YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Nail lady, isn't eating out the worst. It is such a tempting environment for me and one that sometimes turns into an out of control freight train (a freight train that coincidentally is full of buttered rolls). My biggest suggestion is to try to plan what you will eat ahead of time. A lot of places have nutrition information/menu online. I think the book has some suggestions about what to order at different types of restaurants. You also need to remember that because you aren't making the food yourself, you won't know exactly what goes into it. You just have to do your best and mostly try to avoid the over-eating that is so easy to do when eating out. I think that the next time I go out to eat I'm going to write myself a committment before hand about what I will and will not eat. Eating out is SO hard for me. By the way congrats on your weight loss to date, you are doing really great!

It is funny, I was looking at the picture that's with my profile. It is actually from awhile back when I was using this site. The baby in the picture, Cole, is now 3 and I have another baby, Juliet, who turns 1 this Saturday. Sadly I'm still carrying around the extra 30 lbs from back then, with an additional 20 (thank you babies).
Old 12-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #32  

Height: 5'8"

Jessi~Yes, eating out is extremely difficult for me. This restaurant that we will be going to is fairly new and I have never been there, so that leaves me at quite a disadvantage. I think that I will stick to a grilled chicken and see about some steamed veggies. The hard part will be avoiding the bread and desert.....This first dinner is our Library board christmas party, so dining with all of the ladies from there could make it tough for me to behave, but I am going to do my best! I just need to keep reminding myself exactly what my reasons are for wanting to be healthier!

Yesterday I made the error of having a sub on white bread, (had lunch at my boys school) that was a boo-boo for me in many ways. I know better and I have had some abdominal pain that we (me & Doc) cannot get to the cause of. Last night, that pain was pretty intense and I have to say that it has me wondering if it is something specific to the bread. Since reading the book, I have been avoiding breads with the enriched and bleached flours and high fructose corn syrup and have not had the pain, but then I go and eat a white sub roll and bam! Pain returns......I don't think it is a coincidence..... Guess I will have to bring it up to Dr next visit. He has tested me for food allergies, I wonder if that would include any intollerances too???? Have to check on it.

Well, hope you all have a great and healthy day!
Darcy
Old 12-08-2006, 01:39 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 244/238/190/150

I am into the book now, need to do the shopping and kitchen clean up-and start the walking...I am ready to join you all also--I am encouraged that there is many of us trying it and seeing results.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #34  
JPS

S/C/G: 220/195/150

Height: 5'1.5"

Default I just bought the book

but have not read it yet. From what you all are saying, I think it is worth it....My question, before I even read the book (how bad is that) is, are you hungry? I don't do well at all when I'm fighting hunger, which seems to be all the time. Could use some input. Thanks.

Joan
Old 12-08-2006, 11:04 PM   #35  
GmaTo8

Joan - from one Hoosier to another, I can honestly say that when following the program as written, I have not been hungry. This comes in part from the slow release of complex carbs, plenty of protein, good fats, and healthy snacks between meals, and exercise. I've had lots more energy, too.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #36  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

hey all. Joining in as I'll be getting the book this coming Friday and doing the clean up of the kitchen and cupboards over the weekend after. alot of what I've heard/seen mentioned are things I've been trying to do anyways, get into a routine of eating every three hours, kicking the sugars, refined flours and other chemicals, and daily cardio exercise. I can't wait to get started.i've been stagnant at my current weight for over two months and it's driving me nuts..
Old 12-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #37  

Height: 5'8"

Mkat~I am where you are, only I have been haulted here for over a year now! I have to admit that I have not been really pushing myself for the past year, so the reason for my plateau is my own fault...just laziness I guess. I have been gaining and losing the same 5 lbs steadily and cannot seem to get below 175. I am hoping that this will be the answer for me, now if I can only stay away from those *bad for you* ingredients, maybe I will see the progress I need to get me back into some serious losing!
Darcy
Old 12-15-2006, 06:59 PM   #38  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

did I kill the thread? where & how is everyone?
Old 12-16-2006, 12:07 AM   #39  
Zen master

S/C/G: 283/265/210

Height: 6'5"

Mkat:

I noticed a lot of pople don't frequent this thread either?!? Makes it hard for us lurkers! (oops, guess i'm not one now).

Actually, I have a question that maybe someone can answer. I lost approx. 20 pound in the course of the month (as far as my doc can see, it's been a healthy loss). Problem is, I can't see where! Jeans fit a little better, but nothing amazing. I woudl think that being -20, I woudl be able to see some difference?
Old 12-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #40  
WW Moderator

Did you take measurements? Thighs and calves hold excess fat and water. Plus you can look at your backside and see if you look a little more smoothed out.
Congrats on your weight loss! Have you been following YOU all month?
Old 12-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #41  

Just checking in. I've been MIA on vacation and then playing catch up at work. If you want to know how well this eating plan works, I'll tell you. I didn't gain a single pound while on vacation 8 days in Mexico at an all inclusive surrounded by buffets. I still had one too many Dos Equis and had a dessert every now and then, but the book made me smart enough to have eggs for breakfast, salad and veggies for lunch, and smart dinners. That and I refused to give up my 30+ minute workout every day. The rest of my family came home with an extra five pounds or so.

I took a week off from exercise after coming back because I got my wisdom teeth out, but I'm back to the treadmill and Bowflex and have my fridge fully loaded with easy meals so I don't give in to holiday goodies. Feels good to be in control for the first time in my life.

As far as eating out, I occaisionally splurge and make up for it with exercise. I try to stick to soups, salads, and grilled items, but I can't pass up a bite of tirimisu or breaded mushroom if it comes around. Moderation seems to work.

One thing I've found in the grocery store are South Beach Diet meals. They fit in the YOU guidelines in most cases and are a great convenience lunch. My husband and I either have convenience meals or eat out for lunch so these are great to grab in a hurry.

I'm bound and determined to go down a size in the next month. I'm hoping to get pregnant then so this is my last chance to work hard and lose waist!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #42  
Move it and lose it!!

S/C/G: 243/238/170

Height: 5'10"

Hey guys!! I plan on picking up the book today and hopefully read enough tonight to get started!!

It so good to read about a program that really works!
Old 12-20-2006, 11:16 PM   #43  
WW Moderator

She-Mullett, congrats on the vacation weight!! You are doing great, I'm so happy for you!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:56 AM   #44  
Zen master

S/C/G: 283/265/210

Height: 6'5"

Default 2 qick questions for the mods

Any way we poor YOU people could get a sticky? And possibly a recipe link for this forum?

It's a battle searching all over for YOU related stuff, and it would be nice to have a central clearing house for YOU recipes either here or in the food section

Just a thought!

Jourdain
Old 12-21-2006, 08:31 AM   #45  
WW Moderator

The thread is now stuck, great idea! As far as making a new forum, that will definitely happen if/when this area gets busy. We'll keep an eye on it and when we get to that point then we'll make the change. Sometimes it hurts to make a new forum too soon - if there isn't a lot of traffic then sometimes people pass it up. I think this is a great plan, and it could potentially be one of the busiest forums at 3FC!
Closed Thread