Old 06-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #361  
It Just Goes To Show You!

S/C/G: 222/195.5/136

Height: 5'2"

Hey There Clydegirl!

Oh it will get better...I have been stuck on my plateau because of stress (from the peeping tom and then the two break ins)...So don't weigh yourself at all!...Only take your measurements...And put scale aside (out of sight) and don't go back to it for one month...and do the best you can...then weigh yourself...When I first went on the Best Life Plan...I didn't weigh myself for over 2 months only took my weight and measurements when I started...and then when I relaxed about the weighing myself the diet part became really really easy for...I lost 22 lbs...and you can too!

Go to your quality used clothing places/stores...In New Jersey/New York they have "SAVERS" which are like the Canadian "Value Village"...They have awesome used clothes I buy all my stuff from that type of store...and you can get gorgeous stuff Clydegirl for your hubby's retirement...I have bought tons of designer stuff Clydegirl for such crazy low and cheap prices...my last find was an extra large Erica Collection Red Linen dress with a tropical leaf/flower pattern for $3.00 Canadian...OR you can go to T.J Maxx &/or Marshalls and scout out finds there...they always have good stuff again for a very reasonable price...

Cheer up Buttercup!

You Have Friends Here!
Kimush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:35 PM   #362  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Thanks Kim I appreciate it
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #363  

Back at you Clydegirl

Old 06-30-2007, 10:56 PM   #364  
One pound at a time.

Went to the mall today to get my youngest something to wear for the retirement ceremony. I actually got her a lovely dress reduced from $50 to $9 in JC Penney. They were having a big summer sale. Didn't see anyhting for myself but I need to go with a friend for that.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:04 AM   #365  

Default My introductory post!

Hello, I am posting here because I understand this is the main thread for us 40-something people.

I am 42, married, and for most of my life I have been of normal weight although I have always felt fat. When I look back at old pictures, I look fine, but most of my friends were smaller so I always felt fat.

About ten years ago I was in a miserable relationship, nothing horrid, more just staying together because it was easier than change. But I had gained a lot of weight, 245 lbs on my 5'-1/2" frame. The gain started when I was about 30.

When that relationship ended, I was about 34 and I was living half way across the country only because of the relationship that had just ended. But after the amount of time there, it was really home, I had a job and friends. So I worked on my weight, and by obsessing on diet and exercise, I lost about 100 lbs in one year. It was great. I even tried online dating and met a great guy and we have been married six years and I think we love one another more now than then!

Sadly, when we married, I started to gain the weight back and managed to get up to 219. He is still so loving and great, but I am so unhappy and reclusive and he wants to have friends. It is very hard to diet and exercise obsessively when one has a husband and a great stepdaughter. Plus I do not want to screw up my stepdaughter with my eating issues! Kids have a lot of pressure to be thin these days!

I was ready to have the lapband procedure a few years ago and during that process I became disenchanted with the doctors. It didn't feel right. I found the book "Overcoming Overeating" where it basically says to love yourself and get over the dieting by eating what you want to eat (eventually "forbidden" foods will lose their appeal). Well I just could not embrace the loving myself as I am. I hate being fat. At least I overcame the appeal of a lot of foods and they don't have the same hold on me.

A few months ago, I joined Curves. I already have a 24 Hour Fitness membership, but Curves is so close and it only takes 35 minutes including stretches. Plus, I am going to an OB/GYN who specializes in weight loss and he gave me a diet and some diet pills (that I haven't taken yet).

The "diet" I am on is great. At first I was mad about it because I just wanted the diet pills, but I really like the way I feel after eating the way he suggested. He told me to eat things that come from the ground, excluding sugar. So it is basically vegetarianism with the occasional "eat whatever" thrown in. So far I have lost about 12 pounds this month (which is the first month) and so I am not so angry. Plus I actually like vegetables. I eat a lot of salad, beans, corn, and I add some bleu cheese too. Dressing is straight unadulterated balsamic vinegar because it tastes so good, and it is harmless.

Anyway, I want to keep up the good work and find other people struggling like me. I want to stay on the vegetable track and stop spending $40/month on ice cream because the more we buy the more we eat!

I am so tired of being upset with myself. I am tired of kicking myself when I am down.
Wiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #366  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Ramble!!

Welcome Wiffle. I think it is good that you decided against lap band surgery when it just didn't feel right for you. I think that sometimes we just go along with what the doctor says because they are the doctors. I think it is smart to know what is right for your body and make your own choices. Anyway, good luck to you! Glad you joined us.

Clydegirl: Glad you found some deals. I actually went shopping yesterday, too. I needed to get some clothes before I ended up wearing the same thing to work every day. I was thrilled to find sales. I guess if you wait long enough to buy summer clothes, they go on clearance!! I was happy a couple of times when I took 2 sizes in the dressing room and each time, the smaller of the sizes worked! Just keep dreaming of getting out of "Women's" sizes and moving into "Misses". I saw another thread elsewhere that asked what you want to do with the remaining 6 months of the year and I decided that I really want to move out of the Women's section of the stores. That's my goal.

Jo: How's the new treadmill? I'm sure you are enjoying it. I have a TM, too, but the belt is slipping on it. I just need to figure out who can fix it. I'll need to make some calls. Oh, and I had to laugh at your previous post awhile back about having kids hovering as you're trying to type. That drives me crazy! Yes, I want to spill my guts and have my kids read every word. I swear I have no privacy.

Kimush: I loved the raccoon story, too. So cute! Little bad boy racoon!

Cammie: How was your organizational day? Sounded like a good time! Hope your 5 day challeng is going well!!

Laura: Sounds like you are doing really well with your swimming! Good for you. I've never been a strong swimmer, so that is impressive to me. I could save myself, but that's about it.

As for me, I am thinking I'm coming out of my funk a little. I thought that it really sounds like all of us are not in our happy places right now. I think that in the summer, you tend to lose some of your routine and it makes it harder to stay on plan, which makes the scale stay the same and it gets frustrating. As I was running kids around one night last week (a particularly busy night), I was listening to a song that I believe was popular some time ago (Celine Dion?? I think?). It says something to the effect that "when you kiss me like this and when you touch me like that"..... and "it was so long ago, but it's all coming back to me now". It isn't the intent of the song, but I got to thinking about how life is so hectic and so crazy right now, especially with raising kids, that you tend to lose so much of yourself. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and I'm glad I have kids and I really enjoy their activities. I also know that this time with them is fleeting and will be gone before we know it.... and I will miss it. However, I also remember who I was before I had kids. It might not be a problem for everyone, but I really don't do a lot of what I did back then. I think that you need to change your focus to your kids when you are raising them, but I really do miss that person I was back then. I also think that my view is somewhat wrong because I think that a lot of my weight problem came from putting myself last. It has been my mindset that taking care of myself is selfish when the kids need me. Forget buying clothes for me when it is much more fun to buy clothes for them. So, they're dressed so nice and I'm wearing the same clothes for 10 years. (slight exaggeration, but close to the truth).

Anyway, at first, this little relevation made me really depressed. I started feeling overwhelmed and unappreciated. That's why one of my previous posts mentioned a mid life crisis. (Oh, and I haven't bought a sports car to fix this!!) But then I realized that this is why you have to schedule that time to exercise, why you have to plan the healthy menus, and take that time for yourself. I am no good to my kids or husband when I'm so sad and not feeling healthy. Life has changed... and it will continue to change.... and that's ok as long as you don't forget about taking care of yourself in the process. Even when kids are out on their own, there will be other things (like maybe taking care of parents) that will draw away your time. It won't help to neglect yourself and grow increasingly unhealthy and unhappy.

I also realized that when the kids are in school, they ride the bus and I get to just go to work by myself. This is a 15 minute drive that is really helpful in getting my mind in order for the next thing on my plate (work or home). Now that I'm taking them to camps, the pool, or whatever, I don't get that time anymore. I'm sure this is the same for those of you who don't work outside the home! They tend to hover!! Love the little critters!

Ok, that's it. Just my thoughts. Here's to a happier, healthy week!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #367  

Hey Everybody...

Wiffle

Wiffle you have come to the right place...this is where the ladies meet, chat, support, vent, laugh and cry too! I was where you are in January! I it is hard getting your head/heart/emotions around all of this weight stuff! Society is more understanding if you are an alcoholic or drug addict...and unfortunately we have bought into that social conditioning! Time to love yourself! And take all the time in the world to work on yourself and what you want (to lose weight)..A lot of us on here have the same problem with the patience and waiting...That is where 3FC's and this great bunch of ladies comes in really handy!Looking forward to chatting with you!

Clydegirl! Way to go ...Well that is a good start! When is the retirement party and what type of used clothing stores do you have access too! Since I spend my day with many unruly characters (be it raccoons, children, babies, teens, peeping toms) I have probably at least 10 jean jumpers (Calvin Klein, Jones of New York, Elizabeth Claiborne) that I wear to work...I may have spent between 3-10 for each and I never worry it anything get ruined because they were cheap but fabulous names...my daughter loves to shop and she alway hits Value Village first as she likes to get all the designer stuff she can...My daughter's friend bought her wedding dress from in Hamilton ON that is just breath taking and she spent 120.00 and it is a Vera Wang (for Saks 5ht Avenue)...You will find something lovely I am sure of it!

Oh Diane Honey You put into words what we all think from time to time but don't have the language to express it! What a revelation! So what do you do! I feel guilt for everything in my life (my cross to bare thanks to my Polish Catholic hertiage) that I have control over (too tired to do stuff) and that I don't (damn peeping tom/burgular)...So what do you do! Because as a mom we push "ourselves" aside for the relational context of family and children! You sure have put some stuff into context for me! Thanks Muchly...Ihave had a difficult 2 weeks with that peeping tom/burgular and when I feel angry and resentful with my daughter or mother (because they don't see the severity and don't protect themselves properly so I have to give up my time to do that) then I feel guilty and sad!

Here is to a Better Day!
Old 07-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #368  
returning to myself

hey Diane.....my kids are older now...my youngest is 17....

I know how you feell...I think for me the secret was in making them a bigger part of who I actually was.. and ALWAYS try to hqave SOME alone time....whatever it takes....

so I didn't really lose myself as much in parenting as in marriage, oddly enough....

just try to hang in there (THATS helpful!! lol) try to stick with your routine no matter what...or rearrange it for the summer....

oh I don't know!!

it's HARD being a woman!!!

let's put it this way...you WILL get thru it...and someday you will look back and actually miss this time in your life....so love every minute as best you can....and love yourself too....and take pictures....
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #369  
returning to myself

hi KIm...I am going to check out that Best Life Plan...

Hi Wiffle....

I have not read that book...it sounds like it makes sense.....maybe not to someone who feels like they want to be thin NOW....but thats not really possible...the only way to BE thin and healthy is to LIVE thin and healthy....of course its not realistic to try to LOVE being fat...I think it's more about being loving toward ourselves....being supportive of ourselves...it's ok to hate being fat...but don't hate YOURSELF for it....

I guess my dieting strategy is similar to yours...I am doing sort of a modified Pritikin Plan....tons of veggies...and extremely low fat low cal versions of some of my favorite foods....

I DO buy ice cream...I buy Dreyers/Edys slow churned vanilla and only have 1/2 a cup for 90 cal with Walden Farms 0 cal caramel ......and I find I don't crave it as much because I CAN have it!!

it's strange how that works...as soon as I tell myself no...I GOTTA HAVE IT!!!!
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:13 AM   #370  

Thank you for the welcome, everyone!

I made a ticker, gonna see if it shows up in this post.

I was reading slashnl's post about having kids/husband/family and putting ourselves last. I have done this too, and my mother always did this too. The funny thing is that my husband has never asked me nor expected me to put myself last. I just do it and then get upset about it. I am doing much better, especially making sure I get to Curves three or four times a week, and buying foods that are good for us instead of the junk that makes everyone happy in the short term but is awful in the long term.

Iminhere, regarding Overcoming Overeating, it is a good book and the last few years have probably prepared me well for being better about food for the long term.

Do any of you here have dumb motivators? I make sure I go to Curves at least three times a week because I want my "Curves Cash". Those are little paper play money slips and you get one if you work out at least three times in one week. If you get about 50,000 of them you can get a shirt. I don't know why they are so important to me, but I never miss a week without going at least three times!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:27 AM   #371  

Iminhere, I forgot to mention that my Summer Curves magazine has and article about the 10 best frozen desserts. #3 is Blue Bunny Personals Light Peanut Butter Fudge ice cream. I bought some but haven't tried it yet.

It is a little tub with one cup of ice cream in it (two servings) at 130 calories per serving. We've been buying Blue Bell (a Texas premium ice cream that usually has about 190 calories/half cup) half gallons on sale for $3.50 or so, and then we eat it all and buy more the next week! Sometimes we eat a few half gallons in a week!

My husband would rather I buy the mass quantities of Blue Bell as it is less per ounce but I bet we will spend less on ice cream and be healthier if I just pick up a few of the little containers each week (like one for each of us).
Old 07-02-2007, 06:06 AM   #372  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Ah the family thing ... I did lose weight once during a slow down at work. I exercised after the kids went to school and bopped around the house all day without eating much. However ....

This last time my kids were 17, 20 and 22 when I started. I still felt the guilt for taking time out. I used to apologise if I walked while they were at home without me, hoped they didn't notice that I didn't eat the potatoes. I remember all that but they don't. Funny, huh?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #373  
One pound at a time.

Diane what a well written post. I agree with everything you said in fact you could be me

Hi Wiffle welcome. I'm also a curves member but currently on medical hold due to a bulging disc in my neck. I loved getting those curves bucks and then cashing in for free stuff.

Kim the retirement is 30th July so it's creeping up on me. I need to find something soon. We have a lot of stores near us. There's lots of sales going on at the minute so I should get a bargain

Have a good day girls.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #374  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

HI GUYS!!!!! Can you tell that I actually have some time here today? I just spent the past 1/2 hr or so catching up on all the posts from the past few weeks. Kevin started ESY this a.m., Amy (youngest) is watching tv and Julie (almost 17) is . . . . of course she's still asleep! Anyway, since I have some time I thought I'd post something other than a quickie (not that there's anything wrong with a quickie! )

Laura -- I know exactly what you mean when you're swimming in the pool and pretend to be somewhere - or maybe even be someone - else. I do that all the time when I exercise and when I walk the dog. You know that commerical where the woman is walking w/her ipod and she passes John Stamos and other stars (can't remember who they are at the moment)? I do that constantly . I'll pretend I'm teaching a class or competing w/someone while running or am running/taking a class w/friends. Even though it's all in my head it does seem to help keep me motivated. As long as no one catches me talking to myself then it's all good! And I wanted to tell you that I love your "Jaws" quote at the bottom of your signature. Kevin discovered "Jaws" last year on tv one day. He just happened to tune into the part where Quint is getting eaten. I figured that was the most graphic part of the movie and he saw it anyway so I bought him a copy off of ebay. Can't tell you how many times I've seen Quint get eaten by that shark by now! And they use the "That's some bad hat, Harry" line at the closing credits of "House". Took me forever to figure out where I'd heard the line.

Wiffle!! Glad you're here. I think it's good you decided to hold off on the lapband surgery. Once done it's hard to undo (if at all) from what I've read. WTG on your weight loss so far! 12 lbs. is wonderful. Your diet sounds pretty good. I'd go bonkers w/out chicken, pork and beef but if it's working for you that is terrific! The no sugar thing -- boy sometimes I forget how good I feel when I don't consume mass quantities of it then eat too much and feel awful. It really zaps your energy and makes you feel just lethargic and drained. I try to eat it in moderation -- well most of the time! I do the same thing w/ice cream too -- stock up when it's on sale. We bought a scratch and dent chest freezer a few years back from Sears (got them to knock off nearly $100 bucks on it. I just kept asking for more and more off and they kept agreeing.) I buy Turkey Hill (it's made in Lancaster -- pronounced LAN-caster not lan-CASTER, PA) when they have it 4/$10 per 1/2 gallon. Mostly I can stay away from it cause I buy flavors I don't really like or can ignore. The exception is Cookies and Cream and sometimes Dutch Chocolate. And never, under any circumstances can I buy Coffee ice cream. I would truly make myself sick from eating it all in one sitting! The local grocery store (Giant) has their brand of icecream sandwiches and fudgebars which are pretty good. Sometimes one of them will do the trick too and the calories are fixed -- unlike the "1/2 cup" ice cream amount. "1/2 cup" of ice cream -- don't think I've ever actually eaten that serving amount!!

Clydegirl -- how are you doing? Is the funk lifting? How old is your daughter in ESY and what is her dx? Kevin was dx'd w/atypical autism when he was 6. And that was after about 6 or 7 docs all telling us not to worry, he's just a boy, no he doesn't need any special therapy or anything, blah, blah, blah even though we knew something was up w/him from the very beginning. Lots and lots and lots of different docs over the years, wrap around services (too little, too late as far as we are concerned w/that), even some meds for awhile. The lack of understanding and basically caring from the docs has made us super leery of docs in general (no offense to anyone in health care). We kept thinking that someone was going to give us either answers or a way to "fix" him. Lots of anger towards the docs who just completely and totally misdx'd him and didn't listen to us. They just kind of patted us on the head and sent us on our merry way, see ya in 6 months or a year. Finally realized that we were the only ones qualified to figure him out and we ignored whatever the docs said that went against what we knew to be best for him. Ok, ramble over! Kevin also loves the water. He'd go to the pool everyday too if he could! He was annoyed about having to go to ESY this year --more so than in the past. He just turned 14 and he wants to just stay home, play, and go to the pool. But even after 2 weeks of this I see the "sameness" of it all settling in around him and his anger level increasing. His behavior is his biggest problem by far. It's way better at 14 than it was at 4 but still . . . it's there.

Diane -- did you crawl around inside my head or something? Everything you posted has gone in and out of my thoughts, especially the part about who we used to be b/4 kids. I really, really was feeling that about 10 years ago when the kids were 1 1/2, 4 and 6 I guess because "who I was" wasn't as far behind me as it is now. Probably what I miss most is the not being responsible for anyone but me part of it. I absolutely loved the '80s and used to often wish I could go back to being 24 or so just because I had so much fun. That has changed alot for me over the past 5 years or so, as the kids -- and I guess as I -- have gotten older. Because of all the problems we've had w/Kevin all of our friends have pretty much disappeared. These were people who I've had some of the very best times of my life with. We used to be able to go places w/him when he was littler until he was 2 1/2 - 3yrs. old. It was so hard because he would just not be or play like the other kids and would get into things -- like vaccuum cleaners, spray containers, anything fairly dangerous -- that we just stopped going places. It was just too damn hard. After enough "no" replies, our friends gave up I guess. Everyone has their own families too but now that we're at a point where getting together is much more doable for us, it's been so long since we've had any contact that I wouldn't even know where to start. Oh, and then there's that whole "when I lose 20 lbs." thing. Crazy but I don't want to see anyone until I'm down to close to where I used to be. Yeah, like no one else has aged or gained some weight!

Kim -- they catch the peeping tom yet? Cat and hairballs thrown at the guy -- stop, I can't see for the tears running down my face. I love your sense of humor! Hey, we switched our cat to Hill Science Diet Hairball Control crunchies and it actually works. He now throws up only once in a while vs. once or twice a week on the grocery store brand. Might give it a try for your kitty. Oh, and our cat has decided that he wants his litter box cleaned precisely on time or he will pee on your shoes. I always put my shoes away now; hubby has not learned this lesson just yet. LOL! I was also laughing at your "guilt". Polish Catholic is right there with Irish Catholic, isn't it? YUP!!! I was raised Roman Catholic -- that's with a capital "R" and a capital "C" -- and when you pop out at birth, b/4 they swaddle you in the blanket they wrap you in a nice, fine layer of guilt. It comes with a lifetime warranty too! Too funny! Aaaccck, and you can't escape it either. How'd they do that anyway? I've managed to "quiet" the guilt beast over the years but it still likes to rear it's ugly head from time to time. We do have much in common GF!

Ok and lastly I finally used my new TM. Oh, so that's what an incline is like! I love this thing. It has preset programs -- interval programs for incline, speed, weight loss, training for a 5K and heart rate and a plain manual one. You can tweak it as you go along - like if the incline isn't right you can lower or raise it; same w/the speed during the workout -- and the program adjusts the next part of it. It counts down the time, which is a very nice feature. I never knew how bouncy the old one was. And on this one I can walk at a faster mph pace vs. the old one. I was like a weiner dog trying to keep up w/a lab walking at 4.2 mph on the old one but on the new one, I don't feel like that until I hit 4.6 or so. And the old one I thought I was a dork 'cause I HAD to hold on to the side rails when running cause I thought I was going to go flying off the thing. WHUMP! Now I'm thinking the machine was out of whack, not me!

Ok so I've rambled on here just forever. Julie just woke up -- it's 11:30am. Gonna eat and shower and go pick up Kevin at 2. I live 10 mins from the school. ESY runs 9am - 2pm and they wanted to pick him up at 8AM and drop him off at 3PM. Did I say -- I live 10 minutes from the school. Why would I put him on a bus for an extra 2 hrs. a day? If they had one more bus running it would eliminate these kids having to be on it so long. I talked to the bus company but they can't change anything so, chauffer it is!

Have a great day ladies! Glad I could finally catch up -- hope I didn't bore anyone to death! TTFN

Jo

Last edited by Is that really me; 07-02-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 AM   #375  

Hello Everyone: I am a male newbie and am fascinated with health and weight loss since I have managed to keep it off for 6 years. I am 44 yrs old with 3 children and went through 2 bouts of weight loss battle and have now managed to conquer the beast within. I would be very interested in sharing my methods, failures, successes, discoveries, recipes, etc but I'm afraid of offending some of the fine people in this forum. I have learned over the years that people don't want to hear the truth, they want to hear what they perceive as the truth. Most of my friends ask me how I stay slim and healthy yet they don't want to hear the answer. It's kind of like asking how to get out of debt...first cut up your credit cards. Most will not do it. Anyway, I relate health & wealth in a similar fashion. Create simple routines. I can babble on but will wait for a few responses. Thank you for creating this forum. Maui
maui is offline   Reply With Quote