Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 04:19 PM   #16  

Height: 5'7"

Pam: Enjoy Mamma Mia! I saw it while I was in London at the beginning of March. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the music. I have to admit that the music is from my junior year of high school so it brought back lots of memories
Old 03-30-2004, 05:20 PM   #17  
si, si signora

Hi all --

Hi Pam, nice to meet you.

Just went home at lunch to walk the old boy. He's sooo stiff in the mornings, so we are now going home at lunch and walking him. He walks slowly, but deliberately. It was nice to see the hood in the light. Looks like its going to be a great lilac year.

I have never seen mamma mia. Everytime I'm in London I say I will and never do. I did see chitty chitty bang bang on Boxing day. That was fun.

I have scarfed down lots of protein today and now I'm dying for something sweet. Argh. My office mates box of after eight orange mints are calling me, but I gave up chocolate for Lent, so I'll just breathe and maybe go get a cup of coffee and eat a mozz. stick.

Tonight I am making mahi mahi tacos. I just marinated the mahi mahi in lemon juice and a bit of olive oil. Yum.

Susan -- I think its okay to tan to get a base, its those tanorexics that concern me. I usually do three 20 min sessions at the beginning of the summer and then one 15 min every 10 days to boost it. I also bought a nice shimmer lotion from clarins last summer. That gives a nice glow -- its not a self tanner, but a an oil.

Domina -- Sounds like you are quite the thespian. I hope you feel better. Did I tell you that I am starting golf lessons next month?

off to the wars..

lala
Old 03-31-2004, 08:15 AM   #18  

Height: 6'0"

It's very pretty here today, sunny and the birds are singing (whoops)
It's getting closer to my trip to Nashville. I'm looking forward to seeing my friend. She's in the Air Force and will retire later this year, but now she's afraid that she won't find a job on the outside. That's a valid concern in today's economy. My voice is almost totally back.

I made a new soup I found the recipe either here or on dwlz.com. It's 1 point per cup and very good. DH said it was a keeper recipe, too. Just take a soup pot, throw in 2 pounds of frozen vegetables, 3 cans of chicken broth, 10 oz. light Velveeta and 1 can of Rotel tomatoes. Bring to a boil and when cheeze is melted, it's ready to eat!

Okay, I need your help. In a few weeks, DH and I are going to a birthday party for a 90-year-old guy. I am stumped for a gift. He is very active, golfs 3 days a week and has a real wit (also a bit of a flirt ) Any ideas, lifers?

Susan, good for you staying OP.

Pam, I've heard nothing but good things about "Mamma Mia." Let us know what you think of it.

lala, I'm glad to hear your weather is shaping up.

I must close for now.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:54 AM   #19  

Good morning.

I now have two OP days under my (bulging) belt. I got a nice 8 km run in last night; my sister and I caved on the hill clinic at the last minute and decided to run in our neighbourhood instead while the sun was still up. We challenged ourselves at the end with a steep hill up to my home. She made it all the way, and I did about 3/4 before I tanked. That's real progress for us.

I'm journalling, drinking lots of water and staying away from junk food. I plan to stay busy this week and hopefully that stick-to-itness will kick in at some point.

Domina: Have you been to Nashville before? A friend of ours was there in the fall and still raves about it. And he doesn't even like country music! Regarding your 90-year-old friend. If he's a flirt, why not give him 2 tickets to something - a movie, dinner for two, perhaps something with a golf theme. He might be able to get a date out of it

lala: Your fish tacos sound delish. We seldom see mahi mahi in these parts, at least not fresh stuff. I enjoy it very much when we visit Maui. BTW, how old is Jacques?

Pam: I saw Mamma Mia in Toronto in February and thoroughly enjoyed it. In answer to your question, we leave for Cuba two weeks from tomorrow. My sister still hasn't received her passport so we're a little concerned about that, but I have a feeling things will work out.

Melissa: I finished the day with points to spare yesterday, and didn't touch the 6 activity points I earned. I hope to see some movement on the scale on the weekend; it will give me incentive to keep going. The challenge now is not to jump on the scale too often; don't want to discouraged.

We're invited to a murder mystery/dinner party on Saturday night. I play an artist ala pierced flesh, streaked hair, tattoos, etc. It's been a hoot collecting things for my costume. Can't wait to see it all come together!
Old 03-31-2004, 12:08 PM   #20  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Its beautiful here today and I am inside. Actually I am leaving in a bit for my 39K doctor's check up. I am doing a whole physical. I hope it goes smoothly. I guess I should bring something to do while waiting....

I did okay yesterday, stuck pretty much to fastrack, but did have a blip of a spicy (not sweet) chai latte, so it at least had milk. I need something sweet and am trying to find something that 1. is not chocolate 2. not too sugary 3.not too high in points.

Susan -- you still did marvellously by getting out there and running. The mahi mahi tacos were sort of a disaster as I got sidetracked with something and came back into a smoky kitchen. They were past blackened, but I managed to salvage some. I get the mahi mahi frozen from trader joes.

Jacques is still really stiff in the am and it took 15 minutes this am to get him to get up and go out. Its like having a teenager. Once he was out he wanted to walk, but I had no bags and the door was wide open.

Melissa -- how goes it?

Domina -- I would think that something golfy would be good. If he doesn't belong to a club, could you splurge and get him green fees somewhere? Or, some new balls or a really good bottle of scotch? I know that older folks don't need more clutter, that is for sure. I wish I could give you some Nashville advice, I went once while my bro was doing his fellowship at Vanderbilt. I liked it, we went to a couple of clubs, drove to Muscle Shoals and Tupelo and were swarmed by cicadas. Things are not that exciting in Milwaukee that is for sure.

Hi Pam !

Oh Susan -- you should see if sis can get her passport expedited. If you tickets in hand, you should be able to get it ASAP....

Okay, off to fill out travel voucher...

lala
Old 03-31-2004, 03:04 PM   #21  

Hi everyone! The weather continues to be cool (39) & gray...it's so hard to get motivated! I'm hoping the weekend will be better.

Domina: DH just came back from Nashville--he enjoyed it and the weather was warm (83) compared to our cool temps. I love that soup! I make it quite a bit and store it in containers to take to work.

Susan: Good for you for having to 2 OP days under your belt!! That's great! You're right to not jump on the scale to see where you're at. You may need to eat a couple of your activity points but see what happens the first week and then go from there. You can do it!!!

Lala: Things are going okay here--we're heading into our busy time and it's the time of year I have a love/hate relationship with work. The days go by fast but the tedium of some of the jobs drive me nuts. BTW, would you like your books back that you sent me?

Pam: Hi!

Here's a link to a page that someone posted on the WW board:

http://www.imakenews.com/bioanalogic...e000075548.cfm

Nothing else major going on here--I went to my meeting today at noon and was up 1#; no surprise there since TOM is just departing. Next week will be better.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:19 PM   #22  

I was in Nashville last year when DH ran the Country Music Marathon. This time I'd like to see some of the old homes or something like that. Of course, there's Opry Mills (mall). Mainly I want to visit with my friend.

Susan, it's great that you have two days going!! Stay off that scale; I usually weigh myself once a week. Thanks for the gift ideas.

lala, eeew burnt fish. Thanks for the gift ideas.

Melissa, I had not heard about that soup before. I really liked it. Thanks for the link to that very informative article. It's so true.

Hi, Pam.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:31 PM   #23  

Hello Everyone,

Rainy and yucky here today so I guess its good to be stuck inside working, but I'm sure there are more productive things I could be doing at home!!

Hi Melissa Sounds like we're about the same age...I fondly remember ABBA from my high school days also I completely understand your love/hate relationship with work... I have one of those relationships also. We are still working on our budget process and you talk about tedious...it is excrutiatingly painful at times..

Domina That soup recipe sounds delicious, I'm definitely going to give it a try this week. I wish I had more suggestions on the gift, but I am in agreement with everyone else..either a gift certificate to a restaraunt or perhaps some golf equipment. That's terrific that he is still "active" at his age. Hope you and DH enjoy the party.

Susan Sounds like you and your sister had a good workout last night. That passport problem is a little concerning hope she gets it worked out soon! Cuba is an interesting vacation destination..have you ever been?

Lala What type of dog is Jacques? That name brought back memories for me. My grandparents, both French Canadian had an adorable Poodle named Jacques. Good luck with your check up today.

Well time to get going. Off to get the hair cut and colored!!! Always makes me feel better!!

Pam
Old 03-31-2004, 06:13 PM   #24  
si, si signora

Pam --
Jacques is a basset hound. He was named by my partner's father as it was his dog. His complete name is Jacques Cartier de Morbier. Jacques Cartier the famous french explorer of Canada and de morbier after his favorite cheese. Her father was an urban geographer with a deep love of Canada and cheese.

Have fun with your hair. I'm leaving to get a pawdicure myself.

lala
Old 04-01-2004, 07:56 AM   #25  

It's a little cooler here this morning, but the sun's shining. Now we're having brush fires here because it's been so dry. Melissa, send some of your rain our way.

I'm so mad at myself, but I've decided that weight gain is contagious!! I got on the scale and I've gained two pounds. I've been drinking my water and exercising, so I was looking at food choices. I've been hitting the Chex Mix again (Melissa knows about this). I know part of my problem is the salt in that stupid mix. I wonder why I bought the mix?

I'm headed to Nashville tomorrow morning early. I can't wait to see my friend. She was supposed to be OP again and I hope to see her thinner.

Pam, I agree with you. I like getting my hair done.

lala, what a great name for a dog. How was your physical?

Hi, Susan and Melissa.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:21 AM   #26  

Good morning! Domina, I would love to send the rain your way! It's still misty & gray this morning (36)--they're hoping for this front to move out by the weekend. One can only hope!

Pam: I graduated in '80 and will be 42 in June--where does the time go???

Lala: Hope the physical went well!

Domina: I do the same thing (buying chips) when I know they're only going to cause me grief later on. If you still have some left pawn it off to someone or else hide it really, really good. Drink lots of water! I'm working on staying on track this week.

Not too much else happening around here--my allergies/sinuses are suffering from all this rain/moisture--molds are abundant! I do notice though that the grass is getting a little greener and am I'm seeing more sprouts of flowers around.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:08 AM   #27  

Good Rainy Morning Everyone,

Yup, we're getting rain right through the weekend. Yuck I hate this weather, cold (39) and rainy. Time for a vacation to somewhere warm!!

Melissa, we are exactly the same age, I turned 42 a few weeks ago. I agree time really goes by quickly. My daughter is in high school, and it seems like just yesterday that I was .

Lala what a cute story on Jacques name. My daughter is really bugging me about getting another dog. We currently are down to one cat (Chloe) and it is kind of nice.

Domina hope you enjoy the visit with your friend in Nashville.

Hi to Susan, hope you are having an OP day. I know I'm trying, but as I'm typing my stomach is growling!!

Take care ...

Pam
Old 04-01-2004, 11:18 AM   #28  

lala: I love that your Jacques has roots in Canada! Does he play hockey??

Pam: This will be my first visit to Cuba. I am going with one of my sisters (not the runner) who has never been south before. To tell you the truth, I don't much like all-inclusive vacations - much too restrictive. But everyone tells me that the warmth of the Cuban people and the safety of the country will make this different. We went to the Dominican Republic a few years ago, and we'll never return. Felt like a prisoner on the resort grounds. And really disliked the "animation" guy and his little whistle

Melissa: You and Pam are just babies. Talk about time flying..I'm going to hit the big 5-0 in June and can hardly believe it. ABBA wasn't one of my favourite groups in high school but I did secretly like their music. I was more the hard rock, head-banging type

Domina: Don't be too hard on yourself, but do get rid of the mix. I have that problem with potato chips, peanuts etc. - anything salty. Just can't have them in the house because they call my name until I've eaten the whole bag/box/whatever.

Had another good OP day yesterday. Was out the door at 6 a.m. thing morning to run 5 km before work. I feel great and am driving my office mate crazy with my singing. Of course, I'll be asleep by 9 tonite

Have a great weekend folks. I'm off tomorrow, although I might check in from home.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:53 PM   #29  

Susan..When you were in the Dominican did you stay at Case De Campo by any chance. I went in 1992 and really did not enjoy it that much. The beach and the resort was nice, but I made the mistake of going on a day trip outside of the resort and it was just awful. The extreme poverty was unbelievable.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:20 PM   #30  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Its partly cloudy and breezy with a high of 58 today. I woke up Jacques this am and we went on a slow and stiff 20 minute snuffle down the block and back. Its amazing how many things are blooming. I should have started a load of laundry before leaving for work, then I could hang it out later.

Had a good yesterday, even went out for thai with a couple of work colleagues and manged to order something without coconut milk. It was two programmers that I work with and they were soo overgeeking with discussions of sqlserver reports and other database things that I finally decided that my time would be better spent at home. I think they went to Barnes and Noble afterwards to look at computer books. Boys will be boys.

Well ladies, I am the youngest of all of you so far at 39. I graduated in 82 and fondly remember Abba and all that. I was more of an alternative girl, I even dj'ed at the local college radio station. I still swoon when I hear Elvis Costello, Kate Bush and Siouxsie...

My doctor's appt was good. We spent lots of time talking, I seem to be healthy. I have to go in and do the glucose and cholestrol testing. I'll probably do it on Monday. She basically said to lose weight I'm going to have to increase my exercise by 500 cals or reduce my cals by 500 a day. I'll settle for a mix of the two. I am definitely needing to do a bit more reduction in the cals and another 15 mins a day of moderate to hard activity.

Ooops, I'll have to sign up for golf lessons today.

Went out yesterday and ported my phone number over from Sprint to ATT and added a phone to DP. It was free including the very spiff phones. I hope my number ports sooner than later.

Pam -- where in Western MA are you located? I have only really been to Amherst and Stockbridge. I was accepted at Holyoke, but didn't go. I visited a few years back and really kicked myself for not taking the plunge.

Susan -- keep on doing a great job.

Domina -- have fun in Nashvegas! Enjoy your friend.

Melissa -- I hope it warms up! Spring is here darnit!

Okay, I have lots to say, but I should save it for later...

lala
Closed Thread