoy Yes, thank you for the lists. I figure I do your plan but I do consider when I'm building my resistance muscle and I don't plan my food until the morning. It is working at least for now.

Curlyjax Good for you for resisting emotional eating. I didn't even realize what an emotional eater I was until I was strictly following a plan.

Well time to get cleaned up for the rest of the day.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #215  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Thanks everyone for all the encouraging words here...

And gardenerjoy ... I do need to start thinking again about what to do after running... the days of just grabbing coffee and bagel are just a fond memory now... Lol...

Thanks maryann ... I definitely have some "issues" to work on when it comes to the numbers on the scale... I still hold on to wanting to weigh what I did almost 20 years ago... which I'm not so sure fits in with the BDS Day 10 "Set A Realistic Goal"...

karenrn ... I'm determined to get my money's worth from WW this time... Lol... and I thought I'd beat those pesky little bugs yesterday morning too, since it wasn't even 6:30 am when I went for my run... But I got eaten alive... So time for me to pick up bug spray...
Old 05-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #216  

Height: 5' 2"

Does anyone know a way to keep those pesky bugs away without putting chemicals on our skin?

I have bites all over from walking early and weeding late. Proud of what I've done however.

CREDIT: Extra walking and gradually increasing time of activity.

Supper was lots of steamed broccoli, nuts, whole grain cereal blueberries and skim milk. By eating this late, hopefully I'll not be hungry when I stay up to watche NBA Houston vs Golden State Warriors and am pulling for Houston but like several players for the Warriors, too.

MaryAnn Sure hope you find a solution for back pain that doesn't hurt your health.

NationalParker The end of this @*&%# trip is close to over. It will take you a week to get sleep and nerves back to normal.

Missing Bill, but bet he is having fun.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #217  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
fell off the wagon a bit today with some cookies that weren't planned. we went to buy dinner from the grocery store and indulged in some gourmet cookies. I did eat a lot of veggies and no grain for dinner so hopefully it will all even out.
I am going to make my salad for the next two day lunches and refrain from sweets tomorrow. Baby steps!
DH has had a few job interviews but nothing offered yet. He's starting to go a little crazy being home all the time so he's doing some home projects. Crossing my fingers something happens soon!!

love2garden- for bugs-i have heard Avon skin-so-soft, Skintastic, and a product called Crocodile bug repellent can work, and they are all feet free. I think i used the last one years ago and it did work somewhat, but you had to keep re-applying it. I should try it again- its probably online only.
Maryann- hope your back is feeling better! That is very debilitating.
Lexiss- thanks for the description of your yard, really interesting! today we went to look at some bricks since we need to replace the crumbling walkway. After that we can work outwards onto the lawn. Will probably take all summer!
Welcome to Dsha 123 and waving to all!

Last edited by curlyjax; 05-27-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #218  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post one more full day

Coaches

So today was a lot of walking at the mall and three light meals. Credit. I am super focused on reaching that 270 mark and then going below it. Sure hope it happens in the morning but you can't count on this. The body does what it does in its own time. I stay on plan no matter what.

My sister and I have been agreeing on how my mother is doing. Unfortunately how my mother is isn't great, but it could be worse. Today I realized that she needs assistance in every single area of her life. There isn't anything she does in a day that doesn't require help. I find that an overwhelming thought. And I wonder what happens to all those people who do not have a place to go to like my mother did. Or those who don't have children or advocates on their behalf. She is truly vulnerable. It's hard to truly feel these feelings but I am managing and I am not eating over it.

*credit for staying the course, planning, tracking, and checking in here.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:13 PM   #219  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I just had to do a super quick post. Event is OVER. I'm still working the wrapup with the media, but stress level is diminishing as the hours past. Short day today - but it's creeping past 12 hours here. Food is just ALL over the place - and that is true on both accounts. Baskets of really, really good potato chips all over, single-serve bags. I had part of one today, but credit for not all. No dinner tonight. I just remembered that I had a kashi bar in my bag so eating that now - but it's the earliest I could have eaten, anyway. Have a pkg of 100 cal almonds at the room to eat as well.

JOY! Will sleep the peaceful sleep of knowing that I shouldn't be receiving email requests throughout the night.

Will see what the scale tells of this trip in a day or two... keeping fingers crossed. Back to personals when I get back.

And as the old Irish proverb goes, "A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book." Ready for both.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #220  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

nationalparker, super kudos for your mindfulness around food during such an intense event. Safe travels and a joyful reunion with DH and furries!

onebyone, yay for OP, posting and giving yourself credit. Enjoy your sister time. My sis eats healthy and its so nice to spend time with her not worrying about foods.

curlyjax, hope it all evens out and credit for going healthy and light at dinner. Keeping my fingers crossed for your DH.

love2garden, yay for walking early and weeding late. I love this time of year, and fortunately here, we don't have many bugs. I don't envy your bugs. They all bite me like crazy.

TripSwitch, good for you thinking about Set A Realistic Goal. Your answer will come.

karenrn, kudos for hitting the trail so early to avoid the heat. I hope your gym time went well!

maryann, thanks for sharing on spiritual weightloss. So true for me, too. I hope you are able to get off the medication.

gardenerjoy, thanks for taking the time to share both your Foundation Strategies and that of the BlueBook. I like your commitment to read your worth it memories every day. Credit.

Yesterday was super busy as I got some work accomplished in the yard both before and after taking my mom to Denver for medical appointments. I had to make several spontaneous food decisions yesterday and noticed just how engrained my Beck skills are in my head (not that I always use them.) I reminded myself hunger was not an emergency and got through the all the shopping before having lunch. Credit. Lunch was late and I worked in the yard until 815pm. I was tempted to skip dinner and reminded myself to stick to my plan. I enjoyed my light supper, even though late, and I know I felt better this morning. Another day in the yard. I have picked up in my home. I have a food plan. Credit.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #221  

Height: 5'5

Good morning!
So I'm into the book (TRAIN YOUR BRAIN TO THINK LIKE A THIN PERSON) and liking it. I did my Advantage Card and will read it! The 2 diets is an interesting one..I guess we have to follow a specific diet? Or can it just be cut calories and eat better? I'm good with counting calories on myfitnesspal. I guess that's a diet then! Ha! Next day is sitting while eating. I'm pretty ok with that one, except for the parties and occasional free sample. That will be interesting! What do you guys do for diet coaches? Did you see a professional or ask a friend? Thanks! Oh..I'm scared to weigh myself..as whenever I do, I get very down and it spirals me....can I do this for a little while then do that?
Old 05-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #222  
Green Tomatoes

I never fully made a plan yesterday -- and demonstrated to myself (yet again) that I do much better when I have a plan! I have one written for today -- CREDIT!

WI: +0.15 kg, Exercise: +40 1130/1300 minutes for May, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: I'm so impressed with how often you posted during your trip. I hope it helped! What a busy time you've had! I hope you get some down time in the next few days to relax and regroup.

love2garden: you might try your local farmers markets and look at the soap and lotion booths. Around here everyone has some pest formula with a variety of essential oils. They all seem to work reasonably well for gardening and walking. I wouldn't depend on them for a hike in the Everglades, probably, but I like them for short bursts of time outdoors.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #223  
Green Tomatoes

dsha123: many of us use "counting calories" as either our main plan or our back-up one. So, you're right on track!

This group is my "diet coach" -- that's why it's so important for me to post every day.

Over time, weighing every day becomes much less of an emotional ordeal. When you decide the time is right, we'll be here to support you. One advantage of weighing when you're sure that the number is going to be high is that you get all the satisfaction of watching it drop!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #224  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Just a short post. Food on plan and within calories yesterday, credit. Time at the gym was worthwhile to use their machines to safely work the arms. Hiked Bell Pass this morning, no pack, best time yet. Felt terrific. I think it was having enough carbs and being well hydrated. Hard to know since each day is different.

DSHA123 You don't have to find a coach because we act as each others coaches. We report in to each other how we are doing. Doesn't that make it easy? If you have a question, one of the others has probably had the same one and may have an answer.

I was hoping to receive a new book yesterday, a weight lifting book that I keep thinking will change how I look just by reading it. Not here yet, I'll have to check on that. Have a good day everybody!
Old 05-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #225  

Height: 5'5

Hey guys,

Thanks! It all seems a little overwhelming right now, but I will get into the flow soon enough! I need to get off this carousel of gain/lose/gain..and hating myself. I've been pretty sick so I'm hoping I get over it soon! I want to pick up my weights again starting next week. I guess I'm in the 2 weeks prep time right now. Its a good idea! Chat soon.
Closed Thread