Old 01-16-2006, 04:56 AM   #1  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Thumbs up "Every-Day" 21-Day Challenge -- There's strength in numbers!!

Okay, everyone, as is the tradition, I start a new thread when I personally start a new challenge.

Below is a short explanation of how this challenge works so all you newcomers can take a look and decide if you're game or not! I hope you are! Hop aboard and enjoy the ride. We've got a great bunch of supportive people, so I hope you'll give us a try. A lot of people try for a while and then disappear.. I hope some of you will keep trying. There is NO shame in starting over. Remember, it's not over till you give up. And our motto around here is:

NEVER GIVE UP!!...Just start OVER!!

EXPLANATION:

It works like this: you decide you'll do something for 21 days straight, every single day, so keep it doable. Then you count ....one through 21.....and if you flub it, you MUST go back to zero and start over again. Everyone will be on different days. You can start anytime. At the beginning of the challenge you declare what level it is -- Level 1, 2, or 3. Level 1 means you feel it's a relatively easy challenge for you and means you only give yourself ONE pause day (see explanation of pause days below). Level 2 would give you two pause days and so on...

With a pause day you pause in your counting and continue the next day with the number you left off with. Pause days are NOT substitutes for days, i.e. Day 12 -- Day 13 -- Pause Day -- Day 14..... I suggest taking a pause day late in the game (better to go back to Day 1 early on) if you need a break or screw up when you're well into the challenge, meaning, when you're on Day 15 or something like that.

In any case, the trick is to keep going. The momentum builds and it's great incentive to stick to your guns, cause if you don't.........back to START you go. And the really great thing about this challenge is that you are forming new habits that will wipe out the old! AND, you get to do it with a great bunch of really supportive people to whom you are accountable!

Please join us!!

redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:31 AM   #2  
Never give up

Smile

Hi there everyone! I will be starting up my new challenge tomorrow but wanted to finally get the new thread up...Hope to see you all soon. Things were awful quiet around here today....more later.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:27 AM   #3  
Never give up

Smile

Well, just looking back over the latest posts trying to catch up a bit. I'm dead tired, lack of sleep from mewing cats and up early to finish work on a story. I sure hope they will be happy with it because if I have to look at that thing again I will scream!

Shad -- Yeah, sure was lonely around here today. Luckily I was at work and so didn't really mind at all. Wouldn't have had time to read posts anyhow. Guess it's Sunday where most of our posters are. You and I are really the only two on more or less the same time zone. Glad to hear your challenge is coming along so well. I will finally be back up and running tomorrow, though I don't know with what. Maybe a bit of old, a bit of new.

curly -- Thanks for your pictures. You're very pretty and look like you have classic redhead coloring, don't you? I agree with CB, you look like your avatar!

CBETA -- Glad to hear from you again. I hope you're feeling better than the last time you posted though, "beat, bored and lonely".....hmm, sounds like it could get better. There's no need to apologize for being weak. We all are at times, some more than others. Most of us just don't say much! Heh, if you're on the phone calling Japan and India, why don't you give me a ring?!! I can PM you my numbers. That'd be fun. And, wow, I LOVE your attitude about putting YOU first! Way to go, girl!! Keep that attitude up!!

stage -- don't know what's going on with the Super Bowl. Just know that my sister sent me a message ending with "Go Steelers!" cause we're from Pgh. Did they play the Seahawks? Could they play them in the Bowl? I don't have a clue. I have not been following it at all. Don't even know all the teams or where they are anymore! Guess I should go check out the sports news over there. Keep up the good work on your challenge!

Apple -- How are you doing? I would LOVE to get in the 40s myself, not age, just weight. Wish there was something we could do to mutually motivate each other? Can you think of something? Every time I write to you I start thinking of drinking a beer...you are a bad influence!!!

Leisam -- Are you going to hang in there with us? We heard from you once before, then nothing. Hope you stick with us! Write more often if you can! It'll help you stick to your challenge. We all try to write no matter how we're doing on our challenges. Remember, there's more to success than meets the eye!

Old 01-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #4  

What fun! A new thread just when I need to go back to Day 1 on both the wine and chocolate challenges! (They were rolled into one - not a mistake I'll repeat.) But today is Day 16 on the water challenge, two pauses left. I'm not even going to pretend to have a daily exercise challenge.

My fit of the "blahs" has taken its toll - not a nice visit to the scale this am. My fingers are crossed that it's all the salt and fat, but I don't really think so. The problem with drinking lots of wine with (or without) dinner is that it makes it seem quite reasonable to cook and eat an entire box of Kraft Dinner at midnight... and no, it wasn't worth it, although it did do a good job as a hangover-prevention technique. So now it's time to pick my swollen bod up and start over.

The canal here has re-opened for skating this morning, which is almost tempting, but then it's -30C out there with the wind chill, and I think I'll wimp out. And yes, I do feel ashamed of my pathetic self. But at least I have my spin class tonight, and back to work tomorrow for a few days, which will drag me out of bed bright and early and have me trotting a few k's back and forth. It'll be tough to get up for work after weeks and weeks of staying up until 2 am and sleeping until 11!!!

And with the new thread I'll try to get back to more dialogue instead of just monologue (Me! Me! It's all about ME!) in my posts. So bring on those posts! Let's get that New Year's energy back! Go team! And Red, thanks for the new thread. Meow, meow, meow... purrr.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:21 PM   #5  

Good morning! I am dealing with a case of blahs myself. I am hoping to pull myself up out of the depths and get on with it.
We are having a big problem with mold and mildew in the house. Pretty much the whole front of the house is overly moist and it looks like I have some kind of funky garden growing in the living room and the baby's room. So I'm worried that this is unhealthy for the baby. I think I'm going to have him sleep in my room for a while but I don't think DH will go for that, for an extended time, anyway. We can't really do anything major about it until the rains stop and it dries out. Probably not until May. I get really depressed when I walk into that room. We bought a dehumidifier, hopefully that helps.
Football is very very important to this family, my husband is in the business! This time of year is always very tough. Either there is a lot of pressure from actually being in the playoffs or he is worried about getting fired. Although if he did get fired it wouldn't be until May. But he won't. I'm pretty sure of it, but he's still worried. Even if he did, he knows enough people (and has positive relationships with them) so he would end up with another job pretty easily. But he still worries. Anyway, its Seattle vs. Carolina and Pittsburgh vs. Denver. I think. I don't really care much about any of those teams, I don't know anyone in those organizations. I guess I'd pick Pittsburgh cause they're fun to watch. Their coach is classic...
Speaking of football, and my Super Bowl goal, roughly estimating, if I start my no beer challenge now, I could celebrate my completing the challenge at the party! Turns out the beer DH bought isn't the type I like to drink. So I should be able to resist. Oh, and after Reds little comment about craving beer when she thinks of me, well thanks for the inspiration!!!!! Now I am even more determined to do it!!!
I had to take another pause day on the exercise challenge so I think I've finished day 6. Not looking good for that one but I should be able to keep it going a little bit longer anyway. I bought a Runner's World mag and Shape too, looking for inspiration, but it looks like I may have wasted some money there.
Still no cat here, we went out and bought more FISH for one of our tanks. DH is not excited about getting another cat, so I guess we'll just suprise him when he gets home There should be a cat smilie. And to be fair, a dog.
Boy, I've rambled on long enough. Here's to a good week!
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #6  
Exercise Queen

Red- The Steelers and the Seahawks are in different divisions. Yes they could play each other in the Superbowl, but they both have one more game to get through before then.

Challenge update I had to use one of my "earned" pause days for two of my challenges yesterday. Today I am definetly back on track.

A(-1/1) Water Challenge- Day 13 *PAUSE*
B(-1/2) SB1 Challenge- Day 12 *PAUSE*
C(2/3) The Firm Challenge- Day 15(counting today already)
stagemomx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #7  
Never give up

Smile decision day...

Good morning all. Glad to see some of you found the new thread. It's out early for me again here. No time to write at length. Gotta figure out what my challenges will be...until then I'll just do everything right!

By the way, stage, what is an "earned" pause day? We only have regular pause days here, nothing is carried over from a previous challenge if that's what you were thinking....I hope not!
Old 01-16-2006, 05:01 PM   #8  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Whee, new thread. So I'm posting my challenges again:

1. No sweets & 10 mins stationary bike (level 3, no free days left)
Completed Day 14 yesterday, Jan 16th and I already did the biking this morning.

2. Exercises for thighs and abs (level 2, one pause day left)
Completed Day 9 yesterday.

3. Fruit eating challenge (level 1, one pause day left)
Completed day 7 yesterday.

My Ashtanga Yoga started again yesterday, and I'm embarassed by the weakness of my arms and upper body in general... so I think actually am going to start with some weights... And start with running again, as I said, I've decided I'll do rope skipping on days when I don't have enough time to go for a run. Will start this one as soon as I know my work schedule for the next few weeks.

Good day!
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #9  
Exercise Queen

Cool

Did I read the rules wrong I thought you earned an extra pause day for every 21 day challenge you had successfully completed? Heading back to check rules now.

Here's the rule I was thinking of-

" You get ONE "pause day" for your first challenge and one more for each perfect round of 21 days you complete up to a maximum of three days."

Did this rule get voided by the use of "levels?"

Last edited by stagemomx3; 01-16-2006 at 05:20 PM.
stagemomx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:13 AM   #10  
Never give up

Exclamation recheck the rules when starting new threads.....

Stage! I understand your dilemma!! I couldn't understand where you had that from! Yes, of course, you were using the OLD RULES, which you would be if your challenge was still going when I started a new thread, which it most likely would be, and then you must have started up this challenge forgetting or not realizing there had been a rule change. So, my apologies, but yes, the rules have changed BUT those rules are only in effect for any challenges started up after the rule change. I had totally forgotten that we used to do things that way! You see, the short-term memory is already showing signs of deterioration!!

!! So, everyone, when you make any new challenges, go back to the first post of the thread and read the rules!! Any rules you need to know will always been written in full at the beginning of each new thread. !!

This rule change has been in effect for a long time now so I don't know if there is any other confusion. Yes, the earned pauses got voided by levels AND just because we were going so long that it didn't seem right to have things always the same for oldtimers or too difficult for newcomers. With the levels, you can decide if you want to be tough on yourself or not, which I thought was a good thing to have right from the start.

But, stage, since you were innocently following the old rules, you go right on following them of course for the rest of your challenge!!!Good luck!
Old 01-17-2006, 02:27 AM   #11  

Water: Day 16 done.
No wine: Day 1 done.
No chocs: Day 1.
Even tho the exercise challenge is long gone, today was spin class - 1 hour high-intensity cardio.

Apple, maybe you're really buying those fish so newcat will have something for snacks once he/she comes into your life? heh-heh... So are you telling us you're actually going to give the beer challenge a try? Golly, if Red's not careful, she'll end up beng the only practicing lush left on this thread! As for that mold and mildew, I do think it's a good idea to keep the baby out of that room. I'd be worried that too much exposure to damp might trigger problems with allergies and asthma. With any luck the dehumidifier will help.

Stage, you lucky dog you! Red is being very lenient with you. When some of us screw up, she administers public spankings and what not. Quite titillating for celibate souls like yours truly, but still...

Sushi, it's great to see you don't have that disclaimer any more about your ticker not being a true reflection of your weight! You're doing so well.

Only 5 hours before I have to get up for work, and still not ready for sleep. I think there'll be a few tough days until I get over my holiday lag (sort of like jet lag only I didn't get to go anywhere). It might be easier if the cats weren't using the bed as a springboard as part of their nightly play time, as well as wandering around yowling and chirping and basically making nuisances of themselves.. And yes, Apple, we DO need a cat smilie!
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

And so it is - Monday night.

First I will announce my challenges... You know in my work-life my job is to design solutions based on performed analysis of current situation and past data. My mind just thinks and functions that way, so here I am finished analysing my failutres and ready for a new try, but of course with a modification!

A:food (Level 3) - No food after 7:30. Except if active for three hours before bedtime OR went to the gym that night! Ex1: I went to the gym and came home at 8pm, ok to cook and eat dinner right away...Ex2: Came home late at 8pm w/o working out, and once ate set with a laptop motionless, not ok!
B:water (Level 3) - 3 bottles of water
C: excercise (Level 3) - daily some kind of serious excercise, such as gym or prolonged hike/walk....(3h minimum for non gym excercise)

Today is Jan. 16, 2006.
A: Food (3) - Day 1 (Dec. 16) Done
B: H2O (3) - Day 1 (Dec. 16) Done
C: Gym (3) - Day 1 (Dec. 16) Done
============ bottom line I worked really hard. I am tired muscells hurt...

Now about me: no the case of the blues have not been curied. Perhaps it never will really go away. Right now I feel like expressing my thoughs (where to more...I already take up pages...but oh well) so here it goes.
Today at the gym I caught myself again about thinking of the little things: I was changing after work into my gym clothing as part of my new trials to workout before driving home (though I pass by my house on the way to the gym). As I stood there I saw two women change, wrap themselves in towels and head to the showers. So I though to myself how I hate taking showers outside of my own. Then I turned and saw them walking away, and then this litle thing jumped into my mind...Could it be that I am affraid of the walls? Granted I sometime feel very cramped inside toilet stall. If I know the place is not very sanitary, I will always go for the Handicaped one... Then I thought about dirty flow and liking to dry off completely my hair and then getting sick.. All great, but than a reality sinked in..I thought of their towels, that's what originally caught my attention. It's a little thing, I just want to be able to wrap myself in a towel. I can right now but I bought a huge beach towel for that. It felt painful not to be able to do it...Like I said it is the little things.

Red, before I forget - do send me your number. I will call you sometimes. I promise.
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:00 AM   #13  

Now about my new ticker! Denver Trip.
I've been there before, and it was nice.
one of my close friends lives and works there, so I visited him back then.
Over two years now my very best moved to Denver, and perhaps soon he will have to move somewhere else as his company got bought by Segate. Before both of them move or do anything I must take this oportunity of a visit
The plan is for President's day. So that's just a few days after Valentines Day, and yes we will do Valentine like gifts. I cannot wait to see my very best friend especially. Being around him is great, but tough he cooks, dances, dresses does everything with such care and charm.
The plan is to hike, play in the snow, visit hot springs, go out dancing and be plain silly just like 5 years ago in college. They are both supportive and worry, so I want to give them a surprise, 248 would mark a 23 pound loss, and would be the lowers number I've been since my college graduation. They both saw me for labor day, and 6 month later they could see a difference. This gives me 24 days (21 + 3 pause days) for my challenges and then some!
Hard times are around 27-31st of this month, as I am traveling and my very close friend turns 30. Wish me luck...I guess.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:03 AM   #14  

ess, where have you been?
I wanted to tell you, that on dec 14 last year I smoke my last cig, it's been a month w/o them and I don't even miss it. Seriously, I perhaps feel like one when I see a movie and everyone smokes, I want to be like them, but no I won't. Why? because I know that will effect the breathing I am working so hard on during cardio eliptical excercises. My ex has challenged me to go a year w/o one. I don't know I did not promise, but it might just happen. I won't use it for nothing, but when I see my best friend, I might take one as well as another one from him this summer when we go for our friends' wedding. Other than that I plan none whatsoever. Though I wonder I might get stingy next December and never buy another pack in my life.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:05 AM   #15  
Never give up

Cool putting off getting it off....

Hi all. I am just sitting here contemplating making a sandwich. I was so tired and yucky feeling I lay down for a nap. Now, it's dark out. But I do feel better. You know, oddly enough, I felt very motivated to get this fat off once and for all as I was lying there dozing. I very appropriately had a burst of resolve and determination just before dozing off. But, perhaps a bit will stick around for me to find. I guess there is no "once and for all" unless I sew my mouth shut, but the fact that I am still chunky when I don't want to be chunky is nothing more than procrastination. I am sick of it and sick of myself for being so stuck. Stuck in her ways, I hate that saying, makes me sound as old as I am, but basically, that's what it comes down to. Ah, heck, I think it's just a little bit more till I get it ALL together and keep it together long enough to get this excess off. Let's hope. It would be so cool to ride past the arena mirror and actually like what I saw. When I was a kid I used to sit in front of the mirror all the time, I sooooo liked to look at myself. Talk about narcissistic, eh?! I guess I have been paying for it ever since.

CBETA -- You have achieved liftoff!! Hurrah! And Wow, a triple whammy megapost!! Again, don't apologize for writing long. I think it's great and if anyone doesn't think so, she can just hit the scroll button. Well, to me, all the things you said about dirty showers had me icking out but you think it's the towel thing, eh? Well, I wouldn't worry about that. You got the big towel. Use it! Besides, when you're all lithe and lean you are going to be strutting around totally buff, totally in the buff. Who needs a towel?! Then again, I forget you're in the land of modesty. You can come here and bathe in group baths, mixed ones too! No, really, I know what you're saying, but don't dwell on it. You'll be there soon enough, where you want to be. And great going on the sore muscles! That's good hurting! And OK, I will send you my numbers. It'd be neat to chat. I hope, of course, that this is company money! Your Denver trip sounds fun. You can be pounds lighter by then if you put your mind to it. Good luck! And a big hand for quitting smoking. They say the physical addiction is totally gone after four weeks so it sounds like you're out of the woods. Be careful to not get cocky though thinking you can just have one or something. That's what's dangerous and what can get you back smoking again. They say the psychological cues to smoke still hang around for about a year. So, be careful!

carla -- "The only practicing lush" on the thread?!!? What the...?!?! Now, you're making me want to reach for that Sapporo Black Label all the more! I will blame it on you. And yes, I was being lenient with Stage but that doesn't mean I am going to be lenient with anyone else!! So, I really expect you to do things totally by the book for a change, or you will be in for another spanking, or even perhaps a whipping! Though I must say you did well with your triple challenge today! And an hour spinning!? Wow! Great going!

Sushi -- You're really doing well too. Putting me to shame, you are. I was going to start today, and, as of yet, I haven't...oh, no...I did have some sugar...I was going to say, I didn't do anything that I think would break a challenge. I could start up something still...but I was just feeling pretty bad today and think I want to make a fresh start tomorrow.

Apple -- Got to you, did I? I guess it's a good thing, eh? But, just for the record, it wasn't so much thinking of you that made me want to drink, it was that you talk about beer a lot and that's what made me want to drink, and how you always want to stop, but....uh-oh, I think I'm digging the hole deeper.... Hope you get that mold under control. I have that problem in the summer here but not too bad. A humidifier will probably help, that and keeping the air moving, a fan or so when you're not there. That keeps the mold off the tack at the riding club in the summer. They keep a fan blowing on the saddles and bridles or they would just spring mold! Well, I think your choice of football teams to root for is an excellent one! It certainly puts you in my good books! You must know that once a Pittsburgher, always a Pittsburgher, and if you are a Pittsburgher you are a loyal Steelers fan. For eternity! It's inborn. Sadly, I don't know the players or coach now. I am from the Terry Bradshaw, Iron Curtain, Lynn Swan etc. era, back in the 70s, which is really where my American experience is arrested, which is probably a good thing, or I would likely have been. I hope your husband is okay with his job. It sounds very stressful to be held accountable for the performance of others. If I could just get some room in my room I would be better for an exercise challenge. As it is, there is barely room to lie down and do crunches. Sigh. Well, good luck on your challenges. What was your exercise challenge again?

Last edited by redballoon; 01-17-2006 at 04:42 AM.