Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #16  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

Rosey ~ glad you had fun at bingo

Isabella ~ are you still at your son’s ~ how is the renovation going?

CK ~ how is the hot tub? How are the girls?

Bobbi ~ how are all your house preperations going?

Lynn ~ where are you? Hope all is well.

Donna ~ are you surviving the heat and the weekend activities?

Freda ~ you’re working this weekend ~ hope you have had good days.

Rie ~ I’m sorry that your day of fun left you feeling crummy.

Marie ~ the humming bird is so pretty

Carol Sue ~ have you been able to get back to the food tracking that had helped you previously?

Zoe ~ wish you weren’t so busy and could come hang out with us.

K3 ~ hope you haven’t had anymore trouble with those nasty neighbors and their dogs.

Mary ~ hope you can get rested up a little today ~ thank you for sharing from the books you are reading

Red ~ I must learn more about this free standing AC thing that you and Rie mention.

Ginger ~ congrats on the 1 pound loss and 10 total.

Am2 ~ are you having a nice weekend?

Gailr ~ glad to have you join in

Cajun ~ congratulations on being on plan 100% ~ way to go

I've probably left someone out ~ forgive me. Hope you all are having a good weekend.

Take care
Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #17  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! It's a little cooler today but not bad and the sun is out. We had a great service as usual...good music and great teaching. We came home to Costco rotisserie chicken we bought yestefday, potato salad (dh was craving it and I always love it so we only bought enough for 1/2 cup each), and grilled (inside) asparagus. Yummy!! So far I've done well with my calories/carbs. I did gain a pound this week but it is mostly just part of my usual up and down and I'm actually down a pound from yesterday.

A lot of discussion on temperature. Everyone is different and it's just one of those things that come up in marriage I guess. My dh is almost always colder than I, but we do try to compromise. Through the years he has lowered the temp and now we keep it at 60 at night in the winter (heat off when weather is warmer). He used to think it should be much higher, but I explained that higher isn't so healthy and we are warm under the covers...if he is cold I keep him warm and when my feet are cold he allows me to put them on him. I take longer to warm up if I get really cold (typical female?) but he warms up fast. Then came the hot flashes and sometimes I thought I'd die! It took a while for him to understand, but he finally gave in to my pleas for a fan in the bedroom (my side). In deference to him I keep it on low and turn it off each time I cool down (unless I fall asleep), and if I hear him get up I immediately turn it off until he's back in bed. One day he even came home with a small fan for the family room so I can watch TV in more comfort. It is directed on me so doesn't bother him. We have a ceiling fan in that room but that would make him uncomfortable so unless he wants it, we never use it and that's ok, I don't want him uncomfortable. One thing he does that I've had to learn to understand...is that he always has to have it 70 degrees in the house when he gets up in the mornings. I don't mind a little coolness/chiliness as I know I'll warm up soon, but I guess because he grew up in a tropical climate he can't stand it. So he sets our programmable thermostat to begin to heat up the house about two hours before we actually expect to get up. Used to make me gasp for breath as it made me feel like I was suffocating when I first woke up. But now I just throw off the covers, turn on my fan (though the air is not very cool with furnace blowing in hot air!) and accept that it's time to get up. If it's only him getting up early, he turns the thermostat down before he leaves so I can hopefully get back to sleep. He hates the cold rain of the NW so for many years we went south to get out of it...now with no RV, we plan to take car trips each month to a warm place ...won't be gone as long but at least it will help ease his winter blues.

My favorite outside temperatures are between 65 and 85. I don't mind a little below (50s-65) that if it's warm enough in the house or even just a bit chilly but warm with a flannel shirt on inside, but I really don't like much higher than 85 outside and if it's that warm inside I want the AC on.

Spent the afternoon watching Dark Shadows. So campy and bad acting but somehow it still draws me in and makes me look forward to the next episode. Then after 8 episodes, Netflix says that's all I can watch in one month!! bummer!

Hope you're all having a good weekend...
Mary

Last edited by maryea; 07-01-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #18  

Going to try and make this brief. At least one of you is getting the book and by now you probably know whether or not it would be helpful to you.

100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle (greatly paraphrased by me)
Stop wasting food.

Think about this: when you fill your car with gas, you don't keep pumping after the tank is full, spilling the fuel onto the ground. So why do that with your body? Here's a new way to look at it: every time you eat food your body doesn't need you ARE wasting it!

If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight by Brooke Castillo (the whole chapter is great but I praphrased a summary of it to keep it short)
All feelings come from within us, either from a deeply rooted belief system or by how we choose to allow an external circumstance to make us feel. No circumstance or person is ever responsible for how you feel. What you think or believe about the circumstance or person is what causes your feelings.

Once you allow yourself to exerience your feelings calmly instead of reacting, and learn where they come from, you are in control of them and you can decide how to do something differently.

Last edited by maryea; 07-01-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #19  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello Gals. We're still at DS's place. DH can't do much work but he is helping DS with the kitchen as best he can. Most of the cupboards are gone all except the area of the sink and counter-top range. The island is still standing as that can be moved about when needed. The oven is long gone to the dump (it was awful at best) so no baked goodies or casseroles or anything that needs an oven.

We had a lovely BBQ yesterday for Canada Day and some friends joined us. Later on we had a fire in the back yard and roasted marshmallows for DGS. He wouldn't eat them roasted, lol, but took them from the bag. He was so tired and sleepy that they put him in bed clothes and all. When he came to our bedroom this morning he still had marshmallow all over his mouth.

DH and I argue over the thermostat all winter. He likes it hot as the fires of h*ll and I like it normal. We have a wood furnace which he stuffs as much wood in as it can hold every time he goes downstairs. We don't have AC as the summer seldom gets unbearably hot and a fan is sufficient if needed. I guess it must be universal, this hot/cold argument.

It's a battle to stay on plan when not at home. No, I take that back. It's just a battle to stay on plan anytime, lol. Anyway, I'm very carefully tracking my food and calories while I'm here. It's amazing how a handful of chips can put one's plan in such jeopardy. I've just got to keep my hands out of the chip bags. The plate of candy and bars and the bowl of chocolate covered almonds are not tempting me but the bags and bags of chips are a trial.

Anyway, to paraphrase Gayle, one week down, and one more to go.

Have a great one.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello goldies
The weekends over and I survived it. My son served in a wedding and we went. We had a good time. We danced which is good exercise. I noticed that when I woke up Sunday morning I wasn't sore from all that dancing. Usually I can't walk the next day. Guess my jogging is paying off. I did eat a small amount of food at the wedding and a couple of beers. Let's hope it don't show up on the scale tomorrow morning. But otherwise I did good.

Maryea congrat on doing good on your plan. I know it makes me feel so positive when I'm doing good.

Gayle we all need to vent from time to time. Love the picture. I had to laugh. It's so hot here in Louisiana.

Amarantha I can't imagine being cold. I love the old better than the heat and we only have the cold 2-3 months a year.

Ginger. Congrats on your 1st 10 lb loss.

Red. Just 1 more lb and you will be in the 240's. You can do it.

Bobbi. Not needing air because of living high up sounds like my kind of paradise.

Rie I also love our boat and camping. Sounds like we have a lot in common. But.....I find it so hard to stay on my plan when we are camping.... Which we do a lot of. From September thru February we are at the camp every weekend. I will have to find a way to manage both.

Isabella glad the renovations are going good. I can so relate to the battle of staying on my plan. Even a slight mess up can show. I've been on what I thought was a plateau but looking back I realize all the extra things added up to small weight gains. I also like chips with a old beer when we are camping.

To everyone else I forgot. Hello to all.

Cajun
Old 07-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning everyone! It was such a nice day yesterday. We started out by going with my sister to her church, which was having a 4th of July special and had it outside! Then afterwards had picnic with fried chicken, and all the fixins. They had a hot dog eating contest-- did not participate YUCK! but one of the buys ate 8 hot dogs in 5 minutes, the record was 16!! DOUBLE YUCK! I like hot dogs but one or two are plenty and not in 5 minutes!! Gosh they even had a grease pig contest for the 3 to 10 year olds...pretty funny but the baby pigs were so scared-- I think the kids were too!

Got home and hubby found a 4 burner gas grill with a side burner on craigslist for $80 and it was only a year old and just like new, not used much. We have been using this little bitty 2 burned for probably the last 15 years! So that was a good deal.

My sister and her hubby came over yesterday evening and we had grilled burgers and then did some hot tubbing! The picture is of my sister and me. I can't remember who asked about if we had it up and running... but we do and it is pretty nice. Not quite like the pool but I can use this all year lone. May break down and get a above ground pool sometime.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great weekend..Be back later to try to catch up with personals..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carole and I.jpg (26.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #22  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Since it's too hot to heat the oven up for bread, I searched for crock pot recipes and found lots of them. I tried one where you put a trivet on the bottom of crock pot, put the un-risen dough in a glass baking dish, turn on high and let it do it's thing for 2.5 hours. They recommended lining the underside of the crockpot cover with tin foil so the top would brown. It worked and was so delicious that we ate all of it in two days. Not good for my diet but oh so good. The gal that wrote the recipe put a pillow over the top so heat wouldn't escape. I went one step farther, wrapped the whole crock pot in a large bath towel, covered with pillow.
I have many apricots ready today, I need to get out in the kitchen and do something with them. I googled crockpot apricot cobbler and found some good recipes for that too. I'll use stevia to cut down on the calories.
Hi everyone, too busy to chat. I have a load of wet clothes to hang out on the line.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

DH and I also have issues with the thermostat. If I feel cold I put on a sweater. He says "Are you cold?" I say "I'll be OK." But he still goes and turns the thermostat warmer. Then I get too hot. Just let me put on my sweater when I want to, or throw on my afghan. He keeps the house a little too cool for me, and then he goes outside and sits on the porch. If he's going to be outside anyway, let me have MY temperature in the house! Men just have to be in control. I know I do things that make him angry, too.

I didn't do very well over the weekend. I think that's because I didn't track my breakfast and lunch and check to see how many calories I had left for dinner. So, here I go again, start all over. I've already done poorly so far today, so it's salad for dinner, for sure! Bread does me in.

I haven't been able to find my All Bran crackers that I like, even in the store where I've bought them in the past. Instead I picked up Wheat Thins Fiber Select Multi-grain. I compared the nutritional info on the boxes and it is almost identical, so that is my new fiber choice. I also picked up some of those 90 Calorie Fiber One Brownies. If I am craving chocolate, I have 1/2 of a brownie instead of the fiber crackers. It keeps me away from chocolate candy or cake but still satisfies my craving. I still want to try the Fiber One Haystacks when I get around to trying them. I want to use chocolate morsels and can't figure out how much to use.

Bobbi - When I was growing up, we never had peanut butter, just jelly, which I don't like, and apple butter. When I tasted this girl's apple butter last year it took me back to my childhood. Soo good! That's why I want to make it. She said it only makes a few jars, so probably after this batch is gone I won't make it again. Since I'm the only one who will be eating it, I don't need to be eating all that bread. I just want to taste it one more time.

For those in USA, have a great Independance Day!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-02-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #24  
Bobbi

I drank my last Strawberry Slim fast just now. Since I'm in my tight wad stage of life, I googled a 'homemade Slim fast mix' and didn't find one. I did find the following. When I have more time, I'll have to check the internet again to see if I can find one or do any of you have one? I haven't tried any of these yet but I can see 1-2 ice cubes are not enough. It helps to freeze your skim milk in ice cube tray so the shakes get thicker.

Here are the recipes for 8 delicious shakes. The instructions are the same for each one hrow all the ingredients into your blender and set the speed on blend for 1 or 2 minutes,until the shake reaches your desired degree of frothiness.

chocolate-Banana Cream

1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup fat free or lite chocolate ice cream
1/2 medium banana
1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
1-2 ice cubes

Strawberry heaven

1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup fat free or lite strawberry ice cream
1 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries
1-2 ice cubes

Peach-keen vanilla shake

3/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup fat free or lite vanilla ice cream
3/4 cup peaches ,canned in juice
1-2 ice cubes

Pineapple cheese cake shake

1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup crushed pineapple,in juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1-2 ice cubes

This is my favorite

Shakey apple pie

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup vanilla yogurt
dash cinnamon
2 ice cubes

Nectar of the Gods

1/3 cup apricot nectar
1/2 medium banana,sliced
1 cup plain low fat yogurt
1 teaspoon honey
1-2 ice cubes

Lemony melon Shake

1/2 cup lemon yogurt
1/2 medium banana,sliced
1 cup fresh or frozen honeydew melon balls
1/2 cup skim milk
1-2 ice cubes

Banana cafe

1/2 cup coffee-flavored yogurt
3/4 cup skim milk
1 medium banana
1-2 ice cubes

Last edited by Bobbolink; 07-02-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Bobbi-- these are very interesting---do you have calorie counts for them? I might have to try them in the Magic Bullet!!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #26  

We overslept and got to the gym kinda late today but at least we got there. We were both tired today and only walked 10 min on the treadmill. But I was able to put more weight on the foot press and the back machine (not sure what you call it) which surprised me.

Bobbi - Slim-fast contains quite a lot of fiber. That is why it is so filling and also (for diabetics) helps with the carb count. So you might want to add some Metamucil or a similar product to get that.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #27  

From 100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle (paraphrased by me)
Retrain Eating Habits
If you struggle with not cleaning your plate and throwing away food, try eating just a little less each time. Once you are doing this at home, apply the same concept to restaurant meals. Of course, you can take home food but this can backfire so be careful as generally restaurant meals are higher in calories and fat so you could end up having a high calorie/high fat meal twice. Select healthier items in the restaurant if you are taking some home. If you are eating higher fat/calorie items plan to leave some on your plate.

From If I am So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight by Brooke Castillo (keeping this very short but it is a very good chapter)
Be a Happy Person. Experiencing a Negative Situation, Don't Become the Negative Situation.
Realizing you are responsible for your own feelings is very good news. It means you don't have to rely on someone else to feel better.

Last edited by maryea; 07-02-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #28  
Bobbi

KarenMo...You can put it in Fitday to figure out the calories. I haven't bothered because I want some better recipes for shakes.
Mary...good to know. (adding fiber)I'm not impressed with these recipes, especially the ones asking for ice cream. I will do some googling now that I have a little time and find some better recipes. If I can't find anything, I'll do some experimenting and come up with something. I want to make up some packets with dry skim milk in it, maybe just add water. I think adding a packet of flavored Kool Aid would take care of the different flavors.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 07-02-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Height: 5'1"

Quckie cause I'm so $#*#^* of! I just spent a really long time posting to everone here and Got kicked off 3FC as I pushed sent. What's up with that. Taking a breack and will try again. I always write out in notebook what I want to say 1st, had 3 pgs of reply's
Old 07-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #30  
Bobbi

Sorry Ginger but everyone here has been there, done that. It's very frustrating after taking notes and getting your thoughts together only to lose it all. I'm gonna swear with you@+$(*^##

Quote:
Mix Fresh and Frozen Fruit

This is in response to Suzy Q, asking for the homemade equivalent of Slim-Fast-type shakes. In my opinion, Slim Fast isn't as nutritional as it seems to be. I always check the ingredients of anything claiming to be a 'healthy' food, and usually find a long list of chemicals. What I do is buy fresh fruit in season, like strawberries, blueberries, etc. I store them in my freezer, or buy discounted frozen fruit. I also buy 100% real juice on sale. I mix 1 cup of fruit juice with 1 1/2 cups of frozen fruit and a banana, or whatever other fresh fruit I have. Sometimes I mix in some granola, wheat germ, etc. for a little substance. Blend it up in your blender and it's delicious! You can add honey or pineapple juice if it's a bit too tart, add ice for a thicker, 'smoothie' texture. This is a great alternative because you are using all-natural, inexpensive ingredients. (There are many juice bars that sell similar drinks for about $4 each, and it usually ends up costing me about 50 cents/drink.)
LL

Special "Shake"

I am responding to the woman who wanted to have a shake in the morning that was fast and easy. I like to cut up some fruit and put it in the blender. It is fast and easy and a lot more nutritious(kids love this, too). Put your favorite fruit, ice(sorbet, frozen fruit juice), protein powder, carob powder, etc.. in a blender and you have a great, nutritious shake. Hope this helps.
Hilary

Simple Diet Shake Recipes

I just wanted to let Susie Q know that I make a shake out of the sugar free/fat free pudding mix by Jello. I don't think it would have the nutritional value of Slim-Fast but if you drank it and then popped a multi- vitamin I think it would be about even.

Here is the recipe:
•1package of any flavor Jello sugarfree/fatfree pudding mix
•1 cup of skim milk or 1% milk (makes shake thicker)
•1/2 to 1cup of crushed ice
Put all of the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.
I also make a fruit smoothie which might give you alittle more nutritional value than the above recipe.

Fruit smoothie recipe:
•1frozen banana peeled and cut into chunks
•1 cup any other kind of fruit( I like strawberries, pears, pineapple, peaches- fresh,canned or frozen)
•3/4 to 1 cup of juice ( again your choice: apple, orange, grapefruit, or the juice from canned fruit)
•1 tablespoon of powdered milk
•Sugar or honey to taste
Put the frozen banana chunks in the blender with the juice. Blend until smooth then add your choice of 1 cup of fruit and blend well. Add powdered milk and blend. Then taste to see if you wish to add sugar or honey. Add sugar or honey if desired.

That is it. Hope it helps out Susie Q.
Kimberly W.

MPF Drink

Adults attempting to lose weight on one of the liquid diets that come neatly packaged in cans could get the same nutritional and low-calorie meals by adding 2 ounces of Multi-Purpose Food (MPF) to 1 quart of reconstituted dry milk mixed 50% stronger for a total of 50 cents per day.
Closed Thread