Old 06-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #31  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryblue View Post
Id love to go vegetarian. I was driving on the highway the other day to work and a truck passed me with a bunch of adorable cows in it... and i knew where they were headed to. Made me really sad. I dont think anyone would ever eat meat if they knew what had to actually happen before it got to the grocery store. Pretty barbaric. I was just talking to my boyfriend about this the other day. I dont really eat beef anyhow, but i do eat chicken. So if i could just give up the chicken, i could do it! With the amount that i love animals its weird i am not a vege anyhow. I think i will try for a month and see what happens. I can do the protein shakes instead.
I grew up on a farm and as sad as it can sound, you learn to live with it and let it go... Although I was angry as **** when my dad sold the baby cow (who wasn't that baby anymore at this point) that I've been taking care of because his mom died when he was born. I did not talk to my dad for days.

We had chicken too, but I never felt bad about eating chicken. This is honestly the stupidest animal on hearth to me (just behind turkey) lol

I was born and raised eating meat with the family farm, I don,t think I'd be able to clear it from my meals... But I'm impressed of people who can
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 222/ 168/ STG 160/ LTG 145

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Jinksie- I kinda feel the same way about bacon, and steak, and all sort of seafood.. which is what makes this so hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryblue View Post
I dont think anyone would ever eat meat if they knew what had to actually happen before it got to the grocery store. Pretty barbaric.
Unfortunately I know many a male who don't give a rats rear about the barbarism- they just shrug and say, "oh well".. which irritates me to no end. I think if I could afford organic, local, meat from humanely-treated animals I would definitely go that route, because like I said above- I sooo love bacon and steak, etc.. and I know that's what's holding me back. Side-note: I successfully completed Kris Carrs' (from Crazy Sexy Life) "vegan for 3 weeks" challenge and it really wasn't too bad. The only thing that really tripped me up was craving cheese.. and restaurants putting butter on my side dish veggies. Also- you don't necessarily need protein shakes- there's peanut butter, beans, eggs.. lots of stuff with protein in it. I guess the best food combination is rice and beans together- they form a complete protein chain, and include essential amino acids.

Last edited by girlsenberry; 06-29-2011 at 02:14 PM.
girlsenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #33  

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMammoth View Post
I grew up on a farm and as sad as it can sound, you learn to live with it and let it go... Although I was angry as **** when my dad sold the baby cow (who wasn't that baby anymore at this point) that I've been taking care of because his mom died when he was born. I did not talk to my dad for days.

We had chicken too, but I never felt bad about eating chicken. This is honestly the stupidest animal on hearth to me (just behind turkey) lol

I was born and raised eating meat with the family farm, I don,t think I'd be able to clear it from my meals... But I'm impressed of people who can
Poor baby cow! That would have broken my heart. I guess that's life on a farm tho?

lol @ the chicken comment. But they lay eggs & who doesn't love eggs?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

Im one of those shrug it off people. I enjoy my ignorance, and i enjoy the taste and texture. Thats why i could never be a vegetarian, especially Vegan, but kudos to anyone who can do it. I cannot

to add
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsenberry View Post
Also- you don't necessarily need protein shakes- there's peanut butter, beans, eggs..
eggs are a vegan no no. Anything that is produced from animals is a no no. Thats why no milk no eggs, no fish

Last edited by Jinksie; 06-29-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #35  

Quote:
[

Poor baby cow! That would have broken my heart. I guess that's life on a farm tho?

lol @ the chicken comment. But they lay eggs & who doesn't love eggs?
But they ARE really idiotic animal lol. Specially the female ones (sorry don't know the word in english)

If I was dropping one egg in their little park, they would RUUUN to it and EAT IT and fight for it! It wasnt officially their babies, but almost lol they are just weird animals LOL
Old 06-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksie View Post
.. eggs are a vegan no no. Anything that is produced from animals is a no no. Thats why no milk no eggs, no fish
You're totally correct, vegans do not eat anything produced from an animal... but vegetarians can/do, depending on the type of vegetarian they choose to be. There's flexitarians, pescetarians, lacto/ovo vegetarians. I think we both mentioned becoming vegetarians, not vegans. It's waaaaaaay too strict for me, personally.. I love cheese, and the soy/rice ones are nasty, IMO.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #37  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian (I eat eggs and cheese) and absolutely love it. But I never really ate that much meat before so it wasn't a huge transition for me. I've been veg about 3 1/2 years now and can't imagine ever going back. It's definitely made me a more adventurous eater, I'll eat things I never would have eaten before and I've learned to really love cooking.

I did fall into the trap in the beginning where I ate a lot of pasta and carbs to make up for the lack of meat as a main staple in a meal, and even now I have to be very careful to not go carb crazy. But I have tons of cookbooks and magazine subscriptions, and after awhile you realize how easy it is to vegetarianize almost any recipe.

One of my best friends is vegan and because of that I've eaten and cooked vegan meals before. One of my favorite cookie recipes -- for Five Spice Cranberry Cookies -- is vegan and you would have no idea based merely on eating them.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #38  

Thumbs up

I think I could totally become lacto-ovo, but I don't want to eat tofu/soy- do you know of any vegetarian cookbooks that don't rely on it, by chance? They're really hard to come by, for some reason.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #39  

tofu is an acquired taste/texture. I've tried it =p more than once. I like soy milk, again thats a required taste, but you get used to it.
Almond milk is good
Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #40  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Quote:
do you know of any vegetarian cookbooks that don't rely on it, by chance?
Oh, I'm sure I have some in my collection. But seeing as how I own like 15 I can't think of any off the top of my head :-P But I'll take some time this weekend to go through and look.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksie View Post
tofu is an acquired taste/texture. I've tried it =p more than once. I like soy milk, again thats a required taste, but you get used to it.
Almond milk is good
I am no friend of tofu. I just can't stand the texture.. I'd like to have some to boost protein a bit but can't help it lol

I'm down 0,6 pounds this week. I had a big loss last week, and I've been a good girl this week, but TOM is supposed to kick in today.. I guess it explains the 0,6 lbs !
Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #42  

i have energy today, its a miracle!
i took advantage of it, and did 2, that's right TWO zumba videos. lol. Just shy of 2 hours.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/150

Hey everyone. I found some batteries for my scale today and I was down 1.2 lbs as of this morning. Weigh-in is tomorrow, so I'm hoping to have at least a 2 lbs loss for the week, but I'll be happy with any loss. My sinus infection/cold/whatever it is has gotten worse. Today I've had a slight fever and my tonsils are swollen and white looking (never happened to me before). It hurts to turn my neck. Plus my left eye is swollen and burning/itching and I have absolutely NO energy. No medicine has seemed to help so far except for Benedryll, but it puts me to sleep and I have a huge assignment due tonight. I'm have about half left to do, so I'm hoping to get it over with quick so that I can go to sleep.

As for the vegetarian thing, I'm one of those people who could never do it. I don't eat many different vegetables, so would probably end up eating more carbs than I should.

Jinksie - Great job with Zumba. I have it for the Wii and I LOVE it. I'm definitely gonna try to get some in once I'm feeling better.
Live Laugh Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #44  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Had WI yesterday and lost 2.8! I am officially past the 10 pound mark with 11.6 total. Woohoo!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #45  

Good job, Live Laugh Love & Once Upon A Drive!