Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #91  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A good eating day, CREDIT moi, that included skipping my morning snack because I was busy - a good reminder that eating can be replaced by activity, duh! That shouldn't have been a surprise because when I first started, I chose to go the gym right after work to replace my "appetizer time" - a euphemism for an hour of cheese and crackers.

One walk, CREDIT moi, was to verify that we really do keep a local ocean. Walked around Deer Island, one of the Boston Harbor islands, that is conveniently connected by a bridge. Felt the constant ocean breeze with the smell of salt. Commercial airplanes were landing at Logan Airport at a steady one per minute. The beaches were empty except for Herring Gulls. Saw a Common Loon and a Cormorant on the water; in a small park we encountered at least eight Mockingbirds as the only song birds. I've never seen an exclusive Mockingbird area before. A group of them seemed to follow us to let us know that we were in their space. For an irrational moment I thought of the line in the early part of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds, "They're only birds."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – So sane to accept and move forward, "I might as well acknowledge my not wanting to cook and plan for it."

FutureFitChick"fine, stayed on plan" sounds good to me.

maryann - Kudos for recognizing that you could solve an impossible, binge-worthy problem with an affordable chunk of money then going forward. Yay for choosing a wise DH.

TeachMe - Thanks for the reminder that "buying Halloween candy mid-October began a sugar-fest that didn't stop till Valentine's Day" - although mine continued, seamlessly, until the after-Easter candy sales were exhausted. Wonderful thought that you are enjoying the challenge of planning for your three upcoming events. [Glad you like the Beck exerts.]

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 7 Stage 4 The Think Thin Lifetime Eating Plan

Change Your General Plan

You may need to modify your general plan when certain life circumstances arise, or when your weigh plateaus. Use these guidelines:
. . .

When your weight plateaus, you should sit tight for several weeks and see what happens. Some people start to lose weight again, even when they keep their calorie and exercise levels constant. If your weight doesn't budge, go back to measuring your intake. If you have been calculating correctly, you can move down to the next lower-calorie level if you are not already at 1,600 calories and if you think you can sustain this reduction indefinitely. If you are already at 1,600 calories and need to lose more weight because you have a healthy problem, please arrange for a professional consultation to find out how to safely and nutritiously eat 1,400 calories a day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 182.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #92  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning coaches,
Yesterday was a very busy stressful day with me helping out at school in the morning and that went right up until I had a meeting at work. I had a great breakfast but no lunch and the meeting at work was a pot luck....yikes.
I was hungry when I got there and felt very overwhelmed as I had not had a lunch and there were so many treats there. I brought fresh fruit. As I was feeling overwhelmed I went to get a glass of water as I was feeling oh well it is only one day that I won't follow my plan, then I realized that I said, "one day." Then I thought to myself why one day not just one meal. As I was sitting thinking about this a woman I work with came in and she has lost over 80 pounds and I asked her what she was eating. She decided it was going to be a write off day so it didn't much matter what she ate. As I drank my water and thought about this my hunger seemed to disappear. Once I was no longer hungry I was able to make wise choices. This was so great for me because I can't remember ever doing that. It felt very empowering to me. I still can't believe I changed from being oh well it is a day off plan to remaining on plan with all the wonderful smelling food there. Thank you to all of you for helping me realize it is okay to be human and that the all or nothing mentality doesn't work well for me.
Today I have a much slower paced day. I like those kind of days as I have more time to make good choices.
OOPs everyone is waking up so I am off to make breakfast,
I will try to get back for personals
Have a wonderful day everyone,
Take Care
Ann
I find it so funny how I can be so overwhelmed about some things when I am rushed or when I feel so out of control. All those daily struggles we call life.
It is also when those sabotaging thoughts creep in.
Have a wonderful day.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #93  
Green Tomatoes

I never made a plan yesterday, food or otherwise. That makes for a strange day. I kind of feel like if it didn't get crossed off a list, then nothing happened. It was a reasonably productive day -- list or not list. And I ate reasonably well.

I passed the halfway point for exercise before reaching the halfway point of the month -- big credit for that.

WI: NA kgs, Exercise: +40 710/1400 minutes for September, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: thanks for checking that the ocean was still there. LOL at "They're only birds."

Newlifestyle: Your potluck is a terrific story to demonstrate how getting rid of the all or nothing mentality makes a whole world of possibilities open up.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #94  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

From today's reading:

Change Your General Plan

You may need to modify your general plan when certain life circumstances arise, or when your weigh plateaus.

I'm thinking on this and yesterday's acceptance of a "freezer meal" as OP was a start. I am going to do this again tonight.

Certain life circumstances have risen. My DH and the pup are spending lots of time away as DH still works on his recovery. I talk w/DH all the time but fact is, I miss my pup so much. (tears) I've never been a week without a dog in 35 years and this year it has been multiples of weeks. It started back in Feb. when I started the floor project...then 2 weeks in Alaska...then DH got hurt the end of May. My lil guy has separation anxiety from his past life and can't stay with me because he can't be at home by himself while I'm at work. So every time DH goes, he goes, too.

I'm tired, lonely and somewhat stressed. The seasons are changing really fast here and I am really feeling the lack of a summer. I dont think I put 25 miles on my bike after DH got hurt. Like the joy of not eating a candy bar, there isn't anywhere in my "real life" to express this. It just makes my SO's upset which doesn't help anything. Acknowledgement/Acceptance is the key for me today.

Anyway, all of this IS affecting my food choices AND my desire/energy to be preparing everything from scratch. Yesterday I chose a Vegan Mac/Cheese (Amy's) and a vegetarian enchilada dinner by M-Star. It will be nice to try these AND it is certainly a far cry from Banquet Fried Chx dinners (Hearty Man) or something of the sort. That was in MY old life.

I was going to stay home today but mom invited me to her social group. It's a lunch buffet and the theme this month is Salad. I'm going to make my healthy organic green salad and I'm sure there's something else which will fit my plan.

It is a good day to go out and do something. I'm going to go get my hair washed/styled and I'm going to go on my bike. I'll also ride my bike to the "event." I CAN TRY FOR THE 25th mile today. credit.

Thx for being here everyone! You are all the best!

PS Pic of "Bing" the dysfunctional but much loved pup...rescued in Oct. 09..two weeks after Lexxiss passed on. Pic taken with his sad face the day we left for Alaska...he knew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alaska and knitting 6-12 002 (640x480).jpg (25.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Lexxiss; 09-14-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #95  
newlifestyle

Hello coaches,
I am back for a few minutes. I have my grocery shopping done, went out for a healthy breakfast and we be walking in a few minutes.

Bill, I find the birds that are near the water freak me out. The seagulls seem aggressive. I need to get more in touch with nature to come to the realization, they are only birds.....yikes.

Gardenjoy, credit for all the exercise you have done. Thanks for helping make my sabotaging thoughts into rational thoughts. I hope you know what I mean. I appreciate it. You can put into words how I am feeling.

Debbie, your pup is adorable. It makes me want to hug him.

Does anyone know how many calories an 1/8 of a pumpkin cheesecake (bob evans) would be. I want a slice and I am willing to do the extra exercise to have one, but not until I find out how many calories I will need to burn.

Hello to everyone and have a great day.
Take Care
Ann
Old 09-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #96  
Green Tomatoes

Newlifestyle: Bob Evans doesn't have that dessert on their website -- maybe because it's a seasonal item. The Cheesecake Factory says a serving of their pumpkin cheesecake is over 700 calories. I don't imagine Bob Evans would be any better. I'd pretty much have to eat that instead of my lunch and then do extra exercise, too. Which isn't a deal breaker, necessarily. Although, most of the time, I'd choose a different option.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #97  
newlifestyle

Thank you Joy, after walking I have a clear mind and realize I don't really want the cheesecake. I appreciate you looking for it for me.
Have a great day and I will choose a different option.
Ann
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon,

Quick Checkin. I mailed my packet at noon, grocery shopped and spent some time in service work to a couple of women in AA. These are all important credit events. I will take, I know it, but I don't FEEL it. Good thing I learned awhile ago that if I have to wait to catch up to my feelings before I act, none of the biggest blessings I have today would be in my life - sobriety, DH, DS, loss of 50 pound, ect. . . .

Food OP and credit 20 mins on stair master. Dinner is easy veggies, spaghetti with homemade sauce.

More tom.

Last edited by maryann; 09-14-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:01 AM   #99  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Five Years and Counting

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating on plan included dinner at a neat restaurant, CREDIT moi. Dinner was offered as prix fixe either for five or eight courses - the whole table had to select the five or eight. If you picked eight, the chef chose them all. If you picked five, you chose three dishes and the chef chose two. All dishes were delightfully seasoned and appropriately small. Left feeling satisfied, but not stuffed or full. Wish more restaurants were like that.

At gym, CREDIT moi, I considered shuffling an errant pair of 100 pound dumbbells to their proper location even though I had already lifted until I couldn't do another round. When I realized that wasn’t a good idea, I said out loud, "I'm mad." Three men joined me to laugh about that. One offered, "There is a pleasure sure, in being mad, that none but madmen know!" (The Spanish Friar, John Dryden.) Esoteric gym, no less.

Today's the day I tick my monthly counters (CREDIT moi) - special because exactly five years ago I made my first post in the Beck forum of 3FC (then the Beck thread). Heartfelt thanks to each of you who've contributed to my journey as Buddy and Coach throughout those years.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, Big Kudos indeed for being ahead in your exercising for September.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Waving at soulful Bing (who presumably has eyes). Kudos for acknowledging "tired, lonely and somewhat stressed" so you can deal with it.

maryann - Such a wonderful thought that we needn't wait for our feelings to catch up before we act. Kudos for your stellar string of credits for the day.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Thanks for walking us through the process of beating the "all or nothing mentality" - Kudos for remaining on plan despite the tempting smells. Yay for pumpkin cheesecake considered and rejected.

Readers -
Quote:

Decide When to Move Into Maintenance

You will know that you are ready for maintenance when:
  • You reach your goal weight.
OR
  • You get to the 1,600-calorie level and (barring a health problem) your weight plateaus for a long time.
OR
  • You get to one of the higher-calorie levels; your weight plateaus, and you don't want to cut your calories or increase your exercise; or you don't think you can sustain a lower calorie intake for the long term.
Many dieters never get to the 1600-calorie level. They decide that the challenges involved with further restricting their eating are not worth the small amount of additional weight they might lose.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 182.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #100  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday was our first cool, cloudy, feeling-like-fall, sort of day. For some reason, it took me by surprise and I wasn't prepared for a response to the inclination to consume carbs and fat as if I were getting ready for hibernation. But now I have a response for the rest of the season: I am not a bear. I can enjoy and appreciate the fruits of the harvest without overeating.

One place I can put some of that energy is into being more squirrel like. I enjoy making and freezing applesauce and winter squash puree. I get a kick out of shopping for locally preserved products at the Farmers Markets to keep in my pantry. I feel good about being stocked up on anything that isn't perishable.

WI: NA kgs, Exercise: +0 710/1400 minutes for September, Food: 70% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Lexxiss: love the photo of Bing! Good for you for working out ways to bike and to eat well socially.

Newlifestyle: glad I could help! It sounds like you made a good choice for you.

maryann: Woohoo! Congrats on mailing the packet!

BillBlueEyes: LOL at literary quotes at the gym. Congrats on 5 years of Beck! That is a significant milestone.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #101  
newlifestyle

Hello Coaches,
Today is cool here. It is so nice. Fall is my favourite season.
The apples seems so fresh and crisp. Beautiful colours, etc. My day has been great OP with eating and exercising. I am allowed a cheat meal on my plan but it is funny, I don't really want it.

Bill, congratulations on 5 years of Beck. Neat sounding restaurant, what type of food was it?

Joy, way to go thinking like a squirrel rather than a bear. It is fun to make a struggle into a success.

Maryann, thanks for giving me something to ponder....'we don't need to wait for our feeling to catch up before we act.' Sometimes I am so out of touch with my feelings I find I just need to fake it til I make it.

Debbie, enjoy your Sunday.

Hello to everyone else,
Have a great weekend.
Take Care
Ann
Old 09-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 242/190.5/153

Height: 5'6"

Hi coaches--

Like Ann, I am allowed a cheat meal/day on my plan, and today I had one. But I can see now (whilst I sit here feeling less than great) that these days, too, need planning. We had friends around for lunch, and it was a lovely day, but I have grown unused to the over-carbed meal. It led to eating when not hungry And even a momentary thought of 'I don't need to worry about this *%#*'.

Eventually I had a salad for dinner, to balance things a bit, and did some caloric calculations for the next few days. And now I'm on here checking in, so there's some credit to be had after all.

It's 11:30 in the UK, so must get some sleep!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #103  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches.....I need help.

I have so been messing up.....haven't communicated.....just have been in food frenzy mode and not looking up.....facing up to it tonight, even in my brain faze from major sugar input of dairy queen large root beer smoothie.....

I've been bingeing, not planning, not exercising....about the only thing I've done right for weeks and weeks now is taking the occasional vitamin....oh dear that is bad....lol

Soooo where to from here? I've gained about about 10 or so pounds, will weigh officially in the morning and update my weight chart....that will be good....will plan my food and liquid for tomorrow...that will be good.....and will look at BDS book table contents and read about "what to do with I've so totally messed up and binged" and I'll get back on track....

Any advice coaches? and...I've missed you all, just didn't know what to say when I was messing up......

Oh, Beck team hug.....and thanks newlifestyle (ann) for the PM....it helped....
Old 09-16-2012, 04:20 AM   #104  

S/C/G: 242/190.5/153

Height: 5'6"

Elizabeth 779-- BIG credit to,you for posting. I try to,post even when I'm off plan because it lessens the time I'm not thinking clearly. Good luck for today!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #105  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Only exercise was at the supermarket - Ouch. Life sometimes gets busy. We have Gala Apples in the fridge for snacking. I didn't see Honey Crisps - my favorites - when shopping. There's a butternut squash sitting proudly in the pantry. Favorite fall foods help distract from the passage of summer.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. I shuffled all my snacks into the afternoon when I was feeling tense. That's OK, but I wish I wouldn't use food to counter tension. Raisins in my cereal are a joy, or will be once I just think of them instead of the blueberries they aren't.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I'll steal this for the next few months, "I am not a bear" - so that's what I've been thinking, LOL.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Neat to reach that place where a cheat meal isn't that important. [The restaurant's cuisine was Modern Chinese.]

Elizabeth (Elizabeth779) - It is such a challenge to make the first post here when adrift. Monster Kudos for that first step. My recommendation is to start with the fundamental strategies at the beginning of Beck's book: plan, eat sitting down, savor each bite, daily exercise, contact a Diet Buddy/Coach each day (e.g. post here). You're on your way.

TeachMe - Kudos for making the observation that the "over-carbed meal" can lead to further over eating.

Readers -
Quote:

Decide When to Move Into Maintenance

The point at which the effort to stay at a certain calorie level outweighs the benefits is different for each dieter. Draw your line at a calorie level that you can see yourself sustaining for years.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 183.
Closed Thread