YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:56 PM   #16  
GmaTo8

Jennifer - Dr. Oz said your waist measurement should be no larger than 1/2 of your height, instead of a flat "no larger than 32 1/2 inches". Good news for taller gals like me. Not that I'll ever see THAT measurement, either.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Hi I'm new, just jumping in because I think I'm going to be doing this plan and I'm excited to get started. I did see
Old 12-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Sorry, I started to post and then my baby came over and started pounding on the key board, she accidentally sent my message unfinished.

What I was going to say is I have scanned the book, watched the Docs on Oprah, and looked through the web site, so I think I have a bit of a clue of what I'm doing, ummm...maybe.

What I have done to start is figure out all the snacks and meals I'm going to eat except for dinner. The idea of automating meals really appealed to me because I'm really busy. I picked things that I would not mind eating over and over, and if I get sick of something I'll just change it out. I'll leave dinner open so that I can has SOME excitement in my day. The things that I've planned are super nutritious, include 8 servings of fruit and vegetables, and are very easy to make.

I'm excited because I think this will really help. I also went on fitday.com and figured out the calories of my planned meals and I left about 500 calories for dinner. This way I don't spend all day counting calories.

Anyway, gotta go. Goodluck all!
Old 12-02-2006, 08:03 AM   #19  

hello everyone!

jessie- sounds like you are off to a good start, i do the same with b-fast lunch and snacks it works out really well for me too. welcome to the thread!

hi wip welcome back!! good for you getting some walking time in with such a busy schedule.

eating thin- i know eactly what you mean wbout the honemoon stage, i haven't had that yet in the 4 weeks i have been working on this plan. i did go off track a bit for the holidays but just hopped right back on after. good luck finding what works for you.

this past week went well for me, i really am thinking of this as more of a lifestyle thing than a diet. my evergy is through the roof. hope you are all doing well!!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:58 PM   #20  
GmaTo8

Jessi - cute baby!

Jodi - I agree with what you said about having so much energy. It's unbelievable how much better I feel when I'm following the program as written, including the exercise.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:21 AM   #21  

Height: 5'8"

Good morning ladies! I hope you don't mind me just jumping right in here!

I have read through most of the You book and it is amazing how simple changes can really make such a difference! I have been much more careful about what foods I am eating and even buying. I take the couple of extra minutes to check the ingredients before it goes into my cart now. Now that I have been checking those labels, I know which foods to avoid completely and which ones I can just grab and run with.

I think that The Single most shocking food item for me was Yogurt. I had NO idea that SOOO many yogurts had HFCS in them. Our local grocery store did not have a single one without it (and they carry SO many different brands)!! I ended up going to a Wegman's (45 min away) and finding one there. Then, I took it upon myself to inform our local market that it would be great if they could carry it and what do you know??? Now they do!

I have to agree with you Jodi, my energy levels skyrocketed within a day of cutting out the enriched flour and High fructose corn syrup and when I do eat something that has them in it, I FEEL it! So, avoiding them is the answer for me, I love the extra energy, so do DH & the kids and my house has not been cleaner!!

After reading the book, I have tried so many foods that I would have never tried on my own. I now LOVE Pepperoncini's!! The Greek Salad is so wonderful, I made that for my mom and I one night and that recipe alone sold her on the book! She ran right out and bought her own copy! Has anyone read the You: The Owners Manual? I have that too and there is a recipe for Pasta E Fagiole soup in the book that is unbelievable! Yum!

Thanks for letting me ramble! Have a great day!
Darcy
Old 12-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #22  
Eleny

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Hello I just bought the "YOU" book . I like what I have read so far. I really like using measurements instead of pounds . I need to change my ticker because instead of pounds I want to lose inches .

How is everyone else doing?
Old 12-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #23  
wip

Height: 5' 10"

Hi folks. How's everyone doing? I can't say I'm doing well all the time - evening seem to be the crunch. During the day I work and squeeze in time at the gym. Home is chaos with 3 kids (7,6,2). Supper seems to be the start of the slippery slope. How is everyone feeding their families? It certainly has changed how I shop. It takes me forever, but I read all the labels. Don't always stick with what I should, but my choices are much better. Even for the kids. On the Canada AM show he talked about cleaning out the kitchen and throwing out the stuff vs. giving to a food bank. He said "you don't want to kill those people do you?". I think of that statement when I look at something I know my kids would like but isn't good for them. I've read bits and pieces of the book. I need to enlist DH.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #24  

Default Good morning

Good morning everyone... I would like to join you if this is the right spot.
I bought the book a few weeks ago and decided today is the day to start. I had a baby 6 months ago and am now even more over my goal weight than before and need to do something about it asap. I am feeling very uncomfortable in my own skin. So just thought I'd introduce myself and good luck to all.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 152/145.5/125

Hi everyone,
I am on day 5 and made it through the dreaded day 3. I believe that eating the same breakfast and lunch has helped, and my cravings are no where near as strong. Posting on this board and reading about your experiences and your hints has made it easier.
Darcy - If you can find Greek yogurt, it's thick and creamyand tastes great. I buy it plain lowfat or fat free and add fruit and nuts.
Jodi - I know what you mean about the walking. I'm lucky to have a exercise buddy. It helps to make a committment to meet someone for a walk or at the gym.

Good luck to everyone.
Enjoy the evening!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:04 AM   #26  

Eating thin~I will look for the greek yogurt, thanks for the tip. Right now we are eating the Stoneyfield farms all natural french vanilla, it was the only one I found without the HFCS. For DH, I add frozen fruit to it and by the time lunch rolls around the fruit has thawed, he really likes it.
Where abouts in NY are you? I am upstate, about 45 miles north of Syracuse in Snow Country. We have about a foot on the ground now and it is still coming down!
I am having a little difficulty being good today, pms-ing, so I need to work on the dedication. I just know that if I can get these unnatural things out of my body I will not have the cravings I am having....I've done it before and I can do it again!
Have a great day
Darcy
Old 12-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #27  
WW Moderator

About the greek yogurt - I can eat lowfat by itself, but the plain seems really sour! I've tried to strain my own but it doesn't come out with the same consistency. Also, it's Fage and widely manufactured and I'd rather eat organic dairy. Does anybody here strain their own yogurt?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 152/145.5/125

Hi Everyone.

Darcy~ I buy the Fage at A&P or Trader Joe's, but if you have a Traders Joe's Market in the area they carry their brand that's just as good.
I live in Putnam County, about 1 hour north of NYC. We haven't had any snow yet. One of my daughters went to Cornell so I'm aware of how cold and snowy it can get. And you're even farther north. Hope you are warm and safe.

Good luck to everyone
Enjoy the evening.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:19 AM   #29  

I'm back. Read the whole book, got started and havent seen alot of results altho my energy is up there. I DID call my dr to see if I could change blood pressure medication as the 1 I'm on is a beta blocker and thought maybe I would have a little better luck. Unfortunately, the story I got was that since I'm NOT on it so much to lower my blood pressure (which was/is very low even the day I had the mild heart attack or MI in his words), once you've had an MI its imperative that you take a beta blocker. I found that kind of depressing, since after seeing Doc on Oprah, he made mention of that again - halting weight loss and even causing weight gain. Anyone heard anything like that ? I'm going to try to step up the exercise some and see if that will compensate for it. Otherwise, hope everyone has a good week !
Old 12-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #30  

Eating Thin~We do not have a Trader Joe's or A&P in my area. I am not sure it they have them in Syracuse or not, but I have to take my little guy back to the Dr on Fri, I will check on it.

How does everyone handle eating out??? I know that there areSO many issues with that, being that the ingredients themselves are kind of out of our control. I have 2 christmas parties to contend with in the next week and while I will beable to order my dinners, I am still concerned with what to have. I need to build up my willpower because I KNOW that there will be breads on the tables before dinner and as you all know, they are usually white breads OR they will be brown, but not whole grain and will probably have HFCS in them for sweetness. I guess that I just need to start telling myself now that I will not be having them.....

I would definately appreciate any advise you all have on eating out!
Darcy
Closed Thread