Old 04-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #136  
Idaho

Height: 5'7"

OMG I thought this was the "no hunger" diet! I have been reading through old posts and it seems that many people have the opposite reaction I am having - many said that they forget to eat. I am ready for every meal and already had to have a large snack today. I am concerned because I ate 2300 calories yesterday and gained 2 lbs overnights. I understand these might not necessarily be related - but thought I would ask. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thank you.
selway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #137  
Idaho

Height: 5'7"

Hmmmm.... I might have figured out my problem. I have been eating sugar free jello as a snack. AND - I have been working long hours and had 2 diet sodas (per day) in the last 2 days. Perhaps the aspartame and/or caffeine are causing insulin spikes. I will cut those out (sniff, sniff, bye yummy jello) and see if it helps. I will learn this program yet!

Last edited by selway; 04-27-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: misspelling
selway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #138  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Hi Selway, I definitely think the Diet Coke could do that to you. Not only does it cause you to crave sugar, but it causes you to retain water because of the high sodium content. It is probably water weight. Try to limit your jello to 1 and see what happens. If you ate protein you shouldn't have gained 2 lbs if you kept your carbs low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selway View Post
Hmmmm.... I might have figured out my problem. I have been eating sugar free jello as a snack. AND - I have been working long hours and had 2 diet sodas (per day) in the last 2 days. Perhaps the aspartame and/or caffeine are causing insulin spikes. I will cut those out (sniff, sniff, bye yummy jello) and see if it helps. I will learn this program yet!
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #139  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

I am "no sugar" crashing. Day 5 of induction and here it is.
So far I've eaten a cheese stick, chewed 2 pieces of gum (0 carbs each) had a diet coke with sf vanilla torani syrup and snacked on some turkey pepperoni to take my mind off of it. Crash. Bang.

I'm looking forward to my energy burst....any time now....
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 154.8/126/128

Height: 5'4

selway I agree with Serenity and cut back on the jello. Me personally I don't eat the sugar free jellos or anything with aspartame. Not just because of atkins even before I did atkins.. If you were eating protein you shouldn't gain weight. I eat A LOT of meat and have been losing constantly..
globetrotter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #141  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Hi Again All!

Hope you're feeling better globe? Tx for the reminder on saltwater as a gargle - it's one remedy that my Mom & Gram swore by anaB! Also serenity for running out of salad greens lol . . . I'm out too! Try whipping a lil heavy whipping cream on top of the jello selW? This makes me eat less of the jello and makes more filling and satisfying. LOVE my magic bullet for this.

I've "done atkins" and lost lots of weight before on diet coke/sf jello/vienna sausages/pork rinds/beef jerkey/plain barb-q and lc beer, dchead . . . I'm doing it as a total lifestyle change this time as a healthier way to live - weight loss as a side effect. This means salads and vegetables and the luxuriousness of enjoying these with a savory sauce/cheese sauce/real butter. I'm concentrating on smaller portions of delicious and filling food and thats what is keeping the hunger and binge monster away for me. I do have those other things now in moderation and when I'm out of staples/on the run . . .

S'posed to rain here for the next 7 days . . . even tho' I got up "early" still haven't made it outside/bike . . . just vegging on the computer.
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #142  

Well guys still a bit sick with a sore throat and swallowing is still irritating but not unbearable as it was a few days ago. I'll weigh myself on Sunday as TOM just left today.. I went off plan on the day that I couldn't eat anything solid and needed to get something in me so I ate a boxed soup I had which was low fat and calories but high in carbs. hopefully that one day then throw me off..

hope everyone is doing good
Old 04-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #143  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Globe, hope you are feeling better. I use Ester C as a supplement, and it really prevents me from feeling run down.

Aud, I am making this a lifestyle change too. As I mentioned, Dh is on the wagon also even though he doesn't need to lose weight. It is very easy to keep to it that way. We had a week of rain and cold last week, and I used that as an excuse not to go out for my walk. Don't make the same lazy mistake I did. Because I don't think the scale is going to move for me much on WI tomorrow.

DCHead, I love your sense of humor. I hope you have a great WI for your first week.

Definitely going to my walk today. And why I didn't go on the treadmill, or walk in place or do a Leslie Sansone video is proof that I need to focus on my exercise.

Keep on doing it!
'
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #144  

Aud thanks for the suggestions of warm water and salt. I did that and it felt soothing.. Still hurts when I sawallo though. I read up on strep throat and basically in 3 to 7 days it will go away it says and the meds that I have are just a pain reliever... I still have a bit of a cough and my voice is getting better.. I just hate being sick....

Serenity thanks for your commentments.. getting and feeling a bit better..

Aud & Serenity you guys both are right that Atkins is a lifestyle change and I have been planning on making it a daily things as well and not just for now..

Serenity the scale may moe you never know. I haven't done any exercies this week due to being sick.. I'm ready for this strep throat to be over.. still eating is better but pain when I swallow but not as much.. drinking hot water and teas and eating chicken broth soups..

keep up the good work everyone
Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #145  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Sorry I haven't been around guys! My husband got home Wednesday night and we've been busy catching up, playing with the baby, running errands I couldn't do without him and his truck, etc.

179.4 today my weight shot up to 181.6 on Wednesday then I got TOM on Thursday and it started dropping. Still on TOM and it's nice to see my weight going down

I love having my husband home but man, there are so many more dishes and it gets messier so much quicker with him here. He helps out a lot but it's still crazy! I also got a new phone on Thursday and we've been playing Draw Something together pretty much since then. He has it on his tablet which he can use with the hotels wifi when he goes back so that'll be nice
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #146  

Hi eveyone still have the sore throat and just having chicken broth isn't doing it. I'm going to have to eat some yogurt and I've some with the least amount of carbs as possible. I haven't had solid food now going on 3 days and I need something first that I can swallow and that is cold and that will help soothe my throat.. this is for the birds it's been years since I've had strep throat and it hurts like you know what...hopefully by Tuesday I'll be able to eat solid foods and can get back on plan...

I'm not sure if I've gain/loss or what but not eating basically for 3 days who knows but what is most important is to take care of this throat and get better..

congrats on the weight loss Step.. keep up the good work
Old 04-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #147  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Globetrotter, it's tough being on this diet when you're sick. Comfort foods are usually high in carb (like most soups), most medicines are full of sugar. Even sugar free Halls still have 3.5 carbs in them.

I hope you feel better soon Maybe you'll have a nice whoosh after.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #148  
aud
lc lifestyle

Poor globie! That was our anaB who remembered the salt water gargle . . . and I just remembered this from the time I lost 80# on Atkins - it's the Ziplock Ice Cream recipe - it's super EZ and will freeze your throat:

Sparkpeople
I didnt invent this but I do tweek it with differant flavors

Minutes to Prepare: 5
Minutes to Cook: 5
Number of Servings: 2

Ingredients

Ingredients: 1 tablespoon artificial
sweetener
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
6 tablespoons Table Salt
3 cups Ice
1 Sandwich Sized Ziploc
Bag
1 Gallon Sized Ziploc Bag

Directions

How To Prepare: (No Ice Cream Maker
Needed. It really works,
trust me!!)

In the sandwich sized
ziploc, combine the sugar
substitute, vanilla
extract and heavy cream.
Seal the bag and shake
lightly to mix ingredients.

In the gallon sized ziploc
bag, add 3 cups of ice (or fill
half the bag
with ice)and add 6
tablespoons of table salt.

Place the seal sandwich
sized bag into the gallon
bag and seal the
gallon bag. Shake the entire
contents for at least 4
minutes (shake longer
for harder ice cream).

Once desired hardness
has been achieved, remove
smaller baggies and
rinse throughly with cold
water (if you miss this step,
you may wind up with
salty ice cream!)

Recipe makes about a 1/2
cup of ice cream.

I have doubled the recipe
and it still works well. I am
also sure that
you can add additional
ingredients (cocoa powder,
etc) to create different
flavors of ice cream. Lastly
for our friends and relatives
who aren't
on low carb diets, they can
use milk and regular sugar
rather than the
cream and sugar
substitute.

Number of Servings: 10
Carbs per serving - include all nutritional information if known: 5g carbs total
Effort (Easy, Average, Difficult): Easy

Number of Servings: 2
Old 04-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #149  
aud
lc lifestyle

Glad hub is home steph and new numbers for you to boot!

I'm doing good back OP . . . managed the 6mi bike ride Fri and made it to gym/weight lifting today even though I was half-asleep on day shift. Did the full upper and lower body circuit, plus back and stomach since I'd taken a lil over a week off.

Just got the wide-awakes so just got back from the store late . . . got some more big peppers to stuff . . . and lots of other LC staple . . . finally was able to get some frozen chopped cauliflower - great to have on hand.

Hoping to get back into my own new numbers soon . . . hate that I blew it but not giving up!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #150  

Thanks Aud for the receipe definitely will be preparing this today.. I haven't been this sick in years and it doesn't feel good to have your throat feel like it is on fire and swallowing every other second is like feeling nails going down your throat

Steph you are right no way to avoid carbs and sugar when you are sick and taking meds, I've looked at a lot of soups ad they all have cars in them so I said just screw it and got the healthiest soups there were and drinking those for the moment. Hopefully by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week I can be able to get back on plan. I just came off my cycle as well so this past week wasn't a great week. I'm not sure how much I weigh as I said I will get on the scale once my throat is better.. so we'll see next week..

thanks guys for all the support..