Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 02:00 PM   #61  
Ilene the Bean

Hi girls !!

SunLuver ~~ STOP the lurking and come and post for gosh sakes!! WE luvs NEWBIES here!!

Ledom ~~ I bet you look awesome, I'd love to learn how to wear makeup properly it makes such a difference, and you don't really need a ton of it to make a difference...

Dip ~~ I agree with Meg and Robin... You would be a definite asset to "Curves" with your attitude and positive thinking... AND even better it would really help you keep on track... Double Whammy!! Good Luck on your interview, I look forward to hearing the results.... You know I don't even remember what I said in that PM I sent you either... BUT it was good... Ah Age and its drawbacks... What can ya do?!?!

Poor hubby worked till amost 1AM, and was back at work for 7AM again, plus he's still on call for the weekend till next Tuesday, he'll probably sleep alot next week.

Well I'm off to the gym in the afternoon again... I don't really mind the cardio at all it really isn't that bad, once I put my mind to it... This weight loss/maintenance is a mind game, so if I put my mind to it I can do anything .... As you can probably tell, I'm stoked these days I feel again on top of the world...

Later all I have some cardio to do...
Old 01-09-2004, 02:13 PM   #62  
Meg

Back from a great chest workout and only 15 minutes of cardio — I’m going to try for more later. Dip, please post about your interview when you can — I’m dying to know how it went.

Couple of thoughts — Kathy, I haven’t ever noticed a difference in weight loss depending on when I exercise. I’ve both worked out and done cardio any time from 5:30 AM to 10:30 PM and never noticed any particular effect on weight loss. I just have to plan my meals around exercise times so that I have something to eat when I come home from the gym.

Sunluver — all lurkers must step forward and introduce themselves properly so that Ilene can greet you. It’s a rule. (please do say hi and tell us a bit about you)

Cindy — I think I understand about the 50# thing and how you’re kind of ambivalent. I still feel that way about losing the weight. It’s embarrassing to me when people congratulate me on losing so much because then it makes me realize how heavy I let myself get — I hate that I did that to myself too. I’m certainly not proud that I ever weighed 257 pounds, you know, and to me all I did was finally get my head together enough to get healthy. I don't feel like it’s a great triumph or accomplishment that’s worthy of congratulations. Having said that though, savor the good feelings that you are experiencing now because they’re what’s going to keep you from ever gaining the weight back.

Ilene, my bud — on the cardio! I know it’s not your favorite (not like Leg Day ) so good for you for just doing it!

Meg
Old 01-09-2004, 04:17 PM   #63  
Meg

Talking My Homemade 3FC T Shirt

I made a 3FC T-shirt to wear to the Discovery Health National Body Challenge tomorrow and put a picture of it in our photo album: http://groups.msn.com/3FCLadiesWhoLi...to&PhotoID=166

Maybe my T-shirt and I will be on TV!

Meg
Old 01-09-2004, 04:38 PM   #64  
Mel

Default Busy day here!

I feel like I've been away for a month, you ladies certainly are chatty. Must be having the board down earlier in the week

Today was a grueling gym day- I trained a new client this morning. She's one of those "skinny- fat people". Funny, I would have been thrilled to look like that 3 years ago. But now I realize there's so much more to health than being able to see every rib. Luckily, she realizes that too and I think it's going to be a lot of fun to train her. Then I had 5 guys in my noon curcuit class which is 2 too many for 1 trainer. I was more like a traffic cop than a trainer. Followed by MY back and bi workout, then a short cardio.

Today was the first day I could walk in shoes without limping. It still hurts, but not excrutiatingly. My dog was beside herself with joy at going for a walk this morning, even tho it was short, rather than being just shoved out the door.

Dip- I'm hoping you have a great interview and get the job. I think you'd be perfect! Let us know how it goes

Mox!! Long time no see! Welcome back, girl. Let us know what you've ben up to.

Tanya- Welcome I think you asked bout how to change personal info? Go to the top of the page and ckick on "CP" or control panel- something along those lines. Then there is a section for "user info" . Just change it there and it should show up everywhere you've posted.

Cat90- Boy I wish my 2 days of pigfest and 2 days of clean meant a 1 pound loss! No, not the best way to do it, but at least you got back on the wagon. Sometimes it feels like that's my maintenance plan, tho.

Lucky- I second the notion that it doesn't matter when you workout, as long as youdo workout. I've done morning, afternoon and night workouts. Doesn't seem to make a bit of a difference. Except that I'm really not an early morning person like Ilene, Karen and Meg, and working out at 5:30 am is just plain dangerous for me. And I have the scars to prove it!

Ledom- I bet you feel like a new woman! I've never done a make-over. Sounds like fun. Of course that would mean actually wearing make-up, and beyond lip gloss, I can't seem to make the effort. Enjoy!

Ilene- Your posts in the winter always make me reconsider dh's grand plan to move back to Ontario. He's got his heart set on moving somewhere around Peterborough in about 6-7 years. I know its lovely in the summer, but winter sounds like exile in the Gulag! Hope your dh gets a break from the weather realted work soon.

Cindy- I know exacly how you feel about the 50 lbs gone. At this point, I'm mortified to think I let myself get to where I was. Yes, I was proud when people noticed and told me how great I look, but I just remember how not great I looked. Does that make sense? Anyway, congrats!

Robin- Did she make you eat both cakes too? I'm not sure I see the logic. But congratualtions for getting past the problems.

Ok, I'm sure I've missed a bunch of you. It wasn't intentional!

Have a great rest of Friday, or Saturday for JC and almost Saturday for Tidey!

Mel
Old 01-09-2004, 04:56 PM   #65  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey you guys! Meg - what a cute shirt! Maybe we'll see you on TV!!

I'm planning on 'weighing in' tomorrow at the local Discovery Store, tho' I'm not expecting cameras. The closest Bally's is on the other side of the Bay, or in San Francisco itself. Bleagh!

Speaking of January Gym Madness, I've noticed our gym isn't nearly as packed as I thought it would be - of course I'm in there by 5 am but I distinctly remember that last year we still had a goodly amount of folk at that time. Must be the new Gold's that opened up on the other side of town - supposed to be realllly nice - but I can walk to my gym, so I'm stickin' with it. All about convenience ya know.

Workout time: I gotta second Mel here on this - the important thing isn't really *WHEN* you work out - just do it! After all these years...I've probably been getting up at 4:00 for the past 8 years to work out - started doing that after I discovered how pleasantly empty the gym was at that time...it's not even a big deal. Besides, the cats wake me up - they want their early-morning snackiepoo, and then after that they go back to bed to snuggle next to Daddy while Mommy goes out in the cold dark morning...

Gotta run for now...this is my last weekend of no riding - I'm back in the saddle next weekend - can't WAIT. I see my PS again two weeks from today unless I have complications, and so far I'm healing wonderfully!
Old 01-09-2004, 08:16 PM   #66  

Evening, gang!

Just got in from dinner which was my free meal this week, and I enjoyed it but not as much as I always *think* I will.

I did a little research about the hairl oss, and it may be I'm not getting enough iron and zinc, so I picked up some Geritol tonic (what, no old fart smiley?) and zinc with anti-ox's. For some reason, when I take zinc it makes my chin break out. So if it breaks out, and the hair loss subsides, then it will have to be a trade-off for awhile.

Cindy, yep, ditto on all those feelings at the -50# mark. It's not as bad as it was, but when people go on and on about the way I look, those feelings resurrect. Unbeknownst to me til the other day, my DIL2b has been showing my fat pix to her friends - both those who've known me and those who didn't then. And it's downright embarrassing. And the men thing - is there some kind of movement for young men to hit on us old broads? What's up with that?

Kathy - same for me about the working out. Only time it makes a difference in the weight loss is when I don't. Venuto recommends in the morning before Meal 1, his theory to burn off yesterday's excess calories. But I have found too it doesn't make any difference - just do it. I think you're going to find with your new job that when you get home, you will be more mentally exhausted than physically. By the time you get dinner and the kids taken care of, it may be too easy to let yourself think you're too tired and let it go. That's the main reason I get it out of the way first thing in the AM. I used to clean the house *before* I went to work, and got up an hour early for that. I'd rather go to bed knowing there's dishes in the sink or wet clothes in the washer, than to go to bed and have not done my exercise. Establishing new habits takes effort, but then *they* become habits in time. Give yourself a chance to adjust to a new way of life. With a new job, it's a good time to make other changes and adjustments too, IMHO.

Ilene - don't feel bad about forgetting what the PM said. There was something I wanted to ask Mrs. Jim and - I forgot what it was!

Hi to all, and Tidey's pierogis. I think I'll whip up a batch this weekend! I've gotten so lazy about real cooking. Why cook when you can eat tuna out of the can?

The interview went real well, and I will be surprised if I don't get offered the job - won't know til next week. The money isn't all that great, but the hours are agreeable and it will get me back into the workforce. They are only open in the evening til 8PM, and Saturday 8Am to noon. Personally, I would not choose a place with such limited hours, but who knows, maybe that helps reinforce the self-discpline? It was my first time in a CURVES - ah, it was different. I wanted to get out in the middle of the floor and get some enthusiam going as the ladies seemed rather bored. The gal who owns it is quite young, and a little chubby herself but very sparkly and sweet. We had a good talk, and it wasn't a tense interview by no means. Her one year anniversary is next month, and she has signed 600 members. Nosey b*tch that I am, I asked her if she's broken even yet, since I very well understand the business side. (How rude, huh?) She said she had, and hoped to find somebody who could take over more of the management part. So I said that we don't know yet where it might lead should she decide on me. SO we shall see.

Well, I need to get out of these clothes and down to the dungeon and get some lifting in before it gets too late.

Hope y'all have a great weekend!

dip
Old 01-10-2004, 07:37 AM   #67  

Meg. I just looked at the t-shirt pic (sorry, I was so tired last night ~ *I forgot*~)

That is so cool! I mentioned 3FC and what it's been to me to the Curves owner yesterday, Of course, she never heard of it. It was part of my speel about understanding and ability to support.

Anyway, love the T-shirt and I bet you get many questions when people see it.

dip
Old 01-10-2004, 12:51 PM   #68  
Gym'll fix it!!

Meg the T-Shirt is awesome you look great (as usual ) but i'm rather disappointed because i expected some purple tie died thing that WE JUST COULD'NT MISS! it looks exactly like the logo from the website..i guess you took it from there did you? may i ask exactly how you did it?

Today is the day i try my hand at lifting again...only manage 15mins as like i said i find it boring and i'm not sure if i'm doing things right although i have'nt been feeling any pain just a little soreness so i think everything is OK..i'll go out later and see if i can find a video in Walmart or something.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:14 PM   #69  
Lovin' Zumba!

Good afternoon ladies - just checkin in to say "Hi!"

Dip - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on the Curves thing - those ladies could use you! And who knows, this could turn into a whole new career for you!

Cathy - good luck with your lifting - do let us know if you have any questions.

Meg - great shirt - hope you do end up on TV. Was the place a mad house???

No place local for me to weigh in, so I can't participate. No biggie - I just thought it would be fun to be part of the fun!

Got my UBWO in yesterday, and then spent at least an hour outside in this freezing weather due to car problems. I stupidly left my lights on in the morning, realized the battery was dead after I worked out, then had to have it jumped only to find it leaking antifreeze once it did start! Luckily I have great, helpful coworkers and and second car, so it's only the inconvenience and repair costs that I have to deal with.

Planning on spending much time today working out my caloric intake plan for the next few weeks. I am going to try varying from day to day as JC had suggested, but first I need to figure out what I've really been eating lately! I've been so hungry this week since I started working out again, So, I'll be figuring this all out - wish me luck!

Ok, time to get back to some organizing and cleaning! (too cold here to do much else - the wind chill is -15F!)
Cindy
Old 01-10-2004, 03:40 PM   #70  
Uber-Moderator!!

Happy Saturday Ladies

Well...it's a little after noon here in Cali...

Just got back from registering and weighing in for the Discovery Health Body Challenge. Ya know, I figured that since we don't have a Ballys' close by, it wouldn't be very crowded. BOY was I soooo wrong...got there at 10:15 (fifteen minutes after the mall opened) and I was #122 in line! They only had 125 goodie bags so I definitely got there at the right time. Lots of different sized folk in line - men and women. I chatted a bit with the people around me (since we were waiting almost an hour to get weighed and registered). Told them about 3FC so maybe some folk who were in line will stop by and check us out!

My major goal for 2004 is to get back into my size 4's. Right now (post TT) I'm in my size 6's with a pretty loose waist...I could probably SQUEEZE into my 4's but I want them to be COMFY. Other goals are to get my muscle back to where it was before my surgery. Since I have been forbidden to do anything strenuous for six weeks (Monday 19th is the end of six weeks for me YAY) I'm SURE I've lost strength. But I'm also certain I'll get my strength back pretty quickly - muscle memory and all that ya know.

Cindy - you can *still* participate in the National Body Challenge by signing up online - at www.discovery.com/health. You don't get the goodie bag, but you can still use all the tools they have online. I've yet to review them, but plan to this weekend!

Gotta run - hair appointment today - I look like the Shaggy Dog right now...
Old 01-10-2004, 03:58 PM   #71  
Meg

Default The National Body Challenge

Whew, Karen, I’m just back from weighing in too! Wow oh wow, were there crowds of people! The gym opens at 8:00 on Saturdays and the weigh-in was to start at 9:00. I arrived at 7:55 (it was 6 degrees out!) to do cardio and there was a huge line — at least 300 an hour before the weigh-in started. I went upstairs to do cardio and then left, since the line was even longer at that point. I went back at 2:00 this afternoon and there still were tons of people but I stood in line and waited. They had run out of the kits hours earlier but said that they’d mail one — including the free gym pass — to everyone in a week to ten days.

I was proudly wearing my 3FC T-shirt and talked to lots of people as I was waiting. I think that shirt is going to be my new favorite workout shirt! There were TV cameras there filming but I wasn’t interviewed (darn, but I’m not what they’re looking for). I wasn't very happy with the scale, of course, since there’s a considerable difference between weighing first thing in the AM, naked, and in the afternoon with gym clothes and shoes on. But anyway, I’m officially enrolled, like Karen, and plan to go back (in 12 weeks?) to complete the Challenge.

On a unrelated note, I’ve been really enjoying spaghetti squash lately. Last night I made a sauce with crushed tomatoes and 95% lean ground beef (and garlic and herbs) and it sure tasted like spaghetti to me!

Hope everyone’s having great weekends!

Meg

PS -- Cathy -- I made the shirt by copying the web site logo, saving it as a picture and then pasting it into Publisher, flipping it and printing it off on iron-on transfer paper.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:29 PM   #72  
Ilene the Bean

Good afternoon Girls

It's a chilly -21C or -5F in Eastern Ontario and it's extremely sunny, to I imagine that tonite will get down to -27C or less.

Mel ~~ Can I come over and knock some sense into your DH?? It's darn cold here!! Peterborough is even colder because it's much further north...Although I agree it is very nice there in the summer, it only lasts maybe 4 months...... out of 12!!

Meg ~~ I'm really lovin' the cardio these days, I can already feel the difference in my clothes, or maybe it's all in my head... but hey it works....

On a similar note, I went to the mall, I badly need some black dress pants... I tried 12s on, several pairs, different companies, too big!! Size 10s, fit!! I keep thinking, that there's got to be a mistake in the tag, but I tried several pairs on... I think it's Dip who said that we have a body image distortion problem... after today I certainly think I do... So instread of buying size 10s, (this is really silly), I'm going to buy some good running shoes to jog on the treadmill, work myself down to an 8 and then buy some size 8 pants... then in my own way I'll be in "onederland" ...

Anyways I'm babbling...gotta go to mass...

Later all....
Old 01-10-2004, 04:30 PM   #73  
Ilene the Bean

Geez Meg -- I forgot to mention the T shirt --- looks really good!!
Old 01-10-2004, 04:55 PM   #74  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

OK Karen, I just went to the Discovery site and signed up. And thanks Meg for mentioning spaghetti squash - I have been trying to think of lower carb meals lately and that just fits the bill.

A good workout today - chest, bis, 30 min. cardio.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:36 PM   #75  

Hi buds!

Cold here too but not as bad as in the NE, and we had plenty of sun today.

Ilene - I think that's such a great idea about the 8's! And I'm betting you're not that far from it. Yep, it's me with the big-time distorted body image. I'm so use to wearing baggy clothes, that to me, clothes that fit don't look right even though I've been told different.

I've been on a spaghetti squash kick too, and get it all to myself because DH doesn't care for it. When I roast it, I sprinkle with garlic and ital/Oregano seasoning, slice some tomatoes on top, and I'm in heaven. I never thought it tasted like spaghetti, just thought it was called that by the way ot comes out of the shell. We tried to grow some a few years back, but didn't have much luck. I will try again this Spring but in a different part of the garden.

Well, I still have some odds and ends to finish up, and then off to bed. I'm kind of tired and moody this evening - just ask DH, LOL.

dip
Closed Thread